• 174 results
#101 Posted by havoc1201 (494 posts) - - Show Bio

@tec79 said:

All of the the problems we face and the Internet has rallied and is petitioning to stop an actor to play Batman!Those who took the time to read and sign that but don't consider petitions concerning unemployment, education, health care or reform of the political system should re-evaluate some things.

this is the truth if you think the worse thing in this world is ben Afflec playing Batman then you need to watch the news or just walk away from your computer for 5 mins and see how bad things can be for people around the world, here is a thought start a petition to increase funding for starving kids in our own country, you know stuff that we can change.

#102 Posted by lesterlawton (728 posts) - - Show Bio

This petition is the most ridiculously stupid thing I've seen in quite a while.

#103 Posted by _Zombie_ (10383 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh shut up you whiny tit.

#104 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (921 posts) - - Show Bio

I kinda feel sorry for the guy now... he's slowly blooming into a good actor/producer, and the minute the Batman announcement came up, he's copping all this flak. I wish we could just be patient and see what happens... if the movie fails, then you guys have the right to hate on him, but as of now, these petitions and other anti-affleck movements are making you guys look like dicks =)

#106 Edited by Fallschirmjager (16285 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know if OP realizes this, but Affleck was probably casted as Batman before Man of Steel came out. This didn't just happen, it was just announced. There is a difference.

Its all ready too late. And a petition wouldn't work anyway.

#107 Posted by RustyRoy (11890 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@batmannflash said:

I'm sorry but you need therapy if this upsets you so much. And why would Obama care about who plays Batman?

Maybe because he wants to play Batman himself

lol

#108 Edited by Wolverine08 (40703 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@batmannflash said:

@rustyroy said:

@batmannflash said:

I'm sorry but you need therapy if this upsets you so much. And why would Obama care about who plays Batman?

Maybe because he wants to play Batman himself

lol

Get Obama to play Batman in the World's Finest movie!

#109 Posted by The_Good_Loser (236 posts) - - Show Bio
#110 Edited by anthonygiu (65 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly want to see if he can pull it off. We've already had two terrible Batman movies in the 90s. Given Affleck's current track record: Argo, The Town, even State of Play was good...I think he can pull it off. I was like WTF at first but I have opened my mind and i am giving it a shot.

#111 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@anthonygiu: This is the reasonable reaction, I was surprised by it too but I'm reserving judgment until I see him as Batman. But even if he does turn out to be the worst Batman ever I'd still say it was stupid to petition the white house over it.

#112 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

i like how people are bringing up the ledger comparison. but it's more of a clooney comparison. ledger was an unknown actor at the time. it was his big break. ben affleck has been around for a long time. we've seen his acting range. remember when people said clooney was gonna suck. and they were right. yeah. plus all these great ben affleck movies: all his acting in them is decent at best. you can star in a great movie and still suck.

#113 Posted by Cara_Hunter (3687 posts) - - Show Bio

da fak?

#114 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer: Ledger was not an unknown, he may not have been a top tier star but plenty of people knew who he was. Hell this was after Brokeback Mountain which had Oscar buzz, he was huge with Teen girls due to things like 10 things I hate about you and a Knight's Tale was a minor hit. Calling him an unknown at the time he was cast as the Joker is woefully ignorant.

#115 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: he wasnt big like affleck is now which is the only reason he is going to be batman which was the only reason clooney was picked back in the day. ledger was known for brokeback mountain but that's it. he was a joke to the general public. plus we hadnt seen all he was capable of by then. affleck we have.

#116 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: oh and 10 things i hate about you was in '99. the dark knight was in '08. i doubt they remembered some guy in some comedy almost 10 years ago.

#117 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer: So you're saying that someone very few fans can take seriously is capable of surprising us and doing well in the role?

#118 Posted by russellmania77 (14848 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Obama doesn't care about super people

#119 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: yes. i think the role should have been given to an unknown.

#120 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer: That was never gonna happen, and you're delusional if you thought it would. While Bale wasn't exactly huge he still had some fan base which is probably the only way Nolan convinced WB it was a good idea to cast him. Lets face it no major hollywood studios are gonna invest that kind of money without at least 1 bankable star. MOS only got away with it because the only thing more famous than Superman is Jesus.

#121 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: well no point on arguing any further on this. snyder is still directing, cavil is a plank and affleck is mediocre. perfect sh*tstorm.

#122 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer: I don't even care if people like it or not I just wish the damn whining would stop.

#123 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: when you're putting crap on the screen, people get angry

#124 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer: Why? Its not like you have to watch it. Unless someone puts a gun to your head and makes you watch it there is no rational reason to be as mad as people are about this.

#125 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: oh i'm not as mad as some of the people out there but i am pissed as hell. i wanted a good superman movie. i got man of steel. now they are going to bury superman and batman in one shot.

