• 170 results
Avatar image for man_of_miracles
Man_of_Miracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@man_of_miracles: well yeah, Hector is one of the best fighters of his generation and he's probably seen and performed many spear throws, I think he's qualified to say if that was humanly possible.

That doesn't mean he has seen every person on earth throw a spear, he clearly has not seen Achilles throw before or he wouldn't have said it was impossible.

But that is beside the point, I do think it is a super human throw but that could mean anything over 100 mph considering the best javelin throwers in the world approach only 75 mph.

GXrevolution96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#102  Edited By GXrevolution96

@man_of_miracles: The winter soldier is not winning. He literally gets speed blitzed

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

GXrevolution96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords Achilies is too fast. WS does not have the speed feats to compare. WS gets a sword through his chest before he even knows what hit him

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Achilies is invincible. The only way to kill him is by going for his heel. And since the WS does not know that, Achilies cuts him in half.

Korraspirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Korraspirit

Achilies godstomps. Mismatch.

Man_of_Miracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords Achilies is too fast. WS does not have the speed feats to compare. WS gets a sword through his chest before he even knows what hit him

WS turned around and caught a shield thrown by Cap from less than 50 ft after it was thrown. That is far more than enough speed to compete with Achilles, I would argue it is a greater speed and reaction feat than any of Achilles.

Also a PSA this is movie Achilles, he is not invulnerable or invincible. How are people still not getting that.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@man_of_miracles: it's been awhile since I saw troy, but why is he not invulnerable?

I always thought we could take the story either way and it was open to interpretation.

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d:

He isn't invulnerable because Paris kills him with arrows to the torso, the arrow to the heel hit him first he then turns and gets shot a few more times, he then pulls these out and dies leaving only the arrow in his heel to start the myth of it being his only weakness.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I got to reading the script for Troy, and the fight scenes ect are far better described than what we see on-screen. I'm gonna read through all the important parts, like the spear throws and fights, so we get a better idea of just how good Achilles is. I suggest someone does the same with The Winter Soldier, as I imagine it'd shed light on a lot of stuff like Bucky dodging/deflecting bullets and his fights with Cap.

GXrevolution96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@man_of_miracles That is not a speed feat. There is difference between speed and reaction time. And frankly, all he did was turn round. Giving that it was 50 ft distance between the,, its not all that surprising that he reacted to it in time. Achilies is more agile and is quick on his feet.

Dreadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Dreadpool

Because the movie one is the same man in the myths now think about it the movie is from mans (Odysseus)point of view they don't know that he is invunrable nor would it be announced because this is something only the gods would have known.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

@man_of_miracles: it's been awhile since I saw troy, but why is he not invulnerable?

I always thought we could take the story either way and it was open to interpretation.

In the script, his mother is in fact a regular, 45 year old woman (Achilles being 30.. she had him young). Her prediction wasn't prophecy, just her being smart. The film does seem to just tell the story of an inhuman warrior opposed to an actual, mythological demigod. There isn't any mention of gods or the like.

Man_of_Miracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@man_of_miracles That is not a speed feat. There is difference between speed and reaction time. And frankly, all he did was turn round. Giving that it was 50 ft distance between the,, its not all that surprising that he reacted to it in time. Achilies is more agile and is quick on his feet.

Lol what are you talking about? the shield was thrown while his back was turned and he turned around and caught it mid-air, what feat does Achilles have that surpasses that? Everything Achilles dodged was from straight in front of him and none of it was thrown/launched by a superhuman like Cap. And yeah I know it is a reaction feat, reaction speed is what keeps people from blitzing you. And considering that the shield was thrown by Cap who is a superhuman that is pretty damn good reaction time especially considering Achilles never fought a superhuman in Troy.

Where is the evidence that Achilles is more agile? He performs none of the multitude of acrobatics displayed by Bucky. There is no feat that Achilles has that shows his agility to be greater than Bucky's. But if you think you have one by all means please share.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By slimj87d

@man_of_miracles: not true, he blocks a two arrows fired behind has back without looking while he's invading the beach.

For the record, I'm leaning more towards bucky now. My Memory didn't serve me well and I thought they said Achilles was a demigod.

Man_of_Miracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

@man_of_miracles: not true, he blocks a spear thrown at him without looking while he's invading the beach.

