k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

Robin Rises had an action-packed debut, so it's understandable that writer Peter J. Tomasi wants to calm things down a bit and give us some more character beats before once again going face first into all of the explosive madness. It's essentially the calm before the storm and it works well.

First and foremost, we all know Bruce Wayne's upcoming mission is beyond dangerous and, seeing as he's a genius and brilliant tactician, this is obviously something he knows as well. Instead of simply cracking his knuckles, putting on the armor and heading to Apokolips for some justice, he realizes there are some things that need to be said before he possibly dies. Considering the core of this story is about the importance of family and how far we'll go to make sure they're safe, Bruce meets with the bat-family to let them know how much he cares about them and wants to depart on a positive note. Death of the Family(and Bruce's five stages of grief) feels like it happened so long ago, but for them, this was a huge deal and it's nice to see the ramifications of Scott Snyder's event weren't just cast aside and forgotten. The scene isn't a tearjerker, but it's heartfelt enough and there's a few bits of enjoyable levity tossed in. It gives the story a proper sense of buildup and this really allows that final page to sink in.

I have some small gripes about the sequence in the Watchtower, but Tomasi paced it very well and filled it with little moments that manage to really impress and gave the art team a chance to shine. Artist Patrick Gleason, inker Mick Gray, and colorist John Kalisz made something as simple as one of the new Justice Leauger being humiliated in the background both hilarious and cool and Batman emerging from the darkness is something everyone should love. And if you're not already stoked for this event, the final splash page is sure to boost your interest.

The Bad

The New 52 seems a bit inconsistent with its handling of Wonder Woman. Over in SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN, Diana couldn't fly Clark that far off the planet and, if I remember correctly, she said something like "I cannot go any farther." But in this issue, she has no gripe racing Shazam to the Watchtower. And speaking of that scene, I get they're in a rush, but is plowing straight through the wall really the best option? Did a fail safe kick in and close the opening they just created on the space station? I get they're in a rush, but that was the only option? Also, maybe it's just me, but Bruce seemed surprisingly trusting with Lex Luthor and seemed to be cool with him making some last minute modifications to the armor. He was under the impression Luthor's tying to stall in order to stop him, so I'm not sure why he'd be okay with the genius connecting to the armor and making changes.

Minor gripe: Tim Drake appears to be taller than Jason Todd. I've always been under the impression Todd's a bit taller, but maybe Tim's been drinking more milk?

The Verdict

Robin Rises came out of the gate swinging and this chapter gives us some solid character moments and a nice amount of plot progression. Throw in some consistently pleasing panels and the journey leaves me thrilled to see what's next. Not only that, but these scenes will also definitely make sure the next dose of action is more meaningful and has more heart behind it. Bruce knows this is possibly a one-way trip and hopefully we'll see that reflected in his actions.

As a big Damian Wayne fan, I'm beyond happy to say this is turning out to be a legitimately engaging and thoroughly entertaining story. It hasn't quite hit us with the level of emotion we've seen in some of BATMAN AND ROBIN's previous story arcs, but you can really feel the buildup and I can't wait to see what the creative team has in store for us with this one. Fingers crossed this concludes with Damian's return!

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I felt the same way but, being dead stunted Jasons' growth.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Saren

That final page was pretty awesome stuff from Gleason.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey why is't Batman stone face lying to the batfamily while there having a talk about trust not brought up here.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I was a little let down with thus issue, I enjoy the whole non-fighting downtime moments, but overall it didn't seem like much happened.

Avatar image for i_dont_like_comics
i_dont_like_comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

shazam still a punk with no redeeming qualities

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@saren said:

That final page was pretty awesome stuff from Gleason.

Sure was.

@obsidian_raindrop1 said:

Hey why is't Batman stone face lying to the batfamily while there having a talk about trust not brought up here.

Are you referring to the situation with Dick? Avoided discussing it because I didn't want to spoil the surprise, I guess.

@mucklefluga said:

I was a little let down with thus issue, I enjoy the whole non-fighting downtime moments, but overall it didn't seem like much happened.

READ IT AGAIN AND LIKE IT MORE THIS TIME! But really, I can get that. I really enjoyed the bit with his allies and, even though I have complaints about the Watchtower scene, I loved the moment with Cold and how Batman looked in the armor. Plus, it finally brings him to Apokolips!

