How realistic are the Batsuits from the Nolan movies?

• 44 results
modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By modernww2fare

How realistic are the Batsuits from Nolan's Batman Trilogy?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would the forearm blades cost $1000?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#3 frozen  Moderator

Not very realistic is the answer.

@muyjingo said:

Why would the forearm blades cost $1000?

The picture is unofficial fan-ranking.

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zaied

They aren't realistic. It can be depicted as high grade military equipment, but it's not realistic, especially with things like the memory cloth.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@frozen said:

this

and while none of the prices are really accurate, I'm pretty sure the cowl and bat attractor are way off since him and Alfred supposedly made those(I think I remember him saying he messed with the frequency for weeks(or I might be way off and remembering one of the cartoons instead))

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ganon15

@frozen: What's so unrealistic about tri-weaved Kevlar pieces dipped in titanium and held together with fiber mesh straps to form a ballistic suit? :p

Valdemocnij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How anything about batman can be realistic ?

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think that the beauty of the Nolan trilogy was that it was more realistic than your average super hero movie but no so realistic that you couldn't enjoy Batman being Batman. So my answer is not very realistic.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Transformers1024

It's probably not too far out there. It would cost a ton though.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didnt they based on theoric militar science?

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TakeLuutzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's probably not too far out there. It would cost a ton though.

So, peanuts for a billionaire.. Discussion closed

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Does it matter? They look cool and that counts more than how "realistic" they are.

Avatar image for street_level_hero
Street_Level_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are completely realistic because they were actual items in the movies and not CGI.Making them kevlar/nomex/titanium/carbon fiber etc would be very easy to do. Your prices are incredibly inflated, the suit could be made with less than $5,000-$10,000 usd.easily

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Not very. All black is actually terrible for urban camouflage. Black and grey, or even blue and grey would work better.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By modernww2fare

Not very. All black is actually terrible for urban camouflage. Black and grey, or even blue and grey would work better.

His TDK/R suit is dark grey and black

They are completely realistic because they were actual items in the movies and not CGI.Making them kevlar/nomex/titanium/carbon fiber etc would be very easy to do. Your prices are incredibly inflated, the suit could be made with less than $5,000-$10,000 usd.easily

Some guy actually attempted making one:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC8QFjAG&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kickstarter.com%2Fprojects%2F1910028054%2Fbatman-real-combat-armor&ei=rpuMVPCQEdCJsQSfv4LYCw&usg=AFQjCNH_6gsk-PZ8o3PK_hD1T2BGXDctpg&sig2=KA0NJ6d-UljQdL-vnpfDhw

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

@amazingwebhead said:

His TDK/R suit is dark grey and black

Well it's such a dark grey it looks black

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 frozen  Moderator

It is not realistic. The suit was a motorcycle suit. Parts of it don't even exist (memory cloth) and the Physics behind it renders it useless.

@mrnoital said:

@frozen said:

this

and while none of the prices are really accurate, I'm pretty sure the cowl and bat attractor are way off since him and Alfred supposedly made those(I think I remember him saying he messed with the frequency for weeks(or I might be way off and remembering one of the cartoons instead))

I agree.

@ganon15 said:

@frozen: What's so unrealistic about tri-weaved Kevlar pieces dipped in titanium and held together with fiber mesh straps to form a ballistic suit? :p

Nothing of course!

Just kidding :P

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Is the Arkham Origins bat suit more realistic? Lol

No Caption Provided

Street_Level_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@modernww2fare said:

@street_level_hero said:

Some guy actually attempted making one:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC8QFjAG&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kickstarter.com%2Fprojects%2F1910028054%2Fbatman-real-combat-armor&ei=rpuMVPCQEdCJsQSfv4LYCw&usg=AFQjCNH_6gsk-PZ8o3PK_hD1T2BGXDctpg&sig2=KA0NJ6d-UljQdL-vnpfDhw

Nice. He can actually do so on that budget if he fabricates everything himself. I hope he does so and doesn't just pocket the funds without actually attempting this.

Street_Level_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@street_level_hero said:

It is not realistic. The suit was a motorcycle suit. Parts of it don't even exist (memory cloth) and the Physics behind it renders it useless.

