#1 Edited by novi_homines (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

With Iron Man 3 coming out soon capping off the trilogy, I decided to watch another trilogy, The Dark Knight trilogy, and it was a TREAT. Watching all 3 movies in one sitting allowed me to truly differentiate the quality from one film to the next. The high point of the series was without a doubt The Dark Knight. I truly forgot how spectacular that film was. It was a roller coaster ride throughout the entire movie, definitely one of the best comic book movies ever made. However one thing seemed blatantly obvious to me watching all 3 together, the other two movies are extremely overrated.

Now let it be known that this is all in my personal opinion. Let it also be known that I see the Dark Knight as the second greatest comic book movie ever made! Would have easily taken first place if it had not been for The Avengers. Simply for making my dream as a comic book fan come true in making an Avengers movie (who woulda thought?), and making history with the entire plan it had leading up to it, and executing it flawlessly.

Batman Begins was a good movie, but in comparison to the astounding dark knight movie as well as rival origin story Iron Man 1, it simply did not compare. The worst of the trilogy is easily The Dark Knight Rises. After watching it in the theaters, I remember the gut reaction of disappointment. I had not watched it since then, and now, I have confirmed my feelings on the movie. It was boring, drawn out, and simply underwhelming. It was riddled with plot holes, and Bale's bat voice had to be some of the most cringe worthy moments in all of comic book movies. Being the last one of the 3, it left a somewhat bad taste in my mouth on the trilogy. I had to pull from the brilliance that was the Dark Knight, in order to appreciate the trilogy, then I realized that as a trilogy, it simply is not as good as it is made out to be. Alot of people seem to use the Dark Knight's greatness to elevate the other 2 onto a legendary status. Breaking the movies apart, Batman Begins was good but not spectacular, outshined by other origin stories such as Iron Man and even Thor (in my seemingly unpopular opinion). And the Dark Knight rises was an underwhelming conclusion to the trilogy, the worst of the 3, and didn't cap off the series the way it should have. Overall, The Dark Knight is easily the best comic book story told thus far, but The Dark Knight Trilogy, however,is simply overrated.

So what do you guys think? I'm sure some would agree with my claims, i'm sure others would prefer another movie not even stated here as some of their favorite comic book movies of all time. But that's the fun part, seeing what movies connected with other people. After all, our disagreements is what makes us all human. I would greatly like to hear your opinions on the trilogy and on my opinions as well. =)

#2 Posted by sinestro_GL (3567 posts) - - Show Bio

@novi_homines:

Overall, The Dark Knight is easily the best comic book story told thus far, but The Dark Knight Trilogy, however,is simply overrated.

That's actually a very effective way to put it.

Overall, I pretty much agree with everything you said, especially about 'Rises', though I'm not as big as a fan of the Dark Knight as you, but I admit it is a good movie. Personally, Mask of the Phantasm is my favourite Batman film (yes, it was released in cinemas), but Superman, for me is THE comic book movie of the ages.

#3 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (16314 posts) - - Show Bio

Have you seen all the other superhero movies?

Ironman Trilogy was pretty damn lame, without Robert Downey Jr. there would be a good reason to see this movies?.

Captain America was awfully boring.

Thor was fun in one half, but the other half was horrible.

The Spiderman trilogy is the most overrated trilogy of supehero movies ever.

The X Men Franchise hits as muchs at it fails.

Avengers had to be the most Overrated movies ever made, it beats Citizen Kane, Vertigo, 2001 and others by far.

Is not the Batman trilogy is the whole Superhero genre the one that is overrated.

Lets be honest, most of superheroe movies are generic action movies that people say are better that actually are.

#4 Edited by novi_homines (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

Have you seen all the other superhero movies?

Ironman Trilogy was pretty damn lame, without Robert Downey Jr. there would be a good reason to see this movies?.

Captain America was awfully boring.

Thor was fun in one half, but the other half was horrible.

The Spiderman trilogy is the most overrated trilogy of supehero movies ever.

The X Men Franchise hits as muchs at it fails.

Avengers had to be the most Overrated movies ever made, it beats Citizen Kane, Vertigo, 2001 and others by far.

Is not the Batman trilogy is the whole Superhero genre the one that is overrated.

Lets be honest, most of superheroe movies are generic action movies that people say are better that actually are.

Well, rather than tackling all this, i'll just say that I respectfully disagree sir

#5 Posted by ahulk (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not sure if the word "trilogy" comes with a baggage. When watched individually with long enough time between them, I think they are pretty solid, entertaining movies.

