Will Bruce ever get married for a longish period of time?

• 57 results
ndixit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I mean kind of like Clark and Lois were for years until the New 52. And I'm not talking about now or even in the near future. I'm talking about in the conceivable future. I mean Bruce/Batman has had a ton of love interests, even had a biological child, but marriage seems almost incongruous to the character. One aspect that has always remained integral to Batman throughout its comic history is the importance of his mission over anything else. Zero Year compounded that aspect. I know they showed Bruce and Selina as married in Earth 2 in the Batman/Superman series but I don't foresee that happening to the current Earth canon Batman. I think the writers value his independence too much to have him be married. It would also have to be an extraordinary woman to be able to deal with Bruce. Clark is more of a normal person outside of his Superman disguise than Bruce which is why I think the marriage with Lois worked for so many years. I just found myself thinking about it reading some of the pre New 52 comics that I have. What do you guys think?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No because DC doesnt want him to, which i find to be total BS

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nah

ndixit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ndixit

@jayc1324: I guess that's partly true. Bruce is DC's handsome eligible bachelor with tortured side. I guess it boils down to the fact that it would probably take some serious long term planning and execution in order for a Bruce Wayne/Batman relationship with someone to be believably transitioned to a long term marriage. I think it might be interesting to see attempted but I don't foresee it happening.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have a problem with him not being married but I'd like to see him in a long term relationship preferably with a civilian or superhero.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6  Edited By Pokeysteve

DC wants people to see Batman as a brooding loner which is ridiculous since he has a bigger network of allies than almost anyone else in comics. Quit moping around, Bruce.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

For the longest time I felt Talia would be the perfect choice as a possibly wife for Bruce, but sadly DC threw any chance for that every happening out the window. The problem Batman really has is the fact that he doesn't really have a Mary-Jan/Lois Lane like love interest. What DC needs to do first is give Bruce a love-interest who would be both compatible with Bruce Wayne as well as Batman.

Zelos797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Bruce is really obsessed with the crime fighting stuff + with DC's policy on super hero marrige I do not think it will be possible for sometime at least...

ndixit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer: Agreed. The problem I've always had with Talia and Selina as Bruce's main love interests is that they seem to be designed to suit only the Batman side of Bruce's personality. I mean both Bruce Wayne and Batman are both larger than life figures within the DC world and if there is ever to be a long term relationship/marriage with someone, that character would have to deal with being both the wife of Batman and Bruce Wayne. I could imagine both Talia and Selina managing to deal with being the wife of Batman, having worked and fought side by side with him, but I never can imagine them being Mrs. Wayne, wife of the celebrity businessman billionaire. I kind of liked the idea of Zatanna being Bruce's love interest when Paul Dini was running things, given that she knew Bruce from a point before Batman and obviously had a close friendship with him as well being a colleague. But that obviously never went anywhere. I do recognize that its difficult to tie down any other major comic character to Bruce because then they will always live under his shadow. It would take some skillful writing to create a more normal character which would be able to deal with both sides of Bruce and I think that's partly the reason why it has never happened and why it probably never will.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

He could marry Talia and turn the League of Assassins (He could change the name to league of shadows) into a badass crime fighting organization. Or he could marry Catwoman so he'll never need another Robin (if they decided to keep Damian dead). He could also marry Wonder Woman (the hottest fictional character ever) and have the best sex for all eternity.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toplel said:

@pokeysteve: Having a large network of allies doesn't stop him from being a loner. What kind of logic is that, really?

Mentally it would have no impact. I'm talking physically. Between the League, Robin, Dick, Babs, Alfred, Gordon, Catwoman and the various women he's seen with, it's unlikely he's ever alone for very long.

batcat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ndixit: For some reason creators are afraid of getting superheroes married even if it makes sense for superheroes that are more well-adjusted and normal compared to others. It's why they practically erased the marriages of iconic couples such as Clark and Lois (as you've stated) and Peter Parker & Mary Jane.

Bruce has always attracted extraordinary woman. His greatest love interests is a street orphan who lived in the most dangerous streets of Gotham to become one of the greatest thieves in the world, and the other is the daughter of one of the greatest criminal masterminds in the world and would eventually create and lead a powerful crime organization herself.

