#1 Posted by Slaze (35 posts) - - Show Bio

So I read somewhere that The Killing Joke is still relevant to the new continuity, I wondered if there were any other storylines that were still relevant, or is everybody in the dark about exactly what has happened?

#2 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

i heard that all story lines that were relevant before 52 for bats, is now releveant

#3 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

Short answer: we don't know

Long answer: us making ecuses for why we don't know and making a bunch of random guesses

So take your pick of answer

#4 Posted by danhimself (22626 posts) - - Show Bio

honestly...no one knows....a few months ago they said that this wasn't the first incarnation of the Teen Titans and then at Comic Con they said it was....first issue of Hawk and Dove references CoIE and then Didio comes out and says that none of the Crisis's happened...basically DC can pick and choose at certain times to say that things happened then later they'll tell us that they didn't

so far it's the only thing about the relaunch that I dislike

#5 Posted by Slaze (35 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for the replies, man this is annoying. It wouldn't take much for them to just draw up a timeline and let the readers know what has been carried over from the old continuity.

#6 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

It is far easier to say what hasn't happened then what has...

Gang War and Battle for the Cowl both didn't happen or happened in such a different way that might as well say it didn't.

Bruce, Tim, and Dick travelling around the world in 52 did not happen

Any story having to do with Cassandra Cain did not happen which means Bruce Wayne: Fugitive did not happen

Omac Project didn't happen

Infinite Crisis did not happen

Final Crisis is severely altered if it did happen

Young Justice, Teen Titans vol3, Batgirl vol 1-3, Red Robin, and Birds of Prey and Catwoman vol 1 to whatever it was on before now, all did not happen

Any story with Scarlet in it likely did not happen or is changed to remove the character.

Any story with Oracle in it did not happen or not the same way, for example the last Batman, Inc book... didn't happen

Gotham City Sirens didn't happen

Officer Down didn't happen

#7 Posted by entropy_aegis (15453 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything happened unless DC states otherwise.

#8 Edited by Slaze (35 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah right, I just don't want to get confused by reading something that isn't part of the new continuity. Are there any storylines I should read as a Batman newcomer ? I was thinking of grabbing these graphic novels: Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke, Long Halloween and possibly Arkham Asylum.

#9 Posted by fury714 (589 posts) - - Show Bio

All those are the essentials ;)

@topic: DC says all the crises did not happen and final crisis did not "kill" batman, then how come it's still stated in the Nightwing comic that he did replace bats for awhile? =/

#10 Posted by danhimself (22626 posts) - - Show Bio

@Durakken said:

It is far easier to say what hasn't happened then what has...

Gang War and Battle for the Cowl both didn't happen or happened in such a different way that might as well say it didn't.

Bruce, Tim, and Dick travelling around the world in 52 did not happen

Any story having to do with Cassandra Cain did not happen which means Bruce Wayne: Fugitive did not happen

Omac Project didn't happen

Infinite Crisis did not happen

Final Crisis is severely altered if it did happen

Young Justice, Teen Titans vol3, Batgirl vol 1-3, Red Robin, and Birds of Prey and Catwoman vol 1 to whatever it was on before now, all did not happen

Any story with Scarlet in it likely did not happen or is changed to remove the character.

Any story with Oracle in it did not happen or not the same way, for example the last Batman, Inc book... didn't happen

Gotham City Sirens didn't happen

Officer Down didn't happen

why would the stuff that involved Cassandra Cain not happen? She still exists

same with the Oracle stuff...Barbara was still Oracle

#11 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

honestly...no one knows....a few months ago they said that this wasn't the first incarnation of the Teen Titans and then at Comic Con they said it was....first issue of Hawk and Dove references CoIE and then Didio comes out and says that none of the Crisis's happened...basically DC can pick and choose at certain times to say that things happened then later they'll tell us that they didn't

so far it's the only thing about the relaunch that I dislike

Absolutly correct and this goes for some writers more than others. if you ask lobdell if something happend to tim drake for an example he'll say

I don't see why not

then say if it contrast what he writes he'll remove it later

#12 Posted by Afro_Warrior (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

@Durakken: You've made two mistakes there that i can see. Battle for the cowl did happen and Barbara was Oracle for a while. I cannot comment on the rest of the things you listed as i don't know.

