• 150 results
#1 Posted by Jade1977 (598 posts) - - Show Bio

I still don't understand why Batman fans hate Hal Jordan so much. All Hal ever did to Batman was punch him in GL: Rebirth, and Batman did the same to Hal in Green Lantern 9. The Joker crippled one of Batman's sidekicks and beat another to death with a crowbar, and I don't see people hating on the Joker. Two-Face nearly beat Dick Grayson to death with a baseball bat, and I don't see much hating on him, either.
#2 Posted by johnny_spam (2031 posts) - - Show Bio

I am a huge Batman fan and I like Hal I think John, Kyle, Guy and Alan aren't as interesting. But I still haven't read Hal's punch to Batman but it seems to me that logic would mean That Batman a man trained in probably all forms of martial arts on Earth could avoid a punch by Hal who is a guy who has military training and primarily uses the power ring.  

#3 Posted by Portrait (4484 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both.

#4 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84515 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe it goes both ways and its not just Hal Jordan, its most GL's in general. Wizard Magazine had an article about this a couple years ago I believe. It started back when Bats jaw jacked Guy Gardner. Then in rebirth Bats was punked by just about every GL from Jordan to Stewart. Then in Allstar Batman Hal got humiliated when the Boy Wonder damn near killed him. Its the Yankees/Red Sox of the comicbook World.

Moderator Online
#5 Posted by Shanana (52892 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I know Hal Jordan doesn't like Batman lol

#6 Posted by Vortex13 (12223 posts) - - Show Bio

I love both. I thought the punch thing was funny, I liked the animosity between them.

#7 Posted by joshmightbe (24600 posts) - - Show Bio

i like hal and batman

#8 Posted by burr787 (2504 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Hal more than Bruce Wayne, but I do like both of them.

#9 Posted by TazzMission (5488 posts) - - Show Bio

i like both and i like how they have the hole ego thing going
#10 Posted by batarrowlantern (47 posts) - - Show Bio

Im a batman(Bruce Wayne is batman not Dick Grayson) who likes Hal Jordan

#11 Posted by bob agent of agency x (207 posts) - - Show Bio

Hay you know whats weird, I'm a Hal Jordon who hates Batman(I like Two-face and Joker to).

#12 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84515 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer: Bad writing.
Moderator Online
#13 Posted by Dr. Maxwell (661 posts) - - Show Bio

Goes without saying that Batman is my favorite, and Hal is my favorite Lantern. But im wierd, as I also like Jason Todd and Damian

#14 Posted by TheThe (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a batman fan,and i dont like Hal Jordan at all. He has no depth and is a dick. The Only GL i like are Kilowog,JS et KR.

#15 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

i hate lanterns not hal jordan...actually no i hate him too

#16 Posted by Duo_forbidden (1161 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a Batman fan, and I don't hate Hal. He's pretty cool in my book.

#17 Posted by Billy Batson (57753 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both.

#18 Posted by Sydpart2 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like how they wrote Bats in rebirth but I like both...the payback in GL #9 was not only awesome but also hilarious
Batman: Put on your seat belt we'll be reaching speeds over 120mph
Hal: I'm fine, I have the ring on
Batman hits the gas and Hal get's turned into a tennis ball as he bounces around the cabin
Hal (putting on the seat belt): You're hilarious
Batman (straight faced): I try

#19 Posted by PowerHerc (81602 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't know they did.

Maybe it's because Hal isn't afraid of Bruce.

#20 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12512 posts) - - Show Bio

geoff johns repeatedly makes batman look like a douche to Hal (wich he's not)

so that might have a little to do with it

#21 Posted by TheThe (1729 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
"

geoff johns repeatedly makes batman look like a douche to Hal (wich he's not)

so that might have a little to do with it

"
This. Geoff Johns is horny for Hal Jordan.I dont even see what he founds so extraordinary with him. Kyle is far better Green lantern.
#22 Posted by EJT (10 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Both!

#23 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

I laughed out loud in Green Lantern Rebirth when Hal laid out Batman with a single punch.

#24 Posted by entropy_aegis (14219 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget said:
" I laughed out loud in Green Lantern Rebirth when Hal laid out Batman with a single punch. "
I laughed even harder when Batman oneshotted his ass in GL 9 .
#25 Posted by joshmightbe (24600 posts) - - Show Bio

The only problem I have with Hal is that the success of his comeback indirectly led to Barry Allen's come back well that and the fact that Johns is another comic writer that can't let go of his childhood

#26 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis: :D
#27 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Hal is just the kind of guy that doesn't easily get along with other people. Specially other people with strong personalities. I think it was even an issue of Green Lantern where Hal Jordan said that all of his closest friends he wanted to punch when he first met them, and from most of them have told him the feeling was mutual. Barry Allen didn't even like him at first, and they're really close friends now. When Hal needed to get discharged from the Air Force what did he do? Punched his superior officer. That's the kinda guy he is.

#28 Posted by ComicCrazy (1537 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a huge Hal Jordan fan and a huge Batman fan.

#29 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Cause Hal's got powers and Bruce doesn't. And Bruce has money and Hal's your average Joe... :D

#30 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Batman is a brilliant character, and Hal is a blank slate as far as personality goes. Geoff Johns doesn't like Batman, thus, because Hal is his author-avatar, he writes Hal as being treated poorly by Batman but being the bigger person anyway.

