Why do you like The Dark Knight Returns.

DylanOfEarth2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DylanOfEarth2

I have read the dark knight returns, 3 times now and still do not like it that much. I think its astoundingly over rated. Why do you guys like it so much?

Avatar image for themanwithnoname
TheManWithNoName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Its not the story its the meaning and the skill that its crafted. The story and the art and the coloring are so precise that it creates a depressing tension filled atmosphere that screams all the horrors of the 80s and then the directions that the story takes creates an epic moving piece is all about not what's on the surface which is fear but what's under it which is hope this is also an analogy for batman. Also after year which constructed a batman mythos and new ideals and landmarks to the character. The question was could it be duplicated can this batman be written again in a different setting. The end is the opposite of the beginning so that's where frank Miller put the story. Year one enforces and creates the ideals of batman. It is the construction story. An ongoinging character IMO needs two stories one too create all the ideals and who the character is and the things not to be changed. A deconstruction is a story where a character proves all the points without changing anything. Also it has some really awesome fight scenes.

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was nothing like it before it came out an it was extremely dark for comics at the time, closest thing by then was xmen: DOFP

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@dylanofearth2: I do not like it either, but it is important for the history of comics on good and bad. It was written at a time, were Batman were still thought of as Adam West, instead of a dark avenger.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One does not simply call the Dark Knight Returns "overrated."

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

One does not simply call the Dark Knight Returns "overrated."

DylanOfEarth2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok I "Like" the book and the story of it, but the cutaways to the news is way too annoying, and I don't think fits with a batman comic. I do love the art, I think the art is the best part of the book.

DylanOfEarth2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I can see why people love it, but now days I think there are much better comics out there.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By PeppeyHare

Ok I "Like" the book and the story of it, but the cutaways to the news is way too annoying, and I don't think fits with a batman comic. I do love the art, I think the art is the best part of the book.

The cutaways to the news fit in perfectly to the book (Unlike the film). If you stop thinking of it as a Batman story you'll enjoy it a lot more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@peppeyhare said:

@dylanofearth2 said:

The cutaways to the news fit in perfectly to the book (Unlike the film). If you stop thinking of it as a Batman story you'll enjoy it a lot more.

Yeah, I agree with that. It really is a heck of a comic, but as a Batman story, it's okay. I think Year One is a much better Batman story. The Dark Knight Returns is mostly a gritty story with some Batman toppings about a hero regaining control over his city.

TekTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Its not the story its the meaning and the skill that its crafted. The story and the art and the coloring are so precise that it creates a depressing tension filled atmosphere that screams all the horrors of the 80s and then the directions that the story takes creates an epic moving piece is all about not what's on the surface which is fear but what's under it which is hope this is also an analogy for batman. Also after year which constructed a batman mythos and new ideals and landmarks to the character. The question was could it be duplicated can this batman be written again in a different setting. The end is the opposite of the beginning so that's where frank Miller put the story. Year one enforces and creates the ideals of batman. It is the construction story. An ongoinging character IMO needs two stories one too create all the ideals and who the character is and the things not to be changed. A deconstruction is a story where a character proves all the points without changing anything. Also it has some really awesome fight scenes.

No Caption Provided
DylanOfEarth2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

alright thanks guys, ill try re reading it with the advice you guys gave me.

TekTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for themanwithnoname
TheManWithNoName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tektheninja: after seeing what miller doing now I'm almost completely sure this book was an accident. But I will still defend it saying its good.

tec79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tec79

The writing art and characterisation are great. The book really examined the trauma and psychological impact of the Waynes murder on Bruce. The dynamic between Batman and Joker. The story builds to an epic climax that in no way leaves the reader disappointed. The vision of urban decay and a broken Gotham comprised of fearful citizens and incompetent government that provides perhaps the ultimate setting for Batman. A story full of incredible moments that are completely original and timeless.

ace20xd6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

When I first read it I thought it was overrated too, it get's better with every re-reading though. And the animated movie version was awesome.

TekTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers