- Start ten feet apart facing each other

- Book version of Harry

- No Avatar State for Aang

- No prep

- In character

- Win by death or KO

Opinions?

#2 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (25152 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends a bit on starting distance. If aang can ko him fast enough, he wins. Otherwise, even with the speed advantage, harry is too versatile imo.

#3 Edited by dondave (39779 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends a bit on starting distance. If aang can ko him fast enough, he wins. Otherwise, even with the speed advantage, harry is too versatile imo.

#4 Posted by Jayc1324 (16296 posts) - - Show Bio

Harry Potter. Harry can block all of aangs attacks and can do a lot more than just use the elements.

#5 Posted by Silverrings (3043 posts) - - Show Bio

@princearagorn1 @dondave I've edited the set up. Also, Aang is very versatile himself. I think they both have a lot of tricks up their respective sleeves.

#6 Posted by stormweatherwitchgoddessqueenxmen (333 posts) - - Show Bio

@silverrings: harry potter has magical abilities and skills,what to stop him from curing/jinxing aang? since harry
knows simple curses and jinxes:)

#7 Posted by Silverrings (3043 posts) - - Show Bio

@stormweatherwitchgoddessqueenx said:

@silverrings: harry potter has magical abilities and skills,what to stop him from curing/jinxing aang? since harry

What's to stop him? Perhaps his morals, but perhaps not. Depends on the curse. He needs to use words for most, if not all, of his spells. And Aang is hardly gonna be standing still at all, and he's got all his elemental powers to utilize.

#8 Posted by Albertphytagoras (2107 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem is that HP movies tried to convince us that the 3 curses are Hax and undodgable despite the fact that was dodged.

Book version maybe wins. But the movie Harry gets stomped by Aang (EOS Aang fought against a continent/country busting Ozai).

#9 Edited by RogueShadow (14498 posts) - - Show Bio

Aang can just encase him in earth in an instant.

#10 Edited by OmniBeast (591 posts) - - Show Bio

Well are we talking Morals on or off? Cause if morals are off Aang just puts HP in an air bubble and suffocates him.

I think Aang takes this 6/10.

Harry and wizards in general don't fight hand to hand and prefer distance. Aang has range and melee training, he also has better physical traits imo. We've seen that hexs and curses can be dodged, and I'm very sure Aang has the speed and skills to dodge them. He can also use earth bending to block line of sight.

Though Aang doesn't have the magic HP has I feel like Aang has to many ways to close the distance and much more combat experience.

#11 Posted by uchiha454 (3508 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Aang's speed in the Avatar state is what gives him a win

#12 Posted by Experio (18205 posts) - - Show Bio

Aang. His speed and the location should allow him to dodge anything Harry throws at him while he attacks from sides of directions.

#13 Edited by OmniBeast (591 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Aang's speed in the Avatar state is what gives him a win

That's also a good point I forgot about.

Aang's avatar state gives him a lot more resistance and power lol.

#14 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (25152 posts) - - Show Bio

@stormweatherwitchgoddessqueenx said:

What's to stop him? Perhaps his morals, but perhaps not. Depends on the curse. He needs to use words for most, if not all, of his spells. And Aang is hardly gonna be standing still at all, and he's got all his elemental powers to utilize.

harry opens with either disarming, or paralysis. I'd say he will open with the latter on-ground.

#15 Posted by Silverrings (3043 posts) - - Show Bio

@albertphytagoras @omnibeast @uchiha454 Good points from y'all, but i should confirm a few things. Firstly, they are in character, as it says in the set up. Secondly, no Avatar State for Aang, which i'll add to the set up. Lastly, this is the book version of Harry, which i'll also add.

#16 Edited by OmniBeast (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@silverrings: I don't think it changes much. I've only ever read two books from the HP series and it was the first two. I'm not 100% sure of all the feats of HP book wise because I do know he has more compared to the movie. I also know HP is more powerful in the book, but over all I don't think it changes much. Whether Aang uses ranged elemental attacks to barrage HP down or use them to close the distance for a beat down I still think he takes it 7/10.

#17 Posted by MetalJimmor (2138 posts) - - Show Bio

Aang should win. He's faster, more athletic, and has just as strong ranged options as Harry does that can be fired with similar speed and accuracy. Aang also has a lot more area effecting moves that are hard to dodge than Harry ever showed, and Harry doesn't exactly have good agility. All of Harry's versatility comes down to being able to land his spells. Sure, he has a wide array of effects he can use, but if they are all delivered in the same straight bolt of light then it's not really that versatile. Meanwhile Aang has a number of ways to attack Harry.

Aang could, and probably will, start off with an air blast, which Harry may or may not be able to block. I can't recall him ever blocking a burst of wind or a wide blast that encompassed his whole body before. Or Aang could go with a water whip and snake around Harry's ankle to trip him up as he's trying to land a curse on Aang. Or Aang could just use ice spikes, which would require Harry to run for cover. Firebending would be pretty handy as it's a constantly available source of offensive power. Earthbending will be the most dangerous, given Aang can launch earth pillars from below Harry, which Harry does not have the reflexes to properly block or dodge.

Defensively Aang has the edge too. Harry's defensive spells have little to no feats against non-spell damage, so I'm not even sure he could defend against all of Aang's attacks anyway. Aang however has shown he can block attacks from the likes of Combustion Man, who's eye beam explosions are superior in destructive power to any instantaneous spell we've seen in Harry Potter by a good margin. Most spells and curses, even the killing curse, can be blocked by stone, and Aang can erect stone defenses at any moment he needs one. Aang also can create wind barriers, though I'm not sure if HP spells have a physical presence to allow them to be blown away. They can be blocked by stone and armor, so I'd assume there's some physical presence in them that can be deflected by a barrier of wind.

Aang also has his staff in this battle, which means he can take flight if he needs to. Harry can't fly without his broom, so Aang has the edge there as well, on top of Aang already being able to make huge airbending leaps and vastly superior natural agility. The staff also lets Aang use some neat airbending tricks like forming a cyclone and telekinetically throwing his opponent around.

And finally Aang has actual hand to hand skill. If Aang gets close, and as fast as he is that's entirely possible, then Harry is completely done for.

#18 Edited by Sachmoo (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

In character w/ morals on, Aang tries to befriend Harry. And Harry accepts!