Bruce was actually married to Catwoman before Earth 2 during the Silver age I believe, but I guess the Earth 2 series is based off the Silver Age.

Even in pre-52 he is as you described as a man who puts his crusade first which is why he has a somewhat estranged and tenuous relationship with even his closest allies. Bruce did admit he still loved Selina but at the time would never work out and Selina agreed as well since she is quite independent and does not like to be tied down though they've had their occasional trysts. If you ask casual fans who is Batman's greatest love they will usually say Catwoman.

With the current continuity he definitely will not get married but an extended romance that lasts longer than a toothpick... possible but unlikely. Regardless Catwoman is still the strongest love interest even in the new 52 imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I would go with Catwoman but I can envision him and Diana as well. Creating a new character and introducing her as the "one" is too gargantuan a task, I think.

ndixit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ndixit

@hislolita: It would take quite a while for sure. But I'm not sure Catwoman would work in a marriage situation. I think too much of the appeal of the Batman/Catwoman relationship lies with the flirtatious back and forth which would be difficult to maintain in a marriage situation. Also, I find it a bit difficult envisioning Selina as the wife of Bruce Wayne. Being Mrs. Wayne would an arduous task by itself because she would be a public figure as well. Just can't imagine Selina as that. I can envision Diana because she's such a strong character by herself and could handle Bruce and Batman but we all know that will never happen. I don't think there will ever be a situation where DC will tie down their biggest female character with their most popular DC character because that would restrict Wonder Woman far too much. If they ever tried a marriage for Bruce, I think its much more recommended that they create a new character and develop her over time. It would take some serious long term planning by all the Batman writers which is another reason why I think it will ever happen.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He could marry Talia and turn the League of Assassins (He could change the name to league of shadows) into a badass crime fighting organization.

This could'v been great as a story.

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: I know right. When I grow up I'm writing this! It will be awesome!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: I know right. When I grow up I'm writing this! It will be awesome!

Grow up faster! I want to read it as soon as possible!

ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ndixit said:

@hislolita: It would take quite a while for sure. But I'm not sure Catwoman would work in a marriage situation. I think too much of the appeal of the Batman/Catwoman relationship lies with the flirtatious back and forth which would be difficult to maintain in a marriage situation. Also, I find it a bit difficult envisioning Selina as the wife of Bruce Wayne. Being Mrs. Wayne would an arduous task by itself because she would be a public figure as well. Just can't imagine Selina as that. I can envision Diana because she's such a strong character by herself and could handle Bruce and Batman but we all know that will never happen. I don't think there will ever be a situation where DC will tie down their biggest female character with their most popular DC character because that would restrict Wonder Woman far too much. If they ever tried a marriage for Bruce, I think its much more recommended that they create a new character and develop her over time. It would take some serious long term planning by all the Batman writers which is another reason why I think it will ever happen.

You make great points. I wasn't thinking of the Bruce Wayne side of things, and I agree he'd need a very capable partner who can work the elite society like a boss. Maybe a character who is wealthy in her own right and is known for throwing gala balls for various charities to prevent boredom but is secretly a highly involved humanitarian who takes on the world's problems under the guise of a new hero? Or not. A Lois Lane type character who instead of taking on bad guys through the written word, does it through diplomatic finesse?

I would invest in a character like that. Subtly done, it could work.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pokeysteve

@toplel said:

@pokeysteve: I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here. Are you saying that because hes usually surrounded by people, he should stop being a loner?

I'm saying with people constantly around he can't be a loner. Physically. And yeah he should just stop haha.

ndixit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ndixit

@ms-lola: Yeah, I would be all for such a development. It just takes a lot of investment from the writers and given how many writers work on Batman these days, I'm sure its difficult to get them to a consensus about such a decision. I can't think of any existing character that would work as a long term love interest that could result in a marriage. Like I mentioned earlier, I felt Zatanna was an interesting possibility when Paul Dini was running things given that she exists independent of Bruce but knew Bruce before he ever became Batman and also fought beside him. So I could have seen that develop into something long term had they chosen to go in that direction.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Even if he does tie the knot with somebody, it's going to be undone at some point due to Dan Didio's marriage phobia.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By OrangeBat

Why does Batman need to be married?

