The Single Greatest Batman Story Ever Published!

tcrighton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tcrighton

In these forums, there are people with an immense knowledge of Batman that minuscules my own; as such, I would like to know, from the forum, what Batman story they regard as the single greatest to ever be published. Consider the importance/contribution it holds for the Batman mythos as a whole, or, even greater, the importance it has for the real world; also, give a reason supporting your choice. I welcome everyone from Batman novice to veteran expert. Happy sharing!

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Batman RIP.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman RIP is pretty fantastic, with all of its complexity and little details. Its not my favorite batman story but it is definitely one of the best ones.

Dr_Cheesesteak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Since I actually read your OP and understand the criteria, it's obviously The Dark Knight Returns.

But I could support Batman RIP if you take away the "contribution/importance" factor.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

RIP is a very nice read.

I still have to go with No Man's Land.

10/10 for me.

redleader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say black glove and rip together are the greatest but honestly I think the greatest batman study hell greatest batman THING is "last rites". It references every element of the character lovingly and is about why we love batman so much, it always hits me emotionally when I read it.

tcrighton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redleader1 said:

I would say black glove and rip together are the greatest but honestly I think the greatest batman study hell greatest batman THING is "last rites". It references every element of the character lovingly and is about why we love batman so much, it always hits me emotionally when I read it.

Is Last Rites collected anywhere? I have read the Batman issues collected in RIP but not the other issues.

redleader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tcrighton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redleader1: I know the Batman issues are collected in the RIP trade, but the issues from Robin, Nightwing, and Detective Comics are not.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Man who Falls.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Batman Hush.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

My personal favorite is Court of Owls

tec79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love RIP but would like to suggest Arkham Asylum. Morrisons' first Batman work is self contained and had an impact on the comic industry. Neil Gaimans Whatever Happened to The Caped Crusader two part story from the Morrison era is a personal favorite and a work I feel doesn't receive nearly the recognition that it deserves.

Since the Dark Knight Returns has already been mentioned I would cast a vote for Year One the definitive origin of Batman and perhaps the greatest origin story in comics.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Earth One

TakeLuutzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aside from comics Mask of the Phantasm has a special place in my heart. Nostalgia aside, but just the idea that Bruce has this plan to become Batman, but meets this girl who totally f's up his plan..
Bruce crying at his parents grave and asking if he could break his vow and live happily ever after.. Damn, that is some solid writing! Paul Dini, the boss