They Then join forces and take on....... Deathstroke?

#19 Edited by uchiha454 (3508 posts) - - Show Bio

@silverrings: Aang still should win air bending is kind of a hax in the avatarverse it enables you to dodge virtually any attack (Harrys spells in this case) and offers offensives at virtually every range look at korra whenever she fought an opponent aand started air bending she won that's because many didn't no how to deal with Harry will have the same issue here

#20 Posted by TheTruthIII (972 posts) - - Show Bio

While I agree Aang can win this, I don't believe it's as easy as you make it sound.

Aang should win. He's faster, more athletic, and has just as strong ranged options as Harry does that can be fired with similar speed and accuracy. Aang also has a lot more area effecting moves that are hard to dodge than Harry ever showed, and Harry doesn't exactly have good agility.

Actually, Harry has very good agility, being a star Quidditch player and all. The only example that comes to mind right now is in The Deathly Hallows, where Harry dodged several close-range Avada Kedavra's from Crabbe.

All of Harry's versatility comes down to being able to land his spells. Sure, he has a wide array of effects he can use, but if they are all delivered in the same straight bolt of light then it's not really that versatile. Meanwhile Aang has a number of ways to attack Harry.

Actually, his Patronous is capable of following other people and even injuring them to a certain degree (as shown when Harry sends one at Malfoy after mistaking him for a Dementer). Also, his array of spells include bewitching items so that they follow certain individuals around; it could be useful if he curses a boulder like that :)

Aang could, and probably will, start off with an air blast, which Harry may or may not be able to block. I can't recall him ever blocking a burst of wind or a wide blast that encompassed his whole body before. Or Aang could go with a water whip and snake around Harry's ankle to trip him up as he's trying to land a curse on Aang. Or Aang could just use ice spikes, which would require Harry to run for cover. Firebending would be pretty handy as it's a constantly available source of offensive power. Earthbending will be the most dangerous, given Aang can launch earth pillars from below Harry, which Harry does not have the reflexes to properly block or dodge.

First off, what happens if Harry starts the fight? Even if it isn't a lethal curse, if it hits, Aang will most likely be incapacitated for the rest of the round. And even if that doesn't happen, most of what you mentioned can be blocked by a Shield Charm, and what cannot be stopped can likely be dodged.

Defensively Aang has the edge too. Harry's defensive spells have little to no feats against non-spell damage, so I'm not even sure he could defend against all of Aang's attacks anyway.

Actually, Harry has used Shield Charms on things other than magic; his best friends, Ron & Hermionie. The result was that both of them were blown several feet apart, and came up wincing.

Aang however has shown he can block attacks from the likes of Combustion Man, who's eye beam explosions are superior in destructive power to any instantaneous spell we've seen in Harry Potter by a good margin. Most spells and curses, even the killing curse, can be blocked by stone, and Aang can erect stone defenses at any moment he needs one. Aang also can create wind barriers, though I'm not sure if HP spells have a physical presence to allow them to be blown away. They can be blocked by stone and armor, so I'd assume there's some physical presence in them that can be deflected by a barrier of wind.

While I don't disagree, Aang will have to have very accurate timing to block like that. Even so, Harry could just Apparate behind him, then proceed to stun/paralyze/kill him.

Aang also has his staff in this battle, which means he can take flight if he needs to. Harry can't fly without his broom, so Aang has the edge there as well, on top of Aang already being able to make huge airbending leaps and vastly superior natural agility. The staff also lets Aang use some neat airbending tricks like forming a cyclone and telekinetically throwing his opponent around.

It's not hard to simply raise your wand and say "Accio Broom"....

And finally Aang has actual hand to hand skill. If Aang gets close, and as fast as he is that's entirely possible, then Harry is completely done for.

Can Aang teleport? If not, I seriously don't see him getting close.

#21 Posted by MetalJimmor (2138 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetruthiii:

While I agree Aang can win this, I don't believe it's as easy as you make it sound.

I didn't say it would be easy. I was just listing Aang's advantages and how he could pull a win.

Actually, Harry has very good agility, being a star Quidditch player and all. The only example that comes to mind right now is in The Deathly Hallows, whereHarry dodged several close-range Avada Kedavra's from Crabbe.

Quidditch doesn't really show agility given it's all on broomstick. Crabbe is also an incredibly incompetent wizard, so that feat isn't especially impressive. Certainly not enough to compare to Aang's ability to run faster than the wind, leap massive distances, or use the airscooter to run along walls and shoot around at high speeds.

Actually, his Patronous is capable of following other people and even injuring them to a certain degree (as shown when Harry sends one at Malfoy after mistaking him for a Dementer). Also, his array of spells include bewitching items so that they follow certain individuals around; it could be useful if he curses a boulder like that :)

Patronus isn't exactly his go to spell against non-dementors, given the spell is designed to deal with dementors. It's also not very impressive as far as "damage" output against non-dementors. And when has Harry ever bewitched an item during a duel? He's never displayed that level of skill.

First off, what happens if Harry starts the fight? Even if it isn't a lethal curse, if it hits, Aang will most likely be incapacitated for the rest of the round. And even if that doesn't happen, most of what you mentioned can be blocked by a Shield Charm, and what cannot be stopped can likely be dodged.

If Harry starts then Aang casually dodges Harry's spell with his vastly superior agility and speed. And again, the shield charm might not hold against Aang's area of effect bending strikes that he can fire off just as easily as a single strike. What are the shield charm's best feats in blocking non-spell damage?

Actually, Harry has used Shield Charms on things other than magic; his best friends, Ron & Hermionie. The result was that both of them were blown several feet apart, and came up wincing.

So his shield charm can stop two people moving toward him and has the power to mildly hurt teenagers. That... Isn't very impressive compared to hurtling boulders and earth pillars that have been shown to have fatal damage potential.

While I don't disagree, Aang will have to have very accurate timing to block like that. Even so, Harry could just Apparate behind him, then proceed to stun/paralyze/kill him.

If HP wizards can see, react to, and block spells with their not-even-peak human reflexes then I'm sure Aang won't have a problem doing the same. Remember, children can block and avoid spells fired from experienced dark wizards in the HP universe. Also, Harry has never used apparation in battle. He isn't skilled enough to do that. If he tries to teleport mid-battle he'll get splinched and incapacitate himself.

That spell doesn't teleport the item to him. It calls the item and it comes. The OP didn't say where the fight was in relation to Hogwarts or if it's even in the HP universe, so accio shouldn't be able to call his broom at all. Even if it did, it could take minutes to hours to days for the broom to actually arrive depending on how far away it is.

#22 Posted by TheTruthIII (972 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetruthiii:

I didn't say it would be easy. I was just listing Aang's advantages and how he could pull a win.

Okay, then. Glad we agree :)

Actually, Harry has very good agility, being a star Quidditch player and all. The only example that comes to mind right now is in The Deathly Hallows, whereHarry dodged several close-range Avada Kedavra's from Crabbe.

Quidditch doesn't really show agility given it's all on broomstick. Crabbe is also an incredibly incompetent wizard, so that feat isn't especially impressive. Certainly not enough to compare to Aang's ability to run faster than the wind, leap massive distances, or use the airscooter to run along walls and shoot around at high speeds.

Yes, actually Quidditch does affect normal agility; you'd have to be pretty darn fast to dodge Bludgers while hanging on a spindly piece of wood. Also, I never said Crabbe was more powerful than Aang, that's just ridiculous. However, Crabbe is no way as incompetent as you make him; he was able to use Avada Kedavra when Harry and Malfoy still couldn't. Even if he was terrible at magic, that wouldn't really affect his aim, now would it?

Patronus isn't exactly his go to spell against non-dementors, given the spell is designed to deal with dementors. It's also not very impressive as far as "damage" output against non-dementors. And when has Harry ever bewitched an item during a duel? He's never displayed that level of skill.

Harry nearly knocked 4 wizards unconscious with a very amateur Patronous. What makes this more surprising is that he was several hundred feet up when he did so. A Patronous is meant specifically for Dementers, but in no way does that mean it's not capable of hurting normal people as well. As for bewitching things, Fred and George Weasly were capable of doing it in their second year, so why can't Harry do it? All he has to do is point his wand at a rock and say whatever is required, and *poof*, bewitched weapon.

If Harry starts then Aang casually dodges Harry's spell with his vastly superior agility and speed. And again, the shield charm might not hold against Aang's area of effect bending strikes that he can fire off just as easily as a single strike. What are the shield charm's best feats in blocking non-spell damage?

What are Aang's best feats blocking magical damage? Since no one in the HP world uses anything but magic, that kind of feat isn't likely to exist, just like Aang having no feats to prove he can block spells.

So his shield charm can stop two people moving toward him and has the power to mildly hurt teenagers. That... Isn't very impressive compared to hurtling boulders and earth pillars that have been shown to have fatal damage potential.

You do realize the Shield Charm isn't intended for offensive purposes?

If HP wizards can see, react to, and block spells with their not-even-peak human reflexes then I'm sure Aang won't have a problem doing the same. Remember, children can block and avoid spells fired from experienced dark wizards in the HP universe. Also, Harry has never used apparation in battle. He isn't skilled enough to do that. If he tries to teleport mid-battle he'll get splinched and incapacitate himself.

When has a mere "child" ever fended off an experienced Death Eater?? BTW, Harry in his later years does not count as a child. Also, Harry has Apparated away in the midst of a battle before; he didn't splinch himself (though Ron did :P). Plus, splinching only happens when someone grabs you while you're Apparating; since Aang doesn't know that, and the fact that Apparating is instantaneous, Aang has a very, very very very little chance (at best) to manage to do it.

That spell doesn't teleport the item to him. It calls the item and it comes. The OP didn't say where the fight was in relation to Hogwarts or if it's even in the HP universe, so accio shouldn't be able to call his broom at all. Even if it did, it could take minutes to hours to days for the broom to actually arrive depending on how far away it is.

That's true... but I wont stop believing!!!

#23 Edited by Carter_esque (6705 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

Harry Potter. Harry can block all of aangs attacks and can do a lot more than just use the elements.

#24 Edited by Stefano (369 posts) - - Show Bio

Aang is just to fast, in his fight with Ozai he was able to dodge several fire and lightning blasts. spells from the Harry potter universe are constantly dodged or countered by people with far less speed then aang. Also aang can use the environment to his favor, for example create walls of rock (just like when he build the zoo) this way HP won't be able to see him and aang could just "see" with his feet and suck Harry through the earth.

#25 Edited by KnightOfZero (2258 posts) - - Show Bio

aang. he has proven to be fast enough to dodge lightning and has above average reflexes/reaction time because of his training+airbending. People in the harry potter world (normal humans) can dodge spells (with the exception of sectumsembra), so aang should be able to do heavy damage before harry thinks to do that

#26 Edited by MetalJimmor (2138 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetruthiii:

Yes, actually Quidditch does affect normal agility; you'd have to be pretty darn fast to dodge Bludgers while hanging on a spindly piece of wood. Also, I never said Crabbe was more powerful than Aang, that's just ridiculous. However, Crabbe is no way as incompetent as you make him; he was able to use Avada Kedavra when Harry and Malfoy still couldn't. Even if he was terrible at magic, that wouldn't really affect his aim, now would it?

That's more dexterity than agility. The broom is doing all the actual movement, and Harry can't replicate his evasive ability on the broomstick on his own two feet. As for Crabbe, he is exactly as incompetent as I make him. He was depicted as a blithering idiot through the series, and while he did eventually master Avada Kedavra he completely botched his Fiendfyre and well.. He ended up killing himself with his own spell. As for his aim, it might, to be frank. He was spamming his spell trying to hit Harry. He doesn't exactly have feats to claim he's a skilled marksman in spite of his poor magical ability and lack of intelligence.

Harry nearly knocked 4 wizards unconscious with a very amateur Patronous. What makes this more surprising is that he was several hundred feet up when he did so. A Patronous is meant specifically for Dementers, but in no way does that mean it's not capable of hurting normal people as well. As for bewitching things, Fred and George Weasly were capable of doing it in their second year, so why can't Harry do it? All he has to do is point his wand at a rock and say whatever is required, and *poof*, bewitched weapon.

I'm having a hard time remembering any time Harry used a patronus to knock someone unconscious. Can you be more specific? Also, Fred and George have never used such a spell in combat either. Remember, just because they can perform a spell in class or for a prank doesn't mean they can casually perform it mid-battle. Harry doesn't have feats to say he can use spells like that on the fly mid-combat. If he could, I'm sure he would've used it.

