Scott Snyder's writing style

Avatar image for jjdajetplane223
jjdajetplane223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I like the guy. I've been picking up Batman ever since the new 52 reboot. And I read The Wake, Superman Unchained, and I've read Vol. 1 of American Vampire. So I like the guy.

But at the same time, I keep hearing his annoying voice while reading his books. I can't get it out of my head. Sometimes, it even keeps me up at night.

I guess I can just hear the transparent "message" he's trying to get across. Seems like he always has something to say which can be good when done well and bad when it isn't (like most things in life).

With Court of Owls, he kept waxing poetic about "cities" and the "urban mysteries" and "secrets" that they hold. With Death of the Family, it was all about the Batman/Joker "You love me! You just don't know it! Your sidekicks drown you out!" I can't quite criticize Zero Year like this. ZY is easily Scott's best work in my opinion. Very well balanced, doesn't seem like he's trying to say anything to deep, although Red Hood One had monologues-a-plenty that got a little ridiculous.

Batman 28, a preview for Batman: Eternal, came out last week, and I saw a line from Selina Kyle and right away knew that wasn't the last I was going to hear it. It was about her running the "underworld" and she said something along the lines of "I saved the underworld! It's acting how it's supposed to act! (or: "It's serving it's purpose.") Now I guarantee that Scott will have a whole "message" about urban crime and how it actually serves a purpose to cities, and it can't be completely eradicated so it needs to be controlled, and gangs have a purpose and blah blah blah.

Like I said, I think Scott is a genius. As an aspiring writer, I know my work can never match Scott's in intellectual value. But he does get a little preachy sometimes and that doesn't mesh well with his writing style because he already has his characters say a lot. Seriously if you read their lines aloud you'll be like "No one talks like this." Add a preachy message into the mix, and it gets to be a lot to handle.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think everyone does that. In movies and games and books. People always say things no one really says in real life. Every writer does that.

Avatar image for jjdajetplane223
jjdajetplane223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree. There's plenty of books that when I read them aloud, I could see the conversations taking place in real life.

But my point was the Scott's overly-wordy style doesn't mesh well with preachy overtones that I get from his work.

Alertcircuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope 30 years from now he doesn't turn into Mr. Dick Grayson, age 12.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I dunno.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@jayc1324 said:

I think everyone does that. In movies and games and books. People always say things no one really says in real life. Every writer does that.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@jjdajetplane223: The only person that writes how people talk IRL is Bendis and people hate it

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Kumquatodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Kumquatodor

I hope 30 years from now he doesn't turn into Mr. Dick Grayson, age 12.

Oh my... That would be brutal... Brutally brutal, in fact... So brutal... It would be brutal...

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eternal19: then 90% of mainstream writers aren't good.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Eternal19