• 58 results
sandw1tch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sandw1tch

300 Spartans are holding Helms Deep lead by Leonidas.

1000 Uruk-Hai lead by Lurtz with 10 berzerbers (5 bombs) try to breach the gates and kill Leonidas and his men.

Who will win and why?

darkelf35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By darkelf35

Spartans take this one with around 150 survivors. They are better trained and have better leadership.

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Alyssabird

@darkelf35 said:

Spartans take this one with around 150 survivors. They are better trained and have better leadership.

I'd say with the advantage, the spartans take this effortlessly. If an army of a million men couldn't touch them on the terrain their best on fighting on, how could 1000 uruk hai?

darkelf35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By darkelf35

UrukHai are much stronger than the average Persian tho

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Alyssabird

@darkelf35 said:

UrukHai are much stronger than the average Persian tho

For every 1 ork, there would be 1000 soldiers. Are you kidding me...

darkelf35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By darkelf35

The Spartans didn't defeat an army of one million Persians they held an area where they had a strategic advantage. They held with a total of 7000 men out of those there were 300 Spartans They held the Pass for approximately 7 days against an army of Persians somewhere around 100,000-300,000. They had better Equipment better training and a strategic advantage. Its quite a feat yes, but you are too stupid to understand that I was saying the Spartans would win, while pointing out that Urukai are a better match for Spartans than Persians.

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Alyssabird

@darkelf35 said:

The Spartans didn't defeat an army of one million Persians they held an area where they had a strategic advantage. They held with a total of 7000 men out of those there were 300 Spartans They held the Pass for approximately 7 days against an army of Persians somewhere around 100,000-300,000. They had better Equipment better training and a strategic advantage. Its quite a feat yes, but you are too stupid to understand that I was saying the Spartans would win, while pointing out that Urukai are a better match for Spartans than Persians.

We all know the story, we're going by the thread and movie feats; seeing as how that's what its based on; move on.

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dredeuced

@darkelf35 said:

I think he's comparing the movie versions of each.

Movie/Comic Spartans crush.

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Alyssabird

@Dredeuced said:

@darkelf35 said:

I think he's comparing the movie versions of each.

Movie/Comic Spartans crush.

It's inevitable regardless. Sorry, I have a tendency to be a bitch.

Bane_of_sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bane_of_sith

Spartans win,,handily,,Urukai are strong but lack true skill,,there more fodder than fighters

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Alyssabird

@Bane_of_sith said:

Spartans win,,handily,,Urukai are strong but lack true skill,,there more fodder than fighters

More brawlers than fighters.

sandw1tch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sandw1tch

But what would it take to bring down an Uruk-hai? a hit with a spear won't do it, and especially as they are bloodlusted

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Alyssabird

@sandw1tch said:

But what would it take to bring down an Uruk-hai? a hit with a spear won't do it, and especially as they are bloodlusted

One man with a sword; as seen on! and compare it to the above; u do the math. I hate fan boys.

Bane_of_sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bane_of_sith

Most Urukai were dropping like flies though,,not everyone could go like he did. They were pretty amped up before helms deep yet one arrow dropped the first soldier easily.

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Alyssabird

@Bane_of_sith said:

Most Urukai were dropping like flies though,,not everyone could go like he did. They were pretty amped up before helms deep yet one arrow dropped the first soldier easily.

Why over power your enemy with talent when you can overpower the arrows with bodies? Lol regardless, 1000 of these orks don't stand a chance again the spartans. Make it 300,000 with terrain on the spartans side with nightly breaks and they may have a chance. Also, I realize they aren't orcs. I'm to drunk to care.

Militaris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Militaris

Helms Deep is one of the strongest forts in middle earth, it gives the Spartans a massive advantage. They would even win on the open field....

The Orcs do have iron armour and weapons, which would be superior to the bronze weapons and light amours used by the Spartans. The Orcs, especially the ones in the Movies were very heavily armored. The Spartans bronze weapons would struggle to hurt the wearers. They would need to aim for the weaker spots which would slow down their killing sprees.

