• 155 results
TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

interesting

“Probably 5,000 people died in Metropolis.” That’s what director Zack Snyder said about the mass destruction in Metropolis. “But it has purpose. There’s sadness to the end of the movie. There is a human price, and that’s a thing that weighs on Superman, it’s important.

“Let’s not forget, he’s fighting basically his equal. He has no advantage in this scenario. In fact, Zod is a warrior, has been trained, and can fight a hundred times better than Superman.”

Snyder defended the destruction, even name dropping The Avengers, noting that no one seemed too bothered by large areas of New York being destroyed in broad daylight, “Do you think there weren’t thousands of people dying during that?”

The quotes came from an hour-long “Fan Q&A” put on by Warner Bros and Yahoo! Movies, where host Kevin Smith talked with Henry Cavill, Zack Snyder, and Amy Adams about Man of Steel. The mass destruction wasn’t the only thing he defended, also directly addressing the final choice Superman makes, to kill General Zod in order to end the destruction.

“That rule [that Superman doesn’t kill] really only came from the movies. He has killed a few times in the comic books, in fact, he’s killed Zod a couple of different times.

“He had to make a choice, and that choice weighed on him, as we saw right after, and it will weigh on him in the future.”

Snyder also talked about the costume choices, and why they took the underwear off the outside of the costume, saying, “Some questions kind of answer themselves, right?” The director, after the joke, explained that the original look was based on Victorian-era strongmen. They couldn’t show skin, so they would wear skin-colored bodysuits to give the illusion of nudity, then put on underwear over those to further the illusion. “It’s literally from a bygone era, literally a relic from something way in the past, and it just didn’t make sense to keep it around,” Snyder reasoned.

While no contract has been signed, Snyder did mention that Hans Zimmer has been asked back to score the sequel to Man of Steel, saying “We’ll have him back for as many of these as he’ll come back for.”

He was very sparse on any teases to the sequel, though. One family asked if they’d be shooting Smallville scenes back in Plano, IL, and Snyder stuttered and stammered. “I don’t think I can say anything, I will say that we… no, I can’t say, I’m sorry!”

Kevin Smith directed the conversation to the sequel specifically, though, saying he’s “so excited” to see Batman and Superman on the big screen together.

For Warner Brothers’ “We can be heroes” campaign, Snyder went to artists for promotional paintings, asking them to simply give their own interpretation of the announcement itself. “Take the excitement of the announcement and just go from that.” Those paintings will be auctioned off at www.ebay.com/wecanbeheroes.

As to the “versus” that has been teased for the story, Snyder wouldn't reveal the title, or even working title, of the movie. However, the director said “whether they’re fighting and become friends or friends who then fight, it’s fun to see the conflict of relationships there,” giving the first real confirmation that they will be fighting. “Of course, there will be some physical conflict there, too.”

http://www.newsarama.com/19533-snyder-confirms-physical-conflict-between-batman-superman-in-man-of-steel-sequel.html

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AweSam

We want to know how. Will he build an Iron Man suit or will he just beat the crap out of him with his bare fists. Anyway, Batman fighting Superman is always the worst thing they can do. The point of the team is that Batman is the brain and Superman is the brawn. If Batman's beating up Superman, then Superman just becomes unnecessary. This is why Batman fanboys exist and this is why they grow stronger.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

We want to know how. Will he build an Iron Man suit or will he just beat the crap out of him with his bare fists. Anyway, Batman fighting Superman is always the worst thing they can do. The point of the team is that Batman is the brain and Superman is the brawn. If Batman's beating up Superman, then Superman just becomes unnecessary. This is why Batman fanboys exist and this is why they grow stronger.

i hope they ditch the armor idea simply because it would look goofy. maybe bruce would somehow implant his gloves with shards of kryptonite and use it like a pair of brass knuckles?

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#4  Edited By Extremis

the thing that Snyder doesn't get is that the Avengers never lost sight of the human perspective in all that carnage. It had emotional weight to it. MoS did not and that's why it just felt meaningless on screen. I'm not surprised Snyder is oblivious to those nuances as he's not much of a filmmaker to begin with.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know how can Batman survive Superman, Kryptonite hasn't been introduced and unless he puts some kind of armor then Superman wins.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

the thing that Snyder doesn't get is that the Avengers never lost sight of the human perspective in all that carnage. It had emotional weight to it. MoS did not and that's why it just felt meaningless on screen. I'm not surprised Snyder doesn't pick up on those nuances as he's not much of a filmmaker to begin with.

eh i disagree with that. you have to remember clark was superman as a rookie. its not like hes been the big blue hero for 10 years. i think this is where the purists get lost because in mos they gave him more of a human feel of how does this one man with all this power deal with loss when he believes he can really save everyone? you look back at the old superman films with reeves they never really dived into him being more human but more of a hey heres the hero

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@extremis said:

the thing that Snyder doesn't get is that the Avengers never lost sight of the human perspective in all that carnage. It had emotional weight to it. MoS did not and that's why it just felt meaningless on screen. I'm not surprised Snyder doesn't pick up on those nuances as he's not much of a filmmaker to begin with.

eh i disagree with that. you have to remember clark was superman as a rookie. its not like hes been the big blue hero for 10 years. i think this is where the purists get lost because in mos they gave him more of a human feel of how does this one man with all this power deal with loss when he believes he can really save everyone? you look back at the old superman films with reeves they never really dived into him being more human but more of a hey heres the hero

Superman doesn't need to be a vet to humanize the loss of life.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission: ...I'm not talking about Superman. I'm talking about a director adding emotional relevance/weight to a scene instead of hitting the viewer over the head with CG animation and destruction.

There's an art to filmmaking that Snyder lacks.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission: If he's going to go with the most obvious thing, then they're better off not going with the fight.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Shut up Snyder your making things worse.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

@tazzmission: ...I'm not talking about Superman. I'm talking about a director adding emotional relevance/weight to a scene instead of hitting the viewer over the head with CG animation and destruction.

Avengers didn't exactly excelled in that area too.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Extremis
TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TazzMission

@rustyroy said:

@extremis said:

exactly. thats the irony amongst fanboys. they knock on one director for a thing and basicly claim the other guy who did pretty much the same is so amazing.

if joss weadon did mos the exact same way as snyder i guarantee you we wouldnt be having this discussion.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

@rustyroy: compared to MoS it did

Compared to Watchmen it didn't. The point is Whedon is a good writer too and Snyder isn't, and Goyer writing the script isn't helping, if Afflect can help him with the script then the movie can be better than MoS.

Juke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

If Batman doesn't get laid out then I will be disappointed, quite frankly. If Batman can beat Superman in a full-on battle then that renders Superman useless. I have a feeling this isn't really a MoS sequel and more of Bat's time to shine.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Extremis

@tazzmission: he wouldn't have made MoS the same way, that's my point. MoS sharted out significant doses of destruction without rooting it in any sort of context.

Both films had tons of destruction, but only Whedon handled it appropriately, keeping the story and character interactions progressing significantly throughout.

I wouldn't have minded the destruction in MoS if more happened in that 20 minutes then watching two CG characters pinball back and forth.

Also you got a lot of nerve calling me a fanboy when you obviously have blinders on.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: no it's not just that. He's not a very good director.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Of course we have to have the obligatory fanboy square down between these two that will probably leave the fight unresolved so as not to p*** off either group of fans on the outcome.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juke said:

If Batman doesn't get laid out then I will be disappointed, quite frankly. If Batman can beat Superman in a full-on battle then that renders Superman useless. I have a feeling this isn't really a MoS sequel and more of Bat's time to shine.

my only concern is i hope it wont be one of those eagerly anticipated fights and ends up being like batman winning in 10 seconds. i hate it when movies and even tv shows do that. all this build up then bam 10 seconds later the dude who was being dominated ends up defeating the opponent in a one hit type of way

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

@rustyroy: no it's not just that. He's not a very good director.

I disagree, he's not a great Director but with a good script, he can do a great job. Dawn of the Dead, 300, Watchmen are good movies. MoS also gets better with multiple viewings.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@extremis said:

exactly. thats the irony amongst fanboys. they knock on one director for a thing and basicly claim the other guy who did pretty much the same is so amazing.

if joss weadon did mos the exact same way as snyder i guarantee you we wouldnt be having this discussion.

Just so you are aware not everybody that disagrees with you is a fanboy

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By PeppeyHare

Kinda a given

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juke said:

my only concern is i hope it wont be one of those eagerly anticipated fights and ends up being like batman winning in 10 seconds. i hate it when movies and even tv shows do that. all this build up then bam 10 seconds later the dude who was being dominated ends up defeating the opponent in a one hit type of way

If the MoS's battles are any indication, we'll definitely get more than 10 secs. But the question is how, considering they want to keep it realistic.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission said:

@rustyroy said:

@extremis said:

Just so you are aware not everybody that disagrees with you is a fanboy

no worries i dont consider myself a fan boy either honestly. i guess you can say im tired of people saying things like well this guy sucks and chris nolan or weadon are the only 2 soul only directors to do comic book films. its like when mos was in production how many people do you think saw it simply because nolan was producer and thought he has 100% pull on that project?

i loved watchmen even though i never read the comic and i loved man of steel . till this day istill never saw 300 and i have zero desire to see sucker punch so.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@juke said:

How exactly does that make him useless? If he couldn't be beaten by a regular human that would make him useless.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: they're not that great. From a filmmaking standpoint he's nothin special.