What are Aang's best feats blocking magical damage? Since no one in the HP world uses anything but magic, that kind of feat isn't likely to exist, just like Aang having no feats to prove he can block spells.

Aang doesn't need feats for blocking magic, since the magic itself was shown not to pass through physical barriers. Thus Aang being able to create physical barriers is all the proof I need to show he can block the spells. Harry's defensive charms however have little to no feats shown to stop non-magical damage, so we can't assume it can block all of Aang's attacks. However, wizards shoot fire and manipulate stuff with their magic all the time, so there's ample opportunity to have the shields block things other than spells. If you can show feats of them blocking say, a levitated boulder, then that would suffice. Something more quantifiable than blocking a hex or jinx.

I do. It succeeding in blocking two teenagers from walking toward Harry is not enough to suggest it can block a pillar of stone shooting through the air at high speeds.

When has a mere "child" ever fended off an experienced Death Eater?? BTW, Harry in his later years does not count as a child. Also, Harry has Apparated away in the midst of a battle before; he didn't splinch himself (though Ron did :P). Plus, splinching only happens when someone grabs you while you're Apparating; since Aang doesn't know that, and the fact that Apparating is instantaneous, Aang has a very, very very very little chance (at best) to manage to do it.

When Harry and a bunch of kids went to the Ministry and didn't get completely wrecked by the Death Eaters who were waiting there for them. Six young teenagers walk into a trap set by the Death Eaters and only suffered some minor injuries. Sure, they were saved by the Order of the Pheonix, but that doesn't excuse that the children weren't immediately killed off by the older, more experienced, and prepared dark wizards. Later on during the battle of Astronomy Tower the young wizards again battled Death Eaters and weren't immediately shut down. The power of the wizard doesn't really matter in wizard duels, the spells move slow enough that anyone who's paying attention can generally react to them.

Also, that wasn't Harry apparating. That was Harmoine. Harry has never used apparation in combat, and there's no evidence to suggest he could. It's a very high level ability. Also, splinching is caused when the user tries to apparate without enough concentration on the destination. In other words, if Harry is distracted by an encroaching fireball and tries to apparate he could end up splinched. There is a reason only Voldermort and Dumbledore were able to use apparation in combat in the books.

#27 Posted by TheTruthIII (972 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetruthiii:

That's more dexterity than agility. The broom is doing all the actual movement, and Harry can't replicate his evasive ability on the broomstick on his own two feet. As for Crabbe, he is exactly as incompetent as I make him. He was depicted as a blithering idiot through the series, and while he did eventually master Avada Kedavra he completely botched his Fiendfyre and well.. He ended up killing himself with his own spell. As for his aim, it might, to be frank. He was spamming his spell trying to hit Harry. He doesn't exactly have feats to claim he's a skilled marksman in spite of his poor magical ability and lack of intelligence.

You're acting like the broom moves you around the field and dodges obstacles automatically. That's not the case; without Harry's superb reflexes and athletic agility, he would've gotten hit no matter how good his broom was. In other words, the broom is like a car; if the user is an idiot, then the vehicle is completely void.

Also, it wasn't Crabbe that is depicted as a retard; its Goyle. At the end of The Sorcerers Stone, there was something along the lines of Harry being disappointed because Goyle was "almost as stupid as he was mean", yet he still passed the end-of-year exams; it's not a coincidence J.K. Rowling didn't mention Crabbe. It's just confusing because their respective characters are so alike (until the 7th book, of course). Plus, you don't have to be a skilled marksman to hit people with spells; in fact, Harry, Dumbledore, Voldemort and so many other top notch wizards have zero feats of superior aim, yet they seem to do just fine.

And one more thing; Crabbe didn't kill himself with a spell, his life was ended by a flaming, collapsing room.

I'm having a hard time remembering any time Harry used a patronus to knock someone unconscious. Can you be more specific? Also, Fred and George have never used such a spell in combat either. Remember, just because they can perform a spell in class or for a prank doesn't mean they can casually perform it mid-battle. Harry doesn't have feats to say he can use spells like that on the fly mid-combat. If he could, I'm sure he would've used it.

In only his third year, just a couple days after he was barely able to shoot silver strings out of his wand, Harry knocked down (and almost out) Malfoy, Crabbe (whose immense size and strength makes this feat even better), Goyle (likewise) and Marcus Flint with a super-weak Patronous. As for bewitching objects, he doesn't need feats; Harry is a naturally skilled wizard that managed to use a spell of Snape's creation against Malfoy in a duel, and he did it with no previous experience whatsoever; its not hard to see him do the same with a bewitching spell.

Aang doesn't need feats for blocking magic, since the magic itself was shown not to pass through physical barriers. Thus Aang being able to create physical barriers is all the proof I need to show he can block the spells. Harry's defensive charms however have little to no feats shown to stop non-magical damage, so we can't assume it can block all of Aang's attacks. However, wizards shoot fire and manipulate stuff with their magic all the time, so there's ample opportunity to have the shields block things other than spells. If you can show feats of them blocking say, a levitated boulder, then that would suffice. Something more quantifiable than blocking a hex or jinx.

Give me some time on this one; I have all 7 books, so it shouldn't take much time.

I do. It succeeding in blocking two teenagers from walking toward Harry is not enough to suggest it can block a pillar of stone shooting through the air at high speeds.

When Harry and a bunch of kids went to the Ministry and didn't get completely wrecked by the Death Eaters who were waiting there for them. Six young teenagers walk into a trap set by the Death Eaters and only suffered some minor injuries. Sure, they were saved by the Order of the Pheonix, but that doesn't excuse that the children weren't immediately killed off by the older, more experienced, and prepared dark wizards. Later on during the battle of Astronomy Tower the young wizards again battled Death Eaters and weren't immediately shut down. The power of the wizard doesn't really matter in wizard duels, the spells move slow enough that anyone who's paying attention can generally react to them.

You do realize the first example was because Voldemort gave specific orders to bring back the Prophecy unharmed; and since the Prophecy was in Harry's hands, Lucius Malfoy had no choice but to diplomatically end this encounter. Otherwise, Bellatrix would've soloed the entire group by herself.