I think on the open field, the Orcs might take them if they used strategy. First the Orcs would use their archers to force the Spartans to form a shield wall. While the arrows are still falling the 10 bomb carriers would charge the line and explode. That would take a decent toll on the Spartans ranks and probably stun / confuse many. Moments later the main Orc force would attack in a brutal brawl. I still think the Spartans would win, but their loses would be substantial.

@darkelf35 said:

After the battle, according to Greek historians there was around 4000 dead Greeks, and 20,000 dead Persians. The Greeks did much better at the battle of Marathon, where 11,000 hoplites mainly from Athens defeated a comparable Persian army and only lost two hundred soldiers while the Persians lost 6400. So the Athenians at Marathon achieved a much better feat but the 300 Spartans which lead the force at Thermopylae get all of the frame.

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Alyssabird

@Militaris said:

Helms Deep is one of the strongest forts in middle earth, it gives the Spartans a massive advantage. They would even win on the open field....

The Orcs do have iron armour and weapons, which would be superior to the bronze weapons and light amours used by the Spartans. The Orcs, especially the ones in the Movies were very heavily armored. The Spartans bronze weapons would struggle to hurt the wearers. They would need to aim for the weaker spots which would slow down their killing sprees.

I think on the open field, the Orcs might take them if they used strategy. First the Orcs would use their archers to force the Spartans to form a shield wall. While the arrows are still falling the 10 bomb carriers would charge the line and explode. That would take a decent toll on the Spartans ranks and probably stun / confuse many. Moments later the main Orc force would attack in a brutal brawl. I still think the Spartans would win, but their loses would be substantial.

@darkelf35 said:

After the battle, according to Greek historians there was around 4000 dead Greeks, and 20,000 dead Persians. The Greeks did much better at the battle of Marathon, where 11,000 hoplites mainly from Athens defeated a comparable Persian army and only lost two hundred soldiers while the Persians lost 6400. So the Athenians at Marathon achieved a much better feat but the 300 Spartans which lead the force at Thermopylae get all of the frame.

This isn't a cannon debate. Your a damn *#*($$ Also, everything you said was wrong.

Bo88gdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bo88gdan

Sparatans would win

Militaris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Militaris

@Alyssabird: @Alyssabird said:

This isn't a cannon debate. Your a damn *#*($$ Also, everything you said was wrong.

I assume English is not your first language because you used "wrong" incorrectly. The definition of wrong is "Not correct or true". The word you meant to use was "Correct" which would mean everything I said was right.

For example.

Helm’s Deep is one of the strongest forts. (correct)

Being based in a strong fort does give the Spartans a massive advantage. (correct)

The Orcs did have iron amour and weapons (correct)

Iron amour and weapons are superior to bronze (correct)

The Spartans did use light amour (Bronze cuirasses, leg greaves, and a helmet) (again I am correct)

The spatans did use bronze weapons (Bronze tipped Spears, javelins and xiphos) (again I am correct)

The Orcs in the movies did wear heavy Iron amour (again I am correct)

I am bored of this, but in case you are wondering. Everything I wrote above was right and none of it was wrong :)

e3zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By e3zombie

@Alyssabird: I see what you did there.

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Alyssabird

@Militaris said:

@Alyssabird: @Alyssabird said:

I assume English is not your first language because you used "wrong" incorrectly. The definition of wrong is "Not correct or true". The word you meant to use was "Correct" which would mean everything I said was right.

For example.

Helm’s Deep is one of the strongest forts. (correct)

Being based in a strong fort does give the Spartans a massive advantage. (correct)

The Orcs did have iron amour and weapons (correct)

Iron amour and weapons are superior to bronze (correct)

The Spartans did use light amour (Bronze cuirasses, leg greaves, and a helmet) (again I am correct)

The spatans did use bronze weapons (Bronze tipped Spears, javelins and xiphos) (again I am correct)

The Orcs in the movies did wear heavy Iron amour (again I am correct)

I am bored of this, but in case you are wondering. Everything I wrote above was right and none of it was wrong :)

You are being overly logical and completely taking this to seriously; if it were of importance to anyone, I would take you a ride through middle earth and through the Persian Era. You my friend, are not worth the time, please check the site that you are currently on.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Xanni15

Uruk's slaughter.

