inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Part of the problem with the weekly format is that storytelling works a bit differently compared to the month-to-month format. Stories can be a bit more drawn out at other aspects of the world can be explored because the story isn't stuck in this "has to be in a 6-issue format, so it can fit into a trade." BATMAN ETERNAL works well in this weekly format and each story takes its time to be told, rather than rushing ahead because of length restraints. Within this issue, the reader is treated to a story of Catwoman being passed around between villains, as well as a bit more about what's going on with Cluemaster. Both stories balance the overall issue out pretty well, and keep it moving.

Open this book up and the reader is treated to one awesome looking splash page from Riccardo Burchielli with colors from Dave McCaig. Artistically, this is a brilliant way to open up the issue. The facial expressions on both Catwoman and Falcone's faces are completely fitting for the situation, readers get to see just how Falcone got that scratch on his face, and McCaig's color work is amazing, especially with what he does with the background.

The final page of this issue leads the audience to believe that Falcone isn't the real enemy, but someone else may be pulling his strings. This is a fantastic addition to the story and really helps raise the bar for the overall book.

The Bad

Shadows tended to be a consistent problem throughout the issue, for the most part. There are numerous times where someone's shadow, over another character resulted in just a black mass blocking out the other character's face or body. Many books have shadows just darken the colors they encase. The black mass shadows here felt weird and out of place.

There was one thing about Burchielli's art that didn't sit well. The few pages that contained Bruce Wayne made it see as his eyes were always closed or he was squinting. At the same time, in the Jason Todd scene, which felt a tad pointless, Jason Todd looked very weird and unlike himself. If it weren't for Bruce flatout calling him "Jason" or "Red Hood," fans wouldn't know who this is.

This issue was overall just ok. It does stimulate the reader as much as the previous issues and there's only a few points within the issue that really matter. It's a real slow opening and there's a few moments that just don't feel like they fit in with the rest of the book.

The Verdict

BATMAN ETERNAL #9 wasn't bad but wasn't a home-run either. It's still a solid week-to-week book that you should give a shot, but this particular issue was a bit down the middle of the road. There is a lot of good in this issue. McCaig does some killer color work, the opening page looks amazing, and the fight scenes are a lot of fun, but overall, it just fails to grab the reader and there's a few problems within the art department. However, overall, I'll still give this a mild recommendation.

jdp180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I get the feeling this may lead to Steph becoming Batgirl once Barbara loses all her marbles considering what her family has been through.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Why do I have a feeling Joker is going to be behind a lot of this?

Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Think you posted this on the wrong issue.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Part of the problem with the weekly format is that storytelling works a bit differently compared to the month-to-month format. Stories can be a bit more drawn out at other aspects of the world can be explored because the story isn't stuck in this "has to be in a 6-issue format, so it can fit into a trade."

Hasn't this been the focus of "The Bad" in your other reviews?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#5 inferiorego  Staff

@fhiz said:

Think you posted this on the wrong issue.

Thanks... I keep losing track of what issue it is....

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I swear that last page. Either it ties in to Batman 34 or those are two different characters.

BruceWayne19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The reason that Jason Todd's part seemed pointless is because it was a setup for the next issue... Way to hard on this issue, but I agree that Bruce and Jason looked bad

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

This issue was just okay. I didn't really care for the art and I didn't much for the whole situation with Professor Pyg either. That's the real problem with this series when it comes to standalone issues, as some are just there to set up future events. I have a feeling that this series will read much better in a collected trade, instead of as standalone issues.

Avatar image for jjdajetplane223
jjdajetplane223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anyone notice that Bruce looked really small? He literally looked like the Michael Keaton version of Bruce Wayne. His arms looked really skinny, he looked short. Big contrast to how he looks as Batman, with the artists going with the enormous chest, arms, everything Batgod-like.

I wouldn't mind if they drew Batman as the ninja-Batman of the Denny O'Neil/Neil Adams days - but he looks more like the barrel chested Batman of the Arkham games in the story.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Wasn't a fan of the opening page. Anatomy, angles, movement etc. didn't feel right to me.

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this comic had better art, it would have been much better.

The art isn't bad, per se, but it really deviates from the normal representation of these characters. Not sure why the artist went that route because it did not pay off.

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the first issue of EternaI I was really disapointed with. I think mainly because I found the art just confusing. There's one page when Catwoman is meant to have a bloody nose and it looked like there was an accidental mark or printing error. Bruce just didn't look like Bruce at all.

I thought the art in Eternal so far was at it's best in the Batgirl issue but I can't recall who that was.

Will still continue to read it as I have been really enjoying it overall.

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hated the art this issue why was Bruce asian?

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slowly getting worse

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hated the art this issue why was Bruce asian?

In the name of diversity most likely. %)

Brione

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Brione

@scarletbatman said:

If this comic had better art, it would have been much better.

The art isn't bad, per se, but it really deviates from the normal representation of these characters. Not sure why the artist went that route because it did not pay off.

I feel the same way. Story is on point but the artist is way off. Bruce and Jason look nothing like they should look. I don't want to bash the guy, but I hope he never draws another Batman comic again.

Avatar image for i_dont_like_comics
i_dont_like_comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

catwoman's mere presence makes the issue suck a little. she is the bane of dc.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Maddpanda531

catwoman's mere presence makes the issue suck a little. she is the bane of dc.

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of someone else ;P

No Caption Provided

i_dont_like_comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maddpanda531: gee, didnt see that one coming a mile away. good one, guy.

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maddpanda531: gee, didnt see that one coming a mile away. good one, guy.

If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

Also, if jokes offend you, then don't set yourself up so easily.

i_dont_like_comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scarletbatman: well if it isnt the po po of the internet. get of the computer mary sue.

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scarletbatman: well if it isnt the po po of the internet. get of the computer mary sue.

I just read your username. Your schtick suddenly makes sense.

chayden13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was silly but last issue I was concerned with the current Batman continuity since Year One saw Catwoman scarring Falcone and as we know Zero Year is now Batman's first adventure as Batman. It was like Snyder and Tynion IV heard me with that first page.

Sporedust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sporedust

I wish they would hurry the hell up and bring Jason Fabok back!

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Why do I have a feeling Joker is going to be behind a lot of this?

I hope not. I don't want it to be the obvious villain. Give me a good plot twist and Ill be happy.

KASPERCOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far, this was the only issue of Batman Eternal I did not like. I did not like the art at all. And I felt like the story didn't progress much. Here's hoping next weeks issue will be a lot better.