Thoughts on a Batman costume idea

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, Halloween is coming up, and I'm thinking of being Batman.

I'd like to make a high quality costume, and have been thinking of some variations of the normal style that I think would work quite well.

• I would want the cowl attached to the cape, and able to lift back easily. There have been many different batsuits, but I always liked the ones that allowed Bruce to simply lift the cowl up and have it behind him.
  • I am also looking at a way to have eye slits slide down and be illuminated with white light. The sliding down and illuminated part is not difficult, I just have to find a material I could see through.
  • I'm thinking of basically getting rid of any yellow on the costume. I love the yellow utility belt, but I think it's hard to justify on a kind of real world stealth costume, which is what I would be going for.
  • At the moment for clothing, I am thinking of having a grey compression shirt with the Hush batsymbol on it, over a chain mail shirt to give it an interesting visual texture. These would be over a long sleeve black shirt.
  • Then maybe long black compression pants, with darker boxer briefs over the top. Black military boots and gloves with gauntlets should complete the basic look.
  • I'm considering adding Velcro to the cape (made of nylon) and to gloves, so they can be attached as needed.
  • I thinking of maybe making a shirt that could alternate between black and grey, depending how visible I wanted to be. Although I'm not sure if thermal clothing actually allows for that.
  • Was also thinking of changing the costume colors to be all black but with a grey bat symbol and utility belt.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

TheBakeBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made a suit similar to this, but I used thick craft foam to sculpt an under armor type thing to wear under the compression shirt to add some bulk

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thebakeboss: I thought about something like that, but I think I'm in good enough shape that the compression stuff should look OK. I'm curious what the chainmail underneath will look like, I haven't tried it but I'm hoping it will look similar to the weird advanced mesh stuff his costume tends to be made out of in modern comics.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MuyJingo
No Caption Provided

That's the kind of thing I'm thinking of.

What do you guys think? Too much of a departure?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just feel it's a lot of dark, but otherwise fine. I would have kept the yellow belt, but alternative the bronze-ish Nolan one would break effectively, I think.

But then again, my favourite batsuits are the Beyond and Brave and The Bold, so that's just my oddball observation.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

I just feel it's a lot of dark, but otherwise fine. I would have kept the yellow belt, but alternative the bronze-ish Nolan one would break effectively, I think.

But then again, my favourite batsuits are the Beyond and Brave and The Bold, so that's just my oddball observation.

I am basing this on a design I would like to see in a movie, so not on any specific version.

My thinking is without the yellow chest highlighting to serve as a target, the utility belt area could draw fire, which isn't a great idea since it's near the crotch area.

Agree it's dark, but doesn't that make sense for a ninja/vigilante who hides in shadows?

A lot of bats look more grey than black also, which I think somewhat justifies it.

It would be hard to find the right levels of contrast, but I think it could work.