Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Zero Year vs. Year One (128 votes)

Zero Year 32%
Year One 41%
Just want to see results 27%
Zero Year
Year One

Two great stories, which origin and story is better? Zero Year is more of an event rather than just an origin story, but both define the batman of their time.

• 
Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Honestly I skipped both due to have dull they were, really looking forward to current Batman again.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

It's unfair for me to vote cus I haven't read Zero Year but I enjoyed Year One (even though I'm not a Batfan). Although because of Zero Year we did get that amazing Action Comics issue with Clark in his Shirt/Jeans year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Year one easily. Zero year wasn't good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae: :o I am appalled!! but seriously, i saw the year one movie before reading it, so reading it was a little less enjoyable so I can see what you mean. Zero Year was action packed though

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Year:One.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@bruxae: :o I am appalled!! but seriously, i saw the year one movie before reading it, so reading it was a little less enjoyable so I can see what you mean. Zero Year was action packed though

I think I am just not very into origin stories, I like to know where a hero comes from of course. But Spending a long arc reading it is a bit to much, since none of it really feels like it matters anyway, we know where he will end up.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Wanted to see results. I'll say Year One though Batman Begins was better than both.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Year One without a doubt.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Wolverine008

Year: One succinctly.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Voted Zero Year. Batman Begins is da best doe

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Though I honestly loved Zero Year a lot because it redefined the character, Year One is just something you can't beat

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both of them were great, but I really enjoyed zero year more, it showed us a very inexpirienced batman and how he was on his first inexpirienced days as batman, him not being so good detective, in batman year one it seemed as if bruce had so much expirience, I knew that he had gotten his extreme training and stuff, but he wasn't supposed to do those stuff in year one, they were supposed to us an inexpirienced batman, but it already seemed as if batman had been batman for 2-3 years already, another reason as for why I like zero year more is because batman wasn't invincible there, he made mistakes, he did stupid shit etc etc... and I really didn't like joker's new origin about him leading the red hood gang's leader, I liked it more when his wife was pregnant and him needing money and work for falcone, but overall I think that zero year is better, year one was amazin though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For what it's worth I actually enjoyed Zero Year more while Batman Begins and Mask of the Phantasm are my preferred Batman origins. But Year One is just better.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MuyJingo

I'm just going to copy and paste my comments from Tony's review here, as I think they apply:

This entire arc has been forgettable, at least IMO. I'm glad it's over.

I know some people like it, but I can't see the appeal at all. I mean, this was such an amazing opportunity to update and improve upon Batman's origins...and instead we got something that was just mediocre.

I'm trying to judge it as it's own thing and not compare it to say, Year One, but even then....there are no memorable or stand out moments, and there really isn't anything that defines these adventures as Batman's origin. If these stories were not called Zero Year and were just flashbacks not given any special treatment, it wouldn't make a difference.

That I think, is the biggest flaw of Zero Year. Compare to Year One (dammit...), where you have a focus on Gordon just as much as Bruce. It slowly shows the corruption in the city at all levels, it shows the good men who are trying to figure out how to solve it, and finally it shows the revelation of a legend being born. Not a single hint of an aspect of that is present in Zero Year.

For as much praise as Snyder gets for "treating the city like a character", Year One fleshed out the city far, far more, by showing the effect on the characters who live there. Year One showed the city much better than Snyder has been able to, and it's much easier to see how everything that happened after followed sort of naturally after Year One. The same cannot be said for Zero Year.

I've been saying this from the start: get rid of Snyder, get rid of Capullo.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Zero Year didn't really feel like a tre origin story to me after the first few issues. It was more a story of Batman's first year in Gotham than it was an origin imo.

xcell777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xcell777

Year One. It's still a masterpiece and something I love to go back to reading and acknowledge as Batman's definitive origin story.

Zero Year was good no doubt but it stretched far too long and lacked the gritty raw feel that I get and really enjoy when reading Miller's Year One story.

On the plus side, I really enjoyed the portrayal of The Riddler in this and the fact that he's taken as a very serious and intelligent threat. The only other Riddler story I've enjoyed that I can think of right now was in the Legends of the Dark Knight story arc called Riddle Me That.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zero Year is better imo.

TheBakeBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zero Year was a fun comic book, with bright colors, intense action, and awesome art. Year One was a good story, but it is SO DAMN DULL. It really is boring, nothing but gray and brown and black. Zero Year was just much more fun to read, because not everything has to be dark and gritty.

Tikbaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snyder's Zero Year, no matter how good it is, cannot, in my opinion, compete with one of the top five Batman stories of all time. Year One is far and away a better origin story than Zero Year.

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Clark_EL

Mask of the Phantasm yo... But between Zero year and Year one, I honestly liked zero year more. IMO

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24  Edited By Anjales_II

Depends. What is the stronger Origin story? Year One hands down. What is the stronger story from a narrative standpoint? I have to give Zero Year a slight edge.

Here's the thing, Year One will always be the definitive Batman Origin Story no matter how many times they do a reboot. But Zero Year, the combination of an intriguing and dynamic narrative plus the surreal artwork, how can you say it isn't one of the strongest Batman stories of all time? Sure the same can be said for Year One, but my personal preference makes me more inclined towards Zero Year. but just a little. A small nitpick, while Year One was mostly a Jim Gordon/Batman story, Zero Year was a pure Batman story, the entire focus was on Bruce and his evolution as a man and a vigilante, while Year One dealt with Gotham and how it affects people, notably Jim and Batman, and how it shapes them to be the men that they are.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anjales: I barely even see Zero Year as a cohesive whole, and more 3 loosely connected stories from Bruce's early years. That's really all it is.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: That's why I said, "my personal preference". But I kinda see where your're coming from. Yes ZY features 3 independent stories each with its own main villain. Red Hood in the first, Doctor D in the second (though Riddler was pulling the strings behind the scenes), and Riddler in the third, but they all deal with the common theme of Batman's evolution as a vigilante. He went from point A to point Z through these three stories. Savage city deals directly with the aftermath of Dark City. I wouldn't say they are loosely connected. Maybe the first one, but the second two are directly linked.

@jaken7: glad you agree :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: I think you're just hating on Snyder and capullo. This arc was amazing, and it wasn't so much of an origin story so much as his first year in Gotham. Zero year doesn't have to show the same thing as year one. Then people would just say its copying it. But zero year basically defined the new 52 batman and why he does what he does. This arc is not forgettable at all, and already has been mentioned many times in other bat series. I'm not seeing how this isn't an update to his origin, so much is different.

All year one did was show Gordon. Some cops. And batman. Zero year actually fleshed out the city more, showing actual regular citizens struggling and being affected by what's going on, and the way they rejoiced when the city was saved was great. Year one showed corruption with cops. Zery year showed it everywhere, even in Bruce's own family and company. Year one was actually quote bland.

Even frank miller praised it.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Zero Year.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually don't like year one.

Beata

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@muyjingo: I think you're just hating on Snyder and capullo. This arc was amazing, and it wasn't so much of an origin story so much as his first year in Gotham. Zero year doesn't have to show the same thing as year one. Then people would just say its copying it. But zero year basically defined the new 52 batman and why he does what he does. This arc is not forgettable at all, and already has been mentioned many times in other bat series. I'm not seeing how this isn't an update to his origin, so much is different.

All year one did was show Gordon. Some cops. And batman. Zero year actually fleshed out the city more, showing actual regular citizens struggling and being affected by what's going on, and the way they rejoiced when the city was saved was great. Year one showed corruption with cops. Zery year showed it everywhere, even in Bruce's own family and company. Year one was actually quote bland.

Even frank miller praised it.

Well, you can call it hating, and you might be right although that seems like a strong way to put it. I've certainly disliked their work from the start.

As for what you say, well we obviously disagree, but I'll try to address some of your points to clarify why I disagree.

I agree, Zero Year doesn't have to show the same thing as Year One - indeed, it should strive to be it's own thing. The thing is, I disagree that Zero Year defined the New 52, inf act I don't think it had any impact at all. The first arc with the Red Hood didn't make any meaningful change to the story we know, except to make The Killing Joke less impactfull by having the Red Hood be not a patsy used by one gang of mobsters and turning it into a powerful criminal organization were every member has a red hood. Aside from creating and introducing the red hood gang, how did this help to define the character in the New 52? If this had been set in modern day or was seen in LotDK, would it be any different? I think not, because it was just an early adventure, not a formative early adventure.

I feel the same way for the subsequent two arcs. The arc with Doctor Death had loose ties to Riddler, but that didn't really add anything (i.e. Riddler was unnecessary to the plot) and the third was just a Batman vs Riddler story. The only touch that made it somewhat originy was that Batman had been out of it for a while, so Riddler had kept control for longer than normal. Take that away and again, there is nothing defining about the arc. Hence, I see it as forgettable.

