Animal Battle: The Gray Wolf vs. The Spotted Hyena

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Z___

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Z___

1. One-on-One between full-grown males. 50 KG for the wolf, 40 KG for the hyena. The wolf is about 22.5 pounds heavier than the hyena in this battle.

2. Wolf pack get's 15 members in total. Hyena pack get 12 members in total. Same weight-classes as 1.

Fight to KO or death.

Morals off, blood-lust for the wolf/wolves and morals on for the hyena(s) (but they/it's vary of the wolf's state of mind).

Each species get's knowledge on the other. Imagine that each species has observed the other's hunting skills for a week on the other's territory, so they know what they're going up against.

Z'

Z___

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone?~

Z'

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, you know I'm not sure, I'm thinking the hyenas but I don't have any particular reasons right now

Greendevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hyena stomps all rounds

Reasons:

Stronger bite force, MUCH more durable and of course size advantage.

monarch_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hyenas all rounds because of jaw pressure.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hyena stomps all rounds

Reasons:

Stronger bite force, MUCH more durable and of course size advantage.

How are they more durable?

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hyena's.

Greater Bite force.

More intelligence.

Greater size in the some of the rounds.

Are used to intimidating other animals in order to take meals.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Hyena all rounds, stronger bite, hyenas should be faster and smarter. Hyenas have to deal with getting bullied by lions, should be overall tougher.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Mandarinestro

Hyenas curbstomp.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:

Hyena's.

Greater Bite force.

More intelligence.

Greater size in the some of the rounds.

Are used to intimidating other animals in order to take meals.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hyenas

Z___

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z___: Still Hyenas, but a better fight in round 2.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Round 1: Hyenas.

Round 2: Wolfpack.

Jmarshmallow

Arcus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z___: I'm still unsure, this does seem pretty close

Z___

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

@z___: Still Hyenas, but a better fight in round 2.

Round 2: Wolfpack.

Thanks for participating guys. But what are your reasons on round 2, both of you?

@arcus said:

@z___: I'm still unsure, this does seem pretty close

Glad to hear that.

@leo-343 said:

What Mr marshmallow said

Understood.

Z'

Z___

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Z___

@z___ said:

@thevivas: @jmarshmallow: @mandarinestro: @lukehero: @laflux: @those_eyes: @leo-343: @monarch_prime: @greendevil: @arcus:

Alright, big rule changes. Any responses? There are still realistic proportions for each animal.

Z'

Also, these will be the the last changes I will be making to the battle. Sorry for the trouble, as I want to keep this alive for the last time and see what responses we can get for this balanced animal battle. ( This animal battle has been debated for years, so I want to see who comes out on top with these rules. ) Thanks!

Z'

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mickey-mouse

@z___: Wolves are just slightly above dogs. Hyenas have to deal with lions, and have the 6th strongest bite in the world. I like to see some wolves fight off the Kings of the Savannah.

No Caption Provided
Loading Video...

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jmarshmallow

@z___: I say the Wolfpack Round 2 because I feel like the numbers would give them a significant advantage.

They're already decently close 1 on 1, but with a number advantage the Wolves should win.

Jmarshmallow

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hyenas still in round 1, but wolf pack in round 2. In animal fights, numbers usually make a big difference. In three of the fights, the wolves will have a 2 on 1 advantage. Even if a hyena can kill one of them, there's no way he's beating two wolves by himself. Add that to another fight, and you get a 3/2 on 1 again, and this counts for three separate fight scenarios(seeing as how two wolves can kill a hyena faster than one hyena can kill one wolf). From there, it's numbers vs bite strength, which I think numbers will win.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I guess the Hyena's are approaching Brown Hyena size now. Thing is though, Striped Hyena's which are even smaller than Brown Hyena's can displace Wolves on a one to one basis where their ranges overlap.

The prep doesn't really count for much- though if any advantage goes to the Hyena's as they are smarter.

I may go with Hyena's still.

