Does Batman Need To Share The DC Spotlight?

• 52 results
novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Everyone knows how important batman is to DC. He's their flagship character and there's simply no point in debating this any further. I've always thought in terms of significance, it is mainly batman, a sprinkle of superman, and everyone else getting scraps whenever and where ever they can. But this took it to a new low for me.

I was in the mood to pick up some more digital comics, I haven't bought any recent marvel or DC titles in about 2 months so I definitely wanted something. Although I was previously reading a bit more marvel than dc comics, I wanted to change things up and buy all dc comics this time around. But as I looked to browse the store, as a comic book fan, I was disgusted by what I saw, here's what my browsing of the main page (when you first open DC's comics app) looks like.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Look at that, just look at that. There was so much batman, I thought I was in the batman section, I had to double check to see that I wasn't I'll go over the titles if it's not clear the ratio of comics he's taking up. I'll go in order from top to bottom and left to right, using rows. Underlining and bolding the batman books, only underlining batman related characters, and leaving others normal:

Batman, Batman, Batman, Batman , Batman, Superman, Batman, Animal Man,Batman, Batman, Superman, Batman, Catwoman, Checkmate, Batman, Superman, Batman, Batman, Batman, Batman, Batgirl, Catwoman, Justice League, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Trinity War, Batman, Animal Man, Lantern Corps, Aquaman, Bane, Batman, Batman.

Tally: 18 batman, 4 superman, 4 batman related characters, 2 Animal Man, and 1 "other" each.

For a batman fan, you must be ecstatic. But as a DC fan, does that not anger you a bit? I don't really care for batman much. Whether it be in a positive or negative way. But this made me despise the character a bit. Not because he's getting all this exposure, but because he's TAKING AWAY from the exposure of other DC characters. Those could easily be some flash books, WW books, Green Lantern, Aquaman, etc. It angers me because as a comic book fan, DC has a variety of AMAZING interesting characters to use. But they don't market them NEARLY as much. But are we surprised? Naturally some would say that batman is this exposed because he sells the most, but can't we see this may be the reason why? For new comers, if they saw the screen I did, they had about a 65% chance to buy a batman or batman related book, than any other book advertised. And this is not only within comics, Batman has had 3 movies recently, and is getting back on the big screen a YEAR, after the trilogy ended. Not flash, aquaman, WW, or Martian Manhunter, but batman again.

If anything, have more team books. For newcomers, at least they show a variety of characters that they can attach to, which could lead them to buy their solo. But don't just advertise one character. I don't know, I was almost immediately disgusted with the shafting that DC was giving to their other characters for batman, that I left almost instantly.

Maybe it's just me. What do you guys think, DC, marvel , and Batman fans. Are you ok, not ok, with this? Please, discuss.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RustyRoy

Flash needs more attention, maybe a Batman/Flash or a Flash/GL team can help. Btw Batman's getting back in movies after 3 years, not a big deal considering Wolverine, Iron Man, Spider-Man show up every one or two years later.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Im not angered at all.....u just care beaucse you dont like Batman and your favorite hero doesnt have a huge fan base as him. Fanbase+ Sales = popularity and more comics made

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Dude, it's pointless to be disgusted because Batman is on the main page. If you don't care for Batman, just look at series you want to buy.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Dude, it's pointless to be disgusted because Batman is on the main page. If you don't care for Batman, just look at series you want to buy.

This. Batman makes money and DC needs money. I don't see why it's such a big deal

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

Flash needs more attention, maybe a Batman/Flash or a Flash/GL team can help. Btw Batman's getting back in movies after 3 years, not a big deal considering Wolverine, Iron Man, Spider-Man show up every one or two years later.

Actually, Batman is the one coming back after a year. Not spiderman, iron man, or wolverine. A case could probably be made for wolverine, but spidey came back 5 years later, and the reboot was announced 3 years after after spiderman 3. Iron Man simply has a trilogy like every other known hero so I don't get why you bring him up. But batman's comeback only took a year. That has to be a record or something.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By novi_homines

@rulerofthisuniverse said:

For me, it's hard to know what's the best solo books for dc right now. Even when I click on top rated comics, All I see is batman everywhere. Sometimes I don't know what I want, that's what browsing is. But instead of giving me a wide range of characters, all I see is batman. Which doesn't truly give me a choice. So either i'll have to know the character or book I want already in mind, or I buy batman. That's just silly, at least in my opinion.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@rulerofthisuniverse said:

For me, it's hard to know what's the best solo books for dc right now. Even when I click on top rated comics, All I see is batman everywhere. Sometimes I don't know what I want, that's what browsing is. But instead of giving me a wide range of characters, all I see is batman. Which doesn't truly give me a choice. So either i'll have to know the character or book I want already in mind, or I buy batman. That's just silly, at least in my opinion.