Honestly, I think Zero Year fleshed out the villians more than the Batman. Look at what I wrote above, how it compares to Zero year. In Zero Year we have a good cop come to the most corrupt city in that universe, determined to be good and starting to realize that sometimes working outside of the law, or at least outside of the executive branch. At the same time we have Bruce who has just come back with all this training and money and desire to help, slowly realizing that something extra is needed. That whole arc is fantastic, and set the stage for Batman stories to this day.

Is Zero Year trying to do something similar? Perhaps not, so perhaps it's not fair to judge it in that way. But if Zero Year isn't trying to do something similar, then I have no idea what it's trying to do. To me, Batman and Gordon are the same characters at the beginning of the book as they were at the end, except for the brief nonsense with Bruce getting inspired by a damn hologram.

I think if you are so dismissive of Year One, you should really read it again. It isn't as basic as you seem to insist, while I haven't seen any good points to make me think Zero Year isn't exactly that basic.

Oh, and Zero Year is really only being referenced in other books Snyder writes. I haven't really noticed any reference to it in Detective Comics or Batman and Robin.

Do you have a quote to Miller praising it? I would be curious to read that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: Then at the same time, with #33 -- and then I'll stop talking! [Laughter] The last thing I'll say is, on the other side of the coin, for #33 and the story in general, the project has been to make it something very personal. I was lucky enough a few weeks ago to meet Frank Miller for the first time, and it was a huge thrill for me. I mean, that was one of the things I was hoping and asking DC about since I started there! When we spoke, he was incredibly gracious and sweet to me and generous to us on the book. When we spoke and I told him how much "Year One" meant to me, he told me that he had read "Zero Year" so far, which blew my mind! He said he felt it had the right spirit, and he could tell it was about things that mattered to us personally -- and he said we gave him [Batman] a "good goddamn haircut!" If I could use that as a quote, I'd die happy! [Laughs]

Interview with Scott Snyder

Hungry_Sharky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Greatly enjoyed both, however Year One is the greatest piece of fiction known to man.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: Oh, yeah, I saw that. Not sure where Miller had read up to, but it sounds like he didn't exactly give it praise, he just didn't condemn it. In fact, saying it had the right spirit and that it was obviously about things personal the to e creators is kind of a way of being polite without really giving a compliment...at least in my eyes.

tec79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Year One is the better story and remains the definitive origin.

MyNameIsWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MyNameIsWill

Year One, I don't know, It was just better.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

haven't read Zero year yet, but don't see how it can top Year one as an origin story

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 the_stegman  Moderator

Year One is the better origin, but Zero Year is the better story...if that makes any sense.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zero Year for me.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

haven't read Zero year yet, but don't see how it can top Year one as an origin story

Its good, specially Savage City.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#41 frozen  Moderator

@lvenger said:

@rustyroy said:

Agreed.

Definitely one of the best Batman stories ever told, if not the best arguably.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

@frozen said:

@lvenger said:

@rustyroy said:

Agreed.

Received it last Christmas from my bro. It's the only Frank Millar story I actually like myself. Though the Daredevil fans will be on me for not reading Millar's equally revolutionary Daredevil run I imagine :P

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy:

Good! I am going to ask for Volumes 4 and 5 (Zero Year) for Christmas, amongst other stuff!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@frozen said:

@lvenger said:

@rustyroy said:

Agreed.

Received it last Christmas from my bro. It's the only Frank Millar story I actually like myself. Though the Daredevil fans will be on me for not reading Millar's equally revolutionary Daredevil run I imagine :P

I haven't read his Daredevil run either, I've heard he also wrote a Wolverine story. Btw what do you think of the first two parts of TDKR? It almost feels like a complete story and doesn't involve Superman except one page.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

@rustyroy:

Good! I am going to ask for Volumes 4 and 5 (Zero Year) for Christmas, amongst other stuff!

Nice. I've started reading reading Morrison's Action Comics run, and I'm loving it so far except the art, which is a little inconsistent. Going to get some other Supes book from @squalleon's list after I finish reading AC.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@bezza said:

@rustyroy:

Nice. I've started reading reading Morrison's Action Comics run, and I'm loving it so far except the art, which is a little inconsistent. Going to get some other Supes book from @squalleon's list after I finish reading AC.

:D
If you need more info on collections, trades etc PM me :)