• 117 results
Posted by modernww2fare (889 posts) 4 months, 7 days ago

Who is the true voice of Batman? Kevin Conroy or Christian Bale? (116 votes)

Kevin Conroy 90%
Christian Bale 9%

Now I know what you're thinking, this is no contest and Kevin Conroy takes this easily. However, after having encountered people who actually prefer Bale's voice for Batman I want to know if there are people out here who think the same.

#1 Posted by SilverPool (827 posts) - - Show Bio

Listen I LOVE Christian Bale's Batman, and even like the voice at points... but c'mon.

#2 Posted by modernww2fare (889 posts) - - Show Bio

Listen I LOVE Christian Bale's Batman, and even like the voice at points... but c'mon.

I thought his voice was ok in "Batman Begins" but by TDK and TDKR I couldn't take his voice seriously anymore. Lol

#3 Edited by HumanRocket (4885 posts) - - Show Bio

Conroy = revisiting my childhood

#4 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

When I read Batman comics. I hear Conroy's voice in my head.

#5 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (4931 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Bale but Conroy easily.

#6 Posted by modernww2fare (889 posts) - - Show Bio

I still can't believe some people find Bale's voice better. I mean WTF?!!!

#7 Posted by SupBatz (1483 posts) - - Show Bio

I cannot imagine any comic book fan who is familiar with Batman outside of just Nolan's films would ever prefer Bale's voice to Conroy's.

...Like, ever...

#8 Edited by War Killer (19500 posts) - - Show Bio

#9 Posted by kgb725 (3441 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would you ask this

#10 Posted by batshrine (962 posts) - - Show Bio

I won't lie I am confused...

#11 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL. Conroy

#12 Posted by Wolverine08 (26782 posts) - - Show Bio

Cancer voice loses.

#13 Edited by Marionettegeist (1906 posts) - - Show Bio

#14 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

#15 Posted by Commander_Kane (715 posts) - - Show Bio

Conroy no contest. This is a waste of thread space.

#16 Posted by Mitrageist (7194 posts) - - Show Bio

I was never a fan of Bale's Batman voice. I did like how it differentiated from his Bruce Wayne voice, but it was just too gravelly-deep to take seriously. More confusing than anything else.

That said, Conroy is stomping pretty badly. I've never seen a stomp that bad in a poll. I've probably jinxed it now, but that many votes and Conroy at that high a percentage? Awesome.

#17 Posted by Xwraith (10926 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Edited by GeekBait (706 posts) - - Show Bio

...Conroy.

#19 Edited by VoodooPenguin (806 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither, but Bale is better.

#20 Posted by Mitrageist (7194 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL, Conroy is absolutely murdering. Well, murdering as much as the true voice of Batman can murder, of course.

#21 Edited by Fallschirmjager (11610 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as I'm concerned, no one has come close to playing a definitive Batman. Not like say Hugh Jackman has done for Wolverine.

...and I don't hear voices when I read comics.

#22 Posted by slade_wilson (297 posts) - - Show Bio

Conroy. He is Batman. Bale wasn't even Batman for me.

#23 Posted by JonSmith (3830 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see where the fans of Bale's voice are coming from: Bale sold the difference between Bruce and Batman. Whenever Bruce Wayne or Batman interact with someone who DOESN'T know the secret, but knows both of them, people think 'How do they not recognize his voice? This should be OBVIOUS.' Enter Bale, with a gravelly, monstrous rumble to his voice. He doesn't sound remotely similar to Bruce Wayne, selling that Batman is someone or something else entirely. The problem comes with how Bale was unable to replicate the voice from Batman Begins in the second and third films. Compare these two scenes where Batman's shouting:

Batman Begins:

To Dark Knight Rises:

Now that said.

Kevin Conroy is the one true Bat voice. He's got a bit of that rumble, but not much. More gravitas, less gravel.

#24 Posted by RDClip (1069 posts) - - Show Bio

Conroy because he sounded serious and intimidating. Bale sounded like an pissed off asthmatic with a soar throat.

And just cause:

#25 Edited by modernww2fare (889 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by ganon15 (1381 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

LOL, Conroy is absolutely murdering. Well, murdering as much as the true voice of Batman can murder, of course.

So much for his one rule Lol

#28 Posted by Black_Arrow (1910 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith: In Batman Begins the voice was so much better.