A spear thrown by a normal man, in a battle. He wouldn't be very good if he let his guard down in a battle would he?

Bucky on the other hand had no clue that Cap was going to throw a shield at him.

And it hardly matters, even if the feats were the same in circumstance Bucky's feat was performed against a superhuman and Achilles feat was not. So again of the two Bucky's is superior.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@man_of_miracles: watch the scene, he wasn't even looking in the direction when they were fired meaning he had to have saw the arrow shooters previously and guessed perfectly when they would fire after he killed their allies.

It's a good speed feat and combat prowess.

BTW, they were two arrows, not Spears. Arrows are fired relatively fast.

Man_of_Miracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

@man_of_miracles: watch the scene, he wasn't even looking in the direction when they were fired meaning he had to have saw the arrow shooters previously and guessed perfectly when they would fire after he killed their allies.

It's a good speed feat and combat prowess.

BTW, they were two arrows, not Spears. Arrows are fired relatively fast.

Good combat prowess sure. Reaction feat not so much, if he timed he arrows based on distance it is a nice precision feat but not a reaction one. If he simply reacted then it is a similar reaction feat to Bucky's, yet again Bucky's was performed against a superhuman, though arrows as opposed to spears makes them closer

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@man_of_miracles: you could say the glass breaking from Captain America jumping threw the window could have gave Bucky a fair warning.

I think the reaction times and prowess of guessing are about equal for the both of them.

GXrevolution96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp: Paris was said to either 1. Be assisted by Apollo in killing Achilles for desecrating his temple an killin the priest, or 2. The archer was actually Apollo In disguise. So being assisted by or being actually murdered by the god of archery himself...I'd say he was up against a pretty good archer.

1. Divine interference (in that film at least) is unquantifiable and therefore useless.

So... yeah...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp: There was no divine interference. In the script Briseis screaming "No!" throws off Paris' aim for the first shot. Lol.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man_of_Miracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

The scripting of the "impossible" spear throw. It was indeed superhuman, exact distance of 100 yards.

Avatar image for digitalshooter9
DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By DigitalShooter9

@i_like_swords: This is actually a great battle idea....

Considering how Achilles had trouble with Hector (a skilled human), I think this can go either way...

I'd like to give it to Achilles though.. The guy slashed through an army of thousands with 50 men. He alone killed more guys on the beach war than the rest of the myrmidons..

Lets not forget how Bradchilles threw that spear at Tecton in a superhuman way (they made a calculation for that). And the trapezius stab is a move Bucky can't avoid since he doesn't necessarily have a good way to shield himself beside his arm (which won't suffice in my opinion).

Edit:

Actually, even if Achilles had trouble with Hector, I think he can still beat Bucky mainly because in the movie, Hector wasn't really human either. In the movie (not the mythology), he killed Ajax who was also a Demigod like Achilles. That puts him above human in terms of feats IMO..

Since we are talking movie versions, the movie version of Hector killed the movie version of Ajax (who was a demigod) which makes Hector formidable enough to give hell to Achilles.. Then I can agree on Achiles beating Bucky for a slight majority..

Man_of_Miracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Man_of_Miracles

@i_like_swords said:
No Caption Provided

The scripting of the "impossible" spear throw. It was indeed superhuman, exact distance of 100 yards.

Considering the longest Javelin throw is 98.48 yards I would say that the speed it is thrown is more important to it being superhuman than the distance. However the distance is still superhuman.

EDIT: Just kidding there was a throw of 104.8 yards in 1984, not that it really takes away much from Achilles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@man_of_miracles:

Considering the longest Javelin throw is 98.48 yards I would say that the speed it is thrown is more important to it being superhuman than the distance. However the distance is still superhuman.

You also need to think about how powerful and accurate the throw was, though, and how casually he did it. He skewered the guy into the ground, and he took like, a moment, to size up the throw and let it off. I'm willing to bet the world's best javelin throw wasn't done with that level of power, precision or lack of preparation.

Man_of_Miracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@man_of_miracles:

You also need to think about how powerful and accurate the throw was, though, and how casually he did it. He skewered the guy into the ground, and he took like, a moment, to size up the throw and let it off. I'm willing to bet the world's best javelin throw wasn't done with that level of power, precision or lack of preparation.