Vrakmul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vrakmul

Book or Movie? Book Uruk-hai wore chain mail with a breastplate and helmet and were only the equal of men. Movie Uruk-hai had full plate armor and were the superior of men, they just had the misfortune of trying to out-cavalry the masters of horsemanship in middle earth, trying to assault a very well defended fortress and then have to defend against a downhill cavalry charge while blinded, and then got eaten by a forest of sentient trees.

Mordor Uruks are supposedly stronger than Isengard's copies, but we don't see much of them in either the books or the movies. They're just said to be bigger and badder.

Now the Uruk-hai of Isengard were equipped to deal with Cavalry, this is evident in their usage of long pikes and crossbows; an early form of the Pikeshot tactic that was the real reason why Knights declined (not gunpowder as many believe) and that their cavalry; the warg riders are more a cavalry killing unit than heavy cavalry given their relative lack of armor, the reliant on their mount's viciousness to carry the day, and their relatively lackluster equipment.

However, their tactics would still be formadible against an infantry based force, the Pikeline is a descendant of the Macedonian Phalanx that defeated and supplanted the Hoplite Phalanx. The Macedonian Phalanx also enjoyed great success against virtually any other infantry force it met with the single exception of the Roman Legion whose superior flexibility allowed them to overcome a force that celtic Barbarians, Greek Hoplites, and Persia's Cavalry and Light Infantry reliant force could not, but that's neither here nor there.

The Macedonian Phalanx could defeat a Hoplite Phalanx even without the usual cavalry and archer support the Macedonian Phalanx enjoyed over it's greek counterpart primarily for one reason; Spear-length. I'm not kidding, that's pretty much it. Hoplites like the Spartans had more armor and bigger shields, but they simply couldn't get close enough to actually do any damage because the Phalangite's pike was simply much longer. Now rendered impotent, the Phalangites would proceed to slaughter the Hoplites with very light casualties, all because their sharpened stick was bigger than the other guy's sharpened stick.

The Pike-shot the Uruk-hai seemed to rely on ditches the small strap-on shield the Phalangites used, but the Uruk-hai wore heavier armor in either case than the soldiers of Macedon would. Addittionally, the Uruk-hai had the advantage of superior and more standardized forging techniques.

Given that the Spartan model of combat was defeated by a less well equipped model than the Uruk-hai used, the White Hand of Saruman should stomp with minimal difficulty.

spiderpool94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By spiderpool94

I'd need to know more about how this fight takes place. What world are they fighting on?

Militaris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Militaris

@Vrakmul said:

Given that the Spartan model of combat was defeated by a less well equipped model than the Uruk-hai used, the White Hand of Saruman should stomp with minimal difficulty.

While I agree with your comments on equipment, the movie versions of Sarumans Uruk-Hai were made sometime between the capture of Gandalf and the battle. They only had a few months training and experience at best. They were unlikely to have fought many battles before taking on Rohan at the fords. Compared to the average Spartan warrior which has been training since birth, and most of them were at their prime (movie/comic). Yes they were technological inferior but they were hardened and well trained so I think they would be able to overcome the Uruk-Hai after a grueling battle.

Avatar image for sergeant_arch_dornan
Sergeant Arch Dornan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Militaris said:

@Vrakmul said:

While I agree with your comments on equipment, the movie versions of Sarumans Uruk-Hai were made sometime between the capture of Gandalf and the battle. They only had a few months training and experience at best. They were unlikely to have fought many battles before taking on Rohan at the fords. Compared to the average Spartan warrior which has been training since birth, and most of them were at their prime (movie/comic). Yes they were technological inferior but they were hardened and well trained so I think they would be able to overcome the Uruk-Hai after a grueling battle.

The Macedonians crushed the Hoplites every time regardless of training because the Hoplites couldn't touch them due to them having bigger pointy sticks. The Uruk-hai havve long pikes far lengthier than the Spartan's spears, so once again, the pike phalanx crushes the spear phalanx with ease.