Z___

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Z___

@lukehero: Sure, but I'd say the wolf is arguable more agile and he's carrying ore weight here. You still think that won't make a difference?

@jmarshmallow said:

@z___: I say the Wolfpack Round 2 because I feel like the numbers would give them a significant advantage.

They're already decently close 1 on 1, but with a number advantage the Wolves should win.

Jmarshmallow

Alright, but the hyenas are only outnumbered by 1/5. Still don't think they can pull it off with their intelligence, teamwork, durability and deadly bite force?

And what do you think 1-on-1? How close will it be and who will win?

Z'

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

People are overrating bite force. It doesn't matter which is greater when both are more than enough to kill.

its like comparing a 20 gauge shotgun to a 12 gauge when trying to kill a human. They both will put a hole so big into a guy that they're dead.

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hyena curbstomps all rounds. Bigger, stronger, tougher, better weapons.

WarlordEternal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

Hyena's

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't a Gray Wolf's bite 1500 psi?

Z___

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Z___

@fallschirmjager said:

People are overrating bite force. It doesn't matter which is greater when both are more than enough to kill.

its like comparing a 20 gauge shotgun to a 12 gauge when trying to kill a human. They both will put a hole so big into a guy that they're dead.

I agree.

@xlr87t3 said:

Hyena curbstomps all rounds. Bigger, stronger, tougher, better weapons.

I doubt the Hyena would win in such an easy fashion.

@etheral_dreams said:

Isn't a Gray Wolf's bite 1500 psi?

Perhaps, but Hyena's is more because it's jaws are bigger/stronger and shaped more compactly, I believe.

Z'

Doom_Phd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hyenas are scavengers by nature.

Grey wolves track down and hunt American buffalo the largest land animal on this hemisphere, and they can take hits from.

Grey wolves are extremely more intelligent as it doesn't kill it head on but from under its guts.

Stronger bite forces means jack if you're facing a more resilient beast who has to defend itself from grizzlies who are superior to lions.

Doom_Phd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hyenas are scavengers by nature.

Grey wolves track down and hunt American buffalo the largest land animal on this hemisphere, and they can take hits from.

Grey wolves are extremely more intelligent as it doesn't kill it head on but from under its guts.

Stronger bite forces means jack if you're facing a more resilient beast who has to defend itself from grizzlies who are superior to lions.

icecold14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hyena wins round 1

Wolf pack wins round 2

18hunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greendevil: heyna males are small, and they are outnumbered

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hyena wins round 1

Wolf pack wins round 2

Etheral_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@18hunt said:

@greendevil: heyna males are small, and they are outnumbered

Male Hyenas are the same size as large male wolves. Female Hyenas are bigger than both. They're still considerably more resilient than Wolves as well as being physically stronger (as strong as a leopard, even stronger in some areas of the body), so a +3 numbers advantage is not enough to save the wolves from their deaths.

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it's like comparing a guy with full plate-mail armor and sword to a smaller guy without armor and a dagger.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 juiceboks  Moderator

Hyenas aren't hunters, they'll go for the easy and dying food source if they can. Wolves consistently hunt and fight larger prey and with rather great efficiency. Hyenas are probably more ferocious scrappers, but Wolves work better as a group. And with numbers advantage I don't see how they lose.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Wolves. Greater endurance, better instincts, and even though hyenas bite harder wolves bite plenty hard to get the job done. Wolves are better hunters/killers overall, they don't engage in a fight and thrash it out. It's death by 1,000 cuts. He wounds you, let you exert yourself, cuts you again. You're drained slowly and steadily. It's like a knife fighter taunting you as you slowly bleed out. If the hyena can get a hold of the wolf and end it quickly...that's his only real chance. Too bad wolves' thick fur provides natural protection of such a thing. I've seen videos on NatGeo of timber wolves, alone, taking down mountain lions and similar with the same tactics. I've never seen any videos of hyenas going one on one with anything. I'd say the wolf has this, jaw strength isn't everything. Intelligence and endurance count for a lot with survival.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@xlr87t3 said:

@fallschirmjager said:

No, it's like comparing a guy with full plate-mail armor and sword to a smaller guy without armor and a dagger.

