• 103 results
#1 Posted by MasterDetective (855 posts) - - Show Bio

I was skeptic when they announced that they would reboot the Batman stories, but now I'm glad they did

I read the 2 first arcs of the Batman issues and I was like "these the best Batman ever!!"

good art (except issue 12 were I have no idea why there were these horrible drawings at the end), thrilling suspense (I couldn't stop turning the pages), Batman acting like a detective (which was absent in Loeb's comics)

New 52's like the perfect Batman comics, I'm not the only one here feeling like this am I?

Also, question: should I read "Dark Knight" and "Batman and Robin"? are they good? because I started reading Detective Comics, but it bored me...

#2 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6464 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman and Rob are good Dark Knight don't waste your time and I don't know about best Batman but pretty darn close and read Batman Inc it's awesome

#3 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanted to buy the first paperback of Snyder's run because of all the hype surrounding it...but it was sold out at my local bookstore.

Is Court of Owls really that popular?

#4 Posted by Black_Claw (3091 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman and Robin is awesome. But stay away from The Dark Knight as much as you can. Worst bat book ever.

#5 Posted by RustyRoy (13915 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman an Robin is far better than TDK but TDK isn't that bad, its an average book.

#6 Edited by MasterDetective (855 posts) - - Show Bio

So it's decided then, most of you don't like DK...thanks for answering

@veshark said:

I wanted to buy the first paperback of Snyder's run because of all the hype surrounding it...but it was sold out at my local bookstore.

It's the best Batman story you'll ever read bro.

#7 Edited by ngroove (318 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterdetective said:

I was skeptic when they announced that they would reboot the Batman stories, but now I'm glad they did

I read the 2 first arcs of the Batman issues and I was like "these the best Batman ever!!"

good art (except issue 12 were I have no idea why there were these horrible drawings at the end), thrilling suspense (I couldn't stop turning the pages), Batman acting like a detective (which was absent in Loeb's comics)

New 52's like the perfect Batman comics, I'm not the only one here feeling like this am I?

Also, question: should I read "Dark Knight" and "Batman and Robin"? are they good? because I started reading Detective Comics, but it bored me...

Yes, as Dark Knight is commonly now the place if you ever want to read Scarecrow and Mad Hatter, and Detective, for most of the recent developments of Penguin.

But no, I won't consider New 52s "The Best" - yet. I'll be the judge in several more months, given they uphold the use of Riddler this Summer.

#8 Edited by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterdetective

I'm not sure Batman comics needed the New 52 to be as strong as they currently are. I do like his new costume though. Really glad he lost the outside-underwear.

Read Batman & Robin! It's just as good as the main Batman title - sometimes a little worse, sometimes a little better. Batman: The Dark Knight isn't worth its asking price in my opinion.

#9 Edited by MasterDetective (855 posts) - - Show Bio

All right, I'll read Batman and Robin if I find them.

Thanks

#10 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2146 posts) - - Show Bio

yes,yes,yes,yes,yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: popular yes. good meh. mediocre batman story in my book.

#12 Posted by Billy Batson (58319 posts) - - Show Bio

And how much Batman have you read?
BB

#13 Posted by TDK_1997 (15075 posts) - - Show Bio

You seriously think that Snyder's Batman run is the best run ever and that Court of Owls and Night of the Owls are the best stories?

Please read something else and then comment.

#14 Posted by MasterDetective (855 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

You seriously think that Snyder's Batman run is the best run ever and that Court of Owls and Night of the Owls are the best stories?

like what?

#15 Posted by TDK_1997 (15075 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

like what?

Like a good Batman story.Read Grant Morrison's run and then talk about the best Batman story and best Batman run.

#16 Posted by UncleEmu (179 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't go for Morrison's run yet. Please answer a few questions first:

1) What other Batman stories have you read?

2) How long have you been reading Batman?

3) Who is your favorite superhero?

#17 Posted by TheCannon (19430 posts) - - Show Bio

*Looks title and laughs*

#18 Posted by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

Why are people trolling the OP? Snyder's run on Batman has been nothin short of fantastic thus far!