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Glad to see that the Death of the family was still affecting them.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Johns probably regrets writing the Batman stinks thing from Forever Evil,Cap Cold just got chumped again,HA take that fanboy Johns.

@patrat18 said:

Glad to see that the Death of the family was still affecting them.

Um it wasn't affecting them,that was the whole point,it was just rubbish that had to be swept aside.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Bruce is about to go kick some butt I. the hellbat suit. I also found it odd that Tim was taller than Jason but not that big of a deal.

It was also almost funny to me how Bruce promises to tell them everything and the whole truth, and then seconds after he says that and they're gone a certain someone Tim Jason and Barbara don't know is still around pops out of nowhere.

That last page was awesome too, I love how Apokolips is just always in fire. Cold being tied up easily was funny too.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Not really liking the way Cold is being written.

fil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnny_blaze: why?? hes just a guy with a gun, batman obviously would get the best of him.

and this isnt a JL comic or captain cold. its batman and robin

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So will Darkseid kill Batman this times like Final Crisis ?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: Who won the race between Shazam and Wonder Woman?

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

I love this review, even though I'm unlikely to read the issue. Great job @k4tzm4n!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Not really liking the way Cold is being written.

I viewed it as Batman caught him off-guard. It's not like he would have been expecting an attack while he's hanging out in the Watchtower, after all.

@frozen said:

@k4tzm4n: Who won the race between Shazam and Wonder Woman?

Batman, obviously.

Shazam jokes that he did.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I love this review, even though I'm unlikely to read the issue. Great job @k4tzm4n!

Wow, that's quite a compliment. Thank you!

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: "See wonder woman, I told ya I'd beat you here" -Shazam

burningzeroX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In regards to Grayson I have a feeling that will be wrapped up by the end of this arc or some time there after. Its hard to say because I don't know timeline wise when this is happening. We know it is after Forever Evil but its hard to say if it is before after or in line with Eternal and Endgame. That being said I have enjoyed Grayson in his spy book so far because from day one I have seen it as a temporary thing and believe that it will be wrapped up soon after the new Robin is announced.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@entropy_aegis: It did. They didn't fully trust Bruce until he said honesty, and no secrets.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

This issue was beyond good. I can't see what will happen next!

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shazam will this guy every not say something that makes people want to punch him LOL. That armour though Jeez it is epic.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@primebonnick: The pre new 52 Billy Batson (cool and not annoying kids that comics fan know) will appear in The Multiversity Thunder World issue written by Grant Morrison. Check that out :)

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Did the new Robin show up yet?

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The wild goose chase continues.

KaraZor-el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KaraZor-el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KaraZor-el

@jayc1324: she never agrees to race. And at the end she looked at him like he was an idiot, like, dude i wasnt racing.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By redwingx

What happened to Dick?

KaraZor-el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KaraZor-el

@primebonnick: lol yea. You can tell nobody likes shazam. Aquaman told him to shut up before batman beat him up. Wonder woman looks at him like hes an idiot in this issue. And hes slways getting lectured cause hes ann i ying and acts like a petulant child.

BruceWayne19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seemed like your coolants were a bit much.for me at least anyway.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So....no bodies even a little concerned with how both Earth 2 and this book are coming so painfully close at this moment?

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this bothered me the most, and each of them brought up an example of how Bruce screwed them or someone recently. He goes on about trust, while lying directly to their faces....good lord. That speech wasn't necessary, he could have just done what he was going to do, why call them all over to lie to them

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How many years it's been since Darkseid invasion?

regiebravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was so happy to see Agent 37.

KaraZor-el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Nightwing seems to be missing out on a lot of fun

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not possible lol. I think 5 years have passed in Batman #1 back in 2011. It must be more now.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh: I think that happens in Robin Rises: Alpha.

@bigcimmerian: I think it's about seven now. The five between JL: Origin and the rest of the New 52, and two during the other New 52 issues.

I must say: I was extremely disappointed with this issue because of the lack of progress with the story.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh: I think that happens in Robin Rises: Alpha.

@bigcimmerian: I think it's about seven now. The five between JL: Origin and the rest of the New 52, and two during the other New 52 issues.

I must say: I was extremely disappointed with this issue because of the lack of progress with the story.

I hink you're right about seven years. And Bruce was Batman for one year before Justice League forming, so I think he's been Batman for about eigth years.