James Tynion IV Talks BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL, Creating a New Villain, and Bringing Back Cassandra Cain

• 83 results
gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Last week we talked to Tony Daniel who will be doing some art and covers for the upcoming weekly BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL #1. We just had the chance to talk to James Tynion IV, one of the "showrunners" for the twenty-six issue weekly series. We'll be seeing a new villain that ties into Batman's past along with the re-introduction of Cassandra Cain to the DCU.

(Art credits: Pencils by Tony S. Daniel, Inks by Sandu Florea, Colors by Tomeu Morey).

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: What made you decided to come on board another Batman weekly series?

JAMES TYNION IV: It’s a pretty simple answer. I loved doing the first one. A weekly series like this, it’s pretty unique in the fact that you get all the toys in the toy box. You get to play with all the biggest characters in a certain corner of the DCU. You get to tell a story with huge major repercussions. Honestly, I couldn’t say no. Scott [Snyder] and I had some ideas coming out of the first BATMAN ETERNAL. We knew we had stories we still wanted to tell. It’s really exciting to be back at it again.

CV: I’m excited too.

JAMES: Alright.

CV: How were all the different writers selected?

JAMES: We wanted to bring in some new blood in this story and give a few people who haven’t had a chance to tackle the Batman mythos before a big in to the story. Ed Brisson, Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly are making their Batman debut on this story. And then we’re bringing in some people who are making the Batman books great across the line right now. We have Steve Orlando from MIDNIGHTER, Genevieve Valentine from CATWOMAN, and we have Tim Seeley, from the first BATMAN ETERNAL and GRAYSON. Tim is very important for this series because this story features Dick Grayson up front and center. Having a member of the GRAYSON team, especially someone I had such a great time working with the first time, was absolutely key.

No Caption Provided

CV: What can you tell us about the old Batman case that brings about this story?

JAMES: The biggest thing that excited us about telling a story like this is right now we’re in a very strange moment in Batman continuity. Bruce Wayne does not remember he was Batman. Jim Gordon is currently running around Gotham City as Batman. Imagine there was a villain—someone so huge and terrifying that in Batman’s early years, no one else…this is the big bad. One of the worst people he’s ever faced. It got to the point that the things he had to do in order to defeat that person, are things that have weighed on him for years. He thought they were gone. If a figure like that comes back in the present and Bruce was the only one who really knows who this person is and remembers that mystery.

This is something where they don’t have the pieces in order to defeat what they’re up against. It’s a case that goes right back to the era that Dick Grayson was Robin. That is also key in our story. The reason that Bruce kept this case from Dick, that’s central to the mystery that we’re telling. This is a story about the nature of the relationship between Batman and Robin.

No Caption Provided

CV: With Dick being in this story, is the rest of the Bat Family going to discover he’s still alive?

JAMES: This is a seed you might actually see play out in GRAYSON, right before the launch of this. Stay tuned there. This is the big Batman story that brings Dick Grayson back into the Bat Family. Without Bruce at the center, it’s Dick really stepping up to be the center of the Bat Family, in this strange new world.

CV: What can you tell us about Cassandra Cain’s role, besides what you said at San Diego with her having a “central role”?

JAMES: I want to hit that note again. Cassandra Cain is one of the key characters to this story. She will be in the story from issue #1 on and at the heart of the mystery of what happened in the past and what’s happening in the present. That’s also one of the frustrating things because she’s not someone that can straight up sit you down and reveal exactly the machinations of the big villain that was building in the past.

It’s very very exciting to get to play with Cassandra Cain again. I grew up on Cassandra Cain stories and she is one of my all time favorite Batman characters. This is the story that’s going to bring her back in a huge way. There are going to be things that’ll be a little different. This is going to be us introducing a generation to Cassandra Cain. It’s not us bringing back the exact same Cassandra Cain that walked out of continuity after the events of Flashpoint when we launched the New 52. The people out there who have been loving Cassandra for years and years and years and have been wanting her back, we want to do the character justice by them. We also want the number of Cassandra fans to be quadrupled by the end of this so that everyone demands she stays in the DCU here and far into the future.

CV: Will she have a costume or codename?

JAMES: …That’s something you guys are going to have to wait and see. We’re not bringing her back in the Batgirl role. She’s going to be there as Cassandra. What we’re building her towards is something you guys are going to have to wait and see over the course of the twenty-six issues.

CV: I think I recall you saying in the past that Tim Drake was your favorite Robin. Is that still the case and will he have a big role?

