#1 Posted by Tohoma (1618 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone knows that Batman has a no-killing code but people tend to criticize him for not killing a character like the Joker for the greater good. But my question is why hasn't society in the form of the government give characters like the Joker the death penalty. I mean this guy has killed hundreds of people but yet the only punishment he receives is a return trip to Arkham. I understand that the Joker and other Arkham inmates are legally insane but there has to be a limit to this madness.

#2 Posted by RedLantern23 (890 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Joker is a popular character and killing him is bad for business.

If I remember correctly, Joker was supposed to die after his first appearance but the writers decided against it.

#3 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

If I remember correctly, Joker was supposed to die after his first appearance but the writers decided against it.

#4 Posted by VaizD (248 posts) - - Show Bio

Realistically speaking, someone like the Joker would have been killed, if not by court order, by someone who got lucky with a gun.

But comic books, sooo...

#5 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

@vaizd: tell me more about how people do this to modern criminals or corrupt government officials

#6 Posted by RustyRoy (13825 posts) - - Show Bio

@tohoma: I think about that all the time. Batman should not kill because than his relationship with the Police will be damaged but the Court has the power to order a death penalty. But as everyone said its comic books so the chance of this happening in the main continuity is almost zero.

#7 Posted by Jayc1324 (13374 posts) - - Show Bio

In the dark knight returns batmans thoughts say that the joker was classified as insane, so he doesn't get killed for his crimes, just jailed

#8 Posted by dmreyn (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Same reason most major super villains, whether Batman, DC in general, or comic book villains as a whole, haven't been killed off. A popular villain isn't just going to disappear.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they did kill Joker off at some point. With that being said, it would only be a matter of time before somebody brings him back from the dead. Green Goblin and Doc Ock both died in Spider-Man, but of course, as mentioned, they were his two major nemeses, so they brought them back years later.

#9 Posted by Vikings (48 posts) - - Show Bio

Correct. He was initially a one time villain, they even finished the entire comic with it ending in his death. Thankfully someone realized he was too great to kill off, so another panel was added showing the Joker was still alive.

I think one reason is the fear. How many of you would realistically pull a gun on the Joker and risk the bullet not killing him? I sure wouldn't, because I know he would simply ruin my life. Even if it did, do you really think the Joker's buddies wouldn't come and deliver you a major whooping? I wouldn't want Harley Quinn to have a reason to ruin my life either. Not to mention, I'm sure the police and Batman would stand in your way of killing him, villain or not, Batman has saved the Joker's life in the past.

That however is from an inside-the-comic perspective. Realistically if they wrote the Joker to die off (especially from something as stupid as a civilian shooting him), Bat-fans would go insane, and I'm sure whoever was responsible for the Joker's death would be fired immediately for making the company take a huge financial hit.

#10 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

In terms of the comic world, I suspect that it's a combination of laws against executing the criminally insane along with constant tampering of evidence.

Batman's intervention (taking evidence, investigating crime scenes, etc) makes it a nightmare for a lawyer to properly convict someone with a sentence that sticks.

Also, Chuck Dixon had a way around "why doesn't the Joker die." He always thought that the Joker was different people through the ages, which explains why he goes through different weird phases. That Joker is more of a legacy taken by the criminally insane as a figurehead rather than a single person.

#11 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1308 posts) - - Show Bio

Its a comic book world, therefore lots of sh!t won't make any sense.