No its not, because armor implies one animal's bite force can't do anything. Which is wrong. The Wolf's bite will have no issues killing at all.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

Sorry for bumping an old thread and no offense, but some people on this thread have no clue on what they are talking about. For one a Hyena is much bigger than a wolf. Most on this thread were saying one of the reasons the Spotted Hyenas would win is due to them being bigger. Ironically they're both almost identical in size.

Average Grey Wolf size:

1. The average is seven years in the wild and twelve years in captivity. North American Gray Wolves range from 40 to 175 pounds, with female wolves weighing slightly less than males. Wolves in the northern United States tend to be larger some reaching 130 pounds or more.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wolf+vs+hyena+size+comparison&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=pxCFVIncIOresASb7YCICw&sqi=2&pjf=1&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAA&dpr=1#q=average+grey+wolf+weight

Average Spotted Hyena size:

Males-67.6 kg (149 lb), and

-females 69.2 kg(153Ib)

https://www.google.com/search?q=wolf+vs+hyena+size+comparison&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=pxCFVIncIOresASb7YCICw&sqi=2&pjf=1&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAA&dpr=1#q=average+hyena+weight

The are very similar in stats, behavior and patterns.

As for who would win? I'm picking the wolf...

The bite force a lot people also bought up for it being the determining factor against a wolf. Hyena indeed has an edge of bite force over this wolf. But when it comes to maneuverability fight(which to me is important), the wolf clearly has an advantage. Hyena is slower than the wolf and not as comfortable on land as the wolf because of their slightly shorter hind legs of the Hyenas compared to its forelegs. You should see a hyena-hyena fight and a wolf-wolf fight to notice the difference. Also I think remember seeing a video of a dog rushing a Hyena and outwrestling it in the Middle East. Hyena takes advantage of its bite force and once it bites its teeth on an animal, its strategy is to continue the biting despite the prey's (or rival's) movement in defence. Wolf does the same to its prey. Both animals kill their prey by "a thousand bites", unlike big cats.

These are the advantages and disadvantages that equal sized wolf and hyena would have over each other:-

1. Canines: Hyenas far exceed the bite for of the wolf. But wolf has sharper canines and is also capable of inflicting fatal damage to the Hyena. Though one must note that the bite force between a Hyena and wolf is not that great as people make out in this thread. Hyenas have a bite force around 1000lbs, while a medium sized wolf had a bite force of around 750lbs.

2. Maneuverability: Wolves have an edge here. Hyenas are slightly "awkward" in land because of their unusually longer forelimbs compared to the hind legs (unlike most other four-legged predators)

3. Speed : Clearly the wolf has an advantage.

4. Endurance: I think someone mentioned that Wolves have this in their favor. And from watching Wolf packing hunting videos I agree.

Both animals don't use their claws, although the wolf can use it a bit more easily than the Hyena.

Considering the above points, I find no reason why, at equal weights, a wolf is any inferior to the Hyena.

Hyena's only advantage is its bite force, but one should remember that the wolf has a sharper canine and its canines are designed to penetrate the body, unlike the Hyena's teeth which are designed to rip apart the body or to crush the bones.

So IMO the Grey Wolf takes it due to being more faster, agile, better wrestler and quite intelligent.

