Does Batman Always Win? Batman vs. Black Panther

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

We've all seen the memes or heard the jokes before... Batman always wins. Why? Because he's Batman! As funny as this tends to be, I thought I'd turn it into a monthly segment to test that statement out. Batman obviously doesn't always win, but I thought it would be fun to see who he could defeat in fair, one on one battles with fellow street level characters that aren't from his universe.

No Caption Provided

To make sure the segment is always neutral, the match will always be a random encounter (this means neither has knowledge on the other or prep time) and in a generic, unpopulated city setting (at night but city lights are on). They'll start roughly 50 feet apart, have their standard gear and they will be in character. Naturally, they have the objective to defeat the other character. Just like over in the Battles Forums, the winner will be declared based on who I think will take the most victories in this scenario if it played out 10 times. Additionally, it's worth noting that this segment is treating all Pre-New 52 Batman feats as canon (New Earth, of course).

So far, I've placed The Dark Knight against Captain America (stalemate) and Wolverine (The X-Man wins). Now he's going face-to-face with a character drastically similar to him in a lot of regards -- Black Panther!

Credit: Rafael Neko Tumblr
Credit: Rafael Neko Tumblr

This is usually where I break the segment up into three parts. I'd have one for Batman's advantages, one for Black Panther's advantages and then the verdict. However, in this case they are shockingly similar in so many elements and I feel it would be easiest to discuss these matters together. I'll bold and underline key points, too.

Hand-to-hand Skill

No Caption Provided

Both of these characters deserve praise for their technique and knowledge of martial arts and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Batman is a confirmed master of 127 different styles and has held his own or flat-out defeated some of the best street levelers in his universe. He's also embarrassed Nightwing and has overcome ridiculous amounts of enemies (BATMAN #16, for a recent example). He's no stranger to using nerve strikes (Solomon Grundy) and his peak human condition in combination with his skill allows him to give characters physically superior to him a tough time (Deathstroke, for example).

No Caption Provided

Meanwhile, T'Challa is often underrated when it comes to his effectiveness in this regard. AVX: VS #5 confirmed he's studied every fighting style in the world and, just like his opponent, knows how to use precision against physically superior characters. He's dropped Luke Cage, taken down Karnak, fought evenly and defeated Steve Rogers, and has brutally defeated a Super Skrull which had a wide variety of effective talents (Bullseye, Captain America, Elektra, Shang-Chi, and even T'Challa's).

These two are very close in this regard and I'd warrant a slight edge to Batman due to a more impressive selection of feats throughout his extensive history.

Equipment

No Caption Provided

I'll just come out and say it: I'm giving this edge to Black Panther. Batman has a huge assortment of of offensive and defensive gear at his disposal. Electric, gas, explosive, incendiary and cryo is barely scratching the surface of what Wayne can throw T'Challa's way, but ultimately, I don't believe they'll overcome the advantages Black Panther's vibranium armor provides. It grants a huge amount of protection against blunt trauma, stabbing damage (though cuts can penetrate if they go along the seams), and defend against the other attacks Batman has in his belt. As you can see in the image provided, Black Panther easily withstood a lightning strike from Storm, has endured hits from powerhouses including Hulk and Iron Man, taken volley of Iron Fist's chi-backed punches, and was perfectly fine after being shot by numerous assault rifles at point blank range. It goes without saying that his armor is quite protective.

No Caption Provided

Keep in mind, this is only addressing his durability against Wayne's attacks so far. When it comes to his offensive capabilities, T'Challa has deadly energy daggers and anti-metal claws which would absolutely tear through the Dark Knight's kevlar if it connects. The Marvel hero's boots allow him to withstand falls from greater heights and in a city setting that's definitely going to come in hand if a fight reaches a rooftop. Furtheremore, in NEW AVENGERS #1 we saw T'Challa has cloaking, teleporation and an energy shield. Wayne certainly brings a lot to the table, but in my opinion, T'Challa's goodies are simply more effective and provide just as much offensive and defensive variety in this case.

Mentality

Both are considered to be among the top human minds on their planet. The Caped Crusader is dubbed the greatest detective and T'Challa has a spot on the Iluminati for a reason (or at least was offered it). Both are masters of prep time, but since this is a random encounter, their absurdly good feats in this factor are really just moot points here.