It's obvious when you watch his movies how amateurish it is compared to Nolan or Whedon. Those two directors grasp the art of filmmaking much better and are more distinctive in creating an artistic voice with their movies. Snyder is just a mishmash of styles, none all too great. He does some stuff pretty darn well, but he has some glaring issues that have never sorted themselves out.

After a career of mediocre movies (which were all arguably better in story than in his execution), it's safe to say we can't expect much from him in the directors chair.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like Snyder knows exactly what he's doing to me.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TazzMission

@extremis said:

@rustyroy: they're not that great. From a filmmaking standpoint he's nothin special.

It's obvious when you watch his movies how amateurish it is compared to Nolan or Whedon. Those two directors grasp the art of filmmaking much better and are more distinctive in creating an artistic voice with their movies. Snyder is just a mishmash of styles, none all too great. He does some stuff pretty darn well, but he has some glaring issues that have never sorted themselves out.

After a career of mediocre movies (which were all arguably better in story than in his execution), it's safe to say we can't expect much from him in the directors chair.

he must be doing something right in order for studios to keep giving him movies to do. also lets be honest no filmaker is immune to fail no matter how great they are. also joss has directed some crap himself agents of shield being one of them . nolan however i havent seen all of his work so i cant really say but dude cmon even guys like lucas spielberg has there share of bad movies

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RustyRoy

@extremis: I said good movies not great, and I only know Whedon's work on Avengers and Watchmen was a better movie than that, I don't know what makes him so great, Avengers was good but nothing great. Snyder has a good track record, except Sucker Punch all of his movies were good, Avengers had nothing artistic quality to it, Watchmen was artistic, 300 was artistic ad why is Nolan even in the conversation? He's doing his own thing now.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission: dude why are you mentioning Snyder in the same sentence as some of those great directors?

No one said great directors can't direct a turd every once and a while, but GREAT directors don't ONLY direct mediocre movies. Hence, Zack Snyder.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I'm looking forward to the movie.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission: Nolan didn't made a bad movie yet, all of his movies are from good to great.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: lol Watchmen is not better. Check the reviews buddy. That and fan response.

The only reason it's pretty decent is because the source material is basically the best work in comics. Just imagine if a much better director helmed that movie.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

@tazzmission: dude why are you mentioning Snyder in the same sentence as some of those great directors?

No one said great directors can't direct a turd every once and a while, but GREAT directors don't ONLY direct mediocre movies. Hence, Zack Snyder.

do you direct movies? because it sounds like you think you know what your talking about. despite how you feel about snyder and his medicore movies you have to look at it from a buinsess prospective not just a director prospectie. hell i think michael bay is by far one of the worst directors in hollywood but do you know why he keeps getting work? because as garbage as they were the transformers franchise alone made the studio a truck load of money . man of steel did a fair amount of money wich is why wb decided to keep snyder. i mean hey hey why do you think they didnt keep singer around? because returns couldnt turn a profit. at the end of the day its all about box office numbers and the money the studio gets from it.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Extremis

@tazzmission: you don't have to be a filmmaker to understand filmmaking and know what works.

Why do people always revert to the money argument? We already know this is a free market economy why bring it up?Anyway if you want to go down this path, Just because money is the driving force behind the movie market (and every market in this economy) doesn't mean it spawns good movies - just like you've pointed out with Transformers. So if anything I'm not sure what you're saying other than to agree that MoS isn't that good of a movie.

Also, as consumers we shouldn't stop calling movies bad or mediocre if they are just because "money". Which also, if you believe it or not, helps contribute to these decisions by the studio. If fan response and critical response was bad and people would have the sense to stay away from bad stuff, studios would learn their lesson. And it has happened. If the consumers demand top quality movies that's what the studios will have to put out.

I'm calling it like it is as far as Snyder is concerned. I could care less if WB thinks is makes them more money, it makes them a worse movie than they could potentially make and hurts them in the long run. Marvel has been hiring great directing talents, so it's not a good excuse.

Also, transformers made lots of money, but did it make Avengers money? No. There's incentive there to make good big budget flicks.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RustyRoy

@extremis: You know many movies were considered bad when they were released, now some of them are considered one of the best movies. And from what I've seen the fan reaction has changed drastically for Watchmen, its considered one of the best CBMs among many fans now. And no, not many director could have directed Watchmen like Snyder did, many have said that it wasn't a movie material, even Alan Moore said that, and it was stuck in development hell for a decade so the fact that Snyder did such a great job shows that he is a good director. Its all opinion I guess, I still think Watchmen is a better movie than Avengers.

