Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

vs

No Caption Provided

Alan is pre-52. Random encounter. Win by KO, death, or permanent incapacitation. No BFR, no PIS. Both fighting at their best potential, in-character.

Who wins this?

Carter_esque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ForeverEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ForeverEvil

Alan Scott...mismatch?

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By willpayton
Avatar image for baron_von_santa
Baron_von_Santa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Baron_von_Santa

@willpayton: alan scott. and what do you mean by in character feats?

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: alan scott. and what do you mean by in character feats?

He's just regular pre-52 Alan in this, not Starheart-possessed Alan.

Moonman78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wbh. Alan Scott used to get stomped by Grundy. And Scott used to lay there while he disposed of the rest of the jla. I'd prolly take savage over Scott seeing as how many times Grundy did this.

AngryHulks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wbh. Alan Scott used to get stomped by Grundy. And Scott used to lay there while he disposed of the rest of the jla. I'd prolly take savage over Scott seeing as how many times Grundy did this.

Grundy is partially composed of plant matter, and Alan Scott's weaknesses is to wood, so Grundy is very resistant to Alan's power.

Sue me if you can prove that Hulk is made out of plant matter, otherwise Alan Scott wins.

ForeverEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

please....PLEASE just ignore it guys.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mismatch

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Alan.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@moonman78 said:

Grundy is partially composed of plant matter, and Alan Scott's weaknesses is to wood, so Grundy is very resistant to Alan's power.

Sue me if you can prove that Hulk is made out of plant matter, otherwise Alan Scott wins.

I was gonna quote but I think you covered it.

also lolololo

Baron_von_Santa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Baron_von_Santa

the power of alan scott

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this really a mismatch?

Baron_von_Santa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Baron_von_Santa

kind of. alan can make world blasts, defeat an amped mordru...all in all, a powerful guy

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RetconCrisis

Alan Scott

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By beatboks1

Time to put this BS to bed once and for all. I've seen you make this claim a few times and it's completely out of context.

seeing as how many times Grundy did this.

What you mean the ONE time he did it?? That's right 1 out of dozens of times they've fought. the one and ONLY time that anything like what you've described ("And Scott used to lay there while he disposed of the rest of the jla" - I'll assume you meant JSA not JLA since he isn't a meber of the latter) has occurred was in the 90's Goyer Johns JSA #65. It's called PIS (i.e PLOT induced stupidity). That's what we call it when a character has an unusually low showing against a character they USUALLY defeat easily. It's most common to see PIS low showings of a high level character in a team book where the writer wants to give all the characters some play.

Unfortunately the vast majority of battles between Alan and Grundy end in Grundy being pretty easily dealt with

In Grundy's very first appearance in All American 61 Alan used his ring to make himself strong enough to mix it with Grundy and it ended with Alan throwing him in front of an oncoming train.

In Comic Cavelcade 13 Alan easily wins even with Grundy being injected with Chlorophyll and even more a problem fro his weakness.

Wins again in comic Cavelcade 24

No Caption Provided

In All Star Comics 33 first we see the end of another Alan battle from a solo adventure where he places Grundy in a bubble to contain him as a jail. Grundy couldn't break free but nature broke the bubble for him. He then one by one attacked and stomped the JSAers solo until Alan wins

I could list and show scans for more but it's hardly necessary. The way you phrase it is that Alan get's stomped by Grundy on a regular basis while allowing his team mates to cop it as well. I'd love to know how that's possible when Grundy has only appeared in about 8 JSA titles (not counting Classified where he didn't even face Alan, or several other cameos only) plus three JLA/JSA cross overs. Two issues of All Star Comics, 3 of the 90's JSA run ( one he only fought Star Spangled kid and Jakeem Thunder) and two in a mini series plus what wasn't much more than a cameo in America vs the JSA. He didn't even fight Alan in most.

In JLA/JSA crossovers Alan wasn't even in issues 46 and 47. he was in 91 and 92 that he won. He wasn't in 146 and Issue 193 that had the All Star Squadron lift out Alan was present but never fought Grundy (who served more as Per Degaton's body Guard).

Alan only appeared in 5 of the 20 issues of Infinity inc that Grundy did and none were battles in one he and his daughter chained Grundy with their constructs.

All these battles are with Alan fighting an opponent partly composed of the substance that was his former weakness. Hulk isn't and he doesn't have it any more anyway.

now to the battle.

In character I'd say stalemate is the best Alan could hope for, and the most likely outcome. neither really has what it takes to finish the other one off. Alan is pure magical energy and wont be affected by most of WBH's attacks similarly nothing Alan can do is going to stop or contain Hulk with BFR off the table. BFR would have been the only way that Alan could take a win.