As for the Astronomy Tower one, I'm kind of rusty. Can you tell me what book it was in? Thanks.

Also, that wasn't Harry apparating. That was Harmoine. Harry has never used apparation in combat, and there's no evidence to suggest he could. It's a very high level ability. Also, splinching is caused when the user tries to apparate without enough concentration on the destination. In other words, if Harry is distracted by an encroaching fireball and tries to apparate he could end up splinched. There is a reason only Voldermort and Dumbledore were able to use apparation in combat in the books.

Once again, the portion where Harry's threesome escapes from the Ministry is a perfect example; Ministry wizards were firing spells left and right, yet Harry successfully Disapparated without splinching, as did Hermionie. Ron failed to do so because he never passed the Apparation test.

#28 Posted by Supermankillsbatman (49 posts) - - Show Bio

Aang wins this one for me!

#29 Posted by MetalJimmor (2138 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetruthiii:

You're acting like the broom moves you around the field and dodges obstacles automatically. That's not the case; without Harry's superb reflexes and athletic agility, he would've gotten hit no matter how good his broom was. In other words, the broom is like a car; if the user is an idiot, then the vehicle is completely void.

Also, it wasn't Crabbe that is depicted as a retard; its Goyle. At the end of The Sorcerers Stone, there was something along the lines of Harry being disappointed because Goyle was "almost as stupid as he was mean", yet he still passed the end-of-year exams; it's not a coincidence J.K. Rowling didn't mention Crabbe. It's just confusing because their respective characters are so alike (until the 7th book, of course). Plus, you don't have to be a skilled marksman to hit people with spells; in fact, Harry, Dumbledore, Voldemort and so many other top notch wizards have zero feats of superior aim, yet they seem to do just fine.

And one more thing; Crabbe didn't kill himself with a spell, his life was ended by a flaming, collapsing room.

And you're acting like riding a broom is the same as being able to do cartwheels and do flips in the air. It isn't. It's also a sport that is played by children, so you can see why I'm skeptical of it being any indication of Harry being an agile fighter. Also, per your analogy; is a skilled driver also comparably agile to an acrobatic martial artist? Of course not. He needs awareness of where he's going and how to control his car, but that doesn't mean he's agile in a combat situation without his car.

Also, it was Crabbe and Goyle who were morons. In the last book Crabbe is going after Harry and Harmoine and Draco is telling him to stop, but he doesn't because he can't understand why Voldermort wants Harry alive. He wasn't suppose to kill them but he tried to. Also there's this exchange for the Order of the Pheonix.

Angelina Johnson: "...I was always surprised Derrick and Bole managed to find their way onto the pitch without signposts."

Harry Potter: "Crabbe and Goyle are in the same mould."

They were both big, dumb rocks. Crabbe learned some high level dark magic because he was malicious enough to use them without remorse. In the end Crabbe's lack of skill and knowledge of the spells he was using killed him. That collapsing building was on fire because of his spell, the Fiendfyre.

In only his third year, just a couple days after he was barely able to shoot silver strings out of his wand, Harry knocked down (and almost out) Malfoy, Crabbe (whose immense size and strength makes this feat even better), Goyle (likewise) and Marcus Flint with a super-weak Patronous. As for bewitching objects, he doesn't need feats; Harry is a naturally skilled wizard that managed to use a spell of Snape's creation against Malfoy in a duel, and he did it with no previous experience whatsoever; its not hard to see him do the same with a bewitching spell.

I feel you're vastly overselling Crabbe and Goyle. They were big and strong for thirteen year old boys, but "Immense strength"? They are no Hagrid sir.

Also, he does need the feats. Not a lot of wizards in the books used charmed objects in battle. And Harry, while gifted in some aspects of magic, mostly got by with the fundamentals of dueling. If he never displayed that magical ability in a combat situation then you can't say he has access to those abilities in combat. Especially not Harry given he's the main character and had more than enough times to show off his skill in the multitude of duels he's been in through the seven books.

You do realize the first example was because Voldemort gave specific orders to bring back the Prophecy unharmed; and since the Prophecy was in Harry's hands, Lucius Malfoy had no choice but to diplomatically end this encounter. Otherwise, Bellatrix would've soloed the entire group by herself.

As for the Astronomy Tower one, I'm kind of rusty. Can you tell me what book it was in? Thanks.

Not to harm the Prophecy. I'm pretty sure he gave no thought to the lives of the children. More to the point, the children put up a fight. They actually got a few paralysis charms on a few of the no name Death Eaters and were able to hold their own. This battle should have played out as the Death Eaters showing up and taking all the children down casually, but it didn't. The magic in Harry Potter can be reacted to by teenagers with some minor dueling practice. None of said teenagers had any speed or reflex feats that suggest they are more agile than children of their age. Most of them didn't even play sports or do anything physically active outside their magic classes.

The Astronomy Tower was when Dumbledore died. Which was... Book six I think? Honestly the story just flows together to me. It's hard to remember which moments come from which book.

Once again, the portion where Harry's threesome escapes from the Ministry is a perfect example; Ministry wizards were firing spells left and right, yet Harry successfully Disapparated without splinching, as did Hermionie. Ron failed to do so because he never passed the Apparation test.

Again that wasn't Harry's spell. Harmoine performed it, Harry and Ron piggy backed on her and that Ministry wizard jumped on after them. This caused Harmoine to lose focus and ended with Ron getting splinched. This isn't a feat of Harry using apparition in combat. Also, Harry never passed that test either. He wasn't legally allowed to use it during book seven, which is part of why Harmoine was the only one performing it. The other reason being she was the best at apparating of the three.

Even if this did count as Harry's feat, which it doesn't, using it to escape a fight isn't the same as using it to teleport tactically around a battlefield and lobbing spells on the fly. Harry doesn't have the feats to suggest he's skilled enough with apparation to use it as an offensive weapon.

#30 Posted by TheTruthIII (972 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetruthiii:

And you're acting like riding a broom is the same as being able to do cartwheels and do flips in the air. It isn't. It's also a sport that is played by children, so you can see why I'm skeptical of it being any indication of Harry being an agile fighter. Also, per your analogy; is a skilled driver also comparably agile to an acrobatic martial artist? Of course not. He needs awareness of where he's going and how to control his car, but that doesn't mean he's agile in a combat situation without his car.