I agree that you DEFINITELY have reason to be upset and disgusted. But Batman is basically the cash cow. He makes money,and even though they don't need to (if they cared about the popularity and such of other characters),they still put him on display first and foremost. Wherever he is....Wonder Woman? F*ck her! Flash? Go to Hell!

They care less for these characters than they do Batman and Superman,and Batman is the main cash cow. And being that he is,they constantly put him in the spotlight for....well,you know...money.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RustyRoy

@novi_homines said:

Actually, Batman is the one coming back after a year. Not spiderman, iron man, or wolverine. A case could probably be made for wolverine, but spidey came back 5 years later, and the reboot was announced 3 years after after spiderman 3. Iron Man simply has a trilogy like every other known hero so I don't get why you bring him up. But batman's comeback only took a year. That has to be a record or something.

How's he coming back after a year? Are we getting a new Batman movie this year? Iron Man has been in 4 movies in 5 years, Wolverine 6 in 14 years while Batman was in 3 in 7 years and 4 in 10 years if you're counting Batman/Superman.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By MrMazz

This is a buisness. The market apperas to demand and want more Batman releated titles or else DC wouldn't have so many books with the Bat logo on it. If he didn't sell consistancy and raise all boats he would not be pushed out there so much. So no he shouldn't because his popularity will wain eventually and be replaced by someone else.

gator4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By gator4eva

If you were selling books would you hide your best sellers and put other books at the front of your stand. No, you would promote your best selling book because it is selling and your goal is to sell and make a profit. DC is doing what they should be doing, promoting what is working and what is demanded. People like Batman and DC is giving them Batman.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lifeofvibe

@novi_homines: don't be disgusted of batman hate dc if you hate how much there premoting batman this should be in the dc forums

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@novi_homines: don't be disgusted of batman hate dc if you hate how much there premoting batman this should be in the dc forums

I don't think he's disgusted at Batman,I think that,as said,he's disgusted by his exposure. Don't tell me money blah blah business blah blah demand etc...I already know that. But still,it's almost as if they care little for other characters.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Oh, jeez, someone complaining about Batman getting too much attention. Superman gets just as much attention man.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wolverine008

@novi_homines It's stupid to "despise" a character because he gets a lot of attention. DC and Marvel are businesses, and they want to make money. The easiest way to make money is to expose their top characters a lot. Marvel does with the Avengers, X-Men, Wolverine. DC does this with Superman, Batman, etc. Read some Batman stories before you decide to despise him. Until then, you despising him without reading anything about him, is just plain ignorance.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh look a thread complaining about Batman, must be a day that ends with y.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh look a thread complaining about Batman, must be a day that ends with y.

With someone as popular as Batman, your bond to get haters. It's a part of the biz. Lol.

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

need.....no. it doesn't effect who I like and what comics I buy.

able to. yes. he is in no way above letting some other characters get recognized.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Batman sales, so they put him on their homepage, Marvel does the same thing with The Avengers and The X-Men

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Saren

There aren't enough Batman comics.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you dense? Are you retarded or something? You actually want him to share the spotlight? Man I want more Batman. Now that Batman Inc is over we need another Batman book to fill the void!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Where were you when ,Team 7,Mister Terrific,Sword of Sorcery,Demon Knights etc got cancelled? since you love DC so much you should go and read Movement & Green Team.Ask your friends to do the same and then maybe we'll talk,till then you have no ground to stand on.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By DecoyElite

@entropy_aegis: Green Team and The Movement any good?

Green Team looked pretty "bleh" to me and I never heard anything about The Movement after it was announced.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By entropy_aegis

@entropy_aegis: Green Team and The Movement any good?

Green Team looked pretty "bleh" to me and I never heard anything about The Movement after it was announced.

I've only read one issue of Green Team and it was because Deathstroke was in it,very entertaining but the characters I found myself unable to care about.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DecoyElite

@entropy_aegis: Herm. Shouldn't be plugging it then. :P

But I guess DC doesn't have many non-Batman or Superman books that aren't being canceled to plug.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: Herm. Shouldn't be plugging it then. :P

But I guess DC doesn't have many non-Batman or Superman books that aren't being canceled to plug.

