How good was BTAS Episode 1, "On Leather Wings"

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By batshrine

Poll How good was BTAS Episode 1, "On Leather Wings" (21 votes)

BEST THING EVER!!!! 0%
Worthy of Batman 57%
Decent 33%
What episode? 5%
I'd rather not watch it again 5%
Worthy of Schumacher 0%

So to commemorate Batman. I am going to each day post a poll on every animated episode from BTAS to BtB. If any of you want you can rewatch them too and post your thoughts as well. And in between shows we might throw in movies too. Alright to kick things off!

BTAS Season 1 Episode 1: On Leather Wings

The Story (8/10):

The story itself was very straight forward, a bat like monster is terrorizing Gotham and it is up to Batman to stop this monster. From the police end they think this bat monster (for the sake of simplicity lets call it...Man-Bat :-P) is Batman. You definitely get a feel that Bruce is established as Batman though still at the formative stages. Like when Gordon mentioned how stealing isn't a part of Batman's MO, but is still on guard about him. And with Bruce, you see he already had all the answers, but double checked with experts just to make sure he didn't miss anything.

This is where the story kind of flatlines. The staging seems a bit too convenient. Gordon happens to wait to meet with the Mayor and the DA before he tells off Bullock for issuing a public statement. As the police are closing in on Batman, Gordon happens to go all the way to Bullock instead of calling him to tell him they got the wrong guy. Batman happens to feel extra thorough (which we don't see him being any other time) in his detective work and check with an outside source, which luckily leads him to the bad guy.

Though the story was also very poetic. The opening and closing with the blimp was funny. The foreshadowing of Harvey becoming Two-Face was brilliant with the coin flipping (something I wish DCnU did with the current Two-Face). The story also had its scary moments, like the Man-Bat reveal. Definitely gave me a little fright, which makes you realize that this show definitely is a bit more mature than usual.

The Production (7/10):

So I won't lie when I review these comics I will have the times in mind. But I will say that the production even for outside of its time was done fairly well. The voice acting was very refreshing to hear again. Kevin Conroy sounded so impeccably young though you can hear a slight distinction form Batman and Bruce which was a joy. The voice acting for Bullock and Gordon were on the dot and well casting for these characters were great. I won't lie Alfred sounds like he has a cold in this episode, and I may be in correct but I think its actually a different voice actor in the first couple of episodes than we are typically used to.

The script was for the most part on point. Again still find it weird that Gordon was telling off Bullock at the mayors office. Alfred's quips were very funny, but it was slightly strange to hear Batman jokingly respond back with the same sarcasm. As an example:

Alfred: You mean it wasn't you that was throwing people out of windows last night

Batman: I only throw Butlers out of windows Alfred.

I don't know, just wasn't as funny. The only other minor issue I had was when Kirk Langstrom started monologuing. I wrote it off as a side affect of the drugs that he was on, but villains should absolutely not monologue for expositions sake (unless you are Ra's Al Ghul).

And lets not forget the animation. This was actually way better than I expected. It did get slow at parts but overall everything was well animated. Highlights were the Batmobile reveal of course and the blimp coming out of the clouds. And I just loved the designs of looking retro but still at the same time everything is totally modern. I also wanted to mention how Bullock driving was really nicely done, with the lighting changing to show that his car was moving.

And I guess since this is the first episode I am going to talk about the soundtrack. I don't have much to say other than I love it. And I think it stays pretty standard so I will only really mention the soundtrack if something stands out.

Overall (8/10):

Great opening for the show! It established who Batman is via contrast of who Batman isn't. And it really did a good job establishing Bullock and Gordon who are key characters to GPD and Batman's supporting cast in general!

Characters introduced:

1. Batman/Bruce Wayne

2. Alfred Pennyworth

3. James (Jim) Gordon

4. Harvey Bullock

5. Mayor Hill

6. Harvey Dent

7. Kirk Langstrom/Man-Bat

8. Francine Langstrom

So what did you guys think?

• 
silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By silent_bomber

I thought it was ok, there were an awful lot of better BTAS episodes.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Honestly its been a long time since I've watched the series. I can only remember a select few episodes. I have a faint memory of this episode but will wait til you get to episodes that I do remember. Btw if you have links to the episodes that would be helpfull. I've been trying to find most of the episodes but I'm having trouble finding complete episodes.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ganon15

decent

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly its been a long time since I've watched the series. I can only remember a select few episodes.

Avatar image for spidermonkey2099
spidermonkey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 16

Definitely worthy of Batman. Wasn't the best episode the series has to offer, but it's a good start to an amazing show.

redleader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Felt to much like a copy and paste of the first manbat story but not as good. Good enough for me though.

Lanzslyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The pilot episode was good, there are better episodes though. One example I think would be the third one, "Nothing to Fear". It shows Batman's character.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it was a good episode for the show to begin on, but as with may other shows later episodes were better.