#1 Posted by KingOfAsh (3265 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm curious to who would win. I'm knowledgable about Alexander the Great, but I've always been curious to who would win in a fight between him and Gangis Khan. As I know little of Ghangis Khan, so I thought one of you might know.

Let's say the first fight is on a large flat field with all their forces, then a slope, then a personal fight between Alexander the Great and Ghengis Khan (on a mountaintop)!

Also, I...don't know how to spell Ghangas Khan, sorry.

#2 Posted by Dredeuced (4438 posts) - - Show Bio

Khan's forces slaughter Alexander's in all situations (Horse back archery based armies absolutely crushed your typical phalanx and infantry formations the greeks used), I have no idea who wins between Alexander and Khan in a duel because every bit of knowledge about their personages is speculative at best.

#3 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19489 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll place bets on Alexander the Great.

#4 Posted by beautifulrevery (1457 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't this done on deadliest warrior? If so I think Genghis took the fight. Army wise what @Dredeuced: is true

#5 Posted by nerdork (3481 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Edited by Yuri_Omega (107 posts) - - Show Bio

Khan and Suboutai stomp. I'd actually argue that Suboutai, Khan's major domo, was a better commander than the boss man himself. It's just that Khan had more Charisma and was himself a military genius which prevented Suboutai from taking over the mongols.

Seriously, read up on how Suboutai humiliated every army he came up against. The whole might of Eastern Europe was thrown at him and he demolished it in all of two battles.

#7 Posted by Yuri_Omega (107 posts) - - Show Bio

Alexander uses hammer and anvil tactics, formadible, but counterable if you could neutralize any aspect of it. The hammer in this case was the Cavalry. The Companions in particular. However, the Mongols made a sport of killing heavy cavalry men. As Alexander liked to ride out with his men and the Mongols had far more discipline and organization than silly rabble like the Huns and the Scythians, who were nothing more than Barbarians who really had no concept of tactics. Alexander's Cavalry arm would be isolated and dragged away from the pikeline, which would never get to see the mongols during the cavalry clash due to being a slow moving phalanx in a cavalry engagement.

The Cavalry would think they have the enemy on the run until the ambush is sprung and a rain of arrows is focused on the companions. Alexander himself would most likely be killed during the ambush, and then just like in real life; with the death of Alexander his whole army comes crashing down like a house of cards. The pikeline will get Alexander back, or more correctly; they'll get his head back to demoralize them. It's quite likely the phalanx would just surrender after Alexander dies, or if it chooses to fight on, they throw fodder infantry at the front then roll up it's flanks with heavy cavalry now that it's cavalry is gone.

#8 Posted by ShootingNova (13130 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Genghis Khan wins. The Mangudai (Monglian Horse Archers) were exceptional in the use of surprise, misdirection and an army of Mangudai could easily destroy an greater army of regular soldiers (particularly foot soldiers).

In a one-on-one, Khan should still be winning. I mean, correct me should I be wrong, but wasn't Alexander one of those swordsmen? Genghis was also a Horse Archer, so he would have the advantage of range and that's a good win.

@beautifulrevery said:

Wasn't this done on deadliest warrior? If so I think Genghis took the fight. Army wise what @Dredeuced: is true

That show is just horrible sometimes. In any case, Genghis won against Hannibal.

#9 Posted by Alyssabird (1363 posts) - - Show Bio

Genghis Khan neatly took over the world! So he wins by default.

#10 Posted by MonsterStomp (13177 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

I'll place bets on Alexander the Great.
#11 Posted by Frocharocha (1969 posts) - - Show Bio

The strategies of Khan defeat even the mighest of the Roman Empire army's and strategies. My votes goes to Khan.

#12 Posted by Sergeant Arch Dornan (227 posts) - - Show Bio

Question, how many of you know anything at all on pre-gunpowder tactics? If you don't you are by no means qualified for this debate and really should leave the discussion to those who do.

#13 Posted by Frocharocha (1969 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sergeant Arch Dornan said:

Question, how many of you know anything at all on pre-gunpowder tactics? If you don't you are by no means qualified for this debate and really should leave the discussion to those who do.

Gengis Khan usually attacked on Hordes. I don't know how he was able to go trough The Roman Empire shield walls. But unless Alexander comes with a good strategy, i see Khan winning.

#14 Posted by Sergeant Arch Dornan (227 posts) - - Show Bio

@Frocharocha said:

@Sergeant Arch Dornan said:

Gengis Khan usually attacked on Hordes. I don't know how he was able to go trough The Roman Empire shield walls. But unless Alexander comes with a good strategy, i see Khan winning.

The Roman Empire died out nearly eight hundred years before Temujin was even born.

#15 Posted by beautifulrevery (1457 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShootingNova: I can agree with that(the zombies vs vampire episode for starters) but for what it's worth it had quite a good insight into things that weren't team vs team battles which were horribly inconsistent in my opinion.

#16 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

I've gotta go with Khan. I don't think Alexander's forces are going to be able to make up for the range and mobility advantages that the Khan's forces have.

#17 Posted by Pyrogram (32263 posts) - - Show Bio

@Alyssabird said:

Genghis Khan neatly took over the world! So he wins by default.

not entirely true :)

#18 Posted by age_of_ultron_Prime2000 (1217 posts) - - Show Bio

Alexander the Great.