undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

They did it. They finally went and did it. They tied together 50 issues and gave readers a mystery that built upon itself organically and using all the connective tissue they could muster. The BATMAN ETERNAL Crew of Scott Snyder, James Tynion IV, Tim Seeley, Ray Fawkes and Kyle Higgins took the Bat-Family across the world, underground and to the darkest reaches of Gotham’s bleak history in order to bring us to this point. Batman’s rogues were unleashed and even upgraded, necessitating some of the best and brightest teamwork seen from the ‘Family since Death of the Family caused a brief rift, and through it all the central strength of the storytelling has always been how consistent the characters have stayed and how organic it’s all felt. This tale began with a trainwreck and ends with a city aflame. The writers waste no time dropping Bats back into the action, and giving the readers a great notion of why he had to be taken off the board as he reasserts a degree of order with usual grim efficiency. They also show us some levity, thankfully, as we get Alfred and Julia cooperating (as well as a background shot of a bound Hush that evokes actual laughter, but not QUITE being on the same page. But then something happens and the tale twists as we, at long last, get the revelation we’ve been waiting for for entire story arcs: the true mastermind behind one of the most wildly convoluted (but never outright fabricated) plots in Batman’s illustrious history. And what a reveal it is.

Alvaro Martinez tackles pencils and does a phenomenal job showing how incredible Bats is, but also doing a great job communicating how utterly wiped out he is. There are lots of small things that show that he has reached the end of his rope, but can’t give up just yet. The writers should get some credit here as well for making his dialog clipped and curt, even by Batman’s already gruff standards, but the art REALLY sells just how much he’s been through and how much is still yet to come. Raul Fernandez's inks give the action a real sense of force and impact, which is important in a book with this many disjointed scenes, giving them a sense of coherency. June Chungcolors give the book a dark, shadowy tone that suddenly bursts into unrestrained life at the appropriate moment. The action is clear and easy to follow, but also exciting and incredibly satisfying.

The Bad

The brawl hinted at in last issue’s cliffhanger is resolved not just off-panel, but off-book. We open and the fight’s over before the first page has begun, and while it’s done artfully it is on the disappointing side that we didn’t get to see at least one knock-down, drag-out brawl.

The reveal of the main villain comes off more as a confirmation for anyone who’s read the last few issues, even though the actual reveal is tortuously dragged out. While it’s the fun kind of torturous, it seems odd that the creators tipped their hand earlier, then pretended the surprise was still intact.

The Verdict

This is still an enormously satisfying issue in a phenomenal run of a great story. This will likely read incredibly well in trade as the cohesion will be even more apparent, but this issue manages to keep ramping up both the stakes and the players. The series isn’t over yet, and this issue drives that point home with still another gloriously suspenseful cliffhanger.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gracetrack

So the big villain is Cluemaster?

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whaaaaait, what? o_O

EddieHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I should have seen that coming.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that is interesting.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I wasn't suprised at the reveal, I just forgot that he was in the book and just playing as a background character.

EddieHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Respect for Cluemaster increased a lot.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Saren

Red herring, unless the writers expect us to believe the mastermind of this great plot is someone who's been repeatedly outwitted by a teenage girl in this same series.

It makes zero sense if you think about it, given that it has no relevance to Riddler's koan riddle or Ra's hints.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I was the mastermind behind it all.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Pfft. Jason should've been Bane by himself.

Avatar image for stanthelibrarian
StanTheLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If he gets to be the mastermind behind it, I'll be quite disappointed actually.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I really hope it's a red herring. I'd hate for it to be otherwise.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Hopefully clue master dies after this epic. He is a watered down version of the riddler

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just glad it wasn't Owlman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless the guy who it was revealed to be suddenly becomes an actual great villain I am disappointed with this reveal and hope its not actually him. Hard to believe he could do all of this, and his crappiness as a villain is already well established, he has even shown incompetence in Batman Eternal. I'll wait to next issue to pass judgment but I'm not satisfied right now, and not seeing batman fight bane doesn't help.

Synack1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

We are still two issues away. I don't think we will see the big bad until the last panels of next week's issue. I think he's a lackey.

cr4zytr4in

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did I miss anything or was Penguin tied up by Gordon in the last issue?

cerial442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

I'm a bit disappointed over who the supposed main mastermind is. I knew it was going to be reveled in this issue. I excitedly read the issue, so nervous and ready to see what's been building up for 50 issues. Even Batman couldn't figure it out, and then.........disappointment. Of course it couldn't figure it out, it's a character that's been treated like a joke this whole series. I can't take him seriously, and that's because of the writers.

Not complaining, it's been a fun read, but it did not live up to the hype. I hope we get a "real" mastermind next week, but I don't want to get my hopes up more.

Kingthunder99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

loved this issue but is that clue master if so wow we need more things done like this for most Batman villains

Ruroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ruroken

When I got to the end all I could muster was a weak "him"? I was completely underwhelmed. But, like most people, I think he's a red herring. Personally, I hope it's Owlman from Earth 3. He did get away at the end of Forever Evil!

deathcamps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Unless the guy who it was revealed to be suddenly becomes an actual great villain I am disappointed with this reveal and hope its not actually him. Hard to believe he could do all of this, and his crappiness as a villain is already well established, he has even shown incompetence in Batman Eternal. I'll wait to next issue to pass judgment but I'm not satisfied right now, and not seeing batman fight bane doesn't help.

seconded

jackcryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked how the mastermind was Clue master, someone no one ever thought was important and was overshadowed by more dangerous villains so no one every thought it could be him.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cluemaster always looks like a G.I.Joe character :P

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren:

Agreed. I think it's just letting us think that it's him

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GokaiFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is no way that it is actually Cluemaster.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

If the writers actually mean this and that this is the great mastermind, then this would be a bigger letdown than Death of the Family. It makes zero sense.

Brione

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Brione

"The brawl hinted at in last issue’s cliffhanger is resolved not just off-panel, but off-book. We open and the fight’s over before the first page has begun, and while it’s done artfully it is on the disappointing side that we didn’t get to see at least one knock-down, drag-out brawl."

There is no fight/brawl to see. It's clear on the 1st page that Batman crashed his plane into Bane. I don't know how so many people missed that. I've seen 3 reviews where the reviewer missed it.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It needs to be Owlman. It's literally the only persom capable, IMO, of this level of manipulation.

cyanacheak07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers