• 68 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Note: We'll have a spoiler-heavy interview with Scott and Greg today at noon PST.

The Good

Sometimes change can be a good thing. Sometimes there comes moments you take a risk or try an experiment. That’s what Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo are doing. This isn’t the Batman we used to know. That’s part of what makes turning each page exciting. We’ve pretty much always seen Gotham with Batman. The idea that it’s been months since Endgame is a strange feeling. Seeing a new threat attacking Gotham and knowing our Batman won’t be showing up is weird.

When we see Batman here, it almost feels both familiar and different. As you read Batman’s dialogue, you start to hear Bruce’s gravel voice but then you remember what you’ve heard and read in the DIVERGENCE sneak peek. This is a different Batman. He’s wearing a robot-suit. It is weird. It’s also pretty cool as you read more and more. This is our full introduction to Jim Gordon as Batman. While the action is thick, we also get some flashbacks in the months between issues to see how exactly he got to this place.

Even though we have Batman in this issue, besides the suit, it is a different Batman. This is the first time we don’t have one of Bruce’s protégés taking over the job. Gordon may have experience in the Marines and with the police department but this is a whole new game. We get to see him adjust to his new position and the new toys he gets to play with. We’re used to a Batman that has every situation figured out. Jim doesn’t have that edge but he does have his own experience and wits to allow him to get the job done in his own way. Gordon’s reasons for finally accepting the position is fascinating. Again, it brings that idea of an experiment to mind. Can a Batman that operates within the system actually work?

Greg Capullo and Danny Miki’s art is, as you’d expect, top notch. Even though we see some familiar faces like Gordon and Harvey Bullock, the action scenes almost make it like a new book for them. It’s great seeing how they handle a big giant mech suit battle in the middle of Gotham. Many have commented on the design of the suit. I wasn't 100% sure about the idea when I first heard about it. Even Gordon questioned it. But as a certain character in the issue says, “It grows on you.” Adding to it all is FCO Plascencia's colors. Some moments are almost a little reminiscent to the first arc in Zero Year. It's almost strange seeing a Batman fighting during the brighter times of the day. But the colors really jump out and amplify everything.

The Bad

It's obvious this might not be a Batman for everyone. Some readers are very resistant to change. This isn't the Batman I would immediately ask for. I am, however, incredibly intrigued by the idea of Jim as Batman as well as how this different way to operate will work. I am curious to what sort of threats he'll be dealing with. It is a new-ish and different direction that will take some getting used to. But this issue makes it seem like it'll be worth it.

The Verdict

The reports are true. We have a new Batman that operates in a completely different fashion. It's an exciting time as Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo are almost writing a brand new book with these changes. There are still some familiar elements and we all know this can't last forever. It's a risky move and I'm incredibly fascinated to see how this turns out. If you have faith in the creative team and love the idea of Batman being taken to a different level, you'll want to pick up this issue. It's BATMAN, but it's also something new for the series. I can't wait to see how this plays out.

Avatar image for atheistknowledge
AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What the hell happened to comics...

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Batsuit is looking so pretty

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Great stories that are different than the status quo?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4 the_stegman  Moderator

Scott Snyder can do no wrong with Batman.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drellassassin said:

@atheistknowledge said:

Great stories that are different than the status quo?

This guy knows what's up.

Is he like the Bat messiah or something?

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snyder's run has been pretty historic. I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Can't wait to see how this plays out

harvin326

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a little resistant at first, but this actually looks pretty interesting. And i trust Scott Snyder

subtlesarcasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge luckily for you, there are about 75 years of old stories you can go back and reread. It looks like the rest of us have some interesting issues ahead of us. Hope you give it the chance it deserves, Snyder has yet to let us down.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AtheistKnowledge

Yep we lived with the statues quo for over half a century and we loved it all but now it all needs to change and that's the only formula required to make a "great story". "Your protagonist has been changed by a completely different character? 10/10 IGN.

