so i just read earth one...

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is it me or does he act a lot like Hal Jordan except with a gloomyer look on life did anyone else notice this?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

*sits and pulls out popcorn*

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Based on how I've seen Johns handle Batman in other books, I have no interest in reading Earth One.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reignmaker: well you should its earth one so no worrys on other characters douching on him and its a really great book

Kangaxx_54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have to say, Earth One is the one comic I've really regretted spending money on. All-Star Batman & Robin was better, and that's saying something. Well, the arts's good, but I'm avoiding anything Geoff Johns. Because yes, he's not writing Batman. He's writing a comic that has strange characters with some familiar name.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RustyRoy

Earth One Batman doesn't feel like Batman, Morrison should have written it.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Well Johns hates Batman, so....

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Why doesn't it feel like Batman? Because he isn't BATGOD??? And people complain about Superman..............Jesus Christ............

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Squalleon
The complains that E1 batman doesn't feel like batman are contradictory to the whole point of E1.
Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Veshark

Why doesn't it feel like Batman? Because he isn't BATGOD??? And people complain about Superman..............Jesus Christ............

I think it's because Bruce came across as an ineffectual and unlikeable spoiled brat. I don't know, I've never read it, but this is what I gather from reviews.

Avatar image for johnkmccubbin91
johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 672

User Lists: 103

I loved this book, and although everyone complains about the changes it's nice to see a different take on Batman. It is a different universe after all and you'd might as well get Year One, or any other Batman origin story if you wanted it to stay the same.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@rustyroy said:

that entirely defeats the point

ImagineMan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually really liked Earth One. It wasn't the best Batman story ever told or anything, but it was an enjoyable read for me. And that's saying something, because I strongly dislike John's writing a good 90% of the time

UncleEmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By UncleEmu

There are parts that are awful, but it's a really cool idea, and I like it just for that. It's something different - the whole point is that it is strange

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why has nobody answerd my qeustion about bruce acting like hal jordan?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By Squalleon

@lifeofvibe: Because he doesn't.He is a spoiled brat but no he doesn't remotely feel like Hal. What have you read with Hal in it?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

What point?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@rustyroy said:

What point?

Point of it being a fresh take on the character, I think? Considering Morrison has been the Bat-writer pre-Snyder for several years.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RustyRoy

@veshark: Doesn't matter if he wrote Batman for more than half a decade, I think Morrison could still write a Batman story with a fresh and different take on the character and the story, my problem with Johns' take was he changed the characters rather than the story, Bruce never felt like Bruce, Alfred never felt like Alfred, Bullock never felt like Bullock, I know it was supposed to be a different take on the characters but it never felt like a different take but more like a same old story with a entirely different and new characters.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@kangaxx_54: I agree 100% I've never actually wanted to return a comic before this one. It's spool bad and the singular redeeming quality is Gary franks art. But the way Geoff write batman it's A's if he doesn't even like him

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have to say, Earth One is the one comic I've really regretted spending money on. All-Star Batman & Robin was better, and that's saying something. Well, the arts's good, but I'm avoiding anything Geoff Johns. Because yes, he's not writing Batman. He's writing a comic that has strange characters with some familiar name.

So true.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By entropy_aegis

Johns apologists use the "not Batgod" card to defend the story,my humble advice to these people go watch Nolan's Batman. That's a realistic Batman,the way Johns wrote Batman in that story made me feel that he really wants Batman to be kicked out of DC comics.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

User Lists: 1

@theacidskull: it's good to see that some of what I've been saying since the launch of the new52 is starting to sink into some people.

@sog7dc: Geoff Johns doesn't like Batman

There is something that I've recently got to thinking... the problem with all the origin stories that are being written now a days, in movies and in comics, the writers are writing a story about the villain which is what you do generally, but when you write an origin story the character you are telling the origin of is the focus, not the antagonist. This is why Penguin's miniseries and Year One are good and why Year Zero and Man of Steel and so many other origins we are seeing recently are bad.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@veshark: Doesn't matter if he wrote Batman for more than half a decade, I think Morrison could still write a Batman story with a fresh and different take on the character and the story, my problem with Johns' take was he changed the characters rather than the story, Bruce never felt like Bruce, Alfred never felt like Alfred, Bullock never felt like Bullock, I know it was supposed to be a different take on the characters but it never felt like a different take but more like a same old story with a entirely different and new characters.

that's the point of Earth One

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eternal19: No it isn't. However different the take or environment, the characters should still be true to themselves. Batman in every elseworlds story is still Batman, for example.

Having said that, I didn't have a problem with Earth One except that it was underwhelming. Oh, so the penguin is a corrupt mayor and alfred is more badass. OK.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

*shrugs*, I don't know, I was just trying to guess what the other poster meant by it defeating the point.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

With the Earth One story Johns literally showed everyone how much he dislikes Batman.In every single story he writes and Batman is included,Batman is rather an idiot and acts nothing like himself or he is just useless and does almost nothing throughout the whole thing.