No Caption Provided

What this comes down to is how both will act in this specific scenario and if either has the advantage when it comes to a tactical mindset. In that regard, I'd say both are roughly even. Both have the skill and intellect required to see subtle openings in their styles and are more than observant enough to not fall for obvious traps or tricks. However, when it comes to how far they'll go, I'd say T'Challa is the more brutal one. Wayne shocked me when he recently put a grappling line through Scarecrow's jaw, but T'Challa is a man that has no gripe ripping out eyes (Super Skrull) and, in NEW AVENGERS #1 (pictured above), he "basically ripped a dude in half" according to writer Jonathan Hickman.

Physicals

No Caption Provided

If this was made several months ago then they would be even in this regard. T'Challa was peak human while leaping around Matt Murdock's turf... but unfortunately for Batman, I'm making this feature now and Black Panther has once again been upgraded to above peak human (King of the Dead). T'Challa is now at least enhanced when it comes to his physicals, therefore he he takes this advantage. This isn't a huge advantage, though, since Batman has trained thoroughly enough to reach peak human condition.

The Verdict

So does Batman always win against Black Panther? In a random one on one fight, I think Black Panther would take the edge. Out of 10 fights, I'd probably grant him 6-7 hard fought victories over DC's Caped Crusader. Batman has the skill to eventually defeat him in unarmed combat, but sadly for him, this isn't unarmed combat. And while Bruce does have plenty of gear on his side, it'll take a lot to keep the Avenger down. It'll be a lengthy and brutal battle, but I see T'Challa's durability being the game changer.

No Caption Provided

There's now an official discussion thread for this monthly segment! Go there to make suggestions for future combatants (they need to be non-DC and street level!) and provide feedback!

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. When he's not lurking around Comic Vine (which is rare), you can find him on Twitter.

Batnandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Batnandez

Batman beats everyone

Logan Reilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Logan Reilly

Except Hulk. Hulk is strongest there is. And God, because... well, he's God.

sheldipez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By sheldipez

@Batnandez: Because he's the Goddamn Batman

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#4  Edited By Outside_85

@Logan Reilly said:

And the Juggernaut...beause nothing stops him...or his fans.

Batnandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Batnandez

@Logan Reilly: Batman with prep time solos both

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Alexander505

Stalemate...again ;)

Batnandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Batnandez

@sheldipez said:

You damn right.

Moby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Moby

I known that I;m a huge Batman fan; but I consider these monthly segments to usually be right except this time. I honestly believe Batman would overcome Black Panther (barely).

#1: Black Panther has no healing factor any damage he receives affects him

#2: To give Black Panther the edge in intelligence is an insult to Batman's history as a tactical genius

Everything else said I completely agree with; I just believe that Batman edges out

No Caption Provided

Next month I would like to see Batman vs Daredevil:

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By spinningbirdcake

Yeah if it's a scavenger hunt with clues Batman wins. In a fight I'd pick Black Panther more times than not.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Alexander505
#2: To give Black Panther the edge in intelligence is an insult to Batman's history as a tactical genius

That's true.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By z3ro180

@Moby lol bonk

velvetmeds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By velvetmeds

There are many that'd beat Batman but Black panther is not one of them

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@Alexander505@Moby:  Thanks!  However, I didn't give Black Panther the edge in intelligence.   I gave him the edge when it comes to how far he'll go in regards to morals --  which I something I believe falls under one's mentality.

However, when it comes to how far they'll go, I'd say T'Challa is the more brutal one .

And lol at that Daredevil/Batman picture.
snikt_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By snikt_0

Great match-up with two heroes with similar skills but I would have to go with the Black Panther for the win.

Alexander505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Alexander505

Similar? Black Panther is a copy of Batman XD

ThePRez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#16  Edited By ThePRez

stalemate but Black Phanter wins the first 3 rounds

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#17  Edited By StMichalofWilson

@Batnandez said:

Batman beats everyone

Why?

@sheldipez said:

Nuff Said.

