gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

We're mid-way through the Mark of the Phantasm storyline. When BATMAN BEYOND 2.0 started, time had jumped forward a year. We saw Bruce and Terry at odds with each other. Something happened between the two of them and we had no idea what. This is where we jump back to find out what happened.

There's two sets of revelations going on here. The main one deals with who killed Terry's dad and was Batman aware of who it was? The second goes even further back. This is where Kyle Higgins and Alec Siegel are dancing around touchy areas. You might recall in the animated series there was mention of Bruce and Barbara Gordon having some sort of relationship. It always seemed weird but stranger things have happened in comics. But you only part of the story. Believe me, if you're not reading this storyline, you need to go back and purchase the digital chapters for 25 through this one. Things get pretty nuts.

We have two artists. If you know me, you know that usually really bothers me. Having two great artists helps. Having the different art split over the current story and flashback sequences makes it even better. Phil Hester captures the vibe of the current timeline when everything is being laid out. Craig Rousseau handles the flashbacks with a more animated series feel.

The Bad

It's a pretty compelling story and there's nothing really to complain about. Things get a little heavy--heavier than the show got, but that's what will grab your attention. This is part of the story we've been waiting to hear.

The Verdict

If you've ever watched Batman Beyond or Batman: The Animated Series, you really need to be reading BATMAN BEYOND 2.0. Kyle Higgins and Alec Siegel are giving fans what they want. With the return of Phantasm, secrets behind Terry McGinnis' father's death, and revelations between Bruce and Barbara along with mention of Tim Drake's fate at the hands of the Joker, this storyline is not one to be missed. Phil Hester and Craig Rousseau are handling the art beautifully. If you haven't been reading, do yourself a favor and check it out now.

_ANDY_CAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

awesome review would have given it 6.5 out of 5

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Great review. Glad were getting some answers about all the lingering questions we all had.

cobracaptain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Beyond comics so much and that was a really great issue.

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mask of the phantasm?

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

I'm glad people r taking batman beyond seriously again. It's fun to watch how the past returns in different ways and haunts our heroes: both young and old

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I love that Higgins isn't just focusing on the present and is filling in the gaps between Batman: TAS and Batman Beyond

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce's sidekicks are a bunch of ungrateful jerks.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By danhimself

lol I was thinking the opposite in that if you compared all of the different versions of Batman then this one would be the biggest a$$hole

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NightFang3

@danhimself said:

@nightfang said:

lol I was thinking the opposite in that if you compared all of the different versions of Batman then this one would be the biggest a$$hole

But this version is the same one from Batman: TAS and Justice League (Unlimited) and he wasn't that much of a jerk in those.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself said:

@nightfang said:

But this version is the same one from Batman: TAS and Justice League (Untainted) and he wasn't that much of a jerk in those.

Untainted? I don't know...something must have happened between those and Batman Beyond because he was a pretty big jerk in that and in this arc he's came across as a grade A a$$hole

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

#12  Edited By RavenVice01

@danhimself: batman basically tells it how it is and doesn't care if he is liked or unliked.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NightFang3

@ravenvice01said:

@nightfang said:

@danhimself said:

@nightfang said:

But this version is the same one from Batman: TAS and Justice League (Unlimited) and he wasn't that much of a jerk in those.

Untainted? I don't know...something must have happened between those and Batman Beyond because he was a pretty big jerk in that and in this arc he's came across as a grade A a$$hole

Fixed and I have know idea what happened there.

czechoslovakia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Freaking love this comic so much and the art/tone feel so true to the show

Avatar image for tylerdurden7272
TylerDurden7272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the absolute best comic out right now. I absolutely love this so much and I can revisit my childhood with this. 11 out of 10 for sure

Avatar image for batsymyplaything
batsymyplaything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice to see the gaps in story filled in. Batman is coming more off as a jerk as this series continues, it's just weird as the animated series laid out a different perceptive of him. But still like these turn of events.

Vitacura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vitacura

They had already gave a reason for Bruce and Dick distancing I don't know why They had to make a soap opera.I hate what they are doing with the Phantasm, I hoped Andrea was happy somewhere

It makes me kind of relieved that Higgins no longer writes Nightwing

Munsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh, I hate this. They took one of the worst aspects of the BTAS and made it into some awful soap opera. So the reason Dick and Babs aren't together is because Bruce got Babs pregnant while Dick was away. Great. Thank God Higgins no longer writes the main Dick Grayson character in Grayson.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zereta

Oh god dammit. Things got HEAVY.

Avatar image for darkseid_beyond
Darkseid_Beyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitacura: Andrea Beaumont was not living happily ever after at the the end of Mask of the Phantasm. In the Justice League Unlimited episode "Epilogue" she had been shown as an assassin, hired by Amanda Waller to kill Terry McGinnis' parents but she couldn't do it.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce impregnated babs well dang. I hope she didn't lose the kid, but that was quite a plot twist.

Avatar image for romthelegionaire
Romthelegionaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

I dont think I like Bruce anymore. This issue really succeeded in making me hate Batman for what he did to Dick Grayson.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they retcon Terry into being Bruce's grandson or something from Bruce/Bab's kid, because the ONE thing i HATED from the awesomness of the DCAU was when they revealed Terry's dad had his DNA altered & is shooting Bruce bullets. Terry should NOT be related to Bruce at all, but this is better than notheing.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fallingcliffs

Cool.

DoctorXander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

PHANTASM!!!

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman Beyond has been one of my favorite Digital comics to purchase.Loving this story arc so far,and seeing that back story is exciting!

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#29  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

SO Bruce impregnated Babs and Dick is involved.

WHAT THE HELL? This is mega stupid. Is this some day time soap opera crap?

I give it 1 out of 5 stars.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno, while I can understand people complaining about the soap-like turn, I think it works. I mean, it showcases something that would be a major wedge issue if Bruce ever allowed things to get that far. I think it's interesting to look at something like that happening in the Bat-Family. And, I'll be honest, this happening in the Beyond timeline is why I'm way more receptive to the idea.

And it's funny how it plays into Bruce still coming across as a bigger prick than in other universe incarnations. Although, I guess some of that is from poor decisions Bruce had made all haunting him.

Then again, it seems like his "allies" always expect the worst out of him. They seem to turn everything around and somehow make it about Bruce being controlling or a liar. Like, Bruce telling Dick himself and doing it face to face was the right thing to do, wasn't it?

The whole thing does seem like an interesting look into how messed up this Bat-Family is, really.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce and Babs. Worst. Idea. Ever.

Beata