Harry doesn't just "play" the sport; he excels at it. Anyone, like Neville or Hagrid, could easily "play" the sport, but they would never achieve the level of skill Harry has. In the first book, Professor McGonagall stated that Harry was better than Charlie Weasly, who was than stated to have been good enough to play for England. That means that Harry is at or even above a professional level. And since Harry is immensely good at a game where you have to constantly dodge bludgers and fellow players, it's only logic that his agility is higher than that of a normal person's. In fact, being on a broom isn't that much different from being on foot; you still have to duck, turn left/right and have very good reflexes. Plus, it's not like Harry needs to have superb, well train warrior reflexes; he only needs enough to grant him the ability to dodge rocks and stuff Aang can throw at him.

Also, it was Crabbe and Goyle who were morons. In the last book Crabbe is going after Harry and Harmoine and Draco is telling him to stop, but he doesn't because he can't understand why Voldermort wants Harry alive. He wasn't suppose to kill them but he tried to. Also there's this exchange for the Order of the Pheonix.

Angelina Johnson: "...I was always surprised Derrick and Bole managed to find their way onto the pitch without signposts."

Harry Potter: "Crabbe and Goyle are in the same mould."

They were both big, dumb rocks. Crabbe learned some high level dark magic because he was malicious enough to use them without remorse. In the end Crabbe's lack of skill and knowledge of the spells he was using killed him. That collapsing building was on fire because of his spell, the Fiendfyre.

Actually, it's not because he didn't know why Voldemort wanted them alive, it's because of instinct and the fact he desired recognition from his master. Malfoy, having a father who was a senior Death Eater, could analyze the situation much more thoroughly than Crabbe, who only knew/cared that Harry was the enemy.

I feel you're vastly overselling Crabbe and Goyle. They were big and strong for thirteen year old boys, but "Immense strength"? They are no Hagrid sir.

Hagrid is half-giant; he's not "immense" strength, he's literally "inhuman" strength. As for Crabbe and Goyle's description, I was merely comparing them to their respective age groups.

Also, he does need the feats. Not a lot of wizards in the books used charmed objects in battle. And Harry, while gifted in some aspects of magic, mostly got by with the fundamentals of dueling. If he never displayed that magical ability in a combat situation then you can't say he has access to those abilities in combat. Especially not Harry given he's the main character and had more than enough times to show off his skill in the multitude of duels he's been in through the seven books.

That's because Harry doesn't need to bewitch items!! No one in the wizarding world is fast enough for Harry to be forced onto such desperate ground; Any opponent Harry ever faced can be easily taken out by a well placed hex.

Not to harm the Prophecy. I'm pretty sure he gave no thought to the lives of the children. More to the point, the children put up a fight. They actually got a few paralysis charms on a few of the no name Death Eaters and were able to hold their own. This battle should have played out as the Death Eaters showing up and taking all the children down casually, but it didn't. The magic in Harry Potter can be reacted to by teenagers with some minor dueling practice. None of said teenagers had any speed or reflex feats that suggest they are more agile than children of their age. Most of them didn't even play sports or do anything physically active outside their magic classes.

Actually, Voldemort did care about Harry; he's said several times that he wanted to kill Harry himself. Also, Harry was threatening to smash the prophecy if the Death Eaters even remotely jinxed them, effectively linking his life to that of which the Death Eater's desired. So, if Lucius were to order his men to go all out like you suggest, I'm sure Harry and co would die, the Prophecy would be smashed and Voldemort would kill everyone else.

And this encounter wasn't even a battle; it ended with Harry, Luna, Ron, Neville, Ginny and Hermionie running for their lives and firing random spells behind their back, So what if they got a couple lucky shots? The Death Eaters weren't allowed to injure the Hogwarts students, plus they were constantly blocked by darkness and hundreds of spheres and bookshelves raining down on them, yet they still managed to bleed Luna, Jinx Ron, separate Ginny and give every else minor injuries. If Harry didn't have all these advantages, it's obvious that he wouldn't of stood a chance.

The Astronomy Tower was when Dumbledore died. Which was... Book six I think? Honestly the story just flows together to me. It's hard to remember which moments come from which book.

I'll have to check on that.

Again that wasn't Harry's spell. Harmoine performed it, Harry and Ron piggy backed on her and that Ministry wizard jumped on after them. This caused Harmoine to lose focus and ended with Ron getting splinched. This isn't a feat of Harry using apparition in combat. Also, Harry never passed that test either. He wasn't legally allowed to use it during book seven, which is part of why Harmoine was the only one performing it. The other reason being she was the best at apparating of the three.

Even if this did count as Harry's feat, which it doesn't, using it to escape a fight isn't the same as using it to teleport tactically around a battlefield and lobbing spells on the fly. Harry doesn't have the feats to suggest he's skilled enough with apparation to use it as an offensive weapon.

I wholeheartedly agree. Harry isn't going to Apparate out of this.

Well, I don't even know why I started this argument; I agreed to your point of view in the first place :) Aang wins.

Peace

#31 Posted by MetalJimmor (2138 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetruthiii:

That's because Harry doesn't need to bewitch items!! No one in the wizarding world is fast enough for Harry to be forced onto such desperate ground; Any opponent Harry ever faced can be easily taken out by a well placed hex.

I just wanted to address this. Voldermort. He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named was an opponent Harry couldn't take down with a well placed jinx. We even see Dumbledore and Voldermort animating statues and conjuring flaming serpents against each other in their duel, indicating a much higher level of combat than Harry ever displayed. If Harry was skilled enough to fight the way they did I'm sure he'd have done it during any of his encounters against Voldermort.

At any rate, pleasure discussing this with you. Have a good day!

#32 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (25152 posts) - - Show Bio

@silverrings: Aang still should win air bending is kind of a hax in the avatarverse it enables you to dodge virtually any attack (Harrys spells in this case) and offers offensives at virtually every range look at korra whenever she fought an opponent aand started air bending she won that's because many didn't no how to deal with Harry will have the same issue here

not even close. The airbending isn't has by any means, nor does it enable you dodge 'any attack' automatically. Unless LoK changed things drastically. Aang is far more agile and capable than anyone else in the show, which is why he can dodge far better.

