#1 Edited by Bezza (3452 posts) - - Show Bio

I was in a major UK bookseller yesterday flicking through the graphic novels and some were good and some ok, but what struck me was how consistently well the Batman ones are written. These were mainly recent ones, but Batman Dark Knight vol 1, Batman Earth one, Batman Court of Owls, all brilliant in my opinion and I think I need a copy of each before too long! In fact in recent years there don't appear to have been many badly written Batman comics/books. Is this fair comment, is Batman more often than not the best written of all the major comic characters? I know some Daredevil fans may beg to differ lately, as their comic has been getting rave reviews!

#2 Posted by dagmar_merrill (7806 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman, Daredevil and Superman have the highest number of good stories from what I have read.

#3 Posted by Pokeysteve (8231 posts) - - Show Bio

Every character has the best written stories with the right writer.

#4 Posted by Billy Batson (57905 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope.

BB

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by Manchine (4161 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by PapiNacho (2367 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably, he has the most famously well written stories out of individual characters. At least in the DCU a

can't speak about Marvel.

#8 Edited by mikex20 (2769 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously you never seen the crap they tried to push as Batman stories in the 1960's and 1970's. Makes me glad I was born way after that.

#9 Posted by cameron83 (7117 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

1. It is kind of subjective depending on whether you like the story or not. But let's put this one aside.

2. Batman has many stories that are crap. Many. Keep in mind,he is a very long-lasting character. So he's bound to have many bad stories.

This.

Notable examples include Daredevil,Spider-man (who has some bad,like Batman,for reasons that I already stated),Superman,etc.

#10 Edited by silent_bomber (1588 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope.

Went on a Batman reading frenzy after my Dredd reading frenzy ended.

For me Dredd was generally more consistent, interesting, and imaginative.

Only bad period of Dredd comics were ~1991-1995, and maybe the first year.

I find X-Men trades to generally be more consistent too.

#11 Posted by Wolverine08 (40546 posts) - - Show Bio

His stories quality to tend to more consistent, but nothing crazy.

#12 Edited by Fallschirmjager (16247 posts) - - Show Bio

Every character has good runs and bad runs.

#13 Edited by MaccyD (3909 posts) - - Show Bio

He is generally the most written character so they had to get it right once in a while.

#14 Posted by RustyRoy (11858 posts) - - Show Bio

He's got the highest number of great stories IMO.

#15 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10043 posts) - - Show Bio

#16 Edited by NightHawk89 (19 posts) - - Show Bio

If you think Court of Owls, Earth One, and TDK were brilliant, you should go back and read The Long Halloween (and its sequel Dark Victory), Hush, and while I haven't gotten around to it just yet, I've heard The Killing Joke is probably one of the best Bat-arcs.

#17 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10043 posts) - - Show Bio

It makes more money and more people want to work with it.

This explain the fact it could look like this, the truth is that since it one of the most written character of all time, it has more good stories that other characters, people over looks the bad ones all the time.

#18 Posted by Pokeysteve (8231 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

1. It is kind of subjective depending on whether you like the story or not. But let's put this one aside.

2. Batman has many stories that are crap. Many. Keep in mind,he is a very long-lasting character. So he's bound to have many bad stories.

@pokeysteve said:

This.

Notable examples include Daredevil,Spider-man (who has some bad,like Batman,for reasons that I already stated),Superman,etc.

My first thought was Ennis' Punisher. You have a good point with 2. These characters have decades worth of stories. They can't all be winners.

#19 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1596 posts) - - Show Bio

In terms of DC, yes I think so. He tends to get the best treatment, and have the best story arcs as a whole, though with the number of years he's been around, and the sheer number of comics he appears in he's bound to have quite a few flops as well.

#20 Posted by Knightfall225 (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes batman has most of the best comics ever written! People always complain about how batman isnt and interesting character but that is every bit false. Batman is one of the most interesting characters in comics. The tones of his stories are dark and that seperates them from most comics. Plus He has the best city in Comics

#21 Edited by cameron83 (7117 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83 said:

No.

@pokeysteve said:

This.

My first thought was Ennis' Punisher. You have a good point with 2. These characters have decades worth of stories. They can't all be winners.

Agreed. Unless you were created Yesterday,you are GOING to have at least 1 bad writer that has tons of inconsistencies and such in his/her work. It's inevitable.

#22 Posted by cameron83 (7117 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes batman has most of the best comics ever written! People always complain about how batman isnt and interesting character but that is every bit false. Batman is one of the most interesting characters in comics. The tones of his stories are dark and that seperates them from most comics. Plus He has the best city in Comics

You do know that all of that is opinion because:

1. Every underlined part is your opinion

2. That's their opinion that he isn't interesting. That's subjective. How are you going to say that they are wrong when that is their opinion. It's not an objective matter.

#23 Posted by Knightfall225 (1980 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: o thanks for pointing it out. I really care

#24 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#25 Posted by cameron83 (7117 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: o thanks for pointing it out. I really care

1. I could care absolutely less what you care about. When a person is wrong,I correct them. Especially when they want to live in their own blissful ignorance.

2. There is absolutely no need to be rude. It's completely unnecessary and it's so petty,not even something I expect from a child. But being as you don't like being corrected,I will leave you in your own blissful ignorance.