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wasted an all that time for nothing why have Kev be their if they werent going to say anything about MOS2 even the a freaking title would have been worth it

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TazzMission

@rustyroy said:

@extremis: You know many movies were considered bad when they were released, now some of them are considered one of the best movies. And from what I've seen the fan reaction has changed drastically for Watchmen, its considered one of the best CBMs among many fans now. And no, not many director could have directed Watchmen like Snyder did, many have said that it wasn't a movie material, even Alan Moore said that, and it was stuck in development hell for a decade so the fact that Snyder did such a great job shows that he is a good director. Its all opinion I guess, I still think Watchmen is a better movie than Avengers.

story wise and visually i agree watchmen is better. but as far as a pure fun thrill ride avengers wins in that catagory. not every comic book movie needs to be realistic like nolans bat trilogy. for me at least man of steel had a damn good story because it does mess with the human head with the how would the world react if an alien did walk among us and looked like us? hell i even teared up during the pa kent and clark scenes as well as jorel and clark. also being a child of 2 worlds is a heavy burden because on the one side the person who is raising you is basicly saying dont use your power for anything wile the real father is saying you can be a god or hero to the people. thats why in regards to mos2 and batman being involved thats where i think at first i wa slike guh really i want my real mos sequel

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: haha that's your opinion but it doesn't mean that's the accepted opinion. Snyder has yet to direct a substantially good film, and I think many people would agree.

DC could do better, whether you like Watchmen or not. They could do much better. Which is sad they don't realize it.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MuyJingo

@awesam said:

What do you expect? Brains beat brawn most of the time.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41 the_stegman  Moderator

They'll fight and it'll be a draw, obviously.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

@rustyroy: haha that's your opinion but it doesn't mean that's the accepted opinion. Snyder has yet to direct a substantially good film, and I think many people would agree.

DC could do better, whether you like Watchmen or not. They could do much better. Which is sad they don't realize it.

Doesn't mean yours is the accepted opinion, Snyder has already directed some good movies, and I think many people would agree.

DC is doing good, and good is well good, in fact DC's movies are as good as Marvel's, the only thing they're behind is that they have yet to make a good movie about characters like WW and Flash etc.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TazzMission

@rustyroy said:

@extremis said:

Doesn't mean yours is the accepted opinion, Snyder has already directed some good movies, and I think many people would agree.

DC is doing good, and good is well good, in fact DC's movies are as good as Marvel's, the only thing they're behind is that they have yet to make a good movie about characters like WW and Flash etc.

you know i watch this show on youtube called amc movie talk and someone wrote in asking should dc have brought aquaman into the mos franchise. now i havent read the new johns version but people say hes a bad ass. now that i look back on it how crazy would that be if aquaman was introduced instead of batman and we got to see atlantis and all? that would be a cool way to kind of build there cinimatic universe instead of following the marvel formula.

todays how

Loading Video...

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: lol well it's accepted opinion that Snyder has yet to direct a movie that has been received well by critics. RT isn't always a great indication but when looking at a directors filmography, I tend to think it is. What's his highest rated?

DC's movies aren't as good when considering the connected universe as it's just started. Nolan is one thing, but he's gone and that's all self contained and behind is now.

So far it's too early to call but Marvel has found much better directors compared to Snyder thus far. And given that MoS stunk compared to IM1, Marvel is winning big time.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Extremis

@the_stegman: hmm I was thinking it'd end in a tie. To each their own I guess.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@extremis said:

@rustyroy: lol well it's accepted opinion that Snyder has yet to direct a movie that has been received well by critics. RT isn't always a great indication but when looking at a directors filmography, I tend to think it is. What's his highest rated?

DC's movies aren't as good when considering the connected universe as it's just started. Nolan is one thing, but he's gone and that's all self contained and behind is now.

So far it's too early to call but Marvel has found much better directors compared to Snyder thus far. And given that MoS stunk compared to IM1, Marvel is winning big time.

MOS, stank compared to IM1? Well as much as I am a fan of IM1 (its one of my top 3 marvel films), MOS took more at the Box Office, so it cant have been that bad...it had its flaws but showed enough promise to suggest DC can move on from here.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

76 for Dawn of the Dead but audience rating for all of his movies are above 75, which is what really matters.

You know by your statement there is only one movie released yet, because the connected movie universe starts from MoS and it is accepted well among the fans.

Compared to Thor, Captain America MoS is ahead big time, and even Thor 2 can't match MoS. And Batman is ahead of Iron Man. And if we're comparing quality then count Road to Perdition, A History Of Violence, V For Vendetta etc, these are Oscar nominated movies.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

guys watch the video i posted. he go's into detail as to why nightwing will suck in batman vs superman

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: of course it did well at the box, it's Superman produced by Nolan. Those names being linked alone drew a crowd.

But Iron Man is a mch better movie regardless.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Extremis

@rustyroy: well to me, I like quality. And Snyder isn't good enough. So to get back to the point, DC has made a grave mistake betting it all on a mediocre talent. Ill end it there.