All of Harry's versatility comes down to being able to land his spells. Sure, he has a wide array of effects he can use, but if they are all delivered in the same straight bolt of light then it's not really that versatile. Meanwhile Aang has a number of ways to attack Harry.

Aang could, and probably will, start off with an air blast, which Harry may or may not be able to block. I can't recall him ever blocking a burst of wind or a wide blast that encompassed his whole body before. Or Aang could go with a water whip and snake around Harry's ankle to trip him up as he's trying to land a curse on Aang. Or Aang could just use ice spikes, which would require Harry to run for cover. Firebending would be pretty handy as it's a constantly available source of offensive power. Earthbending will be the most dangerous, given Aang can launch earth pillars from below Harry, which Harry does not have the reflexes to properly block or dodge. Defensively Aang has the edge too. Harry's defensive spells have little to no feats against non-spell damage, so I'm not even sure he could defend against all of Aang's attacks anyway. Aang however has shown he can block attacks from the likes of Combustion Man, who's eye beam explosions are superior in destructive power to any instantaneous spell we've seen in Harry Potter by a good margin. Most spells and curses, even the killing curse, can be blocked by stone, and Aang can erect stone defenses at any moment he needs one. Aang also can create wind barriers, though I'm not sure if HP spells have a physical presence to allow them to be blown away. They can be blocked by stone and armor, so I'd assume there's some physical presence in them that can be deflected by a barrier of wind.

Well, no. Not all of his spells are dependent on aiming. Levicorpus, for one, can be used by waving wand. The spell locks on by itself.

Second, Protego is like a physical barrier, it's strong enough to knock people back several steps just by being invoked, even when it's film-like. Though I don't think it'll be able to stop something like.. a granade, or a sniper bullet, for example, due to lack of feats, I don't think aang is getting past that.

Harry doesn't need to carry his broom around everywhere lol, all he has to do is flick his wand, and he'll be right next to it. He can freely move his broom around, and can use spells on it. Though aang can fly to some extent with his staff, I don't recall him being able to use bending without proper stance?

Most importantly of harry's advantage is teleportion. Though he hasn't used it to a degree others do in combat, didn't he become a top auror post-TS or something?

#33 Posted by ElmoHump (1512 posts) - - Show Bio

Harry sucks balls lol.He wouldn't even beat Zatanna.

#34 Edited by MetalJimmor (2138 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, no. Not all of his spells are dependent on aiming. Levicorpus, for one, can be used by waving wand. The spell locks on by itself.

Second, Protego is like a physical barrier, it's strong enough to knock people back several steps just by being invoked, even when it's film-like. Though I don't think it'll be able to stop something like.. a granade, or a sniper bullet, for example, due to lack of feats, I don't think aang is getting past that.

Harry doesn't need to carry his broom around everywhere lol, all he has to do is flick his wand, and he'll be right next to it. He can freely move his broom around, and can use spells on it. Though aang can fly to some extent with his staff, I don't recall him being able to use bending without proper stance?

Most importantly of harry's advantage is teleportion. Though he hasn't used it to a degree others do in combat, didn't he become a top auror post-TS or something?

Harry still has to point and aim his wand to cast it Levicorpus, and he presumably still needs to have line of sight. It also uses up the wand's focus, so Harry can't cast other spells with it active. Aang could still launch fireballs from an upside down position even if it did somehow catch him.

What about a large boulder flying through the air at dangerous speeds? Protego doesn't have the feats to suggest it can block every bending attack Aang has, and besides that it has to be cast as a reactive spell and doesn't persist on it's own. Harry can either defend or attack, but he can't do both.

Also, what spell does he use to summon his broom? I already explained why Accio wouldn't work in this scenario.

And I already explained why Harry can't use teleportation mid-combat. What he became after the end of the main storyline is not applicable because it's pure speculation.

#35 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (25152 posts) - - Show Bio

@metaljimmor:

Harry still has to point and aim his wand to cast it Levicorpus, and he presumably still needs to have line of sight. It also uses up the wand's focus, so Harry can't cast other spells with it active. Aang could still launch fireballs from an upside down position even if it did somehow catch him.

Not really. Harry waved his wand without aiming at all when the spell locked onto ron. I don't recall any spell in HP ever using up wand's 'focus', if that's even a thing. They can cast spells simultaneously iirc.. Like james did to snape. He was upside down, and used the bubbles charm to choke him.

What about a large boulder flying through the air at dangerous speeds? Protego doesn't have the feats to suggest it can block every bending attack Aang has, and besides that it has to be cast as a reactive spell and doesn't persist on it's own. Harry can either defend or attack, but he can't do both.

Sure it can. But I don't recall aang chucking huge boulders around? And why won't harry defend and attack at once again?

Also, what spell does he use to summon his broom? I already explained why Accio wouldn't work in this scenario.

Disapparate to where the broom is. Bring it back to the field.

And I already explained why Harry can't use teleportation mid-combat. What he became after the end of the main storyline is not applicable because it's pure speculation.

I know. But if he did become one of the top aurors, I'd say he can.

#36 Posted by MetalJimmor (2138 posts) - - Show Bio

@princearagorn1:

Sure it can. But I don't recall aang chucking huge boulders around? And why won't harry defend and attack at once again?

The very first time Aang earthbended he lifted a rock roughly the same height as his body and just as wide and projected it several yards.

I know. But if he did become one of the top aurors, I'd say he can.

You can't assume he can do certain things that he never did in the books. If we do that I could say Aang as an adult should have mastered bloodbending, given he's the avatar and married Katara who knew the technique. I could also say Aang is capable of lightning bending to the same degree as Ozai was, and his lightning was shattering solid stone as he casually shot it every few seconds. I don't think Harry's protego would be sufficient against that. Why not go further and say Aang can replicate Bumi's Earthbending feats, the guy who was using stone houses as projectiles when he took back his city and casually threw iron tanks around with earth pillars. Or give the newly adult Aang his son's feats, in which case he can use his airbending with enough force to propel a giant, 20 foot tall metal mech hundreds of feet into the air.

Aang is the avatar after all, he is the strongest bender by default and capable of using all four elements on the fly. As an adult he'd have many more years to train and grow stronger than what we saw in the show.