#6 Posted by roboadmiral (563 posts) - - Show Bio

I quite liked all three movies and thought they were very good. If there's going to be any complaint about the Bat-Voice, it doesn't belong in criticisms of Batman Begins. It was at its most mild there and got ramped way up in in The Dark Knight. I thought the series did quite a good job of making Bruce Wayne a rounded and empathetic character when outside the costume, largely well casted and well acted (Rachel Dawes aside, she was a perpetually annoying character and I couldn't make heads or tales of appeal to Bruce). But, facilitated by the internet, this is the day and age of the extremely loud and vocal minority. Not to say the OPs opinion is wrong (he's allowed to dislike things), but that the nature of the thread will likely attract like-minded individuals, creating a false impression that it is a widely held opinion.

#7 Posted by KnightRise (4811 posts) - - Show Bio

Objectively, yes they had flaws, but I'd still consider them masterpeices to degree. Its annoying when people look for holes in a film for no other reason than that its' (albiet hyped) popularity, then claim distain toward "the fanboys".

Subjectively, I CRE*M MY PANTS WHEN I POP THOSE BADBOYS IN THE BLURAY PLAYER YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH BUDDY I LOVE ME SOME NOLAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahem, now that I've regained my composure: I have two tattoos direct from the trilogy, and plan on one more. I loved it. I couldn't care less what the internet has to say. Thats not were my opinions come from.

#8 Posted by The Stegman (29605 posts) - - Show Bio

It has it's flaws, but ultimately I think the trilogy was amazing, and together (if you read them as one large movie) was the best story involving a superhero ever told on the big screen.

#9 Edited by novi_homines (1432 posts) - - Show Bio

@roboadmiral said:

I quite liked all three movies and thought they were very good. If there's going to be any complaint about the Bat-Voice, it doesn't belong in criticisms of Batman Begins. It was at its most mild there and got ramped way up in in The Dark Knight. I thought the series did quite a good job of making Bruce Wayne a rounded and empathetic character when outside the costume, largely well casted and well acted (Rachel Dawes aside, she was a perpetually annoying character and I couldn't make heads or tales of appeal to Bruce). But, facilitated by the internet, this is the day and age of the extremely loud and vocal minority. Not to say the OPs opinion is wrong (he's allowed to dislike things), but that the nature of the thread will likely attract like-minded individuals, creating a false impression that it is a widely held opinion.

Exactly the reason why I didn't state my claims in the title of the thread, didn't want to put off fans. A proper discussion requires both sides. And I guess it worked because it attracted you. =P

#10 Posted by thejman251 (437 posts) - - Show Bio

- I'd say that the trilogy was utter garbage and i honestly do not want another attempt at a Batman film to take place as i'm quite tired of viewing ridiculous drivel.

#11 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (7800 posts) - - Show Bio

They were great except for Rises I really loved Nolan films, Spiderman trilogy yes even crappy 3, and the Marvel Cinematic universe, super hero movies are just meant to be great I guess.

#12 Posted by RustyRoy (14938 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed all three movies and consider BB as the best origin movie, TDK as the best CBM as well as one of the best movies ever made and TDKR as one of the few great threequels. The TDK trilogy is best CBM trilogy and one of the best trilogies of all time in my opinion.

#13 Posted by InertialAdric (2 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dark Knight Rises was just awful. Plot holes, wooden acting, overhyped, a horrific conclusion. The only movie more disappointing was The Hobbit.

#14 Posted by Veshark (9326 posts) - - Show Bio

While I do agree to a certain extent that the Dark Knight Trilogy is overrated, I still maintain that it is the best superhero trilogy so far. Nothing surpasses it, and these three movies really elevated the superhero from summer blockbusters into something with real depth and real characters. Now I'm not discounting other superhero films, and I'm not saying I want every movie to be gritty-realistic-drama in the fashion of this trilogy, but I am saying that it should be considered special simply for standing apart from the others. Till date, this is probably my favorite superhero trilogy, and I would argue, the best.

Overall, I think you hit the proverbial nail on its head for Batman Begins (Great, but not incredible) and the Dark Knight (best comic-book movie, period). I know you have some issue with Batman being not that much of a thinker as his comic-book counterpart, but I still maintain that this depiction is equally entertaining, even if it doesn't have the genius nature of the DCU Batman. As I said before, I don't think his characterization was 'butchered', but that a less-experienced and more human Batman was being showcased here.

