A question regarding the structure of battles...

Ebony Bishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Ebony Bishop

This is just so I don't clutter up this awesome thread: http://www.comicvine.com/message/the-kill-iceman-forum/13946/&139

I'm curious as to what people are thinking when they suggest these battles. When people say, "Superman vs. Captain Ultra" and leave it at that. Reading the postulations, it leads me to question.

No one really points out certain criteria. Where it happens is enormously important. There is no Kryptonite in Marvel 616 continuity. Superman wins. However, do you count past history? If so, Radioactive Man (from Marvel) could kill Superman in seconds, because he was provided the exact radiation wavelength of Kryptonite.

And if continuity is important, is EVERY comic book considered in continuity? In the above Iceman thread, there are examples in the latest Mike Carey X-Men showing limitations on Iceman that don't exist. But he's the writer, and although he provides no rationale, it's considered canon.

If a bad writer contributes something to a character (like Guggenheim in Wolverine) that we KNOW is crap, does that mean it should or shouldn't count in a Battle Forum question?

Does a character's "character" count? Citing a "battle to the death" with Batman is ludicrous, as Batman doesn't kill. Yeah, we can postulate about "yeah, but what if" but it doesn't change reality. As above, Superman could kill, but doesn't. So he loses every fight to the death.

I think the logical debate about which fictional character can kick which fictional character's ass is a noble and proud tradition that should be continued, but I was bored, and amused, and wanted to take this opportunity to think a little deeper about these theoretical smackdowns we debate day in and day out here in the Battle Forums.

And God Bless You, creators of Comicvine, for providing us this distraction. I'm supposed to be preparing a budget.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Some battles go into great detail, as to were and what the surrondings are, and good,or bad writting, it all counts towards the debate. We all know Superman doesnt kill, but if someone puts him in a battle to the death, it go's without saying, that he is trying to kill his opponent.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Post Deleted.

GL Bertron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GL Bertron

Most battles assume the battle to be a to the death battle where you have to kill or be killed. All combatants are either going to die or will live and move on. It's like a what if kind of deal. So it should be more like "What if Superman fought Captain Ultra to the death?" things like popularity and what the writers would do go out the window and you as the fan get to post how you feel the fight would go based off the knowledge that you have about that character's abilities and strengths and weaknesses

Ebony Bishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ebony Bishop

So, basically, anyone with a power SHOULD be able to kill Batman. Since I doubt Bruce gets a letter sent to him two-weeks in advance, to allow him prep-time.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#6  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

When just names are given, I generally go for who could stop the other in such a way so that they couldn't pose a threat, so usually "to the death". And for characters who won't kill, I might (I remember doing this with Human Torch vs Sue Storm) say who would win were they acting in character, but I usually assume that for some reason, they'd kill in that fight. If prep is specified (like Batman) I consider it, but if it's just names, I don't include it. Sometimes I give more than one approach. In the Torch vs Spiderman, I said at least 3 ways the fight could play out. To the death, not to the death, and depending on starting distance. I usually don't include the character of the...characters when just names are given, but that does make a difference.

GL Bertron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GL Bertron

If the post is vague then you can say that he preped, but if they post that he has no prep time, then it's all seat of the pants his chances drop a lot. If you post that Batman has known that Superman was coming to Gotham and he was planing on killing him because Superman is a dick, then Batman would know what he needed to do and would win. Also Batman does carry a lot of items on his belt that can be helpful against most people.

Darkeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Darkeden
Avatar image for gremlin_from_kremlin
Gremlin From Kremlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Darkeden said:
Seriously? Why would you bump it?
(((Prodigy)))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By (((Prodigy)))
@Gremlin From Kremlin said:
@Darkeden said:
Seriously? Why would you bump it?
Probably because 90% of the users here really need to read it.