• 105 results
MyNameIsChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MyNameIsChris

If we ever got a gay or bisexual Batman, whether in comics or film, is there a way they could do it without pissing people(or at the very least piss off the least amount of people)? I have some ideas.

A) There could be a simple passing mention that Bruce Wayne is indeed LGBT but never making it key to his character.

B) Leaving his orientation completely ambiguous. Hints that he might swing one, hints he may swing the other

C) Skyfall style- Show it, but again don't make it key.

The key would be for them not to make it a key element to his character. Treat his liking of men in the same way they'd treat the fact that he has black hair. It's not important, and it wouldn't change the character, and could get past easily.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In an Elseworlds style comic, yeah I guess. Not in any anything else though; the Batfanboys would freak the EFF out. Certainly not in film, the studios don't make movies with a gay protagonist unless the movie is specifically about him/her being gay and nothing else.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well i like B... and i like my batman a little too busy to be tied down. but a simple answer to the question of "is there a way to do it without pissing people off?" the answer is absolutely not. my magical 8 ball says "try again in another 100 years"

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Why would this need to happen in the first place?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Johnni_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Johnni_Kun

This. I would hate a gay Batman. Or at least Bruce's batman. I find it's pointless to make a character who is not gay, gay. *cough cough* Alan Scott*cough cough* Now, if it's a new Batman under the mantle then that's fine.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare said:

This. I would hate a gay Batman. Or at least Bruce's batman. I find it's pointless to make a character who is not gay, gay. *cough cough* Alan Scott*cough cough* Now, if it's a new Batman under the mantle then that's fine.

Agreed although I want Bruce to always be Batman. :D

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare said:

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By InnerVenom123

There's no point in making a gay/bi Batman if you're not gonna make it a part of who he is. It'd basically be regular Batman except he's screwing dudes (or dudes and chicks at the same time, or etc) as Bruce Wayne. Or maybe he's in love with a dude, or etc. This would undoubtedly be a small part of a bigger story, sure, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be key to who he is.

@armiv2 said:

@rustyroy said:

@peppeyhare said:

Nothing ever "needs" to happen. Things happen. That's a stupid question and you know it.

Could you please at least just be honest and post "ew, gay" or "not muh batman" like everyone knows you want to?

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RDClip

Why did we need a Soviet Superman or a Steampunk Batman?

I'd read an Elseworlds book with a gay Batman. However, standard universe Batman should stay hetero. There is too much history with his former female love interests.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RustyRoy

Nothing ever "needs" to happen. Things happen. That's a stupid question and you know it.

Could you please at least just be honest and post "ew, gay" or "not muh batman" like everyone knows you want to?

Don't try to be a smart ass, why a character who has to change his sexuality all of a sudden? I don't see the point. These questions are pointless, what if Superman was a woman? What if Batman was Black? What if Wonder Woman was Bi? There's no reason for these things to happen, it won't even make sense, you want a gay character create a new one, Batwoman is gay so what if she's a woman she's still a Bat.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rubear

@rdclip said:

Why do we need Soviet Superman or a Steampunk Batman?

And why we need gay Alan Scott, whose existance nulled two other characters - Jade and Obsidian? With gay Batman there is no Helena, no Damian, no [Put Name] and something look like pedobat whith Robins. Thats good for you, hm?

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear said:

@rdclip said:

And why we need gay Alan Scott, whose existance nulled two other characters - Jade and Obsidian? With gay Batman there is no Helena, no Damian, no [Put Name] and something look like pedobat whith Robins. Thats good for you, hm?

Like I said, an Elseworlds Batman could be gay. If anyone is suggesting to make main-Earth Batman gay, that is very silly.

I agree about Jade and Obsidian. As a huge JSA fan, I loved Alan's interaction with his kids. I take solace in the fact that gay Alan is the Earth2 Alan and someday in the future we may get a proper old man Alan with the rest of the JSA.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

I think it would be pretty easy to make him bisexual if they wanted to. Like it could be he meets a man who he apparently hasn't seen for a long time, then there's a flashback to when they knew each other, and they were in a relationship at the time. They could maybe even try being a couple again.

He could already be bisexual, but it just hasn't been shown yet.

MyNameIsChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MyNameIsChris
SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@innervenom123 said:

Don't try to be a smart ass, why a character who has to change his sexuality all of a sudden? I don't see the point. These questions are pointless, what if Superman was a woman? What if Batman was Black? What if Wonder Woman was Bi? There's no reason for these things to happen, it won't even make sense, you want a gay character create a new one, Batwoman is gay so what if she's a woman she's still a Bat.

That is so incredible insensitive. If a lifelong friend went up to you and came out of the closet, would you say "Why does my friend have to change his sexuality all of a sudden? I don't see the point, if I wanted a gay friend I would have befriended someone gay in the first place."?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is so incredible insensitive. If a lifelong friend went up to you and came out of the closet, would you say "Why does my friend have to change his sexuality all of a sudden? I don't see the point, if I wanted a gay friend I would have befriended someone gay in the first place."?

Batman has been depicted as straight, if he isn't one why make him? And what will be next? What if Batman was pedophile threads? Will Joker give Batman boners? Anyways there's already two threads like this at least so its a dupe thread anyway, unoriginal.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No. There is no way to do this without butthurting very many people.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip said:

@peppeyhare said:

Why did we need a Soviet Superman or a Steampunk Batman?

I'd read an Elseworlds book with a gay Batman. However, standard universe Batman should stay hetero. There is too much history with his former female love interests.

