Is Jim Gordon Incorruptible?

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By renamed040924

Some stories seem to place Gordon on an even higher moral grounds than Batman himself. I was reading The Long Halloween, which as we all know involves the fall of Harvey Dent, and in the beginning of the story, Bruce says "I believe in Harvey Dent." Later on, he also says "I believe in Jim Gordon." We all know he was wrong with Harvey, so it got me thinking, is there any set of circumstances that could also result in Gordon's corruption?

Of course the difference between a "good guy" and "bad guy" is up to interpretation; for example, Batman breaks laws, but we know he's a good guy. So for the sake of this discussion let's set the bar at Harvey Dent. I believe that whatever happens, Bruce Wayne will never ever be a worse person than Two-Face. So, is there anything that could result in Gordon being another Two-Face?

Bonus question: IF Gordon WERE to corrupt and adopt the identity of a super villain devoted to both bringing down all mafia/supervillains in Gotham by any means and also destroying Batman, how effective would he be?

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@nickzambuto: From what I've read and seen, he has faced lots of difficult times but never ended bad. So I would say he is incorruptible. Doesn't he even become Batman in the new convergeance serie ?

bronxbrothers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

Depends on what you consider corruption to be

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In multiple origins, Harvey Dent already was bipolar and had other mental diseases but to a much lesser degree. So I don't think that Jimbo can turn into someone like Two face.

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

@gustavoburciaga1: As said in OP, we're setting the bar as Harvey Dent/Two-Face.

Yeah but are we talking about, killing someone? If that's the case, I'm sure he's killed people before. Or are we talking about going full on rogue and killing people for the hell of it and robbing banks etc...?

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto said:

@gustavoburciaga1: As said in OP, we're setting the bar as Harvey Dent/Two-Face.

Yeah but are we talking about, killing someone? If that's the case, I'm sure he's killed people before. Or are we talking about going full on rogue and killing people for the hell of it and robbing banks etc...?

When he starts acting for his own gain (revenge) and kills innocent people for it.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No I don't think Gordon could be corrupted. That's the whole point if the character, the only good cop in Gotham when Batman came on the scene. And the only reason he was in Gotham was because he turned in dirty cops from his home town.

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Anjales_II

In Batman Earth One, he was, in the technical sense a corrupt cop, though he didn't do it by his own free will. He was corrupt in the sense that he looked the other way, and didn't put down the criminals when he had the chance. He was like this because he was being blackmailed by the Mayor, who, in the story, killed his wife and threatened to do the same to his daughter Barbara. But when Barabara is kidnapped, he regains his moral high ground and teams-up with Batman to save her. In Volume 2 he becomes the commish we know. That's the closest he's ever been to be "corrupted". Other than that, I don't see him going full rogue because he's already been through enough stuff that would turn others into "Two-Face" level baddies but his resolve has remained strong.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mainstream James Gordon is, because what it matter for him isnt money.

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Abishai100

Gotham Gravel

Jim Gordon is the sanity-guardian for Batman, so I'd be surprised if he went the way of Two-Face.

Maybe it's the quality of Gotham City that makes Two-Face seem sane.

Vigilantism and criminal insanity are never straightforward...

No Caption Provided

commissar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Jim Gordon Incorruptible?

Ultimately, yes. He may sometimes make bad decisions along the way, but in the end he does what's right.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My man Jim is a good guy.