Too much Bat-Family? -- (read description before voting)

Avatar image for perchance2dream
Perchance2Dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll Too much Bat-Family? -- (read description before voting) (57 votes)

Yeah, that actually sounds like an okay idea... 47%
No way man, I like the Batfamily AS IS. You know, with Batman, Alfred, Batgirl, Batwing, Batwoman, Dick Grayson, Robin (Damian Wayne), Red Hood, Red Robin, Blue Bird, and the Spoiler. 40%
meh. (I'm indifferent.) 12%

Not that DC writers would ever do this, but with Convergence right around the corner, am I the only one who thinks the Bat-Family could benefit from being slimned down? I feel like a smaller cast of heroes in Gotham would bring Batman back-to-basics and be a step towards cleaning cluttered storytelling. so what do you think? Would it be cool if we found ourselves with a reduced cast of only Batman, Alfred, Dick Grayson, Batgirl, and (maybe) Damian?

• 
MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Batwoman, Spoiler, Batwing and Blue Bird are not really part of the family.

Avatar image for theamazingbatman760
TheAmazingBatman760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should have stopped after the death of Jason Todd.

Valdemocnij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Valdemocnij

@muyjingo:

Batwoman have to be... At least she is his (Batman) real cousin :)

and yea... to answer... Batman have to step across his limits of darkness once and for all... to be a bad guy.... not evil, not good... somewhere in the middle ! At least when u hear that name BATMAN it sound like it ! No more sidekicks, Alfred gonna to die... he finally have to step in darkness to be that...

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am happy as long as we are getting interesting character.

Perchance2Dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingbatman760: I would honestly have been okay with that :) (so long as we still got some post-Jason Dick and Batman stories, ala Legends of The Dark Knight or a similar format)

batzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YES! Alfred, Nightwing, Batgirl, and Damian would be so aweome. After that it just gets to be too much.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@muyjingo said:

Batwoman, Spoiler, Batwing and Blue Bird are not really part of the family.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that most of them should just leave Gotham rather than Die(Jason-my boy I'm looking at you) or Give up the suit(You hear me dicky?)

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with everything you said. The exact members you mentioned are the only ones I feel should be in the Bat family (Batman, Alfred, Dick Grayson, Batgirl, and Damian (he basically encompasses Tim and Jason)).

Dr_Cheesesteak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Dr_Cheesesteak

Some ppl think the large Batfamily cast is potentially good for the Bats "brand" and DC. Some compare it to the X-Men in the 90s, thinking it can be like the new big comic family to reach the younger crowds and even general masses.

I think the potential is there. DC is sitting on a multimedia gold mine w/ Grayson. Robin, as a concept character, is arguably just as known to the general public as Batman, give him more publicity or merchandise. Batgirl can carry her own TV show. A Gotham cartoon series would be cool, focusing on the supporting cast members. And so on and so on.

While it may saturate DC's general line, the latest Bats line titles show it can still bring diverse characters and genres to the Gotham family. I personally don't mind it the over-saturation of Gotham, as long as there is some diversity. Yeah, DC has other fictional cities it can explore, but if just having that small tie to Gotham/Batman allows fringe comics like Gotham by Midnight and Gotham Academy to exist and survive, then I'm all for it.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#11  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

No Tim Drake=No deal for me

Edit= on second thought, I could live with it as long as I could get a well written Tim Drake in some shape or form somewhere else

TheParadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who's spoiler?

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nop, not all the characters that are Bat related are members of the Bat family, its like saying all metahumans are Avengers.

ArkhamWrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dr_Cheesesteak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dr_cheesesteak:

Is your avatar cover of some comic book ?

nah, it's a commission piece. Not sure how much the artist got paid for it. Financially, at least. He sure did pay for it in the PR department, though, unfortunately.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

DC should get rid of some Bat-Family books and add some new books like Blue Beetle or The Atom.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Who's spoiler?

Stephanie Brown, a former Robin and Batgirl. In the new 52, though, she started off as Spoiler.

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perchance2dream: As far as I know, most of the actual Bat-family members are rarely even mentioned in the majority of Batman books. In the main title the core members have only been featured for a few issues in Death of the Family and these last few installments of Endgame. Other than that, Grayson has only made a cameo in Court of Owls.

Other than Batman and Robin the other "Batman" comics don't really feature members of the Bat family. They've all been off doing their own thing in other comics like Teen Titans and Grayson. Besides, they're very interesting characters in their own right.

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I quite like the current line up as it is, it has diversity with Gotham Academy and Gotham by Midnight. Also it's not like every book features Batman all the time, just a few tie ins.

Perchance2Dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Perchance2Dream

@perchance2dream: As far as I know, most of the actual Bat-family members are rarely even mentioned in the majority of Batman books. In the main title the core members have only been featured for a few issues in Death of the Family and these last few installments of Endgame. Other than that, Grayson has only made a cameo in Court of Owls.

Other than Batman and Robin the other "Batman" comics don't really feature members of the Bat family. They've all been off doing their own thing in other comics like Teen Titans and Grayson. Besides, they're very interesting characters in their own right.

You're mostly right. It's just the extended Bat Family is, imo, responsible for most of the cluttered storytelling throught Batman Eternal. :P it could've been way better.

Perchance2Dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC should get rid of some Bat-Family books and add some new books like Blue Beetle or The Atom.

Agreed :p will never happen though!

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By deathstroke52

@deathstroke52 said:

Agreed :p will never happen though!

