#1 Posted by EternalWrath (106 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Location ; New York City Streets. Both are 25 ft. on the road. 
  • No people are on the streets.
  • Winner by Death.
  • NO prep.
  • No morals.
  • Who wins, viners? 

#2 Posted by Strider92 (16238 posts) - - Show Bio

Mercer should win this. Stronger, faster and more versatile. I'm not even sure death spore would effect Alex as he's not technically alive.

#3 Edited by Dextersinister (5920 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

Mercer should win this. Stronger, faster and more versatile. I'm not even sure death spore would effect Alex as he's not technically alive.

I've seen the not technically alive bit before but he is. It was some crap based on him being a mutated virus but he has a metabolism therefore he is alive.

He probably wins, I would have said he wins if I hadn't played 2.

#4 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6224 posts) - - Show Bio

If Mercer's effected by deathspores, then I don't see how he does win ...

Deathspores were enough to drop Colossus and Rogue. Even with Wolverine's healing factor, he was only playing with prey.

He's also tough enough to soak class 100 blows, eat Wolverine's claws all day long without slowing, walk through explosions ... so he can stay in the game while the deathspores chew Mercer up.

#5 Posted by Simon_the_digger (2888 posts) - - Show Bio

Mercer Stomps

#6 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6224 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ferdelance said:

Mercer Stomps

Probably not.

#7 Edited by Strider92 (16238 posts) - - Show Bio

@Super_SoldierXII: Well the question is can Omega red's death spores effect Mercer? After doing some research I think the answer is no.

Omega Red's death spores are pheromones right? He secretes them and they destroy people unlucky enough to be caught in their radius. There in lies the problem for Red. Pheromones are detected by the Jacobson Organ in animals this is what allows them to have an effect over animals. Alex has no organs it was even stated during one of the games (i'll try and find the quote) there is nothing for him to absorb/process the pheromones with. He doesn't even need to breath.

So due to Alex's completely inhuman make-up how are the pheromones going to effect him if the part of his body that interacts with them and allows them to have some kind of effect on their target isn't even present in his body? Not to mention that fact that he's a virus also calls their effectiveness into question.

@Dextersinister said:

It was some crap based on him being a mutated virus but he has a metabolism therefore he is alive.

Proof of this? To my knowledge it was never stated that he had a metabolism. In fact it was due to the fact that he didn't have a metabolism that he had to absorb people during the first Prototype to keep feeling healthy.

Alex can't self-metabolize. If he could why would he need to consume people to stay alive? Just like all viruses he needed a host to process his genetic material/metabolize (he was unable to do it on his own) and stay on the move hence the reason he had to consume people.

#8 Posted by Dextersinister (5920 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: Why would they state he has a metabolism, that would be beyond stupid. It would be like stating that he has higher brain functions. He needs a metabolism or he would be incapable of processing the consumed bodies into a form of usable energy that allows him to move.

He was also effected by the Blacklights gas so his body must have processed that on some level.

#9 Posted by Ms. Omega (4421 posts) - - Show Bio

Whats to keep Mercer from absorbing Omega Red?

#10 Edited by Strider92 (16238 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dextersinister said:

@Strider92: Why would they state he has a metabolism, that would be beyond stupid.

Why would it be stupid? Viruses cannot self-metabolize. it stands to reason that he cannot metabolize as he needs to absorb other people to keep himself functioning. Just like viruses need hosts to replicate, metabolize and stay functional.

@Dextersinister said:

He was also effected by the Blacklights gas so his body must have processed that on some level.

Black lights gas? What are we talking here? The part at the beginning when the virus became Alex?

#11 Posted by MonsterStomp (16689 posts) - - Show Bio

There was a thread where it was Master Chief vs Omega Red. There were more for Master Chief. Alex Mercer > MC. Mercer stomps.

#12 Posted by Sorceror_Swift (535 posts) - - Show Bio

Mercer could probably win.

It is NOT - I repeat NOT - a stomp.

#13 Posted by Dextersinister (5920 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: He absorbs people so he can break them down into a usable source of energy so that he can continue to move and sustain himself, that's pretty much standard metabolizing right there.

The gas that you encounter mid way through the game that starts killing you until he adapts to it.

#14 Posted by Bo88gdan (4393 posts) - - Show Bio

Omega red wins

#15 Edited by Strider92 (16238 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dextersinister: Ok lets break this down another way.