#126 Posted by muhabba (299 posts) - - Show Bio

Why all the hate for Ben Affleck. When he was a young actor he did some awesome movie, then of course there was the Gili period, and now he's back to some awesome movie. Plus he was a great Daredevil, the movie was ass, but I think he was a good Matt Murdock.

#127 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer: I liked Man of Steel, I won't say its a great film by any stretch but its not as bad as the 3 live action Superman movies that preceded it, sure it'll never be considered as great as Superman and Superman 2 but I'm not a perfectionist, if a movie can keep me entertained for 2 hours I'm happy. And unless you happen to be psychic you can't tell whether or not the next movie will suck. Also I don't believe that psychics are an actual thing that exists so honestly I can't take any quality complaint before a single frame of film is shot seriously.

#128 Posted by muhabba (299 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually consider Man Of Steel as a Elseworld story.

#129 Edited by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6362 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee said:
EDIT: @spideyivydaredevilfan26 Argo didn't suck. It was one of the best movies that year, one of the best in a long time even. What I'm saying is it was really really good. Great. You just weren't mature enough to appreciate it, is what it sounds like. It was based solely on true events. When rescuing hostages, it would be ridiculous for you not to take it slow. Sure not every scene was gunshots and rioting, but that's because there's a lot of talking and negotiating involved. The movie didn't have a slow moment, it sounds like you just weren't mature enough to appreciate anything but the gunfire and riots. But that's okay, you will when you're older.

Also, to say the movie was racist is ridiculous. Period. If I sound pissed off, it's not because I'm really angry or anything. I'm just tired of people on the internet who will complain no matter who is announced to play Batman. Some people just love to complain about everything, and I get that, but it doesn't make it any less annoying. Ben Affleck will be a great Batman.

Taking it a little slow is fine. Look at One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Titanic or The Village. Those were slow, but both really good, because they had enough fascinating material in-between, even if it wasn't necessarily action. I could care less about the riots, but give us something. Have something go incredibly wrong, bring in a huge complication, have somebody get arrested for something that wasn;t that big, building tension that they might get caught for the bigger offense. But staring at Affleck sitting in a room with a bunch of hostages for an hour is not fun, you can't put a spin on that. And it WAS racist. It portrayed Middle Eastern people as monsters with no reason to dare want to attack the US. Every scene they're in they are either complete idiots, rioting, or threatening terrorism. It's shockingly offensive. Also, John Goodman needed more screen time, he's the best actor in the movie and he's in for like 30 minutes. And no, there are plenty of people not named Bale that would make a great Batman:

Liev Schrieber

Karl Urban

Mark Wahlberg

Russell Crowe

Benicio Del Toro

Brad Pitt

Sam Elliot (As an older Batman)

And plenty of other people I simply forgot to name. Just because I didn't like Argo doesn't mean I'm immature. Chances are, 5 years from now I'll still notice the slow and boring story, racist undertones and portrayals, lack of suspense or tension and underuse of Goodman.

#130 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (10107 posts) - - Show Bio

Why people talk about movies Affleck directed?

He directed those movies, but he wasnt casted as director.

He was casted as an actor.

Besides i actually belive The Town stomped Argo, it was boring pretentious and belive it as better it actually was, it got out in the right time, if it came out during Bush administration, people would had said it was totally biased for the fact it take out the USA interest on that part of the world and paint the Middle Easterns, but since it came out during Obama years, it was "patriotic" and a story about heroism of the USA goverment.

Besides Affleck dont do a good job in Argo, his performance was himself in angst mode.

Being said this is belive in Affleck, but if he fails they can always recast Batman.

#131 Posted by Dabee (2383 posts) - - Show Bio

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: That's like saying that Schindler's List was racist because it portrayed Nazis as the bad guys. The Iranian insurgents were taking hostages. They were the bad guys, obviously.

#132 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Affleck will be fine, but the director will determine whether there's any lasting power, and Snyder is no Nolan. Not even close. I know there's reports of multiple Affleck Batman movies, but I truly believe he'll do this and then Justice League. After that, he'll be done.

#133 Edited by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

Bunch of crybabies and nerd-rage. Affleck is a great choice for Batman. Couldn't have picked a better actor for the role.

#134 Posted by JetiiMitra (8393 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still enjoying how the petition got taken down. Anyone know how many signatures it got?

#135 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6362 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee said:

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: That's like saying that Schindler's List was racist because it portrayed Nazis as the bad guys. The Iranian insurgents were taking hostages. They were the bad guys, obviously.

True, but unlike the Nazis, the Iranian insurgents had reason to be pissed. Americans had destroyed their country and brought it to poverty.

#136 Posted by Dabee (2383 posts) - - Show Bio
#137 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (10107 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee said:

No, you dont understand, the bad guys in Schindler List are 3dimensional beings, they had reasons and a face, they had emotions and you can explain why they do waht they do.

They werent some random stereotype 2dimensional characters, like the villain in Argo.

The movie never explains them, eevn when you could say is a history movie, is like saying is a comic book movie, read the comic or read the book, the movie should explain this thing as his own thing.

#138 Edited by mikex20 (2769 posts) - - Show Bio

I read that people waaay back in the golden age of cinema people were apprehensive about Michael Keaton playing Batman, but accepted his performance after seeing the film. The same could be true for Ben Affleck.

#139 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (10107 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikex20 said:

I read that people waaay back in the golden age of cinema people were apprehensive about Michael Keaton playing Batman, but accepted his performance after seeing the film. The same could be true for Ben Affleck.

Wait you belive the 80s were the golden age?

I mean sure, Back To The Future was great, but Keaton wasnt Micheal J. Fox as Marty and many people still dont like his performance, having valid reason to dont like it.

#140 Posted by Dabee (2383 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000: @spideyivydaredevilfan26: Their reasons for doing what they did (kidnapping innocent people for over a year), was really no reason. All they wanted was for us to return a former leader to their country so that they could kill him, while they were ironically supporters of the Ayatollah Khomeini. They were just a bunch of bad guys, whether or not their reasons were expressed in the movie. To say the movie is racist is stupid. People who storm an embassy and take hostages are inherently bad, and to call their portrayal in a negative light racist is the same as saying the kidnappings were totally okay.

I do see the difference between Schindler's List and Argo that you mentioned, though, but all I'm saying is that the villains were still bad no matter how you look at it.

#141 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10107 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee: But if you dont explain the reasons, if you dont explain why the character are dping what are doing.

You get with stereotypes of arabs, those guys just hate the USA for no reason, they are religious freacks, the USA never did anything to cause this, not even by mistake.

Also, the USA goverment is killing people, send the army and decide they have to shot people and use bombs to kill one guy even if that kills hundreds, go and say they are the bad guys and the guyson the embassy and the goverment are the good guys, is simplistic, this wasnt Commando, there was a bigger picture and they decide to keep it out, so they could paint people as heroes and others as bad guys.

even when is more complicated.

#142 Posted by mikex20 (2769 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000: I was being sarcastic, but I guess it's hard to express when typing.

#143 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6362 posts) - - Show Bio
@dabee said:

@deathpoolthet1000: @spideyivydaredevilfan26: Their reasons for doing what they did (kidnapping innocent people for over a year), was really no reason. All they wanted was for us to return a former leader to their country so that they could kill him, while they were ironically supporters of the Ayatollah Khomeini. They were just a bunch of bad guys, whether or not their reasons were expressed in the movie. To say the movie is racist is stupid. People who storm an embassy and take hostages are inherently bad, and to call their portrayal in a negative light racist is the same as saying the kidnappings were totally okay.

I do see the difference between Schindler's List and Argo that you mentioned, though, but all I'm saying is that the villains were still bad no matter how you look at it.

I think that the Iranians had the right to act radical for that. This was a man that America put into power and they just covered it up by sending him to America, which is incredibly corrupt and, in my mind, one of the darkest moments in recent American history (1975-2013)

#144 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

#145 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6362 posts) - - Show Bio

This was my reaction when Argo won Best Picture

#146 Posted by Dabee (2383 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that the Iranians had the right to act radical for that. This was a man that America put into power and they just covered it up by sending him to America, which is incredibly corrupt and, in my mind, one of the darkest moments in recent American history (1975-2013)

You're too funny.

#147 Posted by ironmanbilly (6 posts) - - Show Bio

This Ben Affleck thing is ridiculous. The guy is gonna do an amazing job. He looks the part, he has paid his dues and is back on top form. Give the guy a chance!

This article nails it. Read it. Then tell me what else you can complain about ben affleck as batman for?!

http://www.moviecricket.com/ben-affleck-rises-52496/

#148 Posted by MatteoPG (1927 posts) - - Show Bio

.... kill yourself, if you make a petition about this... it means you have nothing significant in your life. Unless you're trolling, which is bad but not equally bad.

I've been on the vine for six years, in total my various role playing accounts have accumulated over 30000 posts, I've seen the absolute rock bottom of human intellect on this site, with people sinking to such mental lows that sometimes I just wanted to scream into a pillow until the stupid people went away.

And this is still the third dumbest thread I have ever seen.

Now I have to know: what are the others?

#149 Edited by Jayc1324 (11093 posts) - - Show Bio
#150 Posted by tikhunt (676 posts) - - Show Bio

@guardian_of_gravity: Holy Cow that Superman/Shuma Gorath thread O.O how did these people learn to breath.