Yeah :(

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@battle_forum_junkie said:

You're mostly right. It's just the extended Bat Family is, imo, responsible for most of the cluttered storytelling throught Batman Eternal. :P it could've been way better.

Ah, well I haven't read Batman Eternal. Is it worth a purchase?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@dr_cheesesteak: I agree with everything you said, you delicious sounding bastard.

Perchance2Dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@battle_forum_junkie: if you have the money lying around to pick up the collected edition... why not? But no, I'm not necessarily sure I can recommend it, unless you're just a huge fan of Alfred and confounded by continuity. (Which Convergence is changing, anyways.) There are some really great moments in the art and storytelling, but I'd say they're sometimes few and far between. The pacing is horribly uneven and that art grossly inconsistent. :P all that said, I don't regret collecting the entire run, lol.

Would get if: you like Alfred, Stephanie Brown as Spoiler, Hush, absurdly complex evil schemes

Would not get if: you lack the patience for wading through numerous artists and writers, or you're strapped for cash.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BatWoman, BatWing and Spoiler arent members of the Batfamily.

They are friends.

BatGirl it more like a cousin or something like that.

Alfred needs his own series!!!

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perchance2dream: I might have to pick it up at a later date then. :P Thanks for the info, though, I appreciate it.

Convergence won't be changing any continuity, by the way. It's basically just a re-numbering.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By Darling_Luna

Yep too many cooks

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@battle_forum_junkie: if you have the money lying around to pick up the collected edition... why not? But no, I'm not necessarily sure I can recommend it, unless you're just a huge fan of Alfred and confounded by continuity. (Which Convergence is changing, anyways.) There are some really great moments in the art and storytelling, but I'd say they're sometimes few and far between. The pacing is horribly uneven and that art grossly inconsistent. :P all that said, I don't regret collecting the entire run, lol.

Would get if: you like Alfred, Stephanie Brown as Spoiler, Hush, absurdly complex evil schemes

Would not get if: you lack the patience for wading through numerous artists and writers, or you're strapped for cash.

Thanks for the heads up. Was wondering whether to pick up "Batman Eternal". l have been collecting "Batman" and "Detective" since the early 80's and still enjoy reading those titles. "Legends Of The Dark Knight" was a great series too.

Perchance2Dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Perchance2Dream

BatWoman, BatWing and Spoiler arent members of the Batfamily.

They are friends.

Alfred needs his own series

I feel like that's just semantics... "Batfriends"/family. If they wear the mantle of the Bat with Bruce's approval and they protect Gotham, I consider them Batfamily. Agreed though, about the Alfred comment! :)

@perchance2dream:

Convergence won't be changing any continuity, by the way. It's basically just a re-numbering.

No problem! :D

I know it's a renumbering and not a "hard reboot," but DC *has* said they are going to use the opportunity to loosen up on some of the continuity.

Yep too many cooks

^^^My thoughts exactly :P

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perchance2Dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: Here's a couple different definitions of the word family:

"a group of people united in criminal activity.

a group of objects united by a significant shared characteristic."

The Batfamily as I described definitely are united by shared characteristics, and vigilantism is most definitely illegal. Boom. "Family" on two counts :P although I think this is an "agree to disagree" type situation. If you don't consider all those people I listed as Batfamily, great, but that wasn't really the point of my original post :P (I can definitely see the argument that Batwoman isn't a part of the family, though, as she's largely independent!)

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think the Batfamily is too big, at least not as long as everybody has his own series.

The problem at the moment is in my opinion that the "family dynamic" between the core members is still not completely reestablished and that the series that would have been the ideal opportunity to do this (Batman: Eternal) was used to introduce and showcase new characters.

Perchance2Dream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Perchance2Dream

@aahz: really good point! I haven't really thought of that before.

LeRizador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree, way too many people...it shud be

Batman, Alfred, Dick Grayson, Batgirl, and (maybe) Damian?

With Jason Todd death being 100% definite and damian getting darker but not evil

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Batman's Batfamily is fine just as is.

VenomousTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joker was right.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only consider the Bat family the Robins and Alfred.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Aahz
@perchance2dream said:

But it is really someting that that needs to be done.

It is for example still not defined what the relationship of Tim to Dick and Barbara is like or what the relationship between Barbara and Damian is like.

The Jasons and Barbaras trip to South America in Eternal was in principle exact the right idea, it was just poorly executed. (If they had left El Gaucho and Batwoman, this romance that felt just completely wrong and this "Batgirl is so much better than all Robins" stuff out of it, and came up with a better flashback than the "you are no Dick Grayson", it could have been a pretty decent story line). And there are more team ups like this needed.

And I still think that Jason, Tim and Barabara shoud each get at least one story from the beginning of their career like the one Dick got in Batman and Robin Annual #2.

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

@aahz said:
@perchance2dream said:

But it is really someting that that needs to be done.

It is for example still not defined what the relationship of Tim to Dick and Barbara is like or what the relationship between Barbara and Damian is like.

The Jasons and Barbaras trip to South America in Eternal was in principle exact the right idea, it was just poorly executed. (If they had left El Gaucho and Batwoman, this romance that felt just completely wrong and this "Batgirl is so much better than all Robins" stuff out of it, and came up with a better flashback than the "you are no Dick Grayson", it could have been a pretty decent story line). And there are more team ups like this needed.

And I still think that Jason, Tim and Barabara shoud each get at least one story from the beginning of their career like the one Dick got in Batman and Robin Annual #2.

I know what you mean, the Zero Issues were good at introducing how they transitioned from who they were to their alter egos but seeing short stories of them in the beginning of their careers would be cool to see.