#1 Posted by LyraFay (2527 posts) - - Show Bio

I know people give Batman: The Brave and The Bold a lot of slack (its cheesy, its silly, we want Bruce Timm back!) But actually its the most Bat-fan friendly show ever just look:

• It purposely takes the whole excuse "He's Batman," and uses it as a concept. Seriously look at "The Night of The Bat-men," that totally explores that idea "How does he do it!"
  • It alludes to Golden Age Batman a lot, "Golden Age of Justice," we see Batman getting trained by the JSA in this costume. He also keeps The Golden Age Batmobile as a "spare."
  • Frank Miller gets a far too many call outs from Bat-mite altering Batman's suit in "Legends of Bat-mite," to TDKR suit and yelling "Too psycho!" Plastic man also does this and claims that its "far too brooding." Batman also wears Frank Miller style armour when he must fight Superman in "The Battle of the Superheroes." And Batman also gives a shout out to "Frankie Miller," when the JLI is playing against the LOD. The mutants also appear in "The Knights of Tomorrow."
  • Bane attempts to break Batman's back in the teaser of "Menance of Conqueror Caveman".
  • Batman must face off against Owlman, the Crime Syndicate of America's Batman while allied himself with The Red Hood aka Joker aka how the Joker origin story in the comics.
  • The entire episodes with Bat-mite explores Batman's place within pop-culture and every aspect of his constant reinventions from fan boys wanting a "gritty crime fighter," at a comic-con no less to Bat-mite showing all his favourite versions of Batman: Japanese Batman to his appearance in Scooby Doo! To Bat-mite announcing that he voted for Jason Todd's death and to him destroying the show simply because he wants a newer version of Batman, gritty and so forth.
  • The Zebra Batsuit, the multi-coloured Batsuit and the jungle Batsuit all make appearances.
  • "Chill of the Night," is a homage to BTAS and includes Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill as the Phantom Stranger and The Spectre, as well as Adam West and Juile Newar appearing as the Waynes.
  • In the Knights of Tomorrow episode, Batman and Catwoman get married just as they did on Earth 2 comics and have a son called Damien, who is actually Talia and Bruce's son in the comics.
  • Bruce Wayne uses in other alter ego, Matches Malone in "The Mask of Matches Malone."
  • Dick Grayson appears as Nightwing at one point, seventies disco suit.
  • Batman of Zur-En-Arrh also appears in the "The Super-Bat of Planet X."

If you see show add more or let's just discuss that it was incredibly Bat-fan friendly!

#2 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (6206 posts) - - Show Bio

Agree I love that show to death.

#3 Posted by LordoftheNorth (1365 posts) - - Show Bio

to clear 2 things up

joker was maybe already the hood before this cartoon or the new 52 come out and hats still not confirmed as much as people like to think it is.brave and the bold came out before earth 2 did

i really love this show batman playing the straight man(for the most part) in a world of really silly people it also gave us the greatest verion of Aquaman ever

but even thou it makes a lot of referances to everything batman at its heart it is a goofy cartoon and bless them they never try to say its anything more hell in a bat mite ep they come right out and say it

#5 Posted by RustyRoy (12812 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to watch this show.

#6 Posted by batmannflash (6224 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not my favorite Batman show (that goes to Batman TAS) but I still like the show! There's a lot of positives to it

#7 Posted by LordoftheNorth (1365 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy: do it you can watch the first 2 seasons on netflix if you have it

if you need reasons

1. neil patrick harris plays a singing villian

2. great shorts at the being of each ep that show off random DC characters(robert e Lee's ghost is one of my favorites)

3. Aquaman

4. the use just about every batman villain you can think of

5. tons of different characters form all over the DCU team up with batman

6. great music (again see music meister)

#8 Edited by RustyRoy (12812 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Edited by LordoftheNorth (1365 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by NukeA6 (480 posts) - - Show Bio

The Brave and the Bold is easily my favorite superhero cartoon after Justice League Unlimited. There wasn't a single dull episode and always had a sense of humor. It also introduced characters that we may never see again in animation (i.e. Doom Patrol and Plastic Man). I'm glad it lasted as long as it did.

#11 Edited by The_Tree (7522 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely my favorite Batman cartoon. It embraced everything that is fun about Batman and is an awesome love letter to the Silver Age. I also loved that it spotlighted a lot of lesser known characters like Guy Gardner and Jaime Reyes.