As for the Dark Knight Rises, the first time watching it I was quite pumped, but the second time was less than spectacular, and I actually felt let-down. But on my third and recent viewing, I actually enjoyed it quite a fair bit again. While I will admit that it has some flaws like a few plot holes (I still don't get why Batman made a flaming Bat sign...was that really needed?) and uncomfortable Goyer-esque dialogue, I still thought that it was a good superhero movie. Despite the uneveness of the tale, I think some credit has to be given to the scope of the plot. It takes its influences from No Man's Land and Knightfall, and wraps the entire trilogy up neatly - the idea that Batman is a symbol, not a man, and that Bruce Wayne wants a life beyond being a superhero. I thought that the acting was actually great all around (shoutouts to Michael Caine and Anne Hathaway), and I may be one of the few who actually enjoyed Hardy as Bane. Sure, it wasn't exactly the comic-book Bane, but I found him to be an intimidating presence throughout. And it tied in quite nicely to Batman Begins - it was the ultimate conclusion of Batman thematically, essentially going from a vigilante to an all-out superhero who fights in an urban war. Also, one can't deny the many awesome moments in this movie - from the Bane fight, to Bats escaping the pit, to every scene with Catwoman.

Basically, what I'm saying is that despite all of its flaws, I still found the movie to be very entertaining. It's certainly a margin better than the bulk of superhero movies, and while it fails to reach the heights of its predecessor, I think some props are due.

#15 Posted by Oscars94 (2981 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000: Avengers was the epitomy of an excellent range of characters translating well to the cinema screen.

#16 Posted by TheCannon (20267 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was good, and could be ranked the best superhero film series of all time, but I find The Dark Knight extremely overrated and drags the rest of the trilogy down. Giant plot holes, worst acting from returning cast, having practically nothing to do with the rest of the trilogy, too long (though that's also a problem with Rises), etc. The only reason that TDK is regarded as highly as it is was because of Heath Ledger as the Joker. Still a good film, but highly overrated and the worst of the trilogy (and nowhere near as good as the Burton movies for that matter).

Begins had it's share amount of flaws, but was still very good. Though to be honest, the first time I saw it, I had NO CLUE what was going on. All I could follow was: Bruce's parents get shot. Bruce becomes Batman. Cops chase Batman. Batman beats up Scarecrow. Batman gets handed joker playing card. After seeing it a few more times, I understood what was going on and really enjoyed it. I've seen it a few more times since then and love it more every time I see it.

Rises was easily the best of the trilogy and the second best superhero film of all time (after the Avengers obviously). People criticize this movie WAY too much, and I think it's because it's too good. Bane was the best villain of the series (or second best. Joker was probably better, but I just liked Bane slightly more). It had the best acting from the returning cast (sucks that Alfred didn't appear after the first hour of the film with the exception of the final moments). It had the best fights (the second Bane/Batman fight is the best in any DC movie ever. And tops just about every Marvel movie fight scene ever too), along with the best moments (I guess is the best to call them), such as:

• Bruce escaping the pit.
  • Batman returning after 8 years (4 for us, but 8 chronologically).
  • Alfred at Bruce's funeral.
  • Anything with Bane.

And others. People complain about plot holes, but the only ones I can find are: 1) How did Bane and his henchmen get motorcycles inside a stock exchange? and 2) When they go into the tunnel, it's daylight. When they come out, it's the middle of the night. How and why?

I know pretty much everyone disagrees with this, and that's fine. It's just my personal opinion.

#17 Posted by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1462 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved them

#18 Edited by MuyJingo (2781 posts) - - Show Bio

They made Bruce kind of an idiot, who can fight well and use the technology at his disposal to be Batman. Batman should be Batman without the suit, and that just isn't the case in the nolan series.

• No scientific knowledge of any kind
  • Kills in the name of justice
  • Not a single detective bone in his body
  • Ridiculous voice.
  • Quitting because a girl he wanted to be in a relationship with died.

Not my Batman. I enjoyed the first 2 though.

#19 Posted by nappystr8 (1324 posts) - - Show Bio

If anything I think The Dark Knight is the only overrated film in the trilogy. Batman Begins is seen as what it is, a decent enough first entry in a franchise. For some reason The Dark Knight Rises is held to an unrealistic standard that no film could live up to, I think in addition to being underrated, it is a better movie than The Dark Knight other than the last 5 minutes. The Dark Knight was great, it did something we had never seen with a comic movie before, but it is far from perfect. If Heath Ledger hadn't died at that exact moment in time, I doubt anyone would still be talking about that movie. Because of that it reached such pop culture success that a hive mind seemed to form concerning that movie that it was something bigger that it was. TDKR never had a chance of living up to the legend that grew around The Dark Knight.

#20 Posted by RustyRoy (14938 posts) - - Show Bio

@muyjingo said:

They made Bruce kind of an idiot, who can fight well and use the technology at his disposal to be Batman. Batman should be Batman without the suit, and that just isn't the case in the nolan series.