@Slade: The general message regarding Batman so far is that most of his history (especially the major stuff like the Killing Joke and Long Halloween) did happen, but the time span has been greatly compressed to something like six or seven years.

This is from DC's FAQ

* Does The New 52 undo events or continuity that I’ve been reading?
Some yes, some no. But many of the great stories remain. For example – Batgirl. The Killing Joke still happened and she was Oracle. Now she will go through physical rehabilitation and become a more seasoned and nuanced character because she had these incredible and diverse experiences.

#13 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@Afro_Warrior said:

@Durakken: You've made two mistakes there that i can see. Battle for the cowl did happen and Barbara was Oracle for a while. I cannot comment on the rest of the things you listed as i don't know.

@Slade: The general message regarding Batman so far is that most of his history (especially the major stuff like the Killing Joke and Long Halloween) did happen, but the time span has been greatly compressed to something like six or seven years.

This is from DC's FAQ

* Does The New 52 undo events or continuity that I’ve been reading?
Some yes, some no. But many of the great stories remain. For example – Batgirl. The Killing Joke still happened and she was Oracle. Now she will go through physical rehabilitation and become a more seasoned and nuanced character because she had these incredible and diverse experiences.

No Barbara was never Oracle in DCnU. Read Batgirl which has no mention of her and she doesn't act as if she was Oracle either. She doesn't act like and there is no mention any where in the books thus she was never Oracle

Also I didn't say Battle for the Cowl didn't happen I said it was massively changed to the point where it might as well be considered as not happening as most of the actors of the book are massively changed or don't exist

#14 Posted by Afro_Warrior (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

@Durakken: I might concede the point about Battle for the Cowl. Since it is likely to have been tweaked to fit into the new universe, so you may have a point there. But Barbara was definately Oracle during the years she was paralysed by Joker. The quote i posted previously comes directly from DC. So while it may not have been mentioned in Batgirl #1 she was definately Oracle for a period.

#15 Posted by BloodTalon (440 posts) - - Show Bio

@Slaze: The bottom line is we don't know that is the problem with the reboot not being a clean break from the old continuity DC can pick and choose what has happened and we won't know until we read it in a book not an interview. My suggestion would be to just read it and see how it unfolds and as far as the old stories most of them were good so read them and enjoy

#16 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@Afro_Warrior said:

@Durakken: I might concede the point about Battle for the Cowl. Since it is likely to have been tweaked to fit into the new universe, so you may have a point there. But Barbara was definately Oracle during the years she was paralysed by Joker. The quote i posted previously comes directly from DC. So while it may not have been mentioned in Batgirl #1 she was definately Oracle for a period.

Now she will go through physical rehabilitation and become a more seasoned and nuanced character because she had these incredible and diverse experiences.

She didn't go through rehab, not is she more seasoned or nuanced. She in fact is less nuanced and less seasoned.

Also they said that all the major events happened but now they are saying Infinite Crisis didn't... and rightfully so cuz it couldn't have without Superboy.

I can't look at Birds of Prey and Batgirl and resolve that with there having ever been an Oracle because they don't like it nor do they state.

In other words "they" lied, and knew they were. simply to soften the reaction that they knew they'd get from so many trash decisions...

#17 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Most Batman stories are cannon. Crisis' aren't though as well as a bunch of Superman and Wonderwoman.

#18 Edited by bigboi100000 (224 posts) - - Show Bio

You're just so full of crap.

#19 Edited by TDK_1997 (14985 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a messed up continuity but most of the events have happened and are relevant.

#20 Posted by bigtewell (749 posts) - - Show Bio

for batman i know knightfall happened killing joke was somewhat altered since joker has a different origin now battle for the cowl happened since dick was batman batman n son happened i believe and i think long halloween happened. as for flash none of his old stories are really relevant. idk about wonder woman never read her. justice league not sure since they made almost no past references. green lantern everything happened since absolutely nothing changed except the lineup and costumes.