Batman

Superman

Justice League

Green Lantern

These easily cover the majority of DC books,even Wonder Woman,Flash and Green Arrow fall under the Justice League group.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: One day I will get my Aztek comic.

Or maybe DC editorial will finally snap all the way and try and reboot Prez.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By entropy_aegis

I've heard Kamandi rumors.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decoyelite said:

I've heard Kamandi rumors.

At least that concept isn't completely insane.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is literally an identical thread to this one every week.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: And we blame writers for lack of creativity.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Sure wouldn't hurt

Abhi471990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batman is a top name when it come to general people around the world. which is like 90%. these are the people who don't read comics. Check out all the online polls world wide done. Batman has always spoted no one.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like Batman and I'm fine with him having so many comics, but DC needs to take more risks with other characters in other mediums. Batman has had so many different incarnations that the general public is able to choose their favorite. The same goes for Superman as well. I think DC needs to make animated series based off of some of their popular characters to create more interest in their other characters. I think the 3 that could really hold their own series would be:

• Flash
  • Shazam
  • Wonder Woman
deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comic Book fans are the problem, not DC. But in maybe a decade or so, there will be a new "everybody's favourite". Id bet on Green Lantern or Flash.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's time for DC to let go of the Batman boners.

Avatar image for dtslanterncorps
DTSLanternCorps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@novi_homines: I agree with you OP, but you posted this in the wrong thread to get unbiased opinions.....

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By novi_homines

@the_stegman: You forget that the xmen and avengers are team books, made to include essentially all marvel characters. My issue is not the number of books being published, but focus on one character. Comparing avengers books to batman books are simply not the same.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@novi_homines:

Superman is in only one less book than Batman. Are you going to go to the Superman board and create a "Does Superman Need to Share the DC Spotlight thread"?

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@novi_homines:

Superman is in only one less book than Batman. Are you going to go to the Superman board and create a "Does Superman Need to Share the DC Spotlight thread"?

no. Because superman does not recieve the batman treatment. And that's simply MY own PERSONAL opinion. No need to get into a long discussion about this. You're a batman fan and we will obviously disagree. Let it end there.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 the_stegman  Moderator

@novi_homines: Doesn't matter if they're team books or solo titles, they are Marvel's Flagships and have high name recognition,which is why pretty much all titles in Marvel has "Avengers or X-Men" in the title somewhere. To blame DC for capitalizing on Batman and not blame Marvel for doing the same, isn't fair.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran: That's just one example. If you compare everything, Bruce and Clark are equally attention whores. Lol.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By WIshIWasSuperman

I wasn't thinking too much about this until recently. Not sure if anyone has seen but there's a DC Chess series they've been doing. Now - it's titled "DC Chess" yet the entire 1st collection/set is Batman. The 2nd is Justice League (this is their idea of sharing it around?)

I have to admit, this annoyed me a little. I love Batman, but if something is just branded as DC - then it shouldn't focus on one character solely.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really care anymore if Comic fans(and the general public) dont give a crap about most of DC's characters. As long as the Non-batman books are still good i'm happy. DC does try to push other characters though some are successful(Aquaman) some are not(Legion of Superheroes, Demon Knights), so DC's use of batman is justified

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RustyRoy

@wolverine08 said:

@novi_homines:

no. Because superman does not recieve the batman treatment. And that's simply MY own PERSONAL opinion. No need to get into a long discussion about this. You're a batman fan and we will obviously disagree. Let it end there.

Then prove your point, make it a debate. I can show you that Superman gets the same if not better treatment than Batman.

@mitran said:

@wolverine08 said:

@novi_homines:

How does Superman not get the Batman treatment?

I'm not gonna argue this point, because he does within the comics (though to a somewhat lesser degree atm). But in @novi_homines's example picture of the DC app, there are 22 Bat or Bat-related titles to Supe's 4. That's five and a half times more (yes, I do have a handy-dandy calculator). I'd say that's quite a bit more of the attention.

That's because Batman has better(debatable) and more supporting costumed characters, you can see Nightwing and Batgirl are outselling Flash(which is unfortunate), WW etc. and Batwoman is also selling well, Batman currently has 6 books he appears in and Superman has also 6.