Just kidding :P

It is completely realistic as it was actually made. All that is necessary is to replace cosmetic materials with protective ones. The physics behind "memory cloth" is very easily achieved. You simply lack the foresight to see simple it would be to achieve. the "physics" are there, you just lack the creativity and foresight to envision it, no different than those who did not believe that man could achieve flight.

Oh, you typed a hidden "just kidding". I should hope so.

bgibs13390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its realistic in that a suit could be made to offer the protection that the batsuit offers. The problem with it is that in order for it to be bulletproof and knife proof the suit would be very heavy. Even for a very fit guy it would be hard to move in and he would get tired very quickly. This is coming from someone in the army who has worn actual body armor. We have bulletproof vests that can block high caliber bullets but the problem is they weigh about 30+ pounds. That is just the vest. I get that he is supposed to be the peek of human fitness but still he would get very winded very quickly and would not be able to fight off multiple attackers. Besides he would be slow. Speed is critical in a fight and he wouldn't be fast enough or sneaky enough to pull off the things done in the movies.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 frozen  Moderator

@street_level_hero: You joined my ''just kidding'' to a different post, so that is out-of-context.

That's not realistic. I can envision it in the future, I like the trilogy and it's ambition behind grounding it in 'cinematic reality' but it is not realistic per-se. It was not actually made, it was just a designed motorcycle suit, that's why it was able to maneuver around. The gliding aspect would never work in reality, that level of control is not possible so the movie pretty much added fiction there.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So no one will comment on the pic of the Arkham Origins batsuit? :(

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 frozen  Moderator

I actually think it's better than the Arkham Knight / TDKT suit (this is in response to the other thread).

Now the Arkham Origins suit looks even less realistic, but more realistic for that level of Batman, if that makes sense?

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By modernww2fare

@frozen said:

@modernww2fare said:

I actually think it's better than the Arkham Knight / TDKT suit (this is in response to the other thread).

Now the Arkham Origins suit looks even less realistic, but more realistic for that level of Batman, if that makes sense?

I'm confused, why is it less realistic?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 frozen  Moderator

@modernww2fare: Because it's heavier and more plated but at the same, Arkham Baman is far more physically capable.

Street_Level_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@street_level_hero: You joined my ''just kidding'' to a different post, so that is out-of-context.

That's not realistic. I can envision it in the future, I like the trilogy and it's ambition behind grounding it in 'cinematic reality' but it is not realistic per-se. It was not actually made, it was just a designed motorcycle suit, that's why it was able to maneuver around. The gliding aspect would never work in reality, that level of control is not possible so the movie pretty much added fiction there.

I didn't join your "just kidding" to another post. You posted that. perhaps you are getting confused.

Yes the costume was actually made for the movie, it just was not comprised of kevlar/nomex/titanium which it could easily be made out of those materials so, yes, very realistic. The gliding aspect could easily work in reality with that level of control you are just not yourself able to envision it because of your own limitations. There are a great many things that can be done and that have been done when people said they were impossible because they did not have the ingenuity or foresight themselves to envision it. The same applies here. You could not create it or design it so you think it is impossible which is a complete fallacy. You are confusing difficult and innovative with impossible.

PaperDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By PaperDemon
No Caption Provided

is this swag realistic?

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Street_Level_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo said:
@street_level_hero said:

The gliding aspect could easily work in reality with that level of control you are just not yourself able to envision it because of your own limitations.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-07/09/batman-cape-physics

You simply do not have the ability to envision how to make it work because of your own lack of ingenuity.

Here is the key phrase in that article "The paper does admit that variations in the angle of the glide were not taken into account, and could contribute to a safe landing. However, Batman would need to slow significantly to avoid becoming a messy afterthought for Gotham city's road sweepers."

Deceleration and angle variations can be easily dealt with but these physics students simply are not good inventors. Physicists who are also blessed with ingenuity would actually show you how to solve the deceleration and angle variation issues. There are many ways to deal with these variables.

Don't let others do the all of the thinking for you. That is never good.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@street_level_hero: Easy. Hold back on the insults kiddo, this is a friendly debate, no need to be so hostile.