Those things had something to do the stories, what does being gay will change about Batman except his sexuality? Everything will stay same, unless they make him a pedo or make him screw Joker. Maybe they can make a passing statement of him being gay/bi in a Elseworlds but what would be the point of that, it would have nothing to do with story. Only we'll hear more PedoBat/Robin, Batman/Superman and Batman/Joker jokes and some outrage.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@sheenlantern said:

Batman has been depicted as straight, if he isn't one why make him? And what will be next? What if Batman was pedophile threads? Will Joker give Batman boners? Anyways there's already two threads like this at least so its a dupe thread anyway, unoriginal.

Why would Bruce's previous female relationships stop him from perhaps pursuing one with a male companion?

Christ, are you seriously comparing homosexuality with pedophilia?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would Bruce's previous female relationships stop him from perhaps pursuing one with a male companion?

Christ, are you seriously comparing homosexuality with pedophilia?

Nothing actually, yeah they can easily make him a Bi.

I'm not comparing these two, I'm talking about these threads, there was one about what if Superman was a woman? These threads are pointless. What if these was that? What if wasn't?

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: Why would making him gay make him more likely to be a paedophile?

@rubear said:

@rdclip said:

From what I've read, making him younger nulled theose two other characters. One of those characters was gay, so they made Alan Scott gay so as not to lower the number of gay characters in this instance.

Where's this "pedobat" thing coming from?

@toplel said:

Making him one doesn't add anything in terms of storytelling, so it'd be done for the hype, which isn't good.

It could add potential new love interests.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: I never said making him gay will make him a pedophile, I said the pedoBat jokes will get extreme.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@rustyroy: Why would making him gay make him more likely to be a paedophile?

From what I've read, making him younger nulled theose two other characters. One of those characters was gay, so they made Alan Scott gay so as not to lower the number of gay characters in this instance.

Where's this "pedobat" thing coming from? It could add potential new love interests.

He has boys sidekick in very strange first costumes, you know. And you are thinking about making him gay... 2+2=4. Gay Batman + Young Boys in tight cloth = Pedobat. From what i've read making him gay nulled even posibility of them and he wasn't too much young. And from where i've read number of gays are as important as wheight of gnats. Why we need that kind of "potential new love interests" when we have planty of good womans, not all of which had something with Batman?

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear: Just because he's gay and has young boys as sidekicks doesn't mean there's anything going on there. A gay man isn't going to be involved with every male person he knows.

"From what i've read making him gay nulled even posibility of them and he wasn't too much young."

I don't know what you're trying to say here.

The number of gay people in comics isn't important?

There may be plenty of "good womans", but that doesn't mean they'd all be right for a relationship with Bruce/Batman.

@toplel: Well, yeah. If he was into men as well as women, there would be more people he could have a relationship with. Even if the relationships didn't go well, there could still be more people he could have them with. And I'm not trying to look for reasons, I'm just saying that it could add something in terms of storytelling.

@rustyroy: Maybe that's not what you meant, but by putting it in the same sentence as the idea of him

"screwing Joker" which is unlikely but technically more possible if both of them were gay or bisexual, it kind of made it seem like you were implying that.

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And have him dating Superman...

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toplel: I don't know, but it's possible that someone could write one that had a male love interest. By more people, I don't just mean that in terms of numbers, but more individuals with their own roles and professions. I'm not sure who he could be paired with, but being in a relationship with certain people could have different results than others.

Just for the record, I'm not actually arguing for a gay/bisexual Batman. Just saying it could probably work O.K. if it was to happen.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Alak

How about this for a solution that doesn't get fans all up in arms. In Batman Inc., Bruce travels to another country and finds a potential crime-fighter who happens to be gay. He proceeds to train him/her and eventually bestows the title "Batman" upon said individual for that particular city. There you go, you now have a gay/bi Batman in the main universe who isn't Bruce Wayne (social liberals and diehard-fanboys rejoice).

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose: No, all I said was that his sexuality won't bring anything new to his stories, the other line meant that if those things happens only then maybe his stories will be different, and by that I don't mean that I want those things to happen or believe that should happen, I'm only pointing what people already joke or think about those relationships.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alak said:

How about this for a solution that doesn't get fans all up in arms. In Batman Inc., Bruce travels to another country and finds a potential crime-fighter who happens to be gay. He proceeds to train him/her and eventually bestows the title "Batman" upon said individual for that particular city. There you go, you now have a gay/bi Batman in the main universe who isn't Bruce Wayne (social liberals and diehard-fanboys rejoice).

This

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: It seems possible that a change in sexuality wouldn't bring anything, but if they were to change it I imagine the writers would have some plan in mind.

But yeah, I imagine there would be people expecting him to get involved with The Joker or a Robin. Some people just jump to weird conclusions.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, that would be stupid. It's just as stupid as the people who were petitioning for Donald Glover to be Spider-Man on the big screen.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Nope, that would be stupid. It's just as stupid as the people who were petitioning for Donald Glover to be Spider-Man on the big screen.

Who?

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

VeganDiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be down for a gay Batman.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exactly. Not really a fan of changes like this being made to established characters. Same reason I disliked them making Alan Scott gay. Therefore I don't think it should ever happen in the main DCU. In an Elseworlds, sure, but they'd have to actually make it part of the character, like Vampire Batman or Soviet Superman. It'd have to change the way he fights crime and such, and i'm not really sure how effective they'd be at portraying that. (Heck I honestly can't even think of how they'd go about it.) Can't see this ever happening without numerous people getting angry over it. The issue in general is bound to start some arguments as we've seen in this thread alone.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

-

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always thought he played really well into the gay subculture, with his dominatrix style garb, his bachelor lifestyle, the obvious metaphor of him using his many female conquests as a "disguise". I for one support it, it might make him interesting, IMO.

Avatar image for doctorthomaselliot
DoctorThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really another one of theese threads?

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The only way I can see this happening is like Alak stated, a new gay character takes on the mantle. Maybe the Batman of Earth 2, althought from the spoilers it doesn't look like it will be the case.