• No scientific knowledge of any kind
  • Kills in the name of justice
  • Not a single detective bone in his body
  • Ridiculous voice.
  • Quitting because a girl he wanted to be in a relationship with died.

Not my Batman. I enjoyed the first 2 though.

Yeah I agree with you on this but it was Nolan's version the Batman, a flawed Batman, that's why he always said his Batman didn't belong in the larger DCU. Batman is always reinvented, this was his take on the character and if you see it that way then maybe you can enjoy it. Although I do want see the comic book Batman on the big screen.

#21 Edited by Verotikryptonite (366 posts) - - Show Bio

No. I couldn't past BM's voice. It was so laughable. He sounded like the entire Miami Heat took turns entertaining themselves with his throat.

#22 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

it should be renamed batman's villains trilogy. this is batman's worst representation ever. they are ok. maybe on a rainy day i can watch the first 2. def not the last one. it feel so unnecessary.

#23 Posted by Nightwing4 (388 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact that Nolan's trilogy is defined by its villains, rather than the title character, shows its greatness. Believable, three-dimensional villains simply don't exist in other moves of the genre.

Praise Avengers all you want (which I enjoyed) but at the end of the day, that iteration of Loki isn't nearly as compelling of a character as Nolan's Joker, Bane or Ra's.

#24 Posted by Reignmaker (2366 posts) - - Show Bio

People really tend to forget what superhero movies looked like before Batman Begins came out. Going back and watching it today after all the posers and imitators followed, it's easy to think it's a simplistic film. It paved the way for so much that followed, it's really kind of ignorant to call it overrated. If you don't think it did, you really need to spend some time reading what subsequent movie directors had to say about BB. It was an absolute game-changer in the movie industry. Possibly even more than The Dark Knight, but I'll refrain from going that far.

#25 Posted by Reignmaker (2366 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact that Nolan's trilogy is defined by its villains, rather than the title character, shows its greatness.

I actually disagree with this.

The movies that preceded BB were about the villains. Jack Nicholson, Michelle Pfeiffer, Jim Carrey...THESE guys were the stars of the previous Batman films. When BB finally came out, we finally got a story that focused on Bruce Wayne and his becoming Batman. While Liam Neeson was good, he didn't have the kind of personality that could take over a film. I think that was good, because we desperately needed a movie that brought the focus back to the main protagonist. TDK was definitely dominated by Ledger's acting though, I'll give you that. A lot of people also talked about Tom Hardy's Bane in TDKR, but I felt much more time was spent on Bale finishing his story.

#26 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (16314 posts) - - Show Bio

@oscars94 said:

@deathpoolthet1000: Avengers was the epitomy of an excellent range of characters translating well to the cinema screen.

And it was boring in the first half, the action scenes where very damn lame compare with what others are doing and the enemies where generic bad guys.

No movie is perfect, not Nolan one, neither The Avengers.

Also the Captain America costume was a ripp off of White Storm from Gi Joe and Hawkeye from Green Arrow in Smallville.

#27 Posted by RustyRoy (14938 posts) - - Show Bio

People really tend to forget what superhero movies looked like before Batman Begins came out. Going back and watching it today after all the posers and imitators followed, it's easy to think it's a simplistic film. It paved the way for so much that followed, it's really kind of ignorant to call it overrated. If you don't think it did, you really need to spend some time reading what subsequent movie directors had to say about BB. It was an absolute game-changer in the movie industry. Possibly even more than The Dark Knight, but I'll refrain from going that far.

Exactly. All of the three movies made major impacts on the movie industry, BB and Dark Knight has influenced many directors, writers and actors and by that influenced many movies. Maybe TDKR hasn't made much impression but its still considered one of the few great threequels.

#28 Posted by nappystr8 (1324 posts) - - Show Bio

Also the Captain America costume was a ripp off of White Storm from Gi Joe and Hawkeye from Green Arrow in Smallville.

Hawkeye's costume was actually taken right out of the comics. It's from the Ultimates series that came out in 2002. Far before Green Arrow was on Smallville.

#29 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (16314 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

Hawkeye's costume was actually taken right out of the comics. It's from the Ultimates series that came out in 2002. Far before Green Arrow was on Smallville.

They used that design, but they also used the smallville Green Arrow one.

Notice that he both have something over his shoulder, thing that he didnt have in the comics, the comic book costume also is more flat and those damn freacking lines and figure on the chest, it got worst, the Green Arrow from Arrow is using a costume that is a copy of the Captain America, that is a copy of the White Storm costume in Gi Joe that is a copy of the Punisher cotume on War Zone.