I'm one of the few people on here who actually does think a lot of the Batman stuff is realistic, albeit highly improbable.

You were saying the cape as is is possible as is. It simply isn't. It would have to be far, far larger to work. And please, tell me, how is deceleration easily dealt with?

I think there is a realistic solution allowing Batman to glide with a cape, the one proposed int he Nolan movies is not it however.

Street_Level_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo said:

@street_level_hero: Easy. Hold back on the insults kiddo, this is a friendly debate, no need to be so hostile.

I'm one of the few people on here who actually does think a lot of the Batman stuff is realistic, albeit highly improbable.

You were saying the cape as is is possible as is. It simply isn't. It would have to be far, far larger to work. And please, tell me, how is deceleration easily dealt with?

I think there is a realistic solution allowing Batman to glide with a cape, the one proposed int he Nolan movies is not it however.

I am not being insulting per se nor hostile, just succinct.

There is very little in the movie that is "improbable" as far as the tech is concerned.

I never stated that the cape, as is, is possible. You should re-read my posts. It wouldn't not have to be far, far "larger to work but could simply need more surface area which could be achieved by utilizing layer, folds, "inflating pockets" etc. There are numerous ways of dealing with deceleration including attachments at the ankles and waist whereby a "parachute" effect could be used just prior to landing, or chemical or pneumatic "blasts" from boot devices to decelerate could be implemented or any number of solutions. I could literally go on and on.

Memory fabric via electrical charge or using temperature-reactive materials incorporated into the fabric and heating elements could also make the proposed cape in the movies work,. Again, you are just not thinking with ingenuity. Just because you, personally, cannot figure out how something would work does not mean you are correct when you state that a something is not "realistic".

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo said:

No, you were being downright insulting. Telling people they can't think for themselves is insulting.

There is very little in the movie that is "improbable" as far as the tech is concerned.

Nonsense, and this just shows your lack of knowledge of real world science and technological progress.

I never stated that the cape, as is, is possible. You should re-read my posts.

Well, and to quote you exactly you said "It is completely realistic as it was actually made.". What am I missing here?

It wouldn't not have to be far, far "larger to work but could simply need more surface area which could be achieved by utilizing layer, folds, "inflating pockets" etc.

Well duh. Now your just playing with semantics. I said it had to be larger, and you says it needs more surface area. Which means it has to be larger. Good job. A true display of ingenuity on your part.

There are numerous ways of dealing with deceleration including attachments at the ankles and waist whereby a "parachute" effect could be used just prior to landing, or chemical or pneumatic "blasts" from boot devices to decelerate could be implemented or any number of solutions. I could literally go on and on.

I doubt you could go on and on, although that aside those suggestions were also made in the paper. Thing is, I don't want a Batman who has to use blasts from his boots to slow down. Do you?

Memory fabric vial electrical charge or using temperature-reactive materials incorporated into the fabric and heating elements could also make the proposed cape in the movies work,.

Not at the moment it couldn't. There is stuff being developed that is very close to production, but as of the moment nothing like the memory cloth seen in the movies actually exists.

Again, you are just not thinking with ingenuity. just because you, personally, cannot figure out how something would work does not mean you are correct when you state that a something is not "realistic".

LOL. Did you just learn that word or something? I assure you, any alleged lack of "ingenuity" is not the issue. The issue here is your ignorance and complete lack of critical analysis.

Instead of just insulting people and insisting something is true, why don't you make more of a case for your argument? Show some evidence, show some examples? Put us all to shame with our lack of "ingenuity". I'm gonna go ahead and guess it's because you're completely incapable of doing so. You want to believe it's realistic, but don't have enough knowledge to make an argument as to why, nor to refute the people more knowledgeable than yourself telling you why it isn't,

storkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

C'mon, I think street_level_hero is just trolling you guys. Even his/her nick spells serve thee e-troll.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#40  Edited By kidchipotle

This is an extremely realistic suit as Nolan used real life technology to create this particular bat suit.

Street_Level_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo said:
@street_level_hero said:

@muyjingo said:

No, you were being downright insulting. Telling people they can't think for themselves is insulting.

Nonsense, and this just shows your lack of knowledge of real world science and technological progress.

