#1 Posted by Funkypanda123 (112 posts) - - Show Bio

I've just recently got into batman and he seems to be an interesting character. I've started with the animated series. So what comics should I read about batman?

#2 Edited by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

this is the way to go: http://www.comicvine.com/batman/4005-1699/guide/

Start with Batman: Year One, Long Halloween, and The Killing Joke.

If you wanna start with a series, start with the current New 52 Batman series by Scott Snyder, starting from issue #1

#3 Posted by LyraFay (2486 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Batman: Year One by Frank Miller
  • Batman: Hush by Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee
  • Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale
  • Batman: Dark Victory by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale
  • Batman: Haunted Knight by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale
  • The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller
  • Batman and The Monster Men/Mad Monk by Matt Wagner

Start with those.

#4 Posted by Funkypanda123 (112 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by LyraFay (2486 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by LordoftheNorth (1340 posts) - - Show Bio

Nearly everything by Morrison is awsome besides for Batman Inc stay away form that

#7 Edited by MasterDetective (806 posts) - - Show Bio

long haloween sucks hard.

#8 Posted by Vance Astro (91123 posts) - - Show Bio

Start with the New 52. Anything before that is irrelevant to the current Batman.

#9 Edited by Dud317 (286 posts) - - Show Bio

@vance_astro: I think I understand what you meant to say, but Snyder has repeatedly stated that Batman's back story preserves pre-52 events more than just about any other character. To say that anything before the New 52 is irrelevant is inaccurate.

@funkypanda123: What the other users have mentioned are pretty much the Batman 101 books. You may have noticed a pattern in the authors. Just about anything by Frank Miller, Jeph Loeb, Grant Morrisson, or Scott Snyder is fair game and generally critically acclaimed. Just some backup info on the authors for your information. Miller is most famous for reinventing Batman into the Dark Knight, the Batman we know today. Jeph Loeb continues this theme and helped reestablish some well known villains in the same fashion. Both served as major inspirations for the Nolan movies. Grant Morrisson remodernized Batman over the last five years or so and introduced us to a lot, being a huge influence on the New 52 Batman. Snyder wrote Detective pre-52, but took over the Batman book in the New 52. Only at the helm a few years, he's introduced us to new elements, characters, and histories we didn't know existed. He is considered by many to be the best Batman writer in years. If you're looking to get into more stories after the few that were mentioned, just google Morrisson Batman reading order, or Snyder Batman reading order, and that will provide you with a list of trades. Or you can come back here! Enjoy!

#10 Edited by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

Start with Year One, followed by Long Halloween and Dark Victory, then Killing Joke, Birth of the Demon, Son of the Demon, Hush, Arkham Asylum and the entire Morrison's run.

Start with the New 52. Anything before that is irrelevant to the current Batman.

You're telling him to skip majority of the best Batman stories?

#11 Posted by Vance Astro (91123 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

You're telling him to skip majority of the best Batman stories?

Yes. It would be the same for alot of characters that have existed almost as long as Batman. When people ask where they should start with Daredevil, most people say (Man Without Fear, Born Again,Guardian Devil etc.) but I would just recommend Waid's current run, Shadowland, Diggle's short run & Daredevil Reborn because they are the most relevant to what is happening with the character now and Marvel didn't even reboot.

@dud317 said:

@vance_astro: I think I understand what you meant to say, but Snyder has repeatedly stated that Batman's back story preserves pre-52 events more than just about any other character. To say that anything before the New 52 is irrelevant is inaccurate.

Changes have been made to Batman's supporting cast and his villains, so there are really big arcs from Batman's history like Knightfall, the Killing Joke, etc. wouldn't actually be relevant to what is going on with the Bat-Family right now. The biggest parts of the Killing Joke is the Joker's origin and Batgirl getting paralyzed. As far as we know the current Joker's origin may be different and Babs never got paralyzed in the New 52.

#12 Posted by tupiaz (2172 posts) - - Show Bio

@vance_astro: You should read stories because how good they are and not how "relevant" they are. Scott Snyder has just incorporated Dr. Death so I guess the old Batman stories from the 30's and 40's are the most relevant or checkout the old Owlman stories.

Reading Year One, Long Halloween, Killing Joke, Venom, Monster Men and Mad Monk would give a real good idea about what Batman is about and how he is as a Character and that is much more relevant than any current storyline.

#13 Edited by tupiaz (2172 posts) - - Show Bio

@funkypanda123 said:

I've just recently got into batman and he seems to be an interesting character. I've started with the animated series. So what comics should I read about batman?

Start with Year one a origin story that explains Batman nicely. Long Halloween is coming more or less just after year one and gives a nice introduction for many of his biggest villains. Dark Victory introduce Robin and is a good story. Venom is also an early story (however done in the late 80's) it shows how determined and his will power. Monster Men and Mad Monk are good stories however I'm not a fan of the art.