@immortal777

It's not a mismatch with the conditions of teh OP. It would only be so if Alan was possessed by the Starheart and bloodlusted. And that's from an Alan Scot fanboy.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

@moonman78 said:

Time to put this BS to bed once and for all. I've seen you make this claim a few times and it's completely out of context.

What you mean the ONE time he did it?? That's right 1 out of dozens of times they've fought. the one and ONLY time that anything like what you've described ("And Scott used to lay there while he disposed of the rest of the jla" - I'll assume you meant JSA not JLA since he isn't a meber of the latter) has occurred was in the 90's Goyer Johns JSA #65. It's called PIS (i.e PLOT induced stupidity). That's what we call it when a character has an unusually low showing against a character they USUALLY defeat easily. It's most common to see PIS low showings of a high level character in a team book where the writer wants to give all the characters some play.

Unfortunately the vast majority of battles between Alan and Grundy end in Grundy being pretty easily dealt with

In Grundy's very first appearance in All American 61 Alan used his ring to make himself strong enough to mix it with Grundy and it ended with Alan throwing him in front of an oncoming train.

In Comic Cavelcade 13 Alan easily wins even with Grundy being injected with Chlorophyll and even more a problem fro his weakness.

No Caption Provided

In All Star Comics 33 first we see the end of another Alan battle from a solo adventure where he places Grundy in a bubble to contain him as a jail. Grundy couldn't break free but nature broke the bubble for him. He then one by one attacked and stomped the JSAers solo until Alan wins

I could list and show scans for more but it's hardly necessary. The way you phrase it is that Alan get's stomped by Grundy on a regular basis while allowing his team mates to cop it as well. I'd love to know how that's possible when Grundy has only appeared in about 8 JSA titles (not counting Classified where he didn't even face Alan, or several other cameos only) plus three JLA/JSA cross overs. Two issues of All Star Comics, 3 of the 90's JSA run ( one he only fought Star Spangled kid and Jakeem Thunder) and two in a mini series plus what wasn't much more than a cameo in America vs the JSA. He didn't even fight Alan in most.

In JLA/JSA crossovers Alan wasn't even in issues 46 and 47. he was in 91 and 92 that he won. He wasn't in 146 and Issue 193 that had the All Star Squadron lift out Alan was present but never fought Grundy (who served more as Per Degaton's body Guard).

Alan only appeared in 5 of the 20 issues of Infinity inc that Grundy did and none were battles in one he and his daughter chained Grundy with their constructs.

All these battles are with Alan fighting an opponent partly composed of the substance that was his former weakness. Hulk isn't and he doesn't have it any more anyway.

now to the battle.

In character I'd say stalemate is the best Alan could hope for, and the most likely outcome. neither really has what it takes to finish the other one off. Alan is pure magical energy and wont be affected by most of WBH's attacks similarly nothing Alan can do is going to stop or contain Hulk with BFR off the table. BFR would have been the only way that Alan could take a win.

@immortal777

It's not a mismatch with the conditions of teh OP. It would only be so if Alan was possessed by the Starheart and bloodlusted. And that's from an Alan Scot fanboy.

No Caption Provided

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beatboks1 said:
@moonman78 said:

No Caption Provided

now to the battle.

@immortal777

No Caption Provided

Agreed

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Rouflex

@moonman78 said:

No Caption Provided

now to the battle.

@immortal777

No Caption Provided

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carter_esque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:

@juiceboks said:

@beatboks1 said:
@moonman78 said:

No Caption Provided

now to the battle.

@immortal777

No Caption Provided

Agreed

+1

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

Moonman78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Moonman78

kind of. alan can make world blasts, defeat an amped mordru...all in all, a powerful guy

When did Alan defeat an amped Mordru?

@moonman78 said:

Ive never seen anything that explain that's why grundy beats scott. Scotts constructs always effect Grundy just not enough to put him down and scott gets trounced.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Curious. Why do people always take out BFR in WWH battles?

You're basically trying to setup a battle with a virtually unstoppable fighter and saying

No Caption Provided

KNOWING how much he can tank.

Seems like the Marvel heads desperately want this incarnation of Hulk to win a battle because Hulk in general JUST DOESN'T WIN.

ForeverEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ForeverEvil

@moonman78: you just got destroyed.

@moonman78 said:

No Caption Provided

now to the battle.

@immortal777

AngryHulks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AngryHulks

@moonman78 said:
@angryhulks said:

@moonman78 said:

Ive never seen anything that explain that's why grundy beats scott. Scotts constructs always effect Grundy just not enough to put him down and scott gets trounced.

