Snyders batman

• 134 results
Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Because some people think it makes them cool to hate things that are popular, and that if they compliment anything "mainstream" in the slightest, it instantly makes them a conformist. (Something they will never admit to.)

Scott Snyder's Batman = Awesome, in my book! (No pun intended.) (Pun intended.)

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@entropy_aegis said:
  • Every single story he has written has to be a crossover with dozens of tie inns.Now most Snyder loyalists dismiss this with"read the main story,forget the tie inns they are not important". But here's the problem some of us DONT GIVE A S*HIT about the main story,we just wanna read Detective,Nightwing etc tell their own stories instead of being constantly dragged in to these ridiculous crossovers. Thanks to Snyder we have been robbed of potential substitutes,instead of telling their own story writers are busy playing catch up with Snyder.

That might be the editors' choice so don't blame old Scott for that.

BB

Not 100% yes but there is some blame yes,I say this because the Batman line wasn't like this before he showed up. We had Road Home back in 2010 which no one cared about. I wish writers would do what we saw in RIP,not only was RIP fantastic but so were Heart of Hush and the Great Leap.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: I agree, I've noticed that a lot of the stuff is a crossover which is quite annoying.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the HATERS here... THEY BUY EVERY ISSUE OF SNYDER's BATMAN!!! They can tell you about every damn story arc ok. Comic book fans buy books to hate on them in these type of forums. So all of you enjoying SNYDER's Batman, don't listen to any of this bullcrap.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@dabee: that is the dumbest thing i've ever heard and i've read/heard a lot of stupid in my life. people like you always use that line to hide mediocrity.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dabee: that is the dumbest thing i've ever heard and i've read/heard a lot of stupid in my life. people like you always use that line to hide mediocrity.

You've just proven my point. People think it's cool of them to say things suck. Snyder's Batman is far from mediocre, and it will go down as a classic run. It's for that very reason that people give it undeserved criticism. The idea is "if I think something sucks, but everyone else thinks it's awesome, that makes me smarter than all of those phonies!" It's been going on for a while now.

ALSO! You said that you have read/heard a lot of stupid. (I commend you on that.) But you said what I said is the dumbest thing you've ever heard, which would normally make sense, but you have also acknowledged the existence of reading. In Layman's terms, if you are including both hearing and reading in your argument, why say what I typed is what you heard? It just strikes me as a bit bizarre.

Anyway, thanks for proving my point.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#57  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@dabee said:

Because some people think it makes them cool to hate things that are popular, and that if they compliment anything "mainstream" in the slightest, it instantly makes them a conformist. (Something they will never admit to.)

These people then go onto praise other mainstream things thus proving that you're talking crap.

Have a nice day

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#58  Edited By DecoyElite

@dabee said:

Except there's plenty of legit complains in this thread. Also Morrison's run is being praised by the same people who don't like Snyder's and it's not like when Morrison starting writing Batman was suddenly indie.

Now I know some people do indeed hate on things for being popular but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Avatar image for masterdetective
MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By MasterDetective

Dabee and Blackdog are speaking truth.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Dabee

@decoyelite: @fadetoblackbolt: I'm not talking about everyone who has ever said anything about Snyder's run other than it's amazing. I'm talking about the many people who will only say "Snyder's Batman sucks!!!!!" with little to no reasoning. I'm more talking about people who say that, and that likely haven't even picked up one of Snyder's Batman comics. (Which are a lot more people than you would think.)

I'm sorry if this got misconstrued as me saying everyone who's ever criticized a comic is just a non-conformist hipster, because after reading what I said again, yeah... it does kind of sound like that's what I'm saying.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dabee: Ah, that makes more sense, I must admit I misread your intentions. Sorry if it seems like I jumped at your anything.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By entropy_aegis

Another problem with Scott Snyder is that he's unwilling to follow up on his own status quo. What happened to the Dealer? and if it weren't for Batgirl and Suicide Squad James Jr would've disappeared in to obscurity. Likewise Snyder never followed up on Lincoln March,or the Bat family Post DOTF,they just distrust Bruce for reasons known only to them and not the reader,what happened to the Court Labyrinth? where the heck is it located? why didn't Batman go back there later?

Even Morrison's run left some plot threads hanging the most notable being Flamingo but Snyder takes it to a whole new level.

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dabee: i gave lengthy reasons why his batman sucks guy in THIS thread. so i bothered to reason my point, but, you being blinded the opportunity to defend something knowing you will get backup from fanboys, didnt read the whole thread or just ignored it and just started spewing idiot things left and right.

UncleEmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott Snyder's run is like McDonalds. If you look at the surface, it fills you up and tastes good. If you look deeper you realize that it tastes good to the unrefined, and that underneath it's surface it's nothing but a bunch of bull**** ingredients.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cheesesticks: Why would that be worse? The Joker has always been the leader of the Red Hood gang

You couldn't be more incorrect.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I think his run has been pretty good. Don't know if I agree with people saying it butchers Bruce's character given that the New 52 allowed characters to be changed.

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare: they said his character is mostly unchanged. like 85% unchanged. so yeah butchering.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@decoyelite: i just read the first volume of grant morrisons run on batman in "batman and son" and wow... you were right it doesn't even compare. I like all of the characters more and I care a lot more about everyone. its just categorically better....though I d still like Snyder's batman. but man. grants is just head and shoulders above Snyder's

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By DecoyElite

@sog7dc: Think this comment is more of meant for Fade than, lol.

When Morrison gets a character he really gets a character. Check out his JLA run if you haven't already, fantastic stuff.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decoyelite: Oh my bad lol. Im emotionally invested after the first two issues...it's th same feeling I had when I read allstar superman. And I would check out his JLA but I can't stomach the super-mullet

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By DecoyElite

@sog7dc: He's not Super mullet the whole time and it's worth holding back your hate to try it.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decoyelite: I suppose I hookahs let that get in the way. I'll try the first TPB and maybe grant will get me To buy his entire run

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Gracetrack

@sog7dc said:

@decoyelite: i just read the first volume of grant morrisons run on batman in "batman and son" and wow... you were right it doesn't even compare. I like all of the characters more and I care a lot more about everyone. its just categorically better....though I d still like Snyder's batman. but man. grants is just head and shoulders above Snyder's

See, I've read much of Morrison's works also - including Batman and Son - and I disagree. Snyder's Batman, so far, is right up there with Morrison's in my opinion.

Morrison does certain things better than Snyder, and likewise Snyder does some things better than Morrison. It largely depends on the story, honestly.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono: What do you think Snyder does better than Morrison? Just wondering.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@masterdetective: all your comic cred has been flushed down the toilet with that post.

Wow. Are you seriously going to say that? So...because someone has a different opinion than you do, they don't have any credibility? Again, wow...

Look, I know you're the definitive voice of Batman comics, but people are allowed to have their own opinions.

Also, Death of the Family was nothing like Death in the Family and Zero Year is shaping up to be a very different origin story than Year One, and one that is just as good. And Year One is actually the first Batman story I ever read, so when I say that, I don't mean it lightly.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono: I'm planning on reading court o owls again to get a better comparison. But I don't like the lack of actual detective work and martial arts and batman's intelligence in Snyders run so far

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

@thetimestreamer said:

@masterdetective: all your comic cred has been flushed down the toilet with that post.

Wow. Are you seriously going to say that? So...because someone has a different opinion than you do, they don't have any credibility? Again, wow...

Look, I know you're the definitive voice of Batman comics, but people are allowed to have their own opinions.

Also, Death of the Family was nothing like Death in the Family and Zero Year is shaping up to be a very different origin story than Year One, and one that is just as good. And Year One is actually the first Batman story I ever read, so when I say that, I don't mean it lightly.

Zero Year might be a different story than Year One or could end up becoming one atleast eventually but the part that deals with the origin isn't really that different.