#29 Posted by RustyRoy (9243 posts) - - Show Bio

#30 Posted by modernww2fare (889 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith: In Batman Begins the voice was so much better.

It was. They should've left his voice alone.

#31 Posted by SilverPool (827 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have probably considered voting for Bale if they would have kept his voice like Batman Begins for the rest of the Trilogy. I actually really liked that voice then, before he went overboard with it.

SWEAR TO ME!!!!

#32 Edited by tupiaz (1975 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by VoodooPenguin (806 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: So because I don't agree with you, I'm a child?

#34 Posted by Black_Arrow (1910 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by tupiaz (1975 posts) - - Show Bio

No but it is most likely you grew up with Bale as Batman and not Conroy. I truly doubt that anyone that saw Batman TAS doing there youth would think Bale is a better Batman and therefore those you favourite Bale will be young.

#36 Posted by modernww2fare (889 posts) - - Show Bio

#37 Posted by VoodooPenguin (806 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: I didn't grow up with Bale. It's that Kevin Conroy sounds like he has a stuffy nose and gets better throughout his career. Christian Bale starts off really good and gets worse. IMO Bale never sounded absolutely terrible. I think that current Conroy is much better than TDKR Bale, though.
I don't hear either of their voices while reading though.

#38 Posted by tupiaz (1975 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz:

I didn't grow up with Bale. It's that Kevin Conroy sounds like he has a stuffy nose and gets better throughout his career. Christian Bale starts off really good and gets worse. IMO Bale never sounded absolutely terrible. I think that current Conroy is much better than TDKR Bale, though.

Well Batman is wearing a mask so there is that.

#39 Posted by modernww2fare (889 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz:

I didn't grow up with Bale. It's that Kevin Conroy sounds like he has a stuffy nose and gets better throughout his career. Christian Bale starts off really good and gets worse. IMO Bale never sounded absolutely terrible. I think that current Conroy is much better than TDKR Bale, though.

when did Conroy sound like he had a stuffed nose?

#40 Posted by Black_Arrow (1910 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

@voodoopenguin said:

No but it is most likely you grew up with Bale as Batman and not Conroy. I truly doubt that anyone that saw Batman TAS doing there youth would think Bale is a better Batman and therefore those you favourite Bale will be young.

Lol I didn't grew up with Conroy because I didn't live in a country that spoke english and The series was translated to my language. I decided to watch Batman Begins and The dark knight (with bale voice) and then I re-watched (batman Tas with Conroy voice) and I prefer Conroy voice so why does it matter the age.

#41 Posted by VoodooPenguin (806 posts) - - Show Bio

@modernww2fare: It was for a while at the beginning of his career. Maybe it was just me. Anyways, it's just my opinion. I'm absolutely fine with Conroy voicing most of the Batman roles.

#42 Edited by modernww2fare (889 posts) - - Show Bio

@modernww2fare: It was for a while at the beginning of his career. Maybe it was just me. Anyways, it's just my opinion. I'm absolutely fine with Conroy voicing most of the Batman roles.

You mean in BTAS?

#43 Edited by VoodooPenguin (806 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by tupiaz (1975 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

@voodoopenguin said:

Lol I didn't grew up with Conroy because I didn't live in a country that spoke english and The series was translated to my language. I decided to watch Batman Begins and The dark knight (with bale voice) and then I re-watched (batman Tas with Conroy voice) and I prefer Conroy voice so why does it matter the age.

Well I have done the same thing however people who tend to prefer bale is because they grew up with him and it has a nostalgic feeling towards Bale.

#45 Posted by VoodooPenguin (806 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: Here is my list from best to worst voice:
Modern Conroy
Batman Begins
TDK
TDKR
Early Conroy

#46 Edited by modernww2fare (889 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually liked that in BTAS Conroy actually would change his voice when Bruce became Batman, but I see what you mean about sounding like he had a stuffed nose. His voice was perfect in TNBA though. Here's a perfect example (just watch from 0:37 to 1:04)

#47 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2201 posts) - - Show Bio

Conroy

#48 Posted by Black_Claw (2816 posts) - - Show Bio

Who the hell voted the bad Cookie Monster impression as the true voice of Batman?

#49 Posted by youknowwhattodo (481 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sorry but Bale's Batvoice was at times distracting and more comical than serious, case in point his final scene with Joker. Conroy and it isn't even close.

#50 Edited by ganon15 (1381 posts) - - Show Bio