I think a lot of the hate stems from people that just didn't get what it was trying to be or couldn't bear the thought of having a lighthearted Batman show.

#12 Edited by LyraFay (2527 posts) - - Show Bio

@nukea6: Yeah I loved how they added in Plastic man, now there's an character that DC needs to take advantage of. He also got some stellar shorts, go on to the DC comics youtube channel you'll find them!! There's a great short where is basically breaking the fourth wall the entire time!

#13 Posted by redleader1 (511 posts) - - Show Bio

@lyrafay: i agree but chill of the night is not really a btas thing as it is taken from a older comic hell one scene is word for word. It mixes a few different chill encounters.

#14 Posted by TDK_1997 (14900 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't say Ioved the show but there were definitely some episodes that I loved and adored.The show was just too cheesy for me at times but they were trying to make this like the Silver Age version of Batman and all of the other characters.It was definitely a good show but there were some episodes that I just hated.

#15 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (11013 posts) - - Show Bio

This show was freacking awesome, maybe the second best Batman animated show.

#16 Posted by Azrael_Online (186 posts) - - Show Bio

The naming of Dick to Nightwing was pretty humorous, as well as the shows overall campiness

#17 Posted by Magmaster12 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

Compared to the garbage Marvel Animation is putting out now it was pretty decent.

#18 Posted by Divine_Disorder (108 posts) - - Show Bio

I absolutely love this show, as much as I love B:TAS. They're both Batman, but completely different, and I love both versions equally. Brave and the Bold also had its serious episodes (brilliant ones too!) but mostly it was silly, wacky and hilarious. Just some of my favorite quotes:

Atom: It's replicating!

Aquaman: Yes, and it's making more of itself, too!

Nightwing: Where have you been? We were supposed to meet here over two hours ago!

Batman: (actually Batwoman in Batman's body) Darling, I don't have to answer to you. I'm Batman.

Batman: You so much as sneeze without my permission, you're going to regret it.

Guy Gardner: That I'd like to see-- (Batman punches him in the face, knocking him out cold)

Carnival announcer: What in the name of PT Barnum is that?

Negative Man: He calls himself...Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man.

Carnival announcer: I love it! Does he have an agent?

Batman: A consummate professional like you, friends with a dilettante like Booster?

Ted Kord: You're both my friends, okay? You're more of a work friend and Booster is more of a fun friend.

Batman: What's more fun than fighting crime?

Selina: The Joker has a son? You mean someone had kids with that guy?

Aquaman: Never trust an amphibian. (yells at frog) Land or water? Choose a side!

Batman: Batman does not eat nachos!!!

Hehe, I could do this all night. XD

#19 Posted by Alak (926 posts) - - Show Bio

In the episode where Superman becomes influenced by red kryptonite, there are a ton of references to the silly Jimmy Olson comics. I love this show and it sucks that it was cancelled :(

#20 Edited by PapiNacho (2482 posts) - - Show Bio

Every time people tell me to give Ultimate Spider-man a chance because it is kid friendly, I remember this show and TTG and remember why I love DC animation more.

#21 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13268 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by LordoftheNorth (1365 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6503 posts) - - Show Bio

People are defending Batman Brave and the Bold but hate the Star Wars prequels/prequel fans?

#24 Posted by LordoftheNorth (1365 posts) - - Show Bio

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: Sorry but those two thing arent compatable

Batman the brave and the Bold is a love letter to the silver age a time when everything didnt have to be so damn serious but they could still have compeling stories and characters

The star wars prequels are crappy movies that ruin beloved characters and concepts and force feed us CGI until we puke

#25 Posted by Azrael_Online (186 posts) - - Show Bio

....How they snuck this through, I don't know, don't care, but it was hilarious

#26 Edited by LordoftheNorth (1365 posts) - - Show Bio

@azrael_online: he wasnt being gay he had his body switched with batwoman's

#27 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6503 posts) - - Show Bio

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: Sorry but those two thing arent compatable

Batman the brave and the Bold is a love letter to the silver age a time when everything didnt have to be so damn serious but they could still have compeling stories and characters

The star wars prequels are crappy movies that ruin beloved characters and concepts and force feed us CGI until we puke

1) The Batman Brave and the Bold movies had NO compelling characters, going out of it's way to ruin and bastardize great characters in the same manner Schumacher did it with Batman & Robin. The story wasn't that great either

2) The prequels had more engaging and realistic characters than the originals, all fully developed and unique emphazing themes about fear, attachment, anger, immaturity and obsession. The story was more mature and darker than the originals as well.