ImagineMan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To answer the OP's question:

• Snyder is more interested in writing the next big story instead of focusing on making the story he's writing currently good.I first noticed this back in Batman#5 when people were still on the Snyder bandwagon.There he traps Batman in an unescapable maze(we are only told it's unescapable),he has Batman beaten bloody and bruised,reviewers go screaming "OMG RIP,Knightfall have been surpassed" only for Batman to get back up beat the shit out of Talon and escape the unescapable maze with in seconds. Fans are left to wonder as to why Batman couldn't escape when he's was healthy and fresh. This is why his stories fizzle out at the climax.
  • In my previous point I mentioned the fans being told that the maze is unescapable,well that's what Snyder entire run has been. We are just told things,when Snyder wants to get a point across he literally has to hammer it in to your face.I'll give you some examples "Owls eat Bats,Owls are the natural predator of the Bat,Owls ate Bats in the Bat cave centuries ago(why does this even matter?),Owls have nests everywhere,oh and did I mention Owls eat Bats",or how about Riddler for instance"You're my strategist Edward,I'm your uncle's strategist,I'm your strategist,your strategist king Batman,you are a strategist Edward" now we wouldn't mind if Riddler actually does something strategic,but here it's just empty talk and nothing more,false hype and he did the same thing with the Joker and Lincoln March. Since his stories have no substance and originality he has to resort to giving us empty words to make us care.
  • Every single story he has written has to be a crossover with dozens of tie inns.Now most Snyder loyalists dismiss this with"read the main story,forget the tie inns they are not important". But here's the problem some of us DONT GIVE A S*HIT about the main story,we just wanna read Detective,Nightwing etc tell their own stories instead of being constantly dragged in to these ridiculous crossovers. Thanks to Snyder we have been robbed of potential substitutes,instead of telling their own story writers are busy playing catch up with Snyder.
  • Unoriginal trite that opens itself to comparison to other stories,when you choose to call your story Death of the Family and claim it's gonna be on par with classic Joker stories before fans even get the chance to read it then it's going to get criticism no matter what,when you call your story zero year and claim it's Batman's origin rewritten then you're bound to earn the ire of of year one fans.My advice to Scott,write your own story dammit.
  • Snyder has this habit of tying everything in to the past,every single story he's written has him retroactively shoehorning events in to the past and eventually we are left worse off than we were.I can handle Snyder writing Batman stories that I don't care about,but I cant handle him f*cking up the characters history and continuity. There's plenty more if you wanna get specific but I find these to be the major flaws in his work.

Excellent points across the board.

I was really on the Scott Snyder bandwagon for the first half of The Court of Owls story. The sweet taste of The Black Mirror was still in my mouth, and I loved his work there enough that I was actually showering his New 52 Batman issues with praise before I even read them. Halfway through the Owls fiasco, I began to realize that there was virtually nothing new or interesting being presented; it was just a compilation of old stories painted up with some force-fed owl/bat symbolism, and it went on far longer than it had to.

Death of the Family sucked, I downright hated it. Zero Year is a better, but it doesn't blow me away.

It hurts to say it, because I'm a big fan of Snyder on everything he writes EXCEPT for his Batman run, but its simply not good.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well...his Superman stuff must be better then, Entropy likes it. And Fade too...maybe..

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imagineman16: I loved the first 3 issues of his Batman run,they were excellent,the fourth one was good,then after #5 it went downhill.

TakeLuutzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoy Snyder's writing but i think his stories are anti-climactic. For example, the Court of the Owls was like 12 issues? The climax was in the last issue en was rushed. The same can be said for The Death of Family. Both of those last issues were filled with dialogue and therefor maybe a bit of an disappointment for some readers. This Batman isn't the Batman like the one in Detective Comics who beats his opponents.
I like Snyder but i think he should come up with an ending for his stories before beginning.

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: no, not due to a difference of opinion. due to them being wrong. there's a difference.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: no, not due to a difference of opinion. due to them being wrong. there's a difference.

Wow. Get over yourself.

Seriously? Is this the one thing that gets your ego up? Trying to belittle people on a comic book forum?

....Kind of pathetic.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh great, the self-righteous defender of all that is politically correct is back.

@sandman_ said:

Well...his Superman stuff must be better then, Entropy likes it. And Fade too...maybe..

Haven't read it. Waiting for the trade.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Zeeguy91

@fadetoblackbolt said:

Oh great, the self-righteous defender of all that is politically correct is back.

Oh look, its the egotistical hipster who thinks he's the smartest person in the world.

...yippy.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dabee said:

Yup.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

Oh look, its the egotistical hipster who thinks he's the smartest person in the world.

...yippy.

I might be egotistical, but at least I'm willing to admit it.

I do love how the people who like dull things love to use the "hipster" argument. Could it be that the other person simply likes things that aren't generic garbage? Nope, can't be that, they must just hate it because it's cool.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To answer the OP's question:

• Snyder is more interested in writing the next big story instead of focusing on making the story he's writing currently good.I first noticed this back in Batman#5 when people were still on the Snyder bandwagon.There he traps Batman in an unescapable maze(we are only told it's unescapable),he has Batman beaten bloody and bruised,reviewers go screaming "OMG RIP,Knightfall have been surpassed" only for Batman to get back up beat the shit out of Talon and escape the unescapable maze with in seconds. Fans are left to wonder as to why Batman couldn't escape when he's was healthy and fresh. This is why his stories fizzle out at the climax.
  • In my previous point I mentioned the fans being told that the maze is unescapable,well that's what Snyder entire run has been. We are just told things,when Snyder wants to get a point across he literally has to hammer it in to your face.I'll give you some examples "Owls eat Bats,Owls are the natural predator of the Bat,Owls ate Bats in the Bat cave centuries ago(why does this even matter?),Owls have nests everywhere,oh and did I mention Owls eat Bats",or how about Riddler for instance"You're my strategist Edward,I'm your uncle's strategist,I'm your strategist,your strategist king Batman,you are a strategist Edward" now we wouldn't mind if Riddler actually does something strategic,but here it's just empty talk and nothing more,false hype and he did the same thing with the Joker and Lincoln March. Since his stories have no substance and originality he has to resort to giving us empty words to make us care.
  • Unoriginal trite that opens itself to comparison to other stories,when you choose to call your story Death of the Family and claim it's gonna be on par with classic Joker stories before fans even get the chance to read it then it's going to get criticism no matter what,when you call your story zero year and claim it's Batman's origin rewritten then you're bound to earn the ire of of year one fans.My advice to Scott,write your own story dammit.
  • Snyder has this habit of tying everything in to the past,every single story he's written has him retroactively shoehorning events in to the past and eventually we are left worse off than we were.I can handle Snyder writing Batman stories that I dont care about,but I cant handle him f*cking up the characters history and continuity. There's plenty more if you wanna get specific but I find these to be the major flaws in his work.

Agreed with all the points, Bruce already had the chance to take the filament plates and I'm sure he already figured out how to escape before then why did he took 8 days to escape, Snyder wants us to believe that his villains are threatening when they are nothing more than something Bruce already deals on a weekly/monthly basis, his Batman is a weak, idiot, arrogant man who underestimates his opponents, cries when he's in pain, is afraid of silly things, can be sneaked up from behind and so much more or in this case less (seriously how did the Talon took his utility belt so easily), not to mention he adds nothing new to Batman mythos that can be considered good, on the contrary Snyder took everything that previous writers more noticeably Morrison has added to the mythos and destroyed it completely, his plots are weak, dialogues are uncharacteristic, his trying to go for something huge and epic but it always comes off as something small and disappointing, and yeah he's very unoriginal, I seriously doubt anyone will remember his run after its over.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

Comparing Morrison's run with Snyder's is like comparing classic epics like Star Wars and LoTR to one time watch action flicks like the Transformers. Snyder's run is very forgettable and anyone would hardly read it for a second time. Morrison his the best Batman writer and should come back to write Batman for another 5 years minimum.

@sog7dc: Think this comment is more of meant for Fade than, lol.

When Morrison gets a character he really gets a character. Check out his JLA run if you haven't already, fantastic stuff.

Agreed, his JLA and Batman runs are the best and All Star Superman is the definitive Superman story, now he's gonna write WW EO which I'm sure will be amazing.

@imagineman16: I loved the first 3 issues of his Batman run,they were excellent,the fourth one was good,then after #5 it went downhill.