If you read enough of the Grundy's story enough, it had been said several times that Grundy is resurrected by Parliament of Trees, they tried to make Grundy a full plant elemental but they can only manage to make him half-plant elemental because Grundy did not died from fire. That pretty much explain that Grundy is pretty much half-human half-plant zombie.

Alan Scott can't affect wood or any plant matter because that's the limitation of his magic. Grundy is not totally immune to Alan's power because he's only half-plant, but he is very resistant to it, so he can't put him down because of this. Projectile made out of wood will not be stopped by Alan's shield, and he can't stop bugs made out of wood before. Hulk is not made out of any plant matter so he does not have any impunity from Alan's power.

Alan Scott's only weaknesses is to wood and plant, it's that simple.

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of you guys are retarded, call me when alan scott can destroy a planet with footsteps, he never even displayed that level of power in his starheart form.

Why would he need to when he can and has simply changed the rate of time of an inhabited planet to age it to destruction in minutes without cheating any of it's inhabitants of a second of their lives?

No Caption Provided

@baron_von_santa said:

1. Justice society of America #35

@angryhulks said:

@moonman78 said:

That's because you've only ever read one story with Grundy in it and assume that is the standard and make blanket untrue statements based on it. It's only been explained on multiple occasions.

That was true until the 90's when an upgrade removed it. he has still had 4 instances of succumbing to wood that Johns explained away as him "believing at the time" he still had the weakness. Some crap about if he's tired and thinks he's weak then he becomes it. The original concept was that the green flame that created his lamp etc ( the good magic that was caught as part of the starheart) was the energy of life and it could not be used to harm life. As trees were "part of the Green" they were a big part of that. Another temporary explanation of the flame merging with a normal GL who's ring was given a lesser limit was the one before that retcon. When his power also encompassed the starheart ( the evil magic) this was no longer so. Similarly all the other limitations of needing to recharge and the need even for a ring aren't necessary. When Grundy attacked his home when Alan wasn't there and threatened his wife and destroyed his lantern the power eventually left Alan. All Alan had to do was go home and concentrate and reabsorb the power and reform what he wanted

No Caption Provided

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of you guys are retarded, call me when alan scott can destroy a planet with footsteps, he never even displayed that level of power in his starheart form.

No need to be offensive

ForeverEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the trolling needs to stop

Moonman78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moonman78 said:

Why would he need to when he can and has simply changed the rate of time of an inhabited planet to age it to destruction in minutes without cheating any of it's inhabitants of a second of their lives?

No Caption Provided
@moonman78 said:

@baron_von_santa said:

1. Justice society of America #35

@moonman78 said:

@angryhulks said:

@moonman78 said:

That's because you've only ever read one story with Grundy in it and assume that is the standard and make blanket untrue statements based on it. It's only been explained on multiple occasions.

@angryhulks said:

That was true until the 90's when an upgrade removed it. he has still had 4 instances of succumbing to wood that Johns explained away as him "believing at the time" he still had the weakness. Some crap about if he's tired and thinks he's weak then he becomes it. The original concept was that the green flame that created his lamp etc ( the good magic that was caught as part of the starheart) was the energy of life and it could not be used to harm life. As trees were "part of the Green" they were a big part of that. Another temporary explanation of the flame merging with a normal GL who's ring was given a lesser limit was the one before that retcon. When his power also encompassed the starheart ( the evil magic) this was no longer so. Similarly all the other limitations of needing to recharge and the need even for a ring aren't necessary. When Grundy attacked his home when Alan wasn't there and threatened his wife and destroyed his lantern the power eventually left Alan. All Alan had to do was go home and concentrate and reabsorb the power and reform what he wanted

No Caption Provided

Dude ive seen Grundy dismantle Alan Scott a few times, and as far as me reading only one story with grundy in it yeah right, ive been following these battles way longer than you can imagine. Which is why I brought this up. If the image upload was working I could post a few scans for you to analize and then low ball. Scotts constructs have always effected Grundy they just seemed too weak to effect him significantly, and I don't think it has as much to do with his weakness to wood as that's just how powerful a brick Grundy is. Grundy has manhandled supes and the entire jla and jsa so hes just written to be this strong. Maybe it is you who, should read more.

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@beatboks1: Well done sir. Agree 100% with your battle scenario.

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moonman78: Grundy has multiple versions at many power levels. In Infinity Inc 3 Jade's power pulse is shown to have limited effect on him yet in the same issue Nuklon who is only a 70 tonner can match Grundy and trade blows with him.

The same Nuklon who a few issues later needed the Help of Fury ( Wonder Woman's daughter) and Silver scarab ( anti gravity and super streth) to even push a construct of Alan's apart.

No Caption Provided

Fury has matched Grundy in strength, Nuklon has traded blows with him for a while. The two of them need help to even budge one of Alan's constructs and you expect us to believe that Grundy is just that powerful that he smashes his constructs because he is??

