• 65 results
#51 Posted by i_like_swords (13288 posts) - - Show Bio

Because we're just pretending. :( Disney sucks.

It feels icky.

Literally all that has changed is that the EU isn't in the same timelines as the original films, and the sh*tty TCW animation. That's it. Everything else in the EU counts. I don't get why it's a big deal.. the EU brought a lot more to the universe than TCW animation and films ever did.

#52 Edited by Syndicate (363 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure ILS sure... :(

#53 Posted by RogueShadow (10044 posts) - - Show Bio

@syndicate said:

Because we're just pretending. :( Disney sucks.

@rogueshadow said:

It feels icky.

Literally all that has changed is that the EU isn't in the same timelines as the original films, and the sh*tty TCW animation. That's it. Everything else in the EU counts. I don't get why it's a big deal.. the EU brought a lot more to the universe than TCW animation and films ever did.

I'm not saying the EU isn't awesome... I don't get your point, it isn't canon, that's that.

I was actually going to watch TCW, is it really that bad?

#54 Posted by Syndicate (363 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a great series.

#55 Posted by i_like_swords (13288 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not saying the EU isn't awesome... I don't get your point, it isn't canon, that's that.

> The EU isn't canon with 6 movies and 1 animation

> Let's not ever discuss it again

This is where I'm confused. I didn't start reading the EU as a companion to George Lucas' precious main timeline. I read the EU because I love the stories and want to learn more about the universe past what's on the big screen. And now that it is now, officially, it's own universe under the Legends banner, I don't get what the issue is. It's essentially something like Marvel's Ultimate Universe, or an alternate timeline. It hasn't just disappeared. It still exists. It just exists on it's own.

Some of it is... f*cking terrible. Ahsoka Tano casually trashing Magnaguards as a new padawan and then later on being captured by pirates. Pre Vizsla engaging in prolonged lightsaber duels with Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Maul. Asajj Ventress simultaneously Force choking Obi-Wan and Anakin. Savage Opress simultaneously choking Ventress and Dooku. Darth Maul being shot in the leg by pirates when, as a teenager, he was casually outpacing blaster bolts and side stepping them, as well as running upwards of 75mph. I mean the list goes on and on.. it's just terrible.

There are a few nice stories and alright action scenes but I just find it utterly boring and completely ridiculous most of the time. I'm actually glad that it isn't canon with the OEU.

#56 Posted by RogueShadow (10044 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:

> The EU isn't canon with 6 movies and 1 animation

> Let's not ever discuss it again

This is where I'm confused. I didn't start reading the EU as a companion to George Lucas' precious main timeline. I read the EU because I love the stories and want to learn more about the universe past what's on the big screen. And now that it is now, officially, it's own universe under the Legends banner, I don't get what the issue is. It's essentially something like Marvel's Ultimate Universe, or an alternate timeline. It hasn't just disappeared. It still exists. It just exists on it's own.

Some of it is... f*cking terrible. Ahsoka Tano casually trashing Magnaguards as a new padawan and then later on being captured by pirates. Pre Vizsla engaging in prolonged lightsaber duels with Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Maul. Asajj Ventress simultaneously Force choking Obi-Wan and Anakin. Savage Opress simultaneously choking Ventress and Dooku. Darth Maul being shot in the leg by pirates when, as a teenager, he was casually outpacing blaster bolts and side stepping them, as well as running upwards of 75mph. I mean the list goes on and on.. it's just terrible.

There are a few nice stories and alright action scenes but I just find it utterly boring and completely ridiculous most of the time. I'm actually glad that it isn't canon with the OEU.

Nor did I, what are you talking about? It's still not canon to the main DV so I'm just saying it isn't relevant to this thread imo. I think you misunderstood my posts.

Eh, you've really put me off TCW now, lol.

#57 Posted by i_like_swords (13288 posts) - - Show Bio

Nor did I, what are you talking about? It's still not canon to the main DV so I'm just saying it isn't relevant to this thread imo. I think you misunderstood my posts.

Probably, haha. I was under the impression that by saying "I don't know what to do with Star Wars threads anymore" "it's not the same" "it feels icky" that you meant you didn't feel right about discussing the EU in threads any more, because it's not canon to the main universe. I still don't know what you mean.

Eh, you've really put me off TCW now, lol.

You'll thank me later.

#58 Edited by RogueShadow (10044 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:

Probably, haha. I was under the impression that by saying "I don't know what to do with Star Wars threads anymore" "it's not the same" "it feels icky" that you meant you didn't feel right about discussing the EU in threads any more, because it's not canon to the main universe. I still don't know what you mean.

I just meant that it doesn't feel right to use the alternate 'Legends' universe to debate, unless specified, it just feels wrong, that's what I meant by icky, it would be like using 1610 to debate 616, my enjoyment of the EU is in no way diminished.

#59 Posted by i_like_swords (13288 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: Ah okay. Well I dunno who would intend to debate with TCW and Movie Versions unless they specifically wanted to. This is still comic vine, and all of the Star Wars comics, as well as the novels, are EU. Legends Star Wars should be the go-to for debating, not the on-screen stuff.

#60 Posted by Volosous (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords well, as you can see throughout the literature in Skyrim, Alduin led the dragons in their rule of Tamriel, became the nordic god of destruction, and long before the first era, ate a universe.

#61 Edited by i_like_swords (13288 posts) - - Show Bio

@volosous said:

@i_like_swords well, as you can see throughout the literature in Skyrim, Alduin led the dragons in their rule of Tamriel, became the nordic god of destruction, and long before the first era, ate a universe.

Led the dragons, yes. Became a "god" in the literal sense, no (he might have been called one, but he wasn't). Destroyed a universe? No. He didn't. Not even close. I'd love to see an actual source for your claims, but the sad fact is one doesn't exist.

#62 Edited by reikai (4110 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: Alduin is a god. That's irrefutable. Not being listed among the Divines doesn't make him any less a god. Tsun isn't listed as a Divine, and he's still a god. Same with Magnus and Lorkhan/Shor, and many others. All dragons are considered Lesser Gods as the Children of Akatosh.

The Tribunal were considered gods as well after taking power from the Heart of Lorkhan. And given Amalexia was able to fight off an avatar of Mehrunes Dagon would lend credence to this.

#63 Posted by i_like_swords (13288 posts) - - Show Bio

@reikai: When I said god, I meant all-powerful. As in a Daedric Prince in their own realm or a Divine. I agree that guys like Alduin, Tsun and the others dragons (and hell, even the High Elves if you believe their creation theory) are "lesser" gods, but they aren't true, all-powerful gods.

#64 Posted by reikai (4110 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords I don't believe anyone was claiming that he was omnipotent. The only one who can make that claim is Sithis.

#65 Posted by i_like_swords (13288 posts) - - Show Bio

@reikai: Well I guess it doesn't really matter, anyway. The term "god" gets passed around more than a baby at a family reunion. You can't quantify much at all just from calling someone a "god" unless you literally are calling them some kind of omnipotent being.