There's an elitist stench hanging in the air of this forum.

#19 Posted by TheJSquad34 (42 posts) - - Show Bio

or just truth tellers in the fact Snyder is over hyped

#20 Edited by Extremis (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

Truth teller? It's purely subjective.

But if you want to get down to it Snyder's Batman is gettin some of the best critical reviews a comic can get. Not to mention tons of people enjoy it. So really you're just on the outside looking in. Hence why I'm not surprised that you're such a wet blanket JSquad. It's OK though, Lots of us are enjoying our Batman every month with or without you :)

#22 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

The old VS the young.

Pre-52 DC VS New-52 DC.

The oldest war... the war of generations.

Can you smell it, Comicvine?

It smells delicious.

#23 Posted by tec79 (168 posts) - - Show Bio

Snyder's run has been enjoyable but best ever it is not.The writing has been decent the concepts good but the execution lacking. Capullo's art has been great and has really helped to drive tne positive reviews and fan response.

#24 Posted by MasterDetective (855 posts) - - Show Bio

@uncleemu said:

Is this a police questioning or something? lol

1) Batman year 1, Long Halloween, All the Batman Adventures including its spin-offs, Dark Knight Returns, Dark Victory and many old Batman/Detective Comics issues from the 30's to the 70's

2) About 1 year I'd say...

3) do you really have to ask... *points at username*

#25 Edited by nappystr8 (1155 posts) - - Show Bio

Snyder's Batman is good. Good enough for me to stay on for 20 issues. But I would not consider it required reading for the character. Haven't read the Black Mirror stuff, but Court of Owls was overlong and Death of the Family ended in a whisper. I can't say I'm a huge Batman fan, but Snyder's run in the New 52 just doesn't cut it for me.

I definitely suggest picking up the first arc of Batman and Robin with the character Nobody. I think it fits very well with the tone of Snyder's work. After that point the quality drops a bit, but for a huge Batman fan, I think it's still worth reading.

#26 Posted by UncleEmu (179 posts) - - Show Bio

@uncleemu said:

1) Batman year 1, Long Halloween, All the Batman Adventures including its spin-offs, Dark Knight Returns, Dark Victory and many old Batman/Detective Comics issues from the 30's to the 70's

Just trying to get an eye for you taste hahaa

try

Batman Hush

Under the Hood

arkham asylum - a serious house on serious earth

#27 Posted by thejman251 (435 posts) - - Show Bio

- I disagree. I'm quite tired of Snyder's inane drivel and i cannot wait until he is removed from the main Batman title.

- As much as i hate Grant Morrison(the comic book writer that i hate the most), i'd rather have Morrison on the main Batman title and that should probably tell you something.

- Additionally, i feel as though all of the Batman books are trash save B&R which i find to be a good read.

#28 Edited by sinestro_GL (3322 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

There's an elitist stench hanging in the air of this forum.

You hit the nail on the head there my fellow Viner!

But don't say you don't like Morrison (as I have), you'll soon get a barrage of hate-posts telling you that all other authors are crap, and let praise be known for the dimension and time travelling Morrison.

#29 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

I read all Batman new 52 series.

I like all.

#30 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1310 posts) - - Show Bio

Detective Comics is really picking up and you should give it another chance! The last arc with Emperor Penguin was great and had a fantastic ending! As for all the people who dislike The Dark Knight, it's not quite an intellectual thrill ride but it is still quite an action packed and fun book. Batman and Robin is absolutly flawless. If you can only pick up two Bat-Books you should go with Batman and Robin and Batman, third best would be current Detective comics imo. And I just realized I forgot Batman Inc.....Fck it I love them all!

#31 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio
@tdk_1997 said:

@masterdetective said:

@tdk_1997 said:

like what?

Like a good Batman story.Read Grant Morrison's run and then talk about the best Batman story and best Batman run.

Oh boy, here come the Grant Morrison followers. Morrison's run isn't even in the top 5. He's obsessed with his own absurdity.

#32 Posted by TDK_1997 (15075 posts) - - Show Bio

@reignmaker: You are telling me that Morrison's run is not in Top 5 runs for the character?

Are you serious?

#33 Edited by spidermonkey2099 (615 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say that Scott Snyder's Batman stories (at least the ones that I've read- Black Mirror, Gates of Gotham, Court of Owls, and City of Owls) are among the best Batman stories, right up there with Frank Miller's Year One and The Dark Knight Returns. I don't think it surpasses those two stories though (and there are a few other stories that I'd put in that list of top tier Batman stories).

Batman and Robin- Born to Kill is also a very good story. I highly recommend it. The only other New 52 Bat-titles that I've read are Nightwing and Batgirl. The first volume of Nightwing is a very good story that reads like a companion book to Scott Snyder's Batman- The Court of Owls. I've read the first two volumes of Batgirl and it was very good. Gail Simone writes a very good Barbara Gordon.

#34 Posted by RustyRoy (13915 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Morrison's run is one of the best Batman runs in history of the character if not the best. He defined the character for the modern age comics. Though its my opinion entirely.

#35 Posted by sinestro_GL (3322 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

Grant Morrison's run is one of the best Batman runs in history of the character if not the best. He defined the character for the modern age comics. Though its my opinion entirely.

meh. I think Burton and Timm had more of an impact on Batman than Morrison (yes, I know that they weren't comics, per sé)...as your avatar pays tribute to.

I'd like to think that Morrison added to an already rich character that Batman is...it wasn't so much a "redefining" for me (that's more Frank Miller territory) rather than an extension

#36 Edited by tupiaz (2241 posts) - - Show Bio

@uncleemu said:

@masterdetective said:

@uncleemu said:

try

Batman Hush

Under the Hood

Batman: Hush is the most overrated Batman story i have read.

In stead you should try:

Venom - What happens when Batman feels he has to take drugs to preform as Batman.

Killing Joke - IMO the best Batman story.

Arkham Asylum is good however pretty artistic.

#37 Posted by frogdog (3537 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison not a top 5 batman writer? Synder fanboys should try stand up comedy.

#38 Edited by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

Yeah, it is pretty awesome to be honest! Almost in the same league as Dark Knight Returns, Year One or The Killing Joke, in my opinion.

@frogdog said:

Yes they should, Morrison is incredible. I do however prefer All Star Superman over everything else he's written.

#39 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio

For the love of -

No. Just no.

Snyder's Batman is just a rehash of various other, better, stories dumbed down for cretins. It's appealing to new fans because it requires no understanding of the character to grasp, because Snyder doesn't understand any of the characters either.

#40 Posted by UncleEmu (179 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

@uncleemu said:

@masterdetective said:

@uncleemu said:

try

Batman Hush

Under the Hood

Batman: Hush is the most overrated Batman story i have read.

In stead you should try:

Venom - What happens when Batman feels he has to take drugs to preform as Batman.

Killing Joke - IMO the best Batman story.

Arkham Asylum is good however pretty artistic.

Batman Hush has some flaws, but it's still awesome. Killing Joke is the most overrated Batman story

#41 Edited by RustyRoy (13915 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

meh. I think Burton and Timm had more of an impact on Batman than Morrison (yes, I know that they weren't comics, per sé)...as your avatar pays tribute to.

I'd like to think that Morrison added to an already rich character that Batman is...it wasn't so much a "redefining" for me (that's more Frank Miller territory) rather than an extension

The only good Batman stories by Miller was Year One and TDKR and even if these two are one of the best comics ever, I don't consider it as the definitive modern age version of Batman. He established some characteristics of Batman but Morrison defined the character and his personality. He took elements from all eras of Batman including Miller Batman, combined it and then elevated it to the next level. To me the extension is the more important part. Its like Miller came up with a theory but Morrison proved it as fact through 6 years of experiments and hard works.