What we know about Alex: He IS a virus they made abundantly clear at the end of the game that the Alex you are playing is just Blacklight with Alex's consciousness.

What we are speculating on: Whether he metabolizes or not. This is mostly speculative on both our parts as there is no concrete evidence he does or does not and theories for both can be made for both.

So if we take these two points and compare them what do we get? Well we know that Blacklight is a virus. Its called the Blacklight virus throughout both games you even get a diagram of how the virus infects people people. So Blacklight is a virus but i'm pretty sure you weren't arguing against that.

Viruses cannot metabolize by themselves, they cannot replicate on their own, they are non-cellular etc.... The only 100% concrete thing we know about Alex is that he is a virus so he must obey these laws. So how can he self-metabolize if he is a virus?

In general science viruses are not considered living correct? (i'm not asking if you agree with this definition or not. That is another debate entirely) So if they are not considered living on scientific terms how can Alex who is nothing but a virus be considered living?

#16 Edited by Dextersinister (5920 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: You are comparing a base biological entity the virus to a complex one Alex Mercer. I am not speculating, Alex Mercer needs energy for locomotion which he can only gain through metabolizing just like every other living organism on this planet. Unless of course he runs on magic.

Alex Mercer can no longer fall under the definition of a virus.

#17 Edited by Strider92 (16238 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dextersinister said:

@Strider92: You are comparing a base biological entity the virus to a complex one Alex Mercer. I am not speculating, Alex Mercer needs energy for locomotion which he can only gain through metabolizing just like every other living organism on this planet. Unless of course he runs on magic.

Bu viruses do not run on their own energy they run on what they take from living cells. Which is the same case here.

We've gone slightly off topic the argument was whether Alex is living or not. To me its no simply because:

1. Is Alex a virus? Yes

2. Are viruses considered as living beings? No

I can't really see how to argue with that. I know many people don't agree that viruses should be considered as non-living things but in general science and our current definition they are.

#18 Edited by Dextersinister (5920 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: A virus is incapable of moving under it's own power in any way, it's movement is dictated entirely by it's surroundings. Alex moves under his own power because he has a metabolism there can be no other explanation, it is that simple. If he is called a virus in game is of little importance, the science behind how he could possibly function would dictate that he is alive.

Alex is most likely the genetic material of a virus that has attached itself to the cells of the dead Alex Mercer to become what he is now.

#19 Posted by Strider92 (16238 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dextersinister said:

@Strider92: A virus is incapable of moving under it's own power in any way, it's movement is dictated entirely by it's surroundings. Alex moves under his own power because he has a metabolism there can be no other explanation, it is that simple. If he is called a virus in game is of little importance, the science behind how he could possibly function would dictate that he is alive.

Alex is most likely the genetic material of a virus that has attached itself to the cells of the dead Alex Mercer to become what he is now.

Being incapable of movement is not a pre-requisite of being a virus. Animals like coral and Jellyfish can't move of their own volition and require water currents to get around. While no virus we know of can say crawl across the floor it is not a requisite of being a virus.

Prototype 1 was pretty insistent that there was nothing of Alex Mercer left and that the Mercer you play is simply the virus who thinks its Mercer.

#20 Posted by Dextersinister (5920 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: Having a metabolism which he most clearly does is prerequisite of being alive.

They did mention that it is was a doppleganger and no longer Mercer but it is still made up almost entirely of his remains, there is no other explanation of how it got to be Mercer sized from the tube that it was in.

#21 Posted by GhostRider2 (3279 posts) - - Show Bio

Alex would win this.

#22 Edited by Protowiz (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Mercer wins.

Not saying it's any easy fete, but seriously... lets look at the facts...

Mercer is faster than OR

Mercer is stronger than OR

Mercer is more resiliant than OR

Mercer has more useful abilities than OR (except that pheromone thing which, let's be honest, wont affect mercer enough to kill him quick enough)

------------------------

Okay, for those stating that the pheromone will kill mercer here's an answer: it probably will. However, mercer has an intense healing factor and is himself a virus, so the pheromone will definitely not kill him instantly, or even within a few hours i reckon

. If Wolverine wasn't affected by the pheromone after an 18 hour fight, I doubt mercer would be grievously affected after what would probably be a significantly shorter fight.