Has the World's Finest Team-Up Had the World's Worst Break-Up?

undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

It was clear from the word go that depowering Superman to the extent that DC has would have larger implications and consequences, but it's unlikely that anyone thought it'd be the ability to finally get properly kicked around by Batman. It wouldn't have come up with the previous holder of the mantle, but the Batman has brought with him some new baggage and isn't terribly fond of Clark Kent's ongoing shenanigans. At least that's how Jim Gordon, the man under the helmet, views them, even if these particular shenanigans are saving the city and the world time and again. There will be spoilers APLENTY for BATMAN/SUPERMAN #22.

No Caption Provided

This issue's an interesting trip into a Batman completely unaccustomed to Superman's world, and he may wind up paying the consequences for that lack of familiarity. Particularly when a giant, underground barbarian with a grudge and an ax to grind shows up to hold Supes accountable for his past actions. Despite his reputation as a punch first, as questions later-type, Superman has a tendency toward being reasonable and diplomatic when the situation calls for it.

No Caption Provided

Batman, however...has a different view of these things. As a Gotham cop who's never been on the Justice League, ideas like this are likely not in his wheelhouse. This creates a different dynamic between these two characters as previously it was Batman's view of Earth as an Earthling that came into conflict with the outsider's view Superman brought, often to his own detriment. This creates a completely different dynamic where Supes is the one with experience who knows the score, while Gordon is flailing as an outsider, creating situations like this one. While Superman tries to play diplomat, and actually succeeds at it, Gordon takes...another tactic.

Is Gordon's middle name
Is Gordon's middle name "Jenkins"? We may never know.

It was an important step to ensure that things weren't going to remain in the status quo with this book, especially with such a massive shake-up. This is a great way to do that without completely sacrificing the dynamic that makes these two such great partners, and I'm honestly impressed with how well it's already working AND with how well it slots into each others' characters without any cognitive dissonance on the part of the characters.

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

From what I've read, it seems like Gordon's acting like a d!ck, and that last image proves it IMO. (Nice caption anyways, DC could add Jenkins into his middle name XD)

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Meh, im not really feeling B/S.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last week seemed too focused on appealing to Batman fans, this week..too much appealing to P52 Superman fans.

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was pretty cool,it just showed me that Superman and Batman while they were two different people from different lives,they were able to work together as teammates and friends,but when you have this stranger taken on your friends name,or job yea you can try to stand them just to get it done,but you will butt heads with them because if you are in a group and you know the people for a while you get how they act,or do things,and since this Batman is so different ,Superman is probably having issues adjusting,and also all the stuff going on in his life right now and stuff that has happened both emotionally and physically,just probably taking its toll on him,and he is acting irrationally,but we shall see,i'm really digging this and Action Comics so far!

worldFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never liked Gordan, always felt he was a character that you had to walk like you were on egg shells with him.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sort of reminds me of Superior Spider-Man only with a different twist. What happens when a good cop tries to act like Batman but isn't Batman?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Gordan is definitely on a power trip.

totoroshaped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

So... this was kinda good but I don't like Gordon being RoboBatman, I dunno. I hope Bruce comes back.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By Zeeguy91

Does this

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

Gordan is definitely on a power trip.

Pretty much.

Pretty soon he'll be moving into Wayne manner with his own Alfred, and god help them if he gets his hands on one of those kids from We Are Robin.

...Phrasing.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sooooo....... 5 Stars? What?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Meh, im not really feeling B/S.

...and I was so waiting for the return of the Subterrenians.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Squalleon

Gordon's characterization in B/S is awful.

I personally wasn't excited about Robobat(didn't hate it), but Gordon made it worth it. Snyder hasn't written as an interesting story since Owls.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since when is James Gordon and Superman the Worlds Finest? James Gordon is acting terribly right now, and it makes no sense. He is nothing like Batman.

And yeah what happened to the reviews? Random articles are good but on Wednesday we expect reviews

Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm enjoying TRUTH but this issue here? The dialogue was astoundingly poorly written. Jarringly bad..

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Superguy1591

@squalleon: Plus, Superman got Baka back to fight with him in Doomed and Baka didn't seem concerned with what happened or is happening.

I dunno, I think Pak is stretched then trying to write two Superman stories.

I think he should give up B/S and write a Batman book with Action. I havent loved his B/S since he first started it.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hit_monkey: I agree; I've been enjoying Pak's Action Comics, but this just seemed forced.

I haven't been reading Batman, but Batman came across as just unreasonable and overly difficult. And Superman came off as too saintly, something that's not canon for the N52 Superman.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Plus, Superman got Baka back to fight with him in Doomed and Baka didn't seem concerned with what happened or is happening.

I dunno, I think Pak is stretched then trying to write two Superman stories.

I think he should give up B/S and write a Batman book with Action. I havent loved his B/S since he first started it.

Pak is stretched anyway since he writes all the time around 4-5 books (personal projects, valiant, his upcoming Hulk,Storm, Superman). But he needs to make money so...

I think his B/S is BS. So yes, if it means he will give more time to his Action sure, drop B/S.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I've got no one I want to take over, do you have a hopeful?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I've got no one I want to take over, do you have a hopeful?

Not really. I don't really feel the need of a B/S book in the first place :P Maybe Snyder might have done a good job with them since in Unchained he seems to get their interactions.
Other than that...I don't know, DC has alienated most of the writers I know or I would in that role.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: no thanks to Snyder.

Told you. But other than him who knows? You have anyone in mind?

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This shake-up is sinking these titles faster than New 52 did to fan favorites. If they want to make characters disliked as hell...well they succeeded with these moves. Heck , by this point I see Gordon more of a wanna-be Batman villain than a cop and that is a huge disrespect.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

i love how they phrase it as "break-up"

No Caption Provided
Burnout1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like that supes is depowered, don't like the gobat(gordan batman) just eh the last 2 years their has been very little comics that been able to grab my interest with all the "new" titles I think a lot of the writers are so out of touch trying to be PC with everyone and it is ruining a ton of history with all these characters.

RexWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gordon seems like such a different person when he's in the suit and I'm not exactly loving it. I'm all for taking a break from Bruce being Batman and it's been interesting to see robo-bat interact with other DC characters, but I really do think Gordon could be written a little better. I get that Clark is being viewed as a vigilante as of late, but for Gordon to lose complete trust in The Man of Steel? That's a little out there.

Supes, however, has been written wonderfully since his power down in my opinion.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I just think Snyder's Superman is boring, you know that. Plus, I'm not interested in seeing him play Batman fan-boy with Superman.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burnout1212: Him being "unpowered" is overstated--he's not "unpowered" and useless. He's still a hero.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

i love how they phrase it as "break-up"

No Caption Provided

Until they broke up in Brokebat Mountain. =P

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

So, a new completely different Batman and all they can think of about changing the relationship is. Switch the positions. Good job...

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh I wasn't really to keen on Gordon this issue