Considering that the longest throw was actually 104.8 yards. The accuracy and power is what makes the throw superhuman.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@digitalshooter9: Bucky's arm is made of material far superior to the sword and metals of troys time, so if he blocked the spear it probably wouldn't do much to the arm.

But Achilles doesn't have a spear here anyway.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@digitalshooter9: Bucky's arm is made of material far superior to the sword and metals of troys time, so if he blocked the spear it probably wouldn't do much to the arm.

But Achilles doesn't have a spear here anyway.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords said:

@man_of_miracles:

Considering that the longest throw was actually 104.8 yards. The accuracy and power is what makes the throw superhuman.

..okay, but again that's kind of besides the point. Achilles wasn't really preparing for an olympic throw, he was just killing a guy to show off.

DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: Eh seemed to me Achilles was toying with Hector during some parts, smacked his butt near the end lol.

No he wasn't at all. Hector clearly gave him the fight of his life. IIRC Achilles says that to Hector's father afterwards..

Hector clearly countered a lot of Achilles's moves and even gave a mild slash to his chest. Achilles only survived that due to his chest plate. Also, somewhere in the fight Hector hits Achilles's heel and nothing happens because of the armor on his leg. If that armor wash't there, then Achilles would have been in trouble.

Let's not forget how Hector tripped over a stone and lost his balance through the end of the fight.

And Achilles clearly didn't play around with him. You'd know if you watched the movie, Achilles is damn pissed at Hector for killing his cousin. He wouldn't play around with anyone in such a case would he? They had a legit fight where Hector gave him real trouble (that is a good feat considering Achilles kills normal trained soldiers in multiples of a second in the beach battle scene)

On a note also, Achilles showed some stamina there, above human imo. Looking at the 2, Hector was breathing and going all out through it, whereas with Achilles he seemed to just dance around and wasn't really taking any deep breaths till near the end and even then.

Achilles was also breathing by the end, it just took him more time to hit that state. Which I believe is normal because Hector tripped on a rock and lost his balance way before he should have.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@digitalshooter9:

Also, somewhere in the fight Hector hits Achilles's heel and nothing happens because of the armor on his leg. If that armor wash't there, then Achilles would have been in trouble.

It seemed a lot more like Achilles intended for that to happen, the way he slams in foot down in the path of the blade.

But yeah, you're right, Achilles wasn't toying with Hector, at least not until the very end when he was gassed.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Wolfrazer  Online

@digitalshooter9: Right but really it just seemed like Achilles was dancing around him at some points, whereas Hector was going all out against him with his blows and I did say at some parts not throughout the whole fight.

Yes that's what I said, he was breathing at the end, his stamina still seemed to be above human if we compare him to Hector which the fight was taking it's toll on him.

DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@digitalshooter9:

Also, somewhere in the fight Hector hits Achilles's heel and nothing happens because of the armor on his leg. If that armor wash't there, then Achilles would have been in trouble.

It seemed a lot more like Achilles intended for that to happen, the way he slams in foot down in the path of the blade.

But yeah, you're right, Achilles wasn't toying with Hector, at least not until the very end when he was gassed.

Well at the end, Hector was all burned out so Achilles did dance around him, you are right in that point. But in the beginning and especially in the middle of the fight where Hector gives him the chest slash, Achilles clearly freezes for a second and implies that he indeed was at the edge.

Achilles might have blocked the leg slash on purpose, but the chest slash clearly showed how Achilles was indeed in trouble for the first time.

Hector getting gassed by the end could be because he tripped on the rock, because from that point on he suggests that he is wasted.

The fight until the rock suggests Hector is more than good enough to give Achilles trouble. And that fight scene also shows off amazing technical skill for both.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@digitalshooter9: I would have to disagree that the rock affected Hector's stamina.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

His energy was fading prior to tripping on the rock. After he tripped (which wouldn't really reduce stamina, at best he would have sprained something), he used all of his energy to launch an offensive, which Achilles managed to stave off. After that, Hector was too spent to mount another offensive.

DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@digitalshooter9: Right but really it just seemed like Achilles was dancing around him at some points, whereas Hector was going all out against him with his blows and I did say at some parts not throughout the whole fight.

Achilles only danced around him in the end where Hector was burned out and had tripped on the rock. But until that point, Achilles was going all out. Hell it seemed to me where Hector slashed Achilles's chest and Achilles afalled for a second, he could have stabbed him again right at the instant but didn't and seemingly held back. This could be because how Hector didn't feel all the hatred Achilles felt (his cousin and all) and actually felt guilt for what he did to Patroclus.

Yes that's what I said, he was breathing at the end, his stamina still seemed to be above human if we compare him to Hector which the fight was taking it's toll on him.

Well, seeing as how Achilles is a demigod and Hector is a human, that is normal.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Wolfrazer  Online

@digitalshooter9: Eh it didn't seem like he went all out at some points to me before the end came, but perhaps I'm looking at it differently.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@digitalshooter9:

Well, seeing as how Achilles is a demigod and Hector is a human, that is normal.

He's a regular (well, relatively speaking..) human in the film. His goddess mother is a normal 45 year old woman.

DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@digitalshooter9: I would have to disagree that the rock affected Hector's stamina.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

His energy was fading prior to tripping on the rock. After he tripped (which wouldn't really reduce stamina, at best he would have sprained something), he used all of his energy to launch an offensive, which Achilles managed to stave off. After that, Hector was too spent to mount another offensive.

Well not necessarily him losing stamina, but rather him losing his balance... Because falling down in a sword fight is detrimental to your coordination.

Man_of_Miracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Man_of_Miracles

@man_of_miracles said:

@i_like_swords said:

@man_of_miracles:

..okay, but again that's kind of besides the point. Achilles wasn't really preparing for an olympic throw, he was just killing a guy to show off.

I already agreed the throw was superhuman, the question is to what degree.

AZTERIX_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By AZTERIX_

Achilles.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Wolfrazer  Online

@i_like_swords: Hm...alright that's certainly a different take.

Also on a note...is there any real source, in saying that Achilles wasn't a demigod or at least superhuman in Troy? I keep seeing posts and then people post that vid about Achilles saying he wouldn't need a shield if he was. But I would like to see a more outside statement really.

GXrevolution96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@digitalshooter9 Achilies was not having trouble with Hector at all. In fact, Achilies had already won the fight from the moment it began. There was not a single moment where Hector wasn't on the back foot.

Achiles outclassed him in every way; speed, strength,endurance(stamina). Hector was constantly thinking, how to approach Achillies but he did not know how to. Every attempt at him trying to kill him was blocked or avoided one way or another. There wasn't a single opening.

Notice how Achiles lost no stamina during the fight, whereas Hector on the other hand was panting like a worn out dog by the end of it. Hector's attacks were getting more and more sloppy the more he fought and it was only a matter of time before he was cut down. Achilies was just biding was just biding his time. Hector was simply no match for Aachilies' speed and reflexes. Achilies was dodging all of his attacks and was slowly wearing him down. Achilies was superior in every

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: Hm...alright that's certainly a different take.

Also on a note...is there any real source, in saying that Achilles wasn't a demigod or at least superhuman in Troy? I keep seeing posts and then people post that vid about Achilles saying he wouldn't need a shield if he was. But I would like to see a more outside statement really.

I sum it up like this: Troy was based on the myth, but it portrayed a more realistic version. Like, for those who don't actually believe there were gods and invulnerable demigods, this would be the realistic telling of their stories. You know, like how thunder storms nowadays are understood, back then people thought it was Zeus' wrath. And back then, there might have been a warrior called Achilles, who was so good at what he did that people thought he had to of been the son of a god. But realistically, it seems more likely that it was just a guy who was as close to superhuman you can get. He was "invulernable" because nobody could hurt him. In the myth, Apollo guides the arrow to his Achilles tendon, whereas in this film, Paris gets distracted and accidently shoots his achilles tendon. It's just a realistic telling of mythology, really.

But by our standards, Achilles was superhuman in Troy, and the script does mentions several times that the things Achilles does are impossible, or couldn't be replicated by any other man.

Korraspirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Achilies obliterates. He is basically immortal.

GXrevolution96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By GXrevolution96

@korraspirit Achilies wins for sure, but he dosen't 'obliterate'. After considering some of the comments, I say he wins with medium-high difficulty

Appzashok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go Achilles....