#14 Edited by danhimself (22318 posts) - - Show Bio

threads like this are why I consider the New 52 a failure....they're only 25 issues in and people have been asking where to start since like issue 3

@vance_astroBabs was paralyzed in the New 52....the Killing Joke still happened

#15 Posted by Dud317 (286 posts) - - Show Bio

@vance_astro: I didn't say there weren't any changes. However, Bane just recently referenced breaking the bat, perhaps it was in Arkham War. Also, in the very beginning of Batgirl New 52, one of the first things we learn is that Barbara just regained the use of her legs after being paralyzed. So we in fact do know much of what happened. Clearly, the unresolved issue, is the timeline.

I agree that some changes have been made. Mr. Freeze for example. But they're not all bad. It's probably better that Catwoman, arguably the most popular female in Gotham, no longer has the history of being a prostitute.

#16 Edited by Dud317 (286 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: I respectfully disagree. The way I see it, it brought it a lot of new readers that are becoming more interested in the back stories that we've loved for so long. Who better to ask than the professionals right?

#17 Posted by danhimself (22318 posts) - - Show Bio

@dud317 said:

@danhimself: I respectfully disagree. The way I see it, it brought it a lot of new readers that are becoming more interested in the back stories that we've loved for so long. Who better to ask than the professionals right?

I also disagree...probably the biggest reason DC gave for the reason behind the New 52 was to create a continuity free place for new readers to easily start reading....they've obviously failed in that

#18 Edited by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

@vance_astro: You should read stories because how good they are and not how "relevant" they are.

Reading Year One, Long Halloween, Killing Joke, Venom, Monster Men and Mad Monk would give a real good idea about what Batman is about and how he is as a Character and that is much more relevant than any current storyline.

This. If he doesn't read the old stuffs then he'll be missing out on all the great stories about Batman.

#19 Posted by Dud317 (286 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: that's a valid point. Especially when DC left it up to the writers of each book as to what remained canon, instead of establishing a base of some sort.

#20 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6163 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by Vance Astro (91123 posts) - - Show Bio
@tupiaz said:

@vance_astro: You should read stories because how good they are and not how "relevant" they are. Scott Snyder has just incorporated Dr. Death so I guess the old Batman stories from the 30's and 40's are the most relevant or checkout the old Owlman stories.

Batman has been good since the reboot and if Batman is a character you (speaking figuratively) will continue to persue, I personally think it makes sense for you to keep current first before you go backwards.

@vance_astro Babs was paralyzed in the New 52....the Killing Joke still happened

That's my mistake. What I meant is that she isn't Oracle. That kind of takes away from the impact of that arc. It's like reading House of M for the first time only to find out that most of the depowered mutants got their powers back. They did too much with "Batgirl" to just have Babs take that persona again and Oracle was developing into it's own persona for years.

#22 Posted by PunyParker (9031 posts) - - Show Bio
@lyrafay said:
  • Batman: Year One by Frank Miller
  • Batman: Hush by Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee
  • Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale
  • Batman: Dark Victory by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale
  • Batman: Haunted Knight by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale
  • The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller
  • Batman and The Monster Men/Mad Monk by Matt Wagner

Start with those.

Batman and the Monster Men isnt neccessary for a starter....i think at least.....the rest,yes....double yes.

And yeah,start Snyder's New 52 run......it's exceptional,and you can ceep up with the current continuity.

#23 Posted by PunyParker (9031 posts) - - Show Bio

If you wanna start with a series, start with the current New 52 Batman series by Scott Snyder, starting from issue #1

*issue #0

#24 Posted by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker: I know but issue 0 was released after issue 1 (during zero month)

#25 Edited by PunyParker (9031 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash said:

Didn't know that.Started reading the New 52 Bats,after Court Of Owls ended...
Still,should start from issue #0....helped me a lot.

#26 Posted by batmannflash (6192 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker: it doesn't matter when you read issue 0, but I guess you should read issue 0 first

#27 Posted by Funkypanda123 (112 posts) - - Show Bio

I just finished reading year one :D and I watched the animated flim Woooo thanks guys!

#28 Posted by CuddleBear (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman: Snow is about batman early on in his career. very underated

#29 Edited by LyraFay (2486 posts) - - Show Bio

@punyparker: That's true, I just really enjoyed monster men and mad monk because they were detective horror stories!! They deserved been animated or something. They're great stories!

#30 Posted by PunyParker (9031 posts) - - Show Bio

@lyrafay said:

@punyparker: That's true, I just really enjoyed monster men and mad monk because they were detective horror stories!! They deserved been animated or something. They're great stories!

That yes...of cource.

#31 Posted by danhimself (22318 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash said:

Didn't know that.Started reading the New 52 Bats,after Court Of Owls ended...

Still,should start from issue #0....helped me a lot.

issue zero was more of a setup to Zero Year...I would put it in between issues 20 and 21....it might fit in better between other issues of Zero Year but between 20 and 21 is better than at the beginning of the series as it has no ties to the Court of Owls stuff at all