Q: How long did Batman train and where did he train?

Rh93535

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I mean in the comics not the Nolan films.

Breadspread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

15 years I think. There's a cool story in Legends of the Dark Knight called "I hate when he does that" about a young Bruce in training, the story takes place in Thailand, and at the end of it he's planning on going to Eygpt. I'd love to read more stories about this part of Bruce's life and started a thread about it:

http://www.comicvine.com/batman/4005-1699/forums/i-hate-it-when-he-does-that-1475444/#3

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Due to the sliding time scale and variable ages, there's few exact numbers as to how long. What IS known is that he trained all over the world, in pretty much every style of martial arts known to man. He also learned various other things he'd need, such as detective skills, stunt driving, skills in sneaking, etc.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#4  Edited By Black_Claw

Probably around 10 or a little more than that in the old continuity. His time of training was probably a lot shorter in the new 52.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

EmperorJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was once said that he trained over-seas(not specific as to where), but assumed somewhere in Southeast Asia among other places. He spent 12 years on his journey and trained in Chemistry/General Sciences, Varied forms of Martial Arts, Burglary(Ninja Style), and Manhunting.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From age 14 to 20-25 is generally how long he's been depicted as training, but his education started not long after his parents died.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#8  Edited By batmannflash

in Batgirl Vol. 1 he told Cassandra Cain that it took 10 years to be Batman.

But that always changes. idk about the New 52

DarkKnight1939

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DarkKnight1939

Didn't his parents die when he was around 6-8 or maybe 10 years old? In that case he would have commenced his education shortly after, and his physical training not long after that. In Batman: Year One, it is said he had waited 18 years before he finds his purpose and identity as Batman. In that case, indeed it took 18 years to be Batman if you count his education as well as physical training. He is believed to have travelled around the world, in places such as Asia, learning all he needed to know: Martial Arts, Criminology, Chemistry/Forensics. Pictured is the Year One image as well as his origin story.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Vikings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As stated before, he's trained all over the world. Japan, France, etc. Brazil too I believe. He's a master of Jiu Jitsu, as well as many other forms of martial arts. I believe he trained as a Samurai or Ninja in Japan as well. France he was trained as an assassin by Henri Ducard. David Caine also was one of his many mentors, who was a member of the League of Assassins.

As for how long, the simple answer is a little over a decade. You could argue though that he is still learning and training today. Every villain he fights, and mistake he makes improves him as Batman both physically and mentally.

Avatar image for matthewscooby1986
matthewscooby1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rh93535: 18 years. From te time he was 8 he started his training. He has mastered all forms of martial arts and has over 6-8 masters degrees. ( supposedly) in order for batman to do this he would need a larger time frame. It would be impossible for any human to do all that in just 12 years. The most logical answer is 18 years. Then again this is a comic book world, so impossible is possible.

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Dark City Rex: Approximate Angst

We definitely want to get the feeling that the Dark Knight had enough education in training in the areas of human mysticism as it relates to psychology and fitness (i.e., terrorism consciousness, combat culture, etc.), since his Gotham is plagued with a sense of brooding shadows of ghouls and gargoyles.

We don't want to feel complacent with the socialite luxuries enjoyed by the adult Bruce Wayne and his Wayne Enterprises.

The Nolanverse does a good job of presenting the notion that young Bruce's inquiries into ninja culture gave him a view of vigilantism, and "Batman: Year One" (Frank Miller) presents a young developing Bruce-Batman encountering a young Selina Kyle and experimenting with law enforcement consciousness.

I would agree that the breadth and scope of his skills would take at least 15 years to hone and then we have to consider how Batman stories about the crusader actually tackling the likes of Bane and Scarecrow involve the Dark Knight constantly wrestling intellectually/emotionally with the complexities associated with criminal insanity.

What are the all stories/issues of Bruce Wayne developing his vigilante skills and interests in foreign lands? Does anyone have a complete list at hand?

No Caption Provided