In fact, what is this obsession comic fans have with marriage? Quite a few Spider-Man fans are still throwing a shit-fit because Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson are not hitched. Same thing goes for Lois and Clark fans.

No. Let Batman have his freedom. Maybe he just doesn't want to get married, because he views it as a pointless, outdated institution.

In terms of progeny, he already has three adopted sons, and a biological one, so he's good on that front.

Sex, love and companionship? He can get that in spades without being married.

No need to do a Batman wedding.

ndixit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orangebat: Of course he doesn't have to be married. But technically no hero need to be married. I don't think comic fans are obsessed with marriage, but two of the major marriages in superhero comics, Peter-MJ and Clark-Lois, were among the best written romances in comics. I think the fact that these were well written long term relationships is the reason why people were upset when they were erased. Also, long term superhero relationships are so rare that its refreshing to see them actually be executed successfully. Its just a direction that they haven't explored with Batman yet. I was just wondering the likelihood of this direction being taken. I guess the answer to that is pretty much unanimously no. I guess the more pertinent question is if Batman fans would actually like to see him in a long term relationship.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toplel said:

@pokeysteve: I see that you have absolutely no idea what personalities are and how they work. You can't just 'stop' being a loner. Jesus Christ, what the hell.

I see that you are having trouble reading and have a personality that doesn't include a sense of humor. Good day.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I hope he gets married. It would make for an interesting story

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does Batman need to be married?

In fact, what is this obsession comic fans have with marriage? Quite a few Spider-Man fans are still throwing a shit-fit because Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson are not hitched. Same thing goes for Lois and Clark fans.

Peter and MJ are still married in some universes like the newspaper comics (which you can find online for free), and Lois and Clark are still a couple in the Smallville comics, so there's still plenty of alternative choices for those fans

As for Batman, I quite like the kind of relationships he had in the DCAU, each felt unique, my favourite was the teasing with Diana during JL/JLU, it's a route that DC might want to go down for a bit when they tire of Supes/Diana.

Ideally I love Selina and I feel it can work with her, but it requires a really convincing piece of character building and rationality to make those two even want to come around to the big question and the "I dos"...I don't think they're incapable of it, it's just you need to make the characters AND the readers accept it as a natural fit and make them reach that stage in their lives were they would consider it. That would require less complication in Batman's world of course, and Bats is almost never without complication, as it should be.

There's a good story to be told in Bruce getting hitched...making it last with Bruce's state of mind and Selina's divided loyalites is a whole different story, but it's one I'd be willing to read.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about Barbara Gordon... go all woody allen-ish with it.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toplel said:

@pokeysteve: To be honest, I was a bit confused about not being 'physically' lonely, but you cleared that up for me. And now you're claiming it was humor? If so, I'd recommend you work on it, because it was hilariously bad. Or was that your intention in the first place.

I was only kidding about him just stopping being a loner. Funny or not, they can't all be winners right.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see him marry Catwoman or a newly reformed Talia, not the evil kind in batman inc.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toplel said:

@pokeysteve: Didn't seem like that in the first place, but whatever you say. Your original point that he has a lot of allies, hence hes not a loner was pretty off, though.

Not my original point but okay.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman was married with Catwoman for a long time.

He even destroy the Batman suit because, it was caused her death.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Batman was married with Catwoman for a long time.

He even destroy the Batman suit because, it was caused her death.

I haven't you seen you post in a long long time

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By slimj87d

Bruce shouldn't get married because it would ruin the formula that has worked so well for years.

The last thing he needs in his books is too much romance. His books are dark and his love life is interesting and settle.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toplel said:

@pokeysteve: Please, do tell what it was.

It's in my original post and even a couple after it for everyone to read.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about Barbara Gordon... go all woody allen-ish with it.

I would pay top dollar to see that happen.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Bruce is fine being a lone wolf. i'd rather see wolverine get married before bruce.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

No way in hell.

DeathHero61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toplel said:

@pokeysteve: You do realize that that is a given and not at all what being a loner entails?

mash up animated GIF