#28 Posted by Azrael_Online (186 posts) - - Show Bio

@azrael_online: he wasnt being gay he had his body switched with batwoman's

I know that, that's just the only video I could find on youtube. That scene is still hilarious.

#29 Edited by LordoftheNorth (1365 posts) - - Show Bio

1) they arent movies their cartoons, No compelling characters? OUTRAGEOUS! Aquaman would beg to differ. The certainly didnt bastardize any characters they just took the concept of superheroes and said superheroes when you really think about them are very silly and you know what the dark a grity has been done to death so lets look at the silver age and have some "FUN" have Batman team up with superheroes from all over DC silly antics insue. The differance between this cartoon and the Schumacher movie is that the cartoon is actually funny and lives within its sillness and Schumacher thinks ice puns are funny

2) HAHAHAHAH this is the funniest shit i have ever read

PS iam sorry you live in such a cold dark world try laughing you'll feel better

#30 Edited by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6503 posts) - - Show Bio

@lordofthenorth: Just because it's a cartoon doesn't give it the right to be stupid. I'm not asking for Burtonesque darkness, I'm asking for compelling stories and interesting characters, a universe where the characters actually give a damn about what they're doing instead of breaking into song for no reason. The characters ARE bastardized in the case of Green Lantern, Joker, Poison Ivy and ESPECIALLY Batman. The first 3 mentioned have personalities barely resembling their counterparts, stripping them down to mere stereotypes of what they are supposed to be. Batman himself is a joke. He has no identity, no character. Nothing more than a 1 dimensional joke to entertain your 6 year old.

This is the kind of writing that destroyed The Dark Knight and is Reason #1 why comic book fans are ridiculed so much. I don't want a tribute to Silver Age Batman...Do you want to know why? Because Silver Age Batman sucks. I don't care if its "Fun" or "Fitting tribute" it's a piece of shit.

And if enjoying emotional hand intelligent stories with deep themes, smart references to classical literature and history and developed, realistic, fully realized characters instead of OVERLY campy, OVERLY cheesy and OVERLY slapstick garbage that cares less about telling an intriguing story and more about making stupid puns and having Batman sing and dance because the writers incorrectly think that's funny means I'm living in a cold dark world, screw the sunshine.

#31 Posted by Divine_Disorder (108 posts) - - Show Bio

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: You're entitled to your opinion. No one's forcing you to like Brave and the Bold. But to say that the show bastardized the characters is downright inaccurate. In fact, that's exactly how the characters were back in the Silver Age. It's pretty darn faithful if you ask me. You don't like it? There's always Batman: The Animated Series or the many other more serious depictions of Batman for you to enjoy. This show has its own audience. It's meant to be silly and doesn't pretend to be anything more than the Silver Age tribute that it is.

@divine_disorder: Aquaman: OUTRAGEOUS!

the only qoute that matters

This is the only version of Aquaman I've ever loved. ;D

#32 Edited by LordoftheNorth (1365 posts) - - Show Bio

@divine_disorder: How can you not love this Aquaman i dont remember single an ep that he was in that didnt leave me smiling

#33 Posted by DarkDay (634 posts) - - Show Bio

@spideyivydaredevilfan26: You're entitled to your opinion. No one's forcing you to like Brave and the Bold. But to say that the show bastardized the characters is downright inaccurate. In fact, that's exactly how the characters were back in the Silver Age. It's pretty darn faithful if you ask me. You don't like it? There's always Batman: The Animated Series or the many other more serious depictions of Batman for you to enjoy. This show has its own audience. It's meant to be silly and doesn't pretend to be anything more than the Silver Age tribute that it is.

@lordofthenorth said:

@divine_disorder: Aquaman: OUTRAGEOUS!

the only qoute that matters

This is the only version of Aquaman I've ever loved. ;D

I couldn't agree with all of this more if I tried. TAS is still my favorite Batman cartoon but I've watched all of the Brave and the Bold and loved most of it. It was campy, self-aware, perfection.

#34 Edited by Divine_Disorder (108 posts) - - Show Bio

@divine_disorder: How can you not love this Aquaman i dont remember single an ep that he was in that didnt leave me smiling

But I DO love him in this show. I've never really liked him before -- until this show came along and, well...what's not to like? I've yet to hear of a Brave and the Bold fan who doesn't love Aquaman in this incarnation. He's quite popular.