AJ Styles Vs CM Punk

Dygoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Battle takes place in WrestleMania Arena.

Battle can be won by Submission or Pin,

-No DQ, Extreme Rules.

-Ko is allowed.

-No interference.

-Who wins and why?

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By laflux

AJ has already beaten Punk for the ROH Pure Championsip. He's also beaten Punk a few times in TNA IIRC.

Dygoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux: oh...I tottally forgot about that...Who would put up a challenge against AJ?

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#4 god_spawn  Moderator

By the end of his WWE stint Punk>>>AJ.

Avatar image for thelaughingman_aoi
thelaughingman_Aoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

which version of punk. ROH ,PIPE BOMB, ECW ,STRAIGHT EDGE SOCIETY, TNA , OR FACE all depends on which version of the superstar. Not a TNA fan so i dont know the different versions of styles . Id give it to all Punks but ECW, TNA , AND ROH Punk. The rest are too over for the booking to allow him to lose.

Dygoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Mike Skills? Yea...

In Ring Skills? You must be joking. A J is probably one of the most complete High Flying Technical Hybrids ever to be in the ring. Punk's wrestling peak is below Styles peak, and if we look at them towards the end of thier time of TNA and WWE repsectively, A J was putting on superior matches while Punk was botching against Seth Rollins. Yeah he wasn't 100 percent, but I still think A J is the better wrestler. Better Superstar, then its Punk all the way.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

@laflux said:

@god_spawn said:

No Caption Provided

Mike Skills? Yea...

In Ring Skills? You must be joking. A J is probably one of the most complete High Flying Technical Hybrids ever to be in the ring. Punk's wrestling peak is below Styles peak, and if we look at them towards the end of thier time of TNA and WWE repsectively, A J was putting on superior matches while Punk was botching against Seth Rollins. Yeah he wasn't 100 percent, but I still think A J is the better wrestler. Better Superstar, then its Punk all the way.

AJ's also in NJPW at the moment, putting on matches with guys like Tanahashi.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By laflux

@dygoboy said:

@laflux: oh...I tottally forgot about that...Who would put up a challenge against AJ?

Kayfabe, then anyone who is booked well enough lol. If we look at wrestling skill I don't think there is many guys who are in his league when he was in his prime. If you look at Technical wrestlers, you could say they are some who are better (Angle, Ringmaster Stone Cold, Byran, KENTA, Hart and Benoit etc), but none of those guys come close to being as athletic as he is. If we look at High fliers then maybe guys like Neville, Ricohet, Prime Rey Mysterio, Hayabusa, Prime Jushin Liger are better, but none of those guys have as good technical abilities or are as strong as he is. He is a swiss army knife, I don't think they are many guys who can easily torture rack Samoa Joe and complete a springboard 450 Splash from halfway across the ring, and have technical matches with the likes of Punk without looking out of place.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ComicStooge
@laflux said:

@dygoboy said:

but none of those guys come close to being as athletic as he is.

If we're talking most athletic wrestlers...

No Caption Provided

Angle comes plenty close. If we're talking big men, for his size, Vader was stupidly athletic.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:

@dygoboy said:

No Caption Provided

Angle comes plenty close. If we're talking big men, for his size, Vader was stupidly athletic.

Vader is a freak.

Shelton was very athletic espicially since he is around 240 pounds IIRC, but he's not as technically proficient. Angle is not as athletic. He's stronger, but in terms of High flying skill he's quite a bit behind. Angle couldn't fully hit a 450 splash on Sting from the ropes, A J could do that no probs. That's no shame though, considering it was probably one on of the only times Angle even tried, he'd probably nail it if he did it from the turnbuckle instead.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:

@comicstooge said:
@laflux said:

@dygoboy said:

No Caption Provided

Vader is a freak.

Shelton was very athletic espicially since he is around 240 pounds IIRC, but he's not as technically proficient. Angle is not as athletic. He's stronger, but in terms of High flying skill he's quite a bit behind. Angle couldn't fully hit a 450 splash on Sting from the ropes, A J could do that no probs. That's no shame though, considering it was probably one on of the only times Angle even tried, he'd probably nail it if he did it from the turnbuckle instead.

That and Angle was like, 40, right?

Vader is a freak. Did you read/see the match where his eye came out and he kept wrestling to the finish?

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge: Yeah it was on Botchmania in one episode. Also apperently Vader is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet in real life. The personification of a Gentle Giant :)

Shawn Micheals was such a d!ck to him >:(

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:

@comicstooge: Yeah it was on Botchmania in one episode. Also apperently Vader is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet in real life. The personification of a Gentle Giant :)

In all fairness, I'm sure Shawn is incredibly sorry for it too.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:

I guess. He is a born again christian after all :p

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:

@comicstooge said:

@laflux said:

I guess. He is a born again christian after all :p

Getting back on topic, I agree with you, AJ wins.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge: You would :P . You want Punk to get wrecked in UFC :)

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 god_spawn  Moderator

@laflux: AJ knows more moves than Punk and he has always been more agile than Punk, but wrestling skills alone aren't enough. Punk was able to tell a story better IMO, and he became a bigger name than AJ ever did. I see it like when someone on here once said AJ Styles was a better wrestler than Michaels because he could fly better and knew more moves. When it came down to accomplishments in the ring, HBK is hands down far better. Punk's accolades put him higher than AJ IMO. But me being in the business, I'm looking at is who is the better wrestler as a whole, and not just looking at it from who can do a better flip and know a few more submissions.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By laflux
@god_spawn said:

But me being in the business, I'm looking at is who is the better wrestler as a whole, and not just looking at it from who can do a better flip and know a few more submissions.

And me only being a mere mark means I can't? For me a wrestler refers to what goes on in a match between those four ropes (Cesaro joke). A Superstar includes charisma, Mic Work etc and that's where Punk shines out the most. I don't take the accolades thing that serious considering kayfabe and politics. Cena and HHH have more accolades than Punk- does that mean they are better Wrestlers or even Superstars than Punk? No, Punk is a better worker and at least comparable on the mic to them.

I see it like when someone on here once said AJ Styles was a better wrestler than Michaels because he could fly better and knew more moves.

So yeah I would agree that AJ is a better wrestler than Micheals but Shawn is a better Superstar and obviously a bigger draw. Of Course I don't think its by that much as Shawn was working in time where Wrestling wasn't as developed as it was today.

Punk was able to tell a story better IMO, and he became a bigger name than AJ ever did.

Punk can sell a story better, A J Styles can tell it better in the ring.

Dygoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess AJ takes this

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ScouterV

@laflux: How was Shelton not technically proficient? The guy could just about do it all!

@laflux: AJ knows more moves than Punk and he has always been more agile than Punk, but wrestling skills alone aren't enough. Punk was able to tell a story better IMO, and he became a bigger name than AJ ever did. I see it like when someone on here once said AJ Styles was a better wrestler than Michaels because he could fly better and knew more moves. When it came down to accomplishments in the ring, HBK is hands down far better. Punk's accolades put him higher than AJ IMO. But me being in the business, I'm looking at is who is the better wrestler as a whole, and not just looking at it from who can do a better flip and know a few more submissions.

In all fairness, I think it's partially because Punk simply had the bigger stage to show out on. Given the same opportunity, had AJ not stubbornly (though commendably,) stayed with TNA he could have been a huge name in WWE.

While I'll grant you that Punk could tell a better story, that doesn't make up for the gap in their actual work rate. Being able to tell a story is a great asset, but at times Punk came across as sloppy. I don't think I could ever say that about AJ.

Not only that, but going by Championship and accolades, It's close, but I'd say AJ has the edge. AJ's got the edge due mostly to his longevity in TNA. Two Grand Slams, Three Triple Crowns, inaugural X-Division Champ, and one-half of arguably one of the most entertaining and impactful teams in TNA with Christopher Daniels. Not to discount Punk, but I'd say AJ's accomplishments trump a lot of what Punk has pulled off.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@laflux:

And me only being a mere mark means I can't? For me a wrestler refers to what goes on in a match between those four ropes (Cesaro joke). A Superstar includes charisma, Mic Work etc and that's where Punk shines out the most. I don't take the accolades thing that serious considering kayfabe and politics. Cena and HHH have more accolades than Punk- does that mean they are better Wrestlers or even Superstars than Punk? No, Punk is a better worker and at least comparable on the mic to them.