• Fact Grundy has lot to Alan 4 times as many times as he's been aproblem
  • Fact It's been stated on panel several times that Grundy is composed of Alan's weakness in part, not to mention part of every bio ever written on him
No Caption Provided

Read the first paragraph of the History mate. He's made from rotten bits of wood. It's always been a part of the character. He's also magical in nature and absorbs magical energy and can use it to enhance himself. Quite simply when facing the likes of Alan, Dr fate etc he's more powerful than when facing Superman because he absorbs their magical energy. (you'll find that tid bit in powers and weapons)

• Fact in almost every battle between then Alan has stated he has to use ALL his will power for his constructs to affect Grundy even before Grundy tries to resist.

So no Grundy has no innate advantage that Hulk wouldn't possess does he?

Show me one single instance of hulk absorbing magic. Show me anything that shows Hulk made of wood and organic life. No he troubles Alan ONLY because he's so powerful. Even though Alan has no problems with beings vastly more powerful.

Bring whatever scans you want and I'll provide the context (well actually I already have). Grundy should beat Alan every time easily due to the fact that Alans powers ahve to be used to a far greater degree to affect him as much, due to the fact that the nature of his powers means he drains Alan's, due to the fact that he has used Alan's own starheart energy to enhance his powers and strength to an even greater level. AND YET the majority of their battles result in Alan defeating him. Not IMO a very good argument to present here at all.

ForeverEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beatboks1: heck of a job man. props. the dudes completely off as usual

Baron_von_Santa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Baron_von_Santa
Avatar image for heraldofganthet
HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beatboks1:

QFT. That is my 3rd favorite Alan Scott feat of all time. He wasn't even bloodlusted in that storyarc. The dude is a reality warper among many, many other very useful things, and you sir have schooled both our lunar friend and those who may be somewhat unfamiliar with Alan Scott as to just what a glimmer of his power can do.

Well done sir, bravo!

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems I under-estimated Alan

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moonman78 said:

No Caption Provided

now to the battle.

@immortal777

Well said

ForeverEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beatboks1:

QFT. That is my 3rd favorite Alan Scott feat of all time. He wasn't even bloodlusted in that storyarc. The dude is a reality warper among many, many other very useful things, and you sir have schooled both our lunar friend and those who may be somewhat unfamiliar with Alan Scott as to just what a glimmer of his power can do.

Well done sir, bravo!

lmao "our lunar friend". ROFL. props

IRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathandgrim: You have to take off BFR when Hulk is involved because he's so susceptible to it. It's not fair to leave it on because then you just have somebody throwing Hulk into space and that's not a very fun battle.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irs: So you put a virtually unstoppable by any other means characters in a battle. You realize that BFR is literally the only way to beat him (to clarify, the only reason the Marvel heads will accept due to Hulk circle jerk) especially in WBH form? That's not a very fun battle either.

Hmm you see the problem yet?

ForeverEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irs: So you put a virtually unstoppable by any other means characters in a battle. You realize that BFR is literally the only way to beat him (to clarify, the only reason the Marvel heads will accept due to Hulk circle jerk) especially in WBH form? That's not a very fun battle either.

so basically, in "reality" he'd get bfr'd...but for comicvine purposes, he cant be BFR'd so that a certain group can be happy

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathandgrim said:

so basically, in "reality" he'd get bfr'd...but for comicvine purposes, he cant be BFR'd so that a certain group can be happy

Basically. The Hulk fanboys gotta eat too man

HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foreverevil:

lmao "our lunar friend". ROFL. props

I thought you'd like that one (hehehe)!

cliffrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

alan scott gets hypnotized by the hulks manliness just long enough to get conked out.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By willpayton

@deathandgrim said:

There's really many ways to beat WBH, it's just that BFR is too easy. It's more challenging for whoever is facing him if BFR is turned off.

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By GhostRavage

@deathandgrim: In the Vine common scenario, Hulk would get BFR'd.. In reality, hell no, BFR is probably the most rare thing to happen right next to the use of common sense.

EDIT! That being said, saying in every Hulk thread, "he gets bfr'd" so every other possible outcome gets screwed is lame. Taking out BFR makes it a fight in the first place.

HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cliffrice: alan scott gets hypnotized by the hulks manliness just long enough to get conked out.

This is the PRE-Flashpoint version, dawg. Hypnotizing via the method you've described is off the table (thank God)!

ForeverEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cliffrice: alan scott gets hypnotized by the hulks manliness just long enough to get conked out.

This is the PRE-Flashpoint version, dawg. Hypnotizing via the method you've described is off the table (thank God)!

lmao. you guys crack me up.