I never stated that the cape, as is, is possible. You should re-read my posts.

Well, and to quote you exactly you said "It is completely realistic as it was actually made.". What am I missing here?

It wouldn't not have to be far, far "larger to work but could simply need more surface area which could be achieved by utilizing layer, folds, "inflating pockets" etc.

Well duh. Now your just playing with semantics. I said it had to be larger, and you says it needs more surface area. Which means it has to be larger. Good job. A true display of ingenuity on your part.

There are numerous ways of dealing with deceleration including attachments at the ankles and waist whereby a "parachute" effect could be used just prior to landing, or chemical or pneumatic "blasts" from boot devices to decelerate could be implemented or any number of solutions. I could literally go on and on.

I doubt you could go on and on, although that aside those suggestions were also made in the paper. Thing is, I don't want a Batman who has to use blasts from his boots to slow down. Do you?

Memory fabric vial electrical charge or using temperature-reactive materials incorporated into the fabric and heating elements could also make the proposed cape in the movies work,.

Not at the moment it couldn't. There is stuff being developed that is very close to production, but as of the moment nothing like the memory cloth seen in the movies actually exists.

Again, you are just not thinking with ingenuity. just because you, personally, cannot figure out how something would work does not mean you are correct when you state that a something is not "realistic".

LOL. Did you just learn that word or something? I assure you, any alleged lack of "ingenuity" is not the issue. The issue here is your ignorance and complete lack of critical analysis.

Instead of just insulting people and insisting something is true, why don't you make more of a case for your argument? Show some evidence, show some examples? Put us all to shame with our lack of "ingenuity". I'm gonna go ahead and guess it's because you're completely incapable of doing so. You want to believe it's realistic, but don't have enough knowledge to make an argument as to why, nor to refute the people more knowledgeable than yourself telling you why it isn't,

No, I was not "downright insulting" you are just likely overly sensitive.

There actually is very little in the movie that is improbable. You think this is nonsense because you are reacting from an emotional standpoint rather than a logical one. If you think most of the tech in this movie is improbable then it is you who has a lack of knowledge of modern engineering sciences and technological "progress". Spend more time researching and less time honing your battle forum arguing techniques.

Actually you are arguing semantics. I stated that it would not have to be "far, far larger" as you stated only slightly thicker via folds that increase the surface aree somewhat making the cape silhouette larger. You are having trouble understanding English? I didn't "says" anything I typed it (there now i have argued semantics).

You are missing that the suit is realistic because it was an actual prop not cgi (it is not my fault that you cannot infer when someone is obviously being facetious).

I could definitely go on and on but you are emotionally compromised and nothing I typed would matter as highlighted by your comment "I don't want a Batman who has to use blasts from his boots to slow down.Do you?". It doesn't matter what I want or what you want, it was an example of overcoming the deceleration issue. You have lost rationale as you obviously now cannot be reasoned with.

Yes, at the moment fabricating a cape with filaments that become rigid when a current is passed through them is completely possible and can be done quite easily just as using heat reactive filaments can.

Lack of ingenuity on your part is definitely the issue as well as your emotional state. Your feelings are hurt and that has caused you to lose your composure and begin arguing for the sake of arguing rather than engaging in a worthwhile discourse.

I have made my case and have given examples, you just reacted with things like "no you didn't" "I know you are but what am I?" and "Nuh-uh, i don't want it that way, regardless of whether it is a viable solution or not". You want to believe these things are not realistic because you do not possess ingenuity or foresight and just want to have a protracted "discussion" where you become more and more irate and difficult because your feelings were hurt.

Sorry, I will pass. Find someone else's posts to dissect and vent over.

Goodbye.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MuyJingo

@street_level_hero: It's obvious you are the only one being emotional and wanting to believe the fictional things seen in the movie are 100% possible in reality, despite it being explained to you why that isn't the case.

Good luck with that.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is a funny thread

Batmanx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@street_level_hero: when I looked up cape gliding they say it wouldnt work in real life but the suit armor is realistic but if the cape have like nanotechnology it would probably work

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: composite materiel, light and incredibly strong maybe? Plus it did shoot out his arm aswell