Hal punching Bruce in Rebirth was PIS.

@PowerHerc said:

"

That would only be because Hal's a moron.
#31 Posted by batman_is_god (1185 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
"Because Batman is a brilliant character, and Hal is a blank slate as far as personality goes. Geoff Johns doesn't like Batman, thus, because Hal is his author-avatar, he writes Hal as being treated poorly by Batman but being the bigger person anyway.

@PowerHerc said:

"
That would only be because Hal's a moron. "

My thoughts exactly. I was INCREDIBLY pissed when I found out Johns was writing Batman: Earth One. I don't have a problem with Hal, but Johns makes it to where I am starting to.
#32 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jade1977 said:

" I still don't understand why Batman fans hate Hal Jordan so much. All Hal ever did to Batman was punch him in GL: Rebirth, and Batman did the same to Hal in Green Lantern 9. The Joker crippled one of Batman's sidekicks and beat another to death with a crowbar, and I don't see people hating on the Joker. Two-Face nearly beat Dick Grayson to death with a baseball bat, and I don't see much hating on him, either. "

Pretty big blanket statement being made here. My dislike of Hal Jordan has crap all to do with my love of Batman. It has everything to do with my dislike of Geoff Johns' writing.  I find Hal to be a boring character and my dislike of him being the most focused upon GL has to do with my preference for Kyle Rayner/John Stewart.  
#33 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Stewart best explained it:

#34 Posted by katanalauncher (937 posts) - - Show Bio

Because Batman rely on people's fear, and when someone is fearless he feels threatened.

#35 Posted by Sydpart2 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio
@katanalauncher: yes and no, Batman relies on himself and preys on the fears of others. Bats is obviously not threatened by those that don't fear him, I mean look at how he reacts to Joker sometimes.
#36 Posted by joshmightbe (24600 posts) - - Show Bio

Lets be honest if you meet someone like either of these guys in real life you'd think they were pricks 

#37 Posted by batman_is_god (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

I do not even notice an animosity between the two characters except when Geoff Johns is writing.
#38 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32673 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
" Lets be honest if you meet someone like either of these guys in real life you'd think they were pricks  "
QFT
#39 Posted by karrob (4276 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson said:
"

I like both.

"
#40 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12512 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
"Because Batman is a brilliant character, and Hal is a blank slate as far as personality goes. Geoff Johns doesn't like Batman, thus, because Hal is his author-avatar, he writes Hal as being treated poorly by Batman but being the bigger person anyway.

@PowerHerc said:

"
That would only be because Hal's a moron. "

i think that would be why Guy isnt afraid of him

#41 Posted by teewillis1981 (123 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a Batman fan and I don't like Hal Jordan, but to be fair I don't like the Green Lantern concept at all. I'm just not interested in inter-galactic space cops lol. Nothing against Hal, but I kind of like my justice gritty. 

#42 Posted by Feliciano2040 (654 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't want to get on fanboy mode in here, but that scene in rebirth was an absolute facepalm, how exactly does a schmuck like Hal get the drop on probably the best fighter in the DC Universe ?

That said, I've never liked Hal, sure, he is THE first green lantern, but he's an incredibly shallow character, void of any real depth, unlike all the others.

John for example has real, relevant, military background, as opposed to the whole "test pilot" thing which is nothing more than ego-stroke for the character. Guy is pure untapped potential, the man has a degree in psychology and liberal arts, was a teacher before being a lantern, he would be an amazing character if only there where writers up to the challenge. Same goes for Kyle, who is very relatable, and always has this whole "underdog" feel around him, he is a pussy, he is not really battle-tested, yet somehow he is brave enough to face any dangers he may encounter as a lantern, great stuff.

#43 Posted by SmoothJammin (2332 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk found this on tumblr and thought it was hilarious for some reason

Robin stops GL
#44 Posted by The_Tree (7207 posts) - - Show Bio

I love both. but I love Hal just a bit more.
I believe Batman did deserve that punch in Rebirth though, he was being a total douche.

#45 Posted by eiderglast (65 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt: yup, that sums it up... and might sound like it's one writer favoring a character over the other.

#46 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1026 posts) - - Show Bio

i like both...in fact the only 2 comic characters i actually "hated" was aquaman and ironman(the comic version)...but aquaman has been cool since the relaunch....

#47 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7542 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal trips me out when he makes fun of Batman having no powers.

#48 Posted by KenTheProfile (412 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jade1977:

The GLC are alright. the problem is the same problem hal jordan always had. it's that outright lie that if you really beilive in aple pie, baseball, truth, and the american way everything will be alright, that hal jordan represents, that bat fans hate. also it the idea that one can just be chosen to be a hero that turns people off. Hal is a hero without any real tragedy, it just something to do. Batman had a mission forced on to him by chance, not choice. in short hal represent a the lie of the american dream in a way even superman does not. same problem he had when he met greenarrow

#49 Edited by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

I HATE Hal Jordan, and I'm not even a Batman fan.

#50 Posted by OmegaRed86 (505 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is a douche. Hal Jordan FTW.