I understand that, but if we want to make feats then we kind of have to. Punk having faced the Rock, Taker, HHH, Cena, Lesnar, Orton, being the first guy to beat the Shield solo, while not just going down to them, and being the longest reigning WWE champion in the last 26-27 years of the history. AJ being the "TNA Guy" for a long time is a phenomenal feat (no pun intended), but TNA is still a small company in comparison.

So yeah I would agree that AJ is a better wrestler than Micheals but Shawn is a better Superstar and obviously a bigger draw. Of Course I don't think its by that much as Shawn was working in time where Wrestling wasn't as developed as it was today.

It's all part and parcel of the same package. You need to be able to tell a story, have a form of charisma, and put it together in the ring. AJ doesn't really have anything over Michaels except for a few moves, but in terms of career and status, HBK is still regarded as better. HBK is the better packaged superstar, it doesn't come down to just ring work.

Punk can sell a story better, A J Styles can tell it better in the ring.

Punk is the better overall package since both him and AJ can go. I think he is just a better well rounded wrestler. He's better on the mic and his charisma, whether heel or face, is better than AJ's. I admit AJ is better in the ring, but those other aspects are important, and I think the slight gap in in-ring skill is more than made up with Punk's other abilities.

Nothing against AJ, he is a fantastic wrestler and can put on fantastic matches, but at the end of the day I think Punk is the better wrestler. I can see where you are coming from in your points, and I can respect them, I just don't agree.

Avatar image for sophisticated_ignorance
Sophisticated_Ignorance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AJ goes to sleep. Yeah they may of been booked as equals back in their ROH days but at the end of his WWE career Punk was going up against the likes of Brock, Rock, Taker and had bested people like John Cena and Chris Jericho several times, that puts him on another level to AJ.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AJ goes to sleep. Yeah they may of been booked as equals back in their ROH days but at the end of his WWE career Punk was going up against the likes of Brock, Rock, Taker and had bested people like John Cena and Chris Jericho several times, that puts him on another level to AJ.

Ignoring the fact that Punk lost to all of them barring Jericho? Sure, he beat Cena, but that was due to a distraction.

AJ Styles is going against guys like Minoru Suzuki, Hiroshi Tanahashi and Kuzachika Okada and other Japanese talent who blow most of WWE's workers out the window. And he beat guys like Sting, Jeff Hardy and even Kurte Angle while in TNA.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still going with A J

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

being the longest reigning WWE champion in the last 26-27 years of the history.

As a midcard champion who practically never closed a show, IIRC.

Kal-El Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Kal-El Summers

I'd say Punk may be the better wrestler slightly just because AJ's last run in TNA was really awful and Punk never had a stretch that bad in the WWE. For clarification, I haven't kept up with NJPW until they got the Axis show, so I haven't see AJ over there(though I will say that based on what I have seen, Okada comes off kinda overrated, but that may be from Mauro being an annoying, braying jackass). And to be fair, I don't have a super-high opinion of either guy.

As for the match itself: They both like to take stupid risks, but AJ tends to take more of them, so I'll go with him wiping out while doing the 450 and Punk hits the GTS for the 3-count.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will say that based on what I have seen, Okada comes off kinda overrated

Blasphemy.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn said:

No Caption Provided

TBF once he turned heel he started Main Eventing more.

matthew1061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Punk is better on the mic, though I can't stand him in any of his personas. AJ is not great on the mic but he comes across as a likable nice guy (that plays against him when he's a heel.) When it comes to ring skills had having matches that are fun to watch, I don't see much comparison. AJ wins hands down.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:

@comicstooge said:

@god_spawn said:

No Caption Provided

TBF once he turned heel he started Main Eventing more.

Well, they had to feed SOMEONE to the Rock, right?

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By laflux
Kal-El Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kal_el_summers said:

I will say that based on what I have seen, Okada comes off kinda overrated

Blasphemy.

Just callin' it like I see it. /shurgs

Dygoboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bumps

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CM Punk

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38 dernman  Online

Though I'm apathetic to AJ Styles I can't stand CM Punk. So AJ wins.

Saul_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sadly, I don't like AJ. I missed most of his TNA stuff because I couldn't stand to watch it. But I agree with Punk being sloppy sometimes, I liked him, but I didn't think he was that great of a wrestler. He also quit, like a baby waving his middle finger at all his fans. I hope he gets wrecked in UFC.

Based on the little I have seen of him, AJ wins.