Militaris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Militaris

@Sergeant Arch Dornan said:

The Macedonians crushed the Hoplites every time regardless of training because the Hoplites couldn't touch them due to them having bigger pointy sticks. The Uruk-hai havve long pikes far lengthier than the Spartan's spears, so once again, the pike phalanx crushes the spear phalanx with ease.

The Spartans are holding Helms Deep, the Uruk-Hai would not be able to take their long pikes over the walls. This would be Orc Swords vs xiphos, not a battle between spears.

Avatar image for xaraghoul_the_ravager
Xaraghoul_the_Ravager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Militaris said:

The Spartans are holding Helms Deep, the Uruk-Hai would not be able to take their long pikes over the walls. This would be Orc Swords vs xiphos, not a battle between spears.

In a battle of long vs short sword, it all depends on how much room there is to maneuver. In short, confined spaces, like those the Romans liked to make; the short sword stomps, in an open battlefield with plenty of wiggle room, the long sword will cause mass butchery. However, the differences in armor will be a factor. The Spartans will have to work around the Uruk-hai's armor to a greater extent than the Uruks do for the humans as the Spartans exposed the upper arms, though this part of the body isn't as vulnerable to bleed out as most of the rest of our squishy, squishy frames.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By OmgOmgWtfWtf

Uruk-hai win easily. 300 Spartans in Helms Deep wouldn't help because they used absolutely no ranged weapons in their comic or movie appearances. Throwing their spear would effectively mean losing it and is very short range. The Uruk-hai had crossbows which would penetrate the bronze shields of the Spartans. Not to mention their phalanx would be ineffective versus a large force with much longer spears (just think Macedonians versus Spartans, they had larger numbers and better equipment). One bomb would make short work of the wall, with the remaining 4 being useful as a way to break Spartan formation (which tend to be very closely knit due to phalanx). I don't think Berserkers would be of much use (I don't think their swords would be able to break a Spartan's shield), but they can be used as suicide bombers and be useful after formations are broken.

Rage_Hard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Rage_Hard

Spartans destroy via slow motion combat scenes.

Alchemax_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By Alchemax_7

They have a vigorous interpretative dance off that lasts for 16 hours. When finally both the Spartans and the Uruk-hai pass out from exhaustion.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bigcimmerian

Spartans would slice Uruks into pieces.

Frocharocha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Frocharocha

@Militaris said:

@Vrakmul said:

That doesn't matter much. A single Uruk-hai almost killed Aragorn and beat Boromir with ease. You can see in the first movie how strong they are. A single Uruk-hai is probably going to kill 3-5 spartans if they use horde tactics.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dextersinister

@Frocharocha said:

@Militaris said:

@Vrakmul said:

That doesn't matter much. A single Uruk-hai almost killed Aragorn and beat Boromir with ease. You can see in the first movie how strong they are. A single Uruk-hai is probably going to kill 3-5 spartans if they use horde tactics.

Actually there was an article on how ineffective they where and your using the leaders feats as if that's a typical example of the race, your typical Uruk-Hai was no better than cannon fodder and died in droves only ever accomplishing anything with there sheer numbers which they don't have in this set-up.

Even if this was on an open battlefield the Spartans stomp as each one was close to main character levels of effectiveness and with the advantage they have at the Deep the Uruk-Hai won't kill a single Spartan as the bombers take a spears to the face.

Sergeant Arch Dornan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dextersinister said:

@Frocharocha said:

@Militaris said:

@Vrakmul said:

Actually there was an article on how ineffective they where and your using the leaders feats as if that's a typical example of the race, your typical Uruk-Hai was no better than cannon fodder and died in droves only ever accomplishing anything with there sheer numbers which they don't have in this set-up.

Even if this was on an open battlefield the Spartans stomp as each one was close to main character levels of effectiveness and with the advantage they have at the Deep the Uruk-Hai won't kill a single Spartan as the bombers take a spears to the face.