#37 Edited by PrinceAragorn1 (25152 posts) - - Show Bio

@metaljimmor:

The very first time Aang earthbended he lifted a rock roughly the same height as his body and just as wide and projected it several yards.

Hm. I will have to see the instance again to see if it can break through. Apparently you can use it in the official games to block blows from giants, but I haven't played them myself. But it is as you say, we don't have any feats for blocking objects. It's more on opinion..

You can't assume he can do certain things that he never did in the books. If we do that I could say Aang as an adult should have mastered bloodbending, given he's the avatar and married Katara who knew the technique. I could also say Aang is capable of lightning bending to the same degree as Ozai was, and his lightning was shattering solid stone as he casually shot it every few seconds. I don't think Harry's protego would be sufficient against that. Why not go further and say Aang can replicate Bumi's Earthbending feats, the guy who was using stone houses as projectiles when he took back his city and casually threw iron tanks around with earth pillars. Or give the newly adult Aang his son's feats, in which case he can use his airbending with enough force to propel a giant, 20 foot tall metal mech hundreds of feet into the air.

The difference is, Harry was just a student when he left school. He went through years of auror training afterwards. Aang, on the other hand, had already 'mastered' all four elements as a kid.

Plus, harry already knows teleportion. He is just not experienced enough with it to use in combat.

#38 Posted by RBT (5937 posts) - - Show Bio

Protego! followed by a couple of Stufiy!. Game over for Aang.

#39 Posted by MetalJimmor (2138 posts) - - Show Bio

@princearagorn1:

Aang was a 12-13 year old at the end of the series, and thanks to the flashbacks in Legend of Korra we see he did improve in his abilities when he grew into an adult. We also see the older, more mature masters blatantly out perform him in their respective elements due to his lack of experience. It's the same logic you're using. Aang as an adult should be much stronger than what we saw of him as a child.

For the sake of debate we have to limit them to their child incarnations, because there's no proof of what they can do as adults. It'd all be pure speculation.

#40 Posted by Kingjohnrocks (2260 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi, how are you all doing?

This is just like Voldemort and Snape vs Ozai and Azula.

It's too simple.

Harry has a much more percise and divisive arsenal than Aang in this case. He has many charms that he can use that will one-hit him. Like the snail-throwing up curse, confringo, shield charms, etc. It is not like Aang to just speedblitz. If anything, it is demonstrated MULTIPLE times that he normally talks to his combatants before fighting them (Ozai, Bumi, Zuko, etc.) which gives Harry more then enough time to disable him with a curse and then finish him off.

@princearagorn1 We both know what Harry can do, are you seriously telling me that Harry loses this one?

#41 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (25152 posts) - - Show Bio

@metaljimmor:

Aang was a 12-13 year old at the end of the series, and thanks to the flashbacks in Legend of Korra we see he did improve in his abilities when he grew into an adult. We also see the older, more mature masters blatantly out perform him in their respective elements due to his lack of experience. It's the same logic you're using. Aang as an adult should be much stronger than what we saw of him as a child.

I don't recall any more mature masters outperform aang -after- he had mastered the four elements tbh. Even his airbending was strong enough to cancel out ozai's amped firebending at the time..

For the sake of debate we have to limit them to their child incarnations, because there's no proof of what they can do as adults. It'd all be pure speculation.

I wasn't necessarily talking about the thread for the teleportion part.

#42 Edited by PrinceAragorn1 (25152 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi, how are you all doing?

This is just like Voldemort and Snape vs Ozai and Azula.

It's too simple.

Harry has a much more percise and divisive arsenal than Aang in this case. He has many charms that he can use that will one-hit him. Like the snail-throwing up curse, confringo, shield charms, etc. It is not like Aang to just speedblitz. If anything, it is demonstrated MULTIPLE times that he normally talks to his combatants before fighting them (Ozai, Bumi, Zuko, etc.) which gives Harry more then enough time to disable him with a curse and then finish him off.

@princearagorn1 We both know what Harry can do, are you seriously telling me that Harry loses this one?

problem is, harry isn't voldemort.. He doesn't have feats of using advanced wizardry like him. Aang is extremely mobile, considering he can dodge arrows fired by many people simultaneously (and those guys could incapacitate, not kill, a person from 100+ feet away easily), plus by EOS he has extremely wide AOE.

Still, if you noticed, I'm presenting a case for Harry here, not aang.

#43 Posted by MetalJimmor (2138 posts) - - Show Bio

@princearagorn1: @kingjohnrocks:

It is not like Aang to just speedblitz. If anything, it is demonstrated MULTIPLE times that he normally talks to his combatants before fighting them (Ozai, Bumi, Zuko, etc.) which gives Harry more then enough time to disable him with a curse and then finish him off.

Harry isn't a straight up cold hearted killer either. If Aang walked up wanting to talk like you're suggesting, harry definitely wouldn't just straight up murder him.

The fight would end with them talking things out and becoming friends.

I don't recall any more mature masters outperform aang -after- he had mastered the four elements tbh. Even his airbending was strong enough to cancel out ozai's amped firebending at the time..

You actually just reminded me. During the fight against Ozai Aang was able to Earthbend two giant, mountainous pillars at once and was able to use one as a projectile. He also broke the tops off the mountain pillars and shot them a few hundred feet off with enough force to take down the war zepplin Ozai was on. I don't think Harry can deal with that.

#44 Posted by TheTruthIII (972 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetruthiii:

I just wanted to address this. Voldermort. He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named was an opponent Harry couldn't take down with a well placed jinx. We even see Dumbledore and Voldermort animating statues and conjuring flaming serpents against each other in their duel, indicating a much higher level of combat than Harry ever displayed. If Harry was skilled enough to fight the way they did I'm sure he'd have done it during any of his encounters against Voldermort.

At any rate, pleasure discussing this with you. Have a good day!

I just have to respond to this, lol; Harry never actually dueled with Voldemort, the most he's done is either running away with his tail between his legs or just using one disarming spell. Neither of those encounters lasted more than a couple seconds, and most certainly didn't require hexing objects.

Also, I looked up the Astronomy Tower battle. After Dumbledore dies, Harry does indeed stun a couple Death Eaters. However, that is because he manages to sneak up and immobilize them without them even noticing. The first Death Eater he actually dueled face-to-face with was Snape, who proceeded to crush him with the upmost ease.

Good debating with you :)