Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: What is the most important aspect of a Batman story: a mystery, a villain, or a relationship? (25 votes)

Mystery 40%
Villain 24%
Relationship 24%
Other? 12%

Every Batman story includes all three of these things, but which is most important to you? Personally, I appreciate mystery most, especially the mystery surrounding Holiday's identity in The Long Halloween. But, I also find that exploring Batman's villains' psyches, such as the Joker in The Killing Joke, is just as thought provoking. Batman's own character, especially revealed through relationships with Catwoman--in Batman: Hush--and Alfred--everything? lol--, is just as interesting though. These are just the three I could think of, so if you don't agree with any, select other and feel free to tell me your opinion!

#1 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

All three at once.

#2 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

voted mystery

#4 Posted by xtremekidx (576 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally go for the mystery aspect of a story.that is why i prefer the long halloween as my favourite batman story....the villain could make it interesting but that is quite rare to have a villain be potrayed as masterfully as in the killing joke....

#5 Posted by thejman250 (154 posts) - - Show Bio

- I'll have to say "other".

#6 Posted by TDK_1997 (14395 posts) - - Show Bio

A good Batman story should include all of these into one.There shouldn't be too much mystery and less touching moments or a stupid villain with a big mystery.

#7 Posted by consolemaster001 (4893 posts) - - Show Bio

Mystery

#8 Posted by rolldestroyer (3508 posts) - - Show Bio

definitely mystery

#9 Posted by entropy_aegis (14108 posts) - - Show Bio

Just a well written story,as far as mysteries are concerned most of them are half assed(Loeb,Snyder).

#10 Posted by Twentyfive (2739 posts) - - Show Bio

Villains.

Batman is nothing without the villains.

I mean, this goes for every hero, pretty much, but Batman's villains are so standout-ish that his stories can thrive off his villains alone. If they are decently written.

#11 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by End_Boss (725 posts) - - Show Bio

Mystery is the correct answer, which is something most Batman writers have forgotten. Remember, Bats got his start in Detective Comics, not "Brooding Billionaire Beats Up Bad Guys" Comics. The worst thing is when you realize that the real villain behind the Batman tale you're reading is going to end up being some random mook that you had no inclination to suspect. Cheap red herring crap.

#13 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, my favorite batman stories are the ones that expand on his character and show his relationship with other characters like robin, catwoman, superman etc. So, i voted relationship

#14 Edited by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

Villains.

Batman is nothing without the villains.

I mean, this goes for every hero, pretty much, but Batman's villains are so standout-ish that his stories can thrive off his villains alone. If they are decently written.

this right here.

#15 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

To clarify, I think all three of the categories are essential to a good Batman story, and a good story always combines each element. What I care about is which is your favorite element? The category you should vote for is the one that is most important to your favorite Bat-story. I voted for mystery, because my favorite story--The Long Halloween--focused on a mystery.

@end_boss said:

Mystery is the correct answer, which is something most Batman writers have forgotten. Remember, Bats got his start in Detective Comics, not "Brooding Billionaire Beats Up Bad Guys" Comics. The worst thing is when you realize that the real villain behind the Batman tale you're reading is going to end up being some random mook that you had no inclination to suspect. Cheap red herring crap.

That's the reason I started this thread. I wish Batman was solving more puzzles and uncovering more secrets (kind of like the first arc of Court of Owls), and I want to see what other fans want in a Batman story.

#16 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Villains, with Mystery following as a close second. I almost exclusively read Bat-books for those two things.

#17 Posted by SupBatz (1671 posts) - - Show Bio

All of the above. But I voted relationships. Not just romantic but his relationships with his partners, with friends (i.e. Alfred, Gordon), with his villains etc. are what draw me to Batman stories. I can do without mystery for the most part because we seldom get a worthwhile mystery nowadays so long as the plot is good and the characters are even more better.