JAMES: Yeah. All of the Robins are going to play into this story. Right off the bat, Damian Wayne is off on his adventures in ROBIN SON OF BATMAN. He’ll come into the story a bit later on. Right now, the first three Robins, Dick, Jason, and Tim, are going to be up front and center in this story alongside the new addition of Cassandra Cain and Harper Row. Harper will also be absolutely central to this tale.

No Caption Provided

CV: What are you most excited about in BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL?

JAMES: I’m really really excited about the opportunity to build a new A-list villain for Batman in the DCU. It’s an opportunity that writers rarely get to take. The character we’re building, Mother, she’s one of the most frightening concepts I’ve ever had. I am really really excited to introduce her to the DCU and scare the universe with her as much as much as she scares me.

Don't miss the BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL SPECIAL EDITION #1 available free on Batman Day, September 26. BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL #1 is on sale October 7.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

She's back, She's back :):) and as expected with a new New 52 twist.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

I'll be honest, I don't get why things need to be changed in the New 52 if they were working perfectly well before.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@outside_85: @animehunter:I trust these guys to do her justice. It sounds like they have to take a couple steps back to re-introduce her but she probably won't lose the core essence of who she was. She's not Batgirl and this is before she could talk, I'm assuming.

From the first issue solicit:

And who is the deadly, silent young woman in black who’s come to Gotham City looking for Batman?

MaxSchreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Finally a confirmation that Damian will also be a part of this story. Its a bit dissapointing that we will have to wait quite a few issues for him, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gorgeous art

Pres_Superman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to see Cassandra back in the DCU. Kinda wish they would bring Stephanie in to this story as well. You know to get her more accumulated in the Bat family

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#7  Edited By Outside_85

@g_man said:

@outside_85: @animehunter:I trust these guys to do her justice. It sounds like they have to take a couple steps back to re-introduce her but she probably won't lose the core essence of who she was. She's not Batgirl and this is before she could talk, I'm assuming.

And who is the deadly, silent young woman in black who’s come to Gotham City looking for Batman?

Hopefully they get her right. But I don't generally have any faith in DC as an entity to make these kinds of changes anymore, not without nearly destroying the parts people had come to like about them

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...........But what about Spoiler?

Spideycap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dick as the central character with Cassandra, Tim, Jason, Damian...damn I can't wait for this. Got every issue of Eternal and really enjoyed it. The last thing I need is another title every week but I will very gladly fork out an extra 3-4 bucks for this.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I am excited for this book but it seems like nothing that different from what Snyder and Tynion IV have delivered us already.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SilverPool

Dick as a central character has me sold

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@g_man said:

Since you do, I'll place my trust in them as well

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I'm definitely on board.

VickBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By VickBat
@koays said:

@pres_superman said:

Can't wait to see Cassandra back in the DCU. Kinda wish they would bring Stephanie in to this story as well. You know to get her more accumulated in the Bat family

Steph appears in this comic:

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/batman-286/tony-daniel-talks-batman-and-robin-eternal-batman--1708547/

In the two last images(same imagen in black/white and in color), Spoiler appears..

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

She already came back in Batman Eternal, he-he.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#16  Edited By BatWatch

I know I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but I really hate the New 52. The overall quality of stories is the same as it ever was, but it just kills me that they wiped out twenty-five years of continuity just to have a fresh slate which isn't really all that fresh. I know that old school DC fans point out this is the exact same thing that happened with COIE, and to a certain extent, that's true, but a lot of history pre-COIE was less integrated into a cohesive continuity and more geared towards one shot adventures. I do realize that they were starting to do some longer form stories towards the end of the pre-COIE era, but still...

It just makes me sad. I'm sticking to the older stuff. I'll catch up on New 52 stories when the price comes down in a few more years.

Oh, I will say that I also like James Tynion IV. Other than his run on RHATO, he's done high quality work.

tchalla3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe they'll bring back David Cain aswell, since Cassandra is coming back. Maybe he has something to do with the mystery villain Batman had to face.

VickBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cassandra is the girl in the pixelated image under the childrens photos?

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

That’s also one of the frustrating things because she’s not someone that can straight up sit you down and reveal exactly the machinations of the big villain that was building in the past.

Is it me, or does it sound like Cassandra will be at the point where she couldn't speak or write like she was when first introduced?

G-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wait so what happen to gordan as batman

regie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally, a Dick Grayson story.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Can't wait! Crossing fingers for a Cassandra vs. Damian fight!