Avatar image for raimundopedrosa
raimundopedrosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By raimundopedrosa

Hyenas have some seriously thick necks, have to deal with lions, elephants, and much larger animals than the wolves do. A male spotted hyena is around the same size as an alpha male grey wolf, but its bite is much more lethal, it has greater stamina, and its strength far outmatches anything that the grey wolf has ever shown. The female spotted hyena is even larger and stronger than that, so that is a mismatch. But anyway, male against male, the hyena would absolutely destroy. The hyena's bite can easily cause some serious blood loss for the wolf and one bite will be more than enough to absolutely cripple the wolf, rendering it helpless for the entirety of the fight. Now it will take more than one bite to have a similar effect on the hyena. Hyenas run much faster than do the wolves and for greater periods of times. There is absolutely no way that a bone crushing bite from the hyena would fail against the grey wolf, as the wolf would be simply defenseless in all meanings of the word. A hyena would rip a wolf to shreds; it has all the advantages that it needs such as jaw power,slight weight advantage and great durability. To those who say hyenas are just scavengers: they're not; they mostly hunt large prey such as zebras, wildebeest, huge antelopes, and buffalos; they become even more aggressive at night. They are roughly the same size, but for sheer muscle-power, bite-power, strength... the wolf has no chance.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honey Badger don't care...

NothingClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As others have mentioned, hyenas are matriarchal and females are bigger and meaner. The hyenas are at a disadvantage here.

Avatar image for deactivated-611e764976bba
deactivated-611e764976bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a female wolf can kill a male hyena.

raimundopedrosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dailyukulele: @nothingclever: Wtf at you guys smoking? The MALE hyena is around the same size as an alpha male grey wolf and MUCH stronger and more durable. It would tear it absolutely to shreds and take much less damage. MISMATCH!

A FEMALE spotted hyena, ESPECIALLY A MATRIARCH, is even more dangerous and would absolutely slaughter any wolf.

Whether or not you guys like it, hyenas slaughter wolves.

Frisky4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NothingClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raimundopedrosa: my point was that if "alphas" are being pitted against each other then the hyena(s) should be female.

raimundopedrosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raimundopedrosa: my point was that if "alphas" are being pitted against each other then the hyena(s) should be female.

Well, that's a mismatch, because healthy, full grown male wolves are around the same size as healthy, full grown male hyenas, and female hyenas are larger and stronger than both. But male against male, the wolf has a better chance, but still loses due to lesser power and durability.

Female stomps both and a female hyena against a female grey wolf would be a massacre.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By laflux

@juiceboks said:

Hyenas aren't hunters, they'll go for the easy and dying food source if they can. Wolves consistently hunt and fight larger prey and with rather great efficiency. Hyenas are probably more ferocious scrappers, but Wolves work better as a group. And with numbers advantage I don't see how they lose.

@granitesoldier said:

Wolves. Greater endurance, better instincts, and even though hyenas bite harder wolves bite plenty hard to get the job done. Wolves are better hunters/killers overall, they don't engage in a fight and thrash it out. It's death by 1,000 cuts. He wounds you, let you exert yourself, cuts you again. You're drained slowly and steadily. It's like a knife fighter taunting you as you slowly bleed out. If the hyena can get a hold of the wolf and end it quickly...that's his only real chance. Too bad wolves' thick fur provides natural protection of such a thing. I've seen videos on NatGeo of timber wolves, alone, taking down mountain lions and similar with the same tactics. I've never seen any videos of hyenas going one on one with anything. I'd say the wolf has this, jaw strength isn't everything. Intelligence and endurance count for a lot with survival.

Old bump, but the underratting of Hyena's here is criminal. Hyena's have killed Hippo's, Cape Buffalo and Eland, which are easily the same size (or greater) of any of the largest predators take on. Single Hyena's dominate Leopards over kills, which are stronger and more dangerous than Puma's. The endurance thing is invalid, Spotted Hyena's are some of the best endurance runner among Carnivorous mammals, there heart makes up 1 percent of thier body mass (more than twice as much as a lion), and they have chased Gemsbok over 2 miles at 60 kph in order wear them down and kill them. The intelligence arguement is also false, Spotted Hyena's have outperformed Chimpanzee's in co-operative tests and thier social structure otherwise is more representative of some Primates. And Gray Wolves have been observed to have a success rate of as low as 10 percent in some case, while Hyena's are often better hunters than Lions (who steal from them) and they manage 30 percent.