Backlash

Avatar image for Oreoassassin421
OreoAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@strider92: Awesome fight!!! i'd take Backlash 5-6/10 in an extremely difficult fight

Avatar image for New_World_Order
New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Backlash. With his slashy purple whip thingy's.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

What exactly is Backlash capable of before I give my two pennies?

Avatar image for Oreoassassin421
OreoAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: Heres a respect thread for him; http://www.comicvine.com/profile/strider92/blog/backlash-respect-thread/86139/

Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@granitesoldier: Here are some.

http://www.comicvine.com/backlash/4005-25978/forums/can-someone-show-me-some-of-his-feats-615501/

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is interesting. Based on feats in the respect thread, this is actually very close. It seems like Backlash (props for being a former PJ, even if he is fictious) has the edge in fighting skill and agility. I'd still give Flash the edge is durability/healing and strength. Flash's versatility I think is balanced by Backlash's whips being psionic in nature, so in terms of weaponry brought to bear I'd say they're even.

Now the X factor here is that intangibility thing. It seems like he uses it fairly frequently, which is going to make Flash's extremely high damage output a moot point if he can't hit the damn guy. However it honestly doesn't seem like Backlash has the pound for pound physical output to put Flash down.

The only way I see Backlash winning is tying Flash down with his whips, and hitting him with his psionic force. Flash hasn't come across any psychics as far as my memory serves, so we don't know for sure how it'd effect him (the symbiote has lessened/defeated crazier things before) but I'm not going to simply assume it can resist this. If Flash can land a hit, he probably won't need many assuming he goes in with symbiote weapons like blades. He'd have to catch Backlash between intangibles though, like when Backlash goes to strike, and strike first.

It appears to be a close fight but I will (sadly) need to ignore my fanboy tendencies and say Backlash gets this probably 6/10.

FukYouRenchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By FukYouRenchamp

@oreoassassin: @strider92: I was reading Vol 5. Of WildC.A.Ts, Can either of you tell me Why is Backlash a girl in it?

I thought it was Marc Slayton

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By Strider1992

@granitesoldier: Here's a couple of feats that didn't get into my respect thread cuz I for got them lol

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

@oreoassassin: @strider92: I was reading Vol 5. Of WildC.A.Ts, Can either of you tell me Why is Backlash a girl in it?

I thought it was Marc Slayton

The Backlash in that is Jodie Slayton his daughter. Marc ended up losing one of his legs and retiring and becoming a Nick Fury type character IIRC.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: Thanks. Doesn't change my above thoughts, but I can appreciate seeing a badass in comics who isn't Army or Marines and is Air Force for once...who wasn't a pilot.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Strider1992

@granitesoldier: I'm still vexed DC haven't brought him back in New 52. His interactions with Grifter and Zealot were hilarious.

No Caption Provided

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: I love this man already. What comics was he in? I must look into this.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Strider1992

@granitesoldier: Team 7 volumes 1 and 2 (Origin), he also appeared in Stormwatch in the earlier issues as their trainer, he then had his own solo series called Backlash that ran for 32 issues, then he was a regular in the series Wildcore as the team's leader which ran for 11 issues, he was also in Kindred volume 1 and 2 which was a team-up series between him and Grifter, then there was a mini-series called Slayton's Gauntlet (or something like that) which was about an older Marc after the loss of his leg. Aside from that he had random appearances all over Wildstorm such as random issues of Authority, Deathblow, Gen 13, WildCATS etc......

He also had a Spider-man crossover which was pretty cewl:

No Caption Provided

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: Thanks, seems like I have quite a bit of reading I can enjoy if I really want to dive into his character.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Strider1992

@granitesoldier: Yeah he was fortunate enough to get his own solo series unlike most WS characters. Brett Booth (artist of the original Backlash series currently drawing Flash) did a redesign for New 52 apparently but DC wouldn't greenlight it!!!!!

No Caption Provided

DC you have made an enemy for not greenlighting this!

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: Well because he sounds like he'd be awesome. And by and large (of course there are exceptions) it seems the goal of New 52 is to be boring.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

@strider92: That looks amazing and I think Backlash wins this.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: He had a cameo on the cover of a New 52 Nightwing issue ages ago which gave me hope but then nothing happened........T.T

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GraniteSoldier

@granitesoldier: He had a cameo on the cover of a New 52 Nightwing issue ages ago which gave me hope but then nothing happened........T.T

In the biz that's called a c*ck tease! Haha.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apart from Marc putting himself inside Flash and solidifying himself I don't see how he puts him down.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: It hurts, embrace the pain. In all seriousness both Marvel and DC have plenty of good characters they sit on but don't use either often or at all. It's a shame because there are plenty of young writers who could use a break with lesser known characters like Backlash. It'd expand the industry and get an old character off the shelf.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: Very true. A lot of WS character have been butchered in the New 52. They ought to reboot the Wildstorm-verse. That would be awesome but yeah both companies are doing stupid things atm.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: That's true about the New 52, I heard Caitlin Fairchild isn't even close to what she used to be.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: Fairchild, Zealot, Midnighter, Majestic all of them are shadows of their former awesomeness T.T only Grifter seems to have escaped the pit most WS characters are falling into.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: Fairchild, Zealot, Midnighter, Majestic all of them are shadows of their former awesomeness T.T only Grifter seems to have escaped the pit most WS characters are falling into.

Who knows, maybe they upset the established order and everything would become chaos.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:

Apart from Marc putting himself inside Flash and solidifying himself I don't see how he puts him down.

I thought about this myself, but I'm not sure about the psychic energies generated through the whips. Do you think Flash can overcome that? I've never really seen anything, if there is anything, of him against psychic powers. I'm willing to agree here, everyone knows my favoritism for Thompson haha. But I really considered that he's not putting Flash down physically, I'm just not sure on his psionics.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No comment on the actual outcome.

@dondave said:

Doesn't he have to mist to do that? Would that work? Agent venom in later issues filtered out poisons against the U-foes. Pretty sure it was in the form of gas but I can't remember.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

No comment on the actual outcome.

@dondave said:

Doesn't he have to mist to do that? Would that work? Agent venom in later issues filtered out poisons against the U-foes. Pretty sure it was in the form of gas but I can't remember.

He can filter out gases, so yes you're right that shouldn't work on him.

Backlash's only chance, in my opinion, is still his psionics if (big if) he can get a hold of Venom in his whips long enough to employ it and assuming psionics will effect Eugene and the symbiote. Otherwise I can see Flash getting the slice and dice in a rough fight. I'm still pretty torn on this one overall, partially due to lack of Backlash knowledge (other than his respect thread) and due to such I'm seeking to try and not lowball him. Although I'm trying not to do so at the expense of lowballing Flash haha.