#42 Posted by RustyRoy (13915 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

Yeah, it is pretty awesome to be honest! Almost in the same league as Dark Knight Returns, Year One or The Killing Joke, in my opinion.

@frogdog said:

Yes they should, Morrison is incredible. I do however prefer All Star Superman over everything else he's written.

Court of Owls is nowhere near DRK, Year One or The Killing Joke but respect your opinion. Also I prefer Arkham Asylum over All Star Superman, its up there with DRK, Year One or The Killing Joke in my opinion.

#43 Edited by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

For the love of -

No. Just no.

Snyder's Batman is just a rehash of various other, better, stories dumbed down for cretins. It's appealing to new fans because it requires no understanding of the character to grasp, because Snyder doesn't understand any of the characters either.

I think Snyder understands Batman better than most self proclaimed Batman experts. Hes been reading the character since he was a kid and hes an award winning writer. His stuff is critically acclaimed and financial successes. A lot of old Batman stories that are popular and influential dont stand up to Court of Owls and Black Mirror in my opinion.

#44 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy: Well Court of Owls is in my top 10 Batman stories, DKR, Year One and The Killing Joke are the top 3 in that list, in that order.

As much as I love Arkham Asylum I personally feel that it is an artistic accomplishment more than anything else, it also makes my top Batman list.

#45 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio

@savagedragon said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

For the love of -

No. Just no.

I think Snyder understands Batman better than most self proclaimed Batman experts. Hes been reading the character since he was a kid and hes an award winning writer. His stuff is critically acclaimed and financial successes. A lot of old Batman stories that are popular and influential dont stand up to Court of Owls and Black Mirror in my opinion.

Most of those critics don't understand Batman. Funny that IGN has guys who've never really reviewed Batman before reviewing Snyder's terrible run.

#46 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy @shark_repellent_bat_spray

Seems Snyder's stuff is pretty polarizing. I might check it out, just to see what all the fuss is about. There must be a reason why it's so critically-acclaimed and generated so much buzz since its release.

I did love Arkham Asylum though, it's disturbing, symbolic, and really a good representation of Morrison's weirder pre-JLA work. I never figured out if it was in or out of continuity though. But for my money, All-Star will always be Morrison's best work.

#47 Posted by gregroyj42 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say the court of Owls is top 5 Batman stories, best I'm not so sure.

1. No man's Land

2. Hush

3. Knightfall

4. Court of Owls

5. Long Halloween

#48 Posted by RustyRoy (13915 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy: Well Court of Owls is in my top 10 Batman stories, DKR, Year One and The Killing Joke are the top 3 in that list, in that order.

As much as I love Arkham Asylum I personally feel that it is an artistic accomplishment more than anything else, it also makes my top Batman list.

Its more than an artistic accomplishment for me, Arkham Asylum defined Batman's relationship with his villains, it also showed a side of Bruce that no other writer dared to show atleast not so directly, it showed his similarities with his villains. AA and DKR are the best representation of Batman's psyche just as Killing Joke is the best representation of Joker's.

#49 Edited by RustyRoy (13915 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@rustyroy @shark_repellent_bat_spray

Seems Snyder's stuff is pretty polarizing. I might check it out, just to see what all the fuss is about. There must be a reason why it's so critically-acclaimed and generated so much buzz since its release.

I did love Arkham Asylum though, it's disturbing, symbolic, and really a good representation of Morrison's weirder pre-JLA work. I never figured out if it was in or out of continuity though. But for my money, All-Star will always be Morrison's best work.

Snyder's stories are pretty good but he's characterization of Batman isn't that good. He's good at plotting but he doesn't add anything to Batman as a character. Also I consider Arkham Asylum as Morrison's best work, though I also love All-Star Superman its not up to the level of Arkham. I consider AA as one of the best Elseworlds story, All-Star isn't that special to me.

#50 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy

To each his own, I suppose. All-Star was the comic that made me into a Superman fan, and I still consider it in my Top 5. It has Silver Age trappings, but it's style is always progressive - and it has everything a great Superman story needs: Fights, an epic scale, and lots of heart.