In an open battlefield, the Uruk-hai would stomp the Spartans for the simple fact that a pikeline always beats a spearline with absolute ease.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dextersinister

@Dextersinister said:

@Frocharocha said:

@Militaris said:

@Vrakmul said:

In an open battlefield, the Uruk-hai would stomp the Spartans for the simple fact that a pikeline always beats a spearline with absolute ease.

Against a normal army but this is the movie 300 who where unnaturally skilled and agile that and they also switched to swords occasionally, where did they keep these swords? better not to think about it.

Sergeant Arch Dornan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dextersinister said:

@Dextersinister said:

@Frocharocha said:

@Militaris said:

@Vrakmul said:

Against a normal army but this is the movie 300 who where unnaturally skilled and agile that and they also switched to swords occasionally, where did they keep these swords? better not to think about it.

The movie 300 didn't even fight in formation.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Dextersinister

@Sergeant Arch Dornan: They where all to busy being individually bad ass but this problem can be attributed to both movies if not all with a fictional battle because after the initial clash formation fighting doesn't look cool.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bigcimmerian

@Frocharocha said:

@Militaris said:

@Vrakmul said:

You are kidding right? You have Uruks more skilled and stronger then the rest which is Lurtz, and he is their leader. Average Uruk hai is like very strong man. Gimli and Legolas killed exactly 45 of them. One Spartan could kill 5-10 uruks.

ComocYahweh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ComocYahweh

The spartans are easily the superior army skill wise, however I'm not sure how they would overcome the tech advantage of the Uruk Hai, their heavy armor is far to durable to be pierced by spartan spears, they have a few weakspots, but they would be much harder to kill than anything the spartans faced in 300.

afueikawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By afueikawa

@ComocYahweh:

Yeah, the Uruk Hai's armor got pierced by a peasant's arrow (Movie version), lol.

Some of them got owned by a kid just throwing stone on the armored Uruk-Hai's head, another lol on that.

Spartan's win this with strategy, training, guts, advantage in position, their speed since they do not carry too much heavy armors.

Hksaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hksaru

300 Rohirrim could hold Helm's Deep with ease from 1000 Uruk-hai

mismatch

kameo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kameo

Spartans stomp if it's movie versions.

KingOfAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By KingOfAsh

Sorry to intervene, but I'm pretty sure the Spartans don't exactly protect from sieges in castles and are more focused on attacking in phalenxes on the ground.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ShootingNova

Helm's Deep gives the Spartans an advantage that leads to an undeniable victory.

ascenscion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ascenscion

Hahaha oh my god the fact people are alluding to Spartans winning is hilarious. Even imagining these are the uber-killing machines of the films, and not real-life, they'd get demolished.

Saruman's Uruk-hai are not only more physically powerful and enduring than men, they are also far more resilient and inherently bred with an aggression that favours an offensive battle style; they are bred with knowledge of war and fighting in their blood. The Spartans are better trained, but even holding Helm's Deep, it's unlikely they could take more than 100 Uruks out using ranged atack; after that, Beserkers cut a line through the defending outer perimiter and the Uruks swarm and destroy. Bear in mind their defeat at Helm's Deep in the books was quite PIS, to be honest, it's unlikely that fighting Uruk-hai would lose to men even as well-trained and equipped as Spartans, especially at numbers of such disparity.

zandor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By zandor

@ascenscion: were using film version.

spiderpool94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By spiderpool94

I'm not sure Spartans have the apparatus to defend the fort they'd need better artillery. In the film they only used throwing spears occasionally. They can't defend Helms Deep like that.

hulkbuster94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If lurtz is leading the Uruk Hai then they stomp leonidas in the comic and movie was fighting mostly again'st people who are slaves most of the cannon fodder i know alot of his feats and i like them but he struggled agains't the giant immortal who was slow compared to the run of the mill uruk hai also have better overall stats in terms of strength speed pain intolerance lurtz had to be decapitated to bring him down.

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First of all orcs are always bloodlusted. It's just an Orc thing. Second I think 5000 is better minus the explosives.

There were less than a thousand defenders of helms deep against 10000 Uruk hai for a while in The Lord of the rings. So I think the 300 will be able to do well against 1000