I feel the same way. The first three were very good and the Alan Wayne stuff was interesting too. I've heard his Dick Grayson Batman run was good but now I think maybe it is overhyped too.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: Black Mirror was a great arc,Snyder got Dick's voice hands down and he established some cool new concepts andcharacters such as Wayne Industries having a high tech crime/forensic lab for the police from where Dick acted as a liaison,Sonia Branch and the Dealer(creepy old guy who auctions villain's weapons/items as merchandise.

But conversely I kinda hated what he did to James Gordon Jr,as a serial killer he was written perfectly,truly smart,savvy and capable of getting under your skin,it's just taking Gordon's son and making him Hannibal Lecter just didn't ring with me,still the best villain Snyder has written and the Joker was also written well there.

So overall it's definitely worth it but Snyder even then had the need to "change everything we know".

theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: so what you're saying is 'let people get away with saying dumb things', right? very well. you are not to be called out for your posts. by me. from now on. the other people with working brains. can'ts speak for them.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Gracetrack

@innervenom123: @decoyelite:

This is my opinion. I will be happy to provide more later, but I'm currently at work.

Here are at least two ways I think Snyder is better than Morrison:

• Less "Batgod" syndrome. Bruce's character is less infallible, and often much more believable/relatable, to me, because of it. Please, don't take this the wrong way. I love it when Batman shows off his genius intellect, as well as his astounding foresight and planning (I loved RIP and Return of Bruce Wayne), but Snyder knows how to showcase these abilities while still keeping the character a bit more grounded (so far). I'm all for
  • Simple but intelligent story telling. Snyder, so far, has shown himself to be better at telling a thought provoking, emotional tale, without getting too bogged down in abstract ideas, self-reference, or heady jargon. He might sometimes beat a simple concept into your head over and over again (as with the owls-bats motif in Court of Owls), but never have l felt like I was drowning in a torrent of abstract notions and double entendre that serves to distract and confuse the mind more than engage it and lead it on a journey.
DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnicrono: Alright, don't exactly agree, but your complaints about Morrison are understandable.

DylanOfEarth2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Im not going to lie the writing is good, not great but good enough. The reason I like it so much is mainly the art I think its incredible and fits snyders writing really well.

Also I think snyder has been getting worse I love court of owls, but I am not liking zero year so far.

ace20xd6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By ace20xd6

Snyder's Batman stories are good it's just the endings or last few issues to his arcs feel underdeveloped. For one in the Court of Owls Batman saying they do not exist because he searched for them when he was a kid and he just wanted them to exist.

Oh and I liked his story Black Mirror better than his new work.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

...yippy.

I might be egotistical, but at least I'm willing to admit it.

I do love how the people who like dull things love to use the "hipster" argument. Could it be that the other person simply likes things that aren't generic garbage? Nope, can't be that, they must just hate it because it's cool.

Well, you really have no reason to have an ego. You're a poster on a comic book forum. Unless you're one who's also won a Nobel Peace Prize or something, you're really not someone to be taken seriously. I mean, even to the writers you constantly hate on, you're kind of insignificant. You feel like Snyder needs your approval? He still has thousands of fans. You have...what? Two people who like your reviews? Yeah, I've read them. They're basically the pedantic ramblings of a charlatan masquerading as an intellectual.

And I have no problem with you not liking Snyder's run. I could really care less. What I don't like is your superiority complex. You feel like you have throw vitriol at it and criticize people who don't share your opinion. If we were talking about something important, like climate change or foreign policy, where in many cases, one position is literally the right position, you're behavior might be more excusable. But these are comic books. Whether you like a certain writer or not is inherently subjective and you have no right to belittle someone else's opinion.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: so what you're saying is 'let people get away with saying dumb things', right? very well. you are not to be called out for your posts. by me. from now on. the other people with working brains. can'ts speak for them.

Really? That's what you're gonna go with?

Thanks for proving my point. It seems that this, making people feel inferior about something as insignificant as comic books, really is your claim to self-esteem.

Wow. I really couldn't say anything more that would make your comments look less pathetic, so I'm just gonna let the fact that you rely on a website to boost your ego sink in.