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man I would of liked it if you Focused more about the robins and what they'd be up to?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Why does Damion look 7 years older?

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CV: I think I recall you saying in the past that Tim Drake was your favorite Robin. Is that still the case and will he have a big role?

JAMES: Yeah. All of the Robins are going to play into this story. Right off the bat, Damian Wayne is off on his adventures in ROBIN SON OF BATMAN. He’ll come into the story a bit later on. Right now, the first three Robins, Dick, Jason, and Tim, are going to be up front and center in this story alongside the new addition of Cassandra Cain and Harper Row. Harper will also be absolutely central to this tale.

I really hope Tim and Jason will get a better treatment than in "Batman Eternal" (that was damaging for their image), and that they don't let Cass (and Harper) overshadow them.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"This is the big Batman story that brings Dick Grayson back into the Bat Family. Without Bruce at the center, it’s Dick really stepping up to be the center of the Bat Family, in this strange new world."

Excellent.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please don't ruin her DC. She suffered enough with the whole villain fiasco and the bad writing.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm but is she still related to Shiva?

I vaguely recall a Zero issue a couple years back where Dick had a flashback to that fight which happened early on in his time as Robin....could this be linked to Shiva's presence back then?

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Gotta love more Dick stories

CyanidePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LMAO @

JAMES: *Explaining why he returned for the Eternal sequel*

CV: I'm excited too.

JAMES: Alright.

Haha, cool response Comic Vine.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I can't wait for this to start!

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Aahz
@slapfish812 said:

I'd rather just have a good story. Jason's arc dragged down the quality of Eternal.

And thats why I hope that they make it better this time.

And Jason didn't had an arc, he was mostly Babaras support char in her arc (and it was basically the same with Tim who was more Harper support than the other way arround).

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Zainu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zainu

The people out there who have been loving Cassandra for years and years and years and have been wanting her back, we want to do the character justice by them.We also want the number of Cassandra fans to be quadrupled by the end of this so that everyone demands she stays in the DCU here and far into the future.

crying

Also, its unbelievable. 26 issues with Cass has been more than what we've ever got since 2006(aside from Gates and random appearances here and there). Going from nothing to this is...>< Its too good to be true.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By entropy_aegis

Meh,Eternal was mediocre imo and honestly speaking Tynion and Snyder should get a Bat book set in the past, because at this point the whole "everything you knew was wrong" approach is getting silly.

One of the problems I had with Eternal was that Steph was introduced with a lot of hype,yet it all amounted to nothing. Also Steph knew the secret identity of the villain and the plan but she refused to divulge that plan to Batman or the heroes, looks like we're going to get the same with Cass,except this time her inability to communicate will serve as the desired excuse to keep the plot meandering.

I look forward to Dick's role and his time as Robin,not looking forward to Harper.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I look forward to Dick's role and his time as Robin,not looking forward to Harper.

Couldn't they just tell Harpers story in one of the regular Batman series or give her miniseries, instead of using a crossover events to do it?

It's bad enough that they are using a book that should celebrate Dick and the other Robins to bring back Cassandra.

Zainu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz: As if they weren't already celebrated well enough? Go rain on some other parade.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By entropy_aegis
@zainu said:

@aahz: As if they weren't already celebrated well enough? Go rain on some other parade.

The creators have already stated that this book is being published to commemorate Robin's anniversary... and yet of the 3 characters that will be getting a major role only one is a Robin. I hope one day we get a Batgirl Eternal series that focuses on Batwing,Jean Paul Valley and Betty Kane,I would love to see your reaction to that.

@aahz said:
@entropy_aegis said:

Couldn't they just tell Harpers story in one of the regular Batman series or give her miniseries, instead of using a crossover events to do it?

It's bad enough that they are using a book that should celebrate Dick and the other Robins to bring back Cassandra.

Snyder should be telling Harper stories in his own book, the fact he's not clearly shows that he has no larger interest in the character himself,I cannot fathom why DC expects the fans to show interest in this character when her own creator has made no meaningful contribution.

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool.I have faith in DC.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, not really. They wrote Barbara out of character just to prop Jason up.

How? This whole Jason/Barbara and "You are no Dick Grayson" thing didn't helped Jason as character. The whole arc was about Barbara finding out who framed her Dad, Jason was just there to help her and he didn't had one scene where he looked good in it. Just look at the first scene were Jason and Barbara met, Jason says something like that she couldn't take him down, and on the next panel you see Barbara pinning him on the ground.

And than you have Jason endlessly speaking about how much any Robin envied Barbara because she was so much better then them, him being used as a punching bag, as a a thug who is just good enough to be the backup or to make a lot of noise and as a damsel in distress that needed to be rescued... yeah, that defiantly propped up Jason.

In the end, I'd rather just have a good cohesive story, than something that needs to pay fanservice to X and Y. That was the problem with Eternal. They had to shoehorn in a bunch of worthless subplots, like Batwing/Corrigan/Arkham, Jason/Barbara, and all the pointless goose chases with Hush, Ra's, etc.

Thats why I rather have Dick, Jason and Tim teaming up to take down the main villain, than a sub plot about Harper Rows parents.

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By roaris87

I never read Batman Eternal, but I always kinda wanted to. And now I'm interested in this series, so I guess I should read Batman Eternal, huh?

*Edit* Does anyone know if the collected Batman Eternal features the covers? Either the Digital or Physical collection. I have a thing for cover art...

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman Eternal did nothing to help either Jason Todd or Barbara Gordon as characters.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you miss the entire bit with Barbara being emotionally unstable and needing Jason to talk sense into her? Or Barbara randomly hitting on Jason, only to have Jason turn her down? Or Tynion's implications that Barbara needed Jason "looking out for her"?

That was more Barbara looking bad than Jason looking good in my opinion.

Just because it doesn't follow whatever DBZ power levels Lobdell established, it doesn't mean that Jason wasn't propped up.

It's not about Jasons newest super powers (and by the way it was Tynion who wrote Jason directly before Eternal and gave Jason most of this powers not Lobdell). He is supposed to be a highly trained assassin and on a similar level than Dick (and that was allready established under Winick), him suddenly being inferior to Barbara (who is nowhere near this level in the new 52) is wired.

And honestly, I'd rather just have Jason or Tim not show up in B&R Eternal, since the directions for those characters are creatively restricted by another editorial group anyway

And I rather don't have them in there if they are written like the last time. But I would like to see them written good in it.

It would probably make more sense to have Damian involved, since his book is under Doyle's editorial group as well, but at least he has his own crossover event.

Despite this even the last time, they didn't manage to include what happened in Batman and Robin, in what happened in eternal and Endgame.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By entropy_aegis

@slapfish812: That's what I am saying,if Harper is effectively owned by Snyder, shouldn't she be showing up in his book? part of the reason I was initially excited for this book, back when it was just a rumour was that there was a chance of Tomasi and Seeley being the head writers. Snyder has a book,he should be telling his stories and implementing his ideas in his own book. Already they are starting off with the typical Snyderissm of something"that happened in the past but you never knew". I want to read something different not Batman 2.0.

@nathaniel_christopher said:

Batman Eternal did nothing to help either Jason Todd or Barbara Gordon as characters.

Pretty much,if it weren't for Dick I would've passed on this volume altogether.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This are great news! for the first time in many years, i'm really excitted to read a comic!

Not only Cass is back, but this "mother" character, has my interest already.

I'd say good days are coming.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Can't wait! Crossing fingers for a Cassandra vs. Damian fight!

No disrespect for Damian, but if this new version of Cass is anywhere near her Pre-New-52 level of skill, a fight between them would last a panel or 2...unless Cass held back massivly for some reason

@aahz said:

I really hope Tim and Jason will get a better treatment than in "Batman Eternal" (that was damaging for their image), and that they don't let Cass (and Harper) overshadow them.

Lol, i don't even know what to think about this...

So, let me get this straight...The New 52 continuity, its already 4 years old, and unlike many bat-related characters, ALL Robins have had the fortune of being around since pretty much day one, (just to get the titles where they appeared on, cancelled due to low-sales, ex: RHATO, Teen Titans, etc) they have had solo-runs (Dick, Jason, and since june Tim and Damian have one each as well, plus appearences on other books, and even team leadership status (Tim Drake on the Teen Titans)...Now Cass is about to FINALLY make her debut appearence, and you're worried, that she might take too much space away from some of the mary-sue's of the New 52? give me a break!

@aahz said:
@entropy_aegis said:

The thing is, Batman Eternal was an "all things Batman" event, and it was labbelled as such by DC...and Batman and Robin Eternal it's (literally) Batman Eternal season 2, or year 2, this has been stated multiple times by many people from DC.

So, it's not just about the Robins, it's about all bat related characters that the writters can bring in for the intended story.