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved it

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

subtlesarcasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge you seem to completely not understand the point of Batman. Who is under the cowl is NOT important, Bruce Wayne just happens to be the person with the most mileage as Batman. What the Batman REPRESENTS is what makes him so effective. He is a symbol, and is bigger than any one man. And let's be honest.... Bruce Wayne will be back.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I bet this issue was written after the first receptions.

Because the whole issue reads as something made to answer the fans likes and dislikes.

I mean they only didn't use the term "Bat-Chappie"

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Staying with this because I've become a Scott Snyder fanboy ,but I'm dropping Detective Comics.

Just not paying for the new Batman twice.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AtheistKnowledge
johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: Jean was quite successful, not too sure about Dick, Jean lasted about a year while Dick lasted 2, the others were pretty short. They were greeted badly at first but they weren't too bad. Also since when was Hulk transgender in the new reboot?

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep we lived with the statues quo for over half a century and we loved it all but now it all needs to change and that's the only formula required to make a "great story". "Your protagonist has been changed by a completely different character? 10/10 IGN.

You must be new to comics. Otherwise you'd realize what you just described has been the status quo for the past few decades.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

He sure as hell proved that with Superman

subtlesarcasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistknowledge: I agree that change does not inherently make a thing good or bad. However, I will always assume or hope for something to be good until I am shown otherwise. In this case, based on Snyder's track record, and the weight that comes with the Batman legacy, not to mention the fact that DC isn't gonna just let someone destroy their most popular and lucrative property, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. I feel like when it comes to Batman, that has been earned over the last couple years. If you are right, and the BatGordon run isn't up to snuff, I will be the first person to admit it, but it seems a little early to be condemning it the way you are. As of right now I have nothing to complain about with the new direction.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really loved it.

RexWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnfrank120: That was a joke on my part. It was just a rumor, so far the only thing we know is that Bruce Banner is no longer Hulk and that someone else will be we don't know who it could be, some rumors point out to different characters both male and female. So again change for the sake of change, while Batmans case can be argued, he may be a symbol a mask others can put on... How in the hell does anyone else but Banner become Hulk? We already have plenty of other Hulks, what was so wrong with that?

@subtlesarcasm Yea well maybe you will be singing a different tune when i a few months you realize none of the characters are their original selves and then you also realize it's been 5 years since this all happened and not just a few months. Don't believe me? Brevroot himself said this all new universe with it's new changes will be the next 50-75 years of Marvel(don't think DC isn't thinking the same)... i am only hoping he is using a ridiculous hyperbole.

Avatar image for the_average_bear
The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I was really skeptical going into this issue but it really turned into an awesome issue. I really liked how Gordon basically said what was on most of our minds when he saw the suit. And dang, his black suit was somethin' else. I am now fully on board the Commissioner Batman train

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone spoil this entire issue for me please

DarthDanMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DarthDanMan

I like how you mentioned the "bat-voice", I need to develop a whole new voice for this Batman. I'm thinking of giving it the voice of the Portal turrets. I also didn't have a voice for Jim Gordon either so that's now a must as well.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Can someone spoil this entire issue for me please

Come on man, just buy it and give it a shot yourself. Clearly from all of the reviews it's worth it.

subtlesarcasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By subtlesarcasm

@atheistknowledge: I guess at the end of the day, as long as the stories are compelling and well written, who cares. If the current writers of whatever series think they can tell a better story with a different character filling the shoes of a particular super hero, then I am all for it. Like I said before, complaining before there is something to justify it is ridiculous, and if you already have a bad attitude towards the issue/character/whatever before you even read it, then there is no possible way you will give it a fair shot. These changes don't destroy what came before, they enrich and expand the universe the stories take place in. Do you complain because Jay Garrick is no longer the main Flash, or are you happy because we now have Barry and Wally? Just give the stories a chance, that's all I am saying.

AtheistKnowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subtlesarcasm: Yes i feel the same way when they reboot or remake any movie franchise. I just can't wait to see how they will enrich and expand upon the universe /subtle sarcasm. And to answer your first question, there are still some of us who care. You know i am sure you can make a decent Batman story with just about any character, i really don't see why you should? Why not just make a recurring theme, where we change Batman every 2 years. I can't wait for my kids to pick up the 76th edition of Batman aka Christina Ricci.

VickBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By VickBat

I was surprised by the suit of gordon wears within armor...I did not expect it to batman within the Bunny Armor..

Hum... the choice of the colors of the armor may be possible then?

Rarest enemy to Batman, but ultimately it was a Man that controlled the thing ..

Bruce Wayne...at the end if the man would shadow with the child along R of Robin...

galeme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By galeme

Great issue with a exciting last page.

@vickbat said:

Bruce Wayne...at the end if the man would shadow with the child along R of Robin...

I think that shadow was Dick Grayson next to Damian.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I have seen in my many years of reading comics is that there will always be some that don't agree with a character and their new direction. There have been numerous changes over the years and there always will be. Look at the first appearances of all the iconic characters. Can the people that are afraid of change honestly say they wanted the character to remain exactly the same? I doubt it. We live in a world where change should be expected as the norm and we need to adapt. If you are reading comics and your motivation is not that you simply want great stories and art, then you're doing it wrong.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drellassassin: No thanks, I am not buying a batman book without batman. I just want to know what happens

blackair9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Im going to try hanging in till issues 43 of batman & detective comics but so far the new concept doesn't work for me. its a wried prospect this might be the 1st time in 15 yrs that batman isn't part of my pull list.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@drellassassin: No thanks, I am not buying a batman book without batman. I just want to know what happens

What an incredibly close-minded statement. Go look up your own spoilers rather than hitting up those of us who actually care about the story.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

James Gordon doning the Mask is doable.... am i someone that wants change to our favorite Dark Super-hero? not so much but i really didn't mind the whole Jean-paul Valley when he came in, made things very interesting. with dick,jason, and tim taking over i never read those stories but i also was ok with it as well, because it wasn't permenant...

considering we're also talking about Marvel's big changes i feel they are completely sacrilegious.. turning male characters into females, changing ethnicities, and sexualities... while i have no problem with a NEW character with these attributes. i think both the big 2 should stay away from changing their most famous heroes and trying to make them appeal to everyone. that's when ideas flop and they go right back to square root one.

It's like the old saying " If it ain't broke, Don't fix it"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drellassassin: Its not close minded at all. I just decided that I don't like something. I simply do not like the concept of someone other then Bruce Wayne as Batman. If you aren't providing spoilers there was no reason to even reply to my comment

Lamenoire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lamenoire

I have two problem with Gordon as Batman. But these are minor problems : those rabbit ear and his haircut.

Sure it isn't a mohawk, and it is because his hairline is receding that it looks like that... but shaving it all would have been best.

He looks like he worked the hell out of these 3 month, and I am not only speaking about his suit. but it is logical a 46 years old would use a mecha-suit to be the Batman

It is weird that suit is blue when the true batsuit is that black.

anyway, we all know this is temporary

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Liked this issue very much and I'm looking forward to the rest of the arc

son1new

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue. Can't wait to see where this is leading. If you haven't read it you really can't comment on the changes with any sort of accuracy. Just relax and enjoy the ride.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

@son1new said:

Great issue. Can't wait to see where this is leading. If you haven't read it you really can't comment on the changes with any sort of accuracy. Just relax and enjoy the ride.

QFT

BlueJay2324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm seeing a lot of complaining, which I'm sure means that everyone has read the issue. As for my thoughts on #41, I only got to read 1/12 of the comics I picked up and it was Batman. The writing was very solid, though they did the Thor thing where they addressed reader criticism in the comic. We got it, Jim talking about the robo-suite is the vocal minority who wouldn't give it a chance, at least here we don't get an out of character villain going along with it. Capullo is continuing his beloved style as well, so I'm excited for the next 9 in the storyline.