So Zero Year is over... Will it become a classic?

Avatar image for riddlerzeroyear
RiddlerZeroYear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If not, will any of Snyder's stories thus far?

Avatar image for hauntedgraveyard
HauntedGraveyard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't a big fan of Zero Year at all.

I hear a lot of praise for Court of the Owls and TBM.

I wasn't a big fan of the Court but enjoyed The Black Mirror

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I don't think any of it will be on the level of Killing Joke, Year One, The Dark Knight Returns or Morrisons run but I do think it'll be remembered with the same level of fondness as Knightfall. It's been good and not great IMO.

batcat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By batcat91

I feel like the Court of Owls was a really cool "blockbuster", with some nice character moments and the introduction of an engaging and powerful villain. Like Dixon's Batman.

In my opinion Death of the Family and The Black Mirror will be classics and will eventually gain the amount of respect and reverence as stories such as Year One, The Long Halloween and so on.

I can' say for Zero Year since I haven't read everything.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RustyRoy

I don't think any of it will be on the level of Killing Joke, Year One, The Dark Knight Returns or Morrisons run but I do think it'll be remembered with the same level of fondness as Knightfall. It's been good and not great IMO.

Agreed.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Nah,Knightfall's impact in post crisis DCU was rivaled if not exceeded only by Batman R.I.P. I expect Snyder's work to be remembered the same way as Hush.

HighlyEvolved

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure about Zero Year but IMO Court of Owls will be a classic. I honestly enjoyed reading it more than Hush.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure about Zero Year but IMO Court of Owls will be a classic. I honestly enjoyed reading it more than Hush.

Hush isn't a classic.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@highlyevolved said:

Hush isn't a classic.

It is,I think it's rather mediocre but you cant deny it's popularity. Snyder's work is no different in my eyes.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@highlyevolved said:

Hush isn't a classic.

It is,I think it's rather mediocre but you cant deny it's popularity. Snyder's work is no different in my eyes.

Popularity doesn't make it a classic. Its popular but so is Transformers movies, no one calls them classic.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@entropy_aegis said:

@pperspectiveandreality said:

Nah,Knightfall's impact in post crisis DCU was rivaled if not exceeded only by Batman R.I.P. I expect Snyder's work to be remembered the same way as Hush.

He was talking in terms of fondness, though, not impact. And while Knightfall was influential, it isn't really remembered with the same amount of fondness or regarded as much of a classic as stuff like Year One, The Killing Joke, The Dark Knight Returns, etc.

MegaHGFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Court of Owls along with Death of the Family, will hold up better and stand up as being more unique in the annals of Batman history.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It wont be in my eyes. I'm going to be jumping though hoops to forget it happened.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Eh it's been alright from when I checked in on it but nothing that rivals the truly classic Batman stories. Let alone the masterpiece that is Year One, the one Frank Millar storyline I've read that I actually like. So I doubt Snyder's Zero Year will be considered alongside the really great Batman stories. He's had some stand outs like The Black Mirror and Court of Owls but has gone downhill since. People overhype what's popular nowadays based on word of mouth but once Snyder's run ends, the embers of it will die down. Zero Year has been too long and drawn out to be considered a memorable Batman origin story. Heck I find Snyder's Superman Unchained work to be better than most of his Batman work myself.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh no. But then again, TDKR is considered "legendary" so anything is possible.

Beata

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think it will be remembered on fondly and as a great second place stringer in the Batman origin stories (next to Year One) but Black Mirror and Court of Owls will be the 2 stories from Snyder I believe will be the most fondly looked upon.

fattytravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what little I've read of Zero Year thus far (I usually wait until an arc is finished to read it straight through) it's pretty good. I'm anxious to pick up 33 and finally read it all.

I've no doubt that it will be great though. I think that I've read everything Snyder has written, with the exception of his Marvel work, and all of it is brilliant.

TheBakeBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheBakeBoss

I personally thought it was better than Year One. It's one of those odd cases where the new one is actually LESS dark and gritty than the old one and it works perfectly here for a younger gotham and a younger batman

MyNameIsWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was well done, I'm not so sure it's on the same level as Year One though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: @rustyroy: Hush is indeed a classic. Those Superman fight scans, Batman almost killing Joker, Catwoman and Batman's relationship, everything. Its old and insanely popular. Classic

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it will make top ten batman stories lists, but not sure about it being a classic. it is beautifully written, and defines new 52 batman like how morrison and frank miller defined old batman. Snyder pretty much created new 52 Batman and who he is with this story. Not quite a classic though, perhaps in time.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MuyJingo

Absolutely not. I'd bet my small fortune on it.

I elaborated on this more in another post, but there is nothing in Zero Year that defines the evolution of Bruce into Batman. The Zero Year stores could simple be some early adventures in LofDK. There is nothing particularly memorable about it.

For me, Year One has the moments of Bruce being inspired (which ZY tried to update and failed), confronting Falcone, showing the city from the perspective of Gordon, Batman escaping the SWAT...a bunch of amazing moments. Really, what comes to mind when you think of Zero Year, now that it's over?

What moments truly make you go wow, and that you are going to be remembering a decade from now? I can't think of a single one. That, to me, is why it won't be a classic. It's simply not that good.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo said:

I elaborated on this more in another post, but there is nothing in Zero Year that defines the evolution of Bruce into Batman. The Zero Year stores could simple be some early adventures in LofDK. There is nothing particularly memorable about it.

For me, Year One has the moments of Bruce being inspired (which ZY tried to update and failed), confronting Falcone, showing the city from the perspective of Gordon, Batman escaping the SWAT...a bunch of amazing moments. Really, what comes to mind when you think of Zero Year, now that it's over?

What moments truly make you go wow, and that you are going to be remembering a decade from now? I can't think of a single one. That, to me, is why it won't be a classic. It's simply not that good.

Agreed.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo said:

Agreed.

Agreed. It was good (at the end) but not that good.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not likely?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

God, everyone's so cynical.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

I dont think so,one of Snyder's major problems is that everything he writes invites comparisons to other stories.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

I dont think so,one of Snyder's major problems is that everything he writes invites comparisons to other stories.

Everything? I don't think anyone ever compared Black Mirror and Court of Owls to any other stories.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:
@entropy_aegis said:

@jaken7 said:

Everything? I don't think anyone ever compared Black Mirror and Court of Owls to any other stories.

I'll give you BM but COO was blasted by many as a poor mans RIP.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:
@entropy_aegis said:

@jaken7 said:

Really? I hadn't heard that before. What are even the similarities between them? They both feature a Batman that went insane?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@jaken7 said:
@entropy_aegis said:

@jaken7 said:

Really? I hadn't heard that before. What are even the similarities between them? They both feature a Batman that went insane?

Drugged,fatigued,injured Batman (to the verge of death only to pull off a miracle escape using his immense will)

The Black Glove,Court of Owls.

Dr Hurt/Thomas Wayne,Lincoln March/Thomas Wayne.

Both Thomas' spent time in Willow Wood Asylum.

Both organizations were suspected to be involved in the murder of Bruce's parents.

I'm not saying Snyder was ripping off Morrison seeing as some of these are silver age concepts,and the others are common story telling beats but all of them together at the same time and on the heels of Morrisons work itself? I dunno if it was intentional but what I do know is COO feels like an inferior version of RIP.