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By zombietag

um yes he always wins

jynxjaguar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jynxjaguar

I know everybody loves Batman, and I do too, but no one is giving the Panther a shot because he's not as well known or popular. Yeah, Batman's got mad skills that he's been working on since he was twelve or so. T'Challa's been doing this ALL HIS LIFE. Even putting that aside, here's a good thought. Both of them are masters of many forms of martial arts, but the Panther's armor is superior for absorbing blows and he's covered head to toe. Batman leaves his mouth and jaw exposed, which is exploitable. And the Panther's arsenal is fairly compact. Batman doesn't carry every single bat-gadget he has on him at all times, and this match is an unplanned encounter. Planned, Yeah, I think Batman would edge the Panther out. He's just got too many different gadgets for taking out specific opponents. That and I think that T'Challa also has fighting styles learned from battling Wakanda's wild animals that might throw Batman off his game long enough to exploit that unprotected jaw. Oh, and check your comics history guys: the Panther in the Marvel Universe is considered to be one of the 8 smartest people on the planet and he carries the accumulated knowledge of all the past Panthers. He's a match for the Bat in intellect.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20  Edited By Zeeguy91

While I do like Batman much more than the Black Panther, even I have to admit that BP would probably take the victory in a fight. Bruce and T'Challa are probably almost equal in actual hand-to-hand skill, with Bruce taking a slight edge in that category. However, T'Challa has the wisdom and guidance of past generations of Black Panther. That could give him some sort of ability to either predict or neutralize Bruce's moves. Unless Bruce had prep time or already had a way to neutralize that, T'Challa would probably win.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By longbowhunter

Everyone says Moon Knight is Marvel's Batman but I say Black Panther. The wealth, equipment, fighting skill and intelligence.

snikt_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By snikt_0

@Alexander505: i'@Alexander505 said:

Similar? Black Panther is a copy of Batman XD

I've always considered Moon Knight more of a Marvel 'copy' of Bats than T'Challa...

usabfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23  Edited By usabfb

Honestly, I would have to pick Batman for this one. Armor is great and all, but I'm sure that a smart guy like Batman would be able to find out that the armor is weakest in the seams. There goes that advantage, thereby rendering his most important defensive ability useless.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

@Outside_85 said:

@Logan Reilly said:

And the Juggernaut...beause nothing stops him...or his fans.

The Wall could find a way to stop Juggernaut.

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@Moby said:

I known that I;m a huge Batman fan; but I consider these monthly segments to usually be right except this time. I honestly believe Batman would overcome Black Panther (barely).

#1: Black Panther has no healing factor any damage he receives affects him

Everything else said I completely agree with; I just believe that Batman edges out

No Caption Provided

Next month I would like to see Batman vs Daredevil:

Me too... I have a sinking feeling in my stomach because I know that Batman will win. His gadgets have too many advantages over Daredevil's senses and they both, along with Superman are my favorite heroes so I don't really want to see Daredevil lose: / but I think it'd make for a good article.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#26  Edited By Outside_85

@The Mighty Monarch: true...and Deadpool...buts thats a different kind of wall :)

RockyIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RockyIII

so, has Batman beaten anyone, according to this feature, yet? I say the next one should be Batman vs. Gregg K. and see how that goes LOL

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@RockyIII said:

so, has Batman beaten anyone, according to this feature, yet? I say the next one should be Batman vs. Gregg K. and see how that goes LOL

Technically, no.  He tied with Captain America, lost to Wolverine, and now I think he'd lose in a very close fight against Black Panther. 

Batman vs. Me? Batman ends that 10/10 times with one move! haha.
soir8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By soir8

@usabfb: The problem is he'd need to take the time to discover that weakness, and then it would be very dificult to exploit effectively given how T'Chala is an extremely skilled combatant. In the meantime, Batman's armour is completely useless against Black Panther's weapons.

The article quite accurately gives Black Panther the advantage in everything but intelligence and skill, and the skill part is very debatable. I'd have said it was completely fair to call them even in terms of skill. Then, on top of that, he's got enhanced physical abilities, much better armour and superior technology.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I would say T'Challa 6/10 nice article....I love this segment

new_onslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By new_onslaught

In 3 matches, Batman loses 2 and ties in one? Something is wrong here...

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@TheAmazingImmortalMan said:

I would say T'Challa 6/10 nice article....I love this segment

Thanks!
Avatar image for scarlet_spider_forever
Scarlet_Spider_Forever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's Batman. Batman vs. Black Panther. Batman.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AlKusanagi

Has anyone ever seen the Mr. Show sketch about Imminent Death Syndrome? I bet that's what is going on in the DC Universe, and everyone knows who Bruce is and has IDS, so all the heroes and villains are just going along with it.

"Wow, Batman. You sure are amazing to be able to beat all of us in the Justice League! You are the best and fastest and strongest and smartest hero of all time! What? He's gone? Man... One day one of us is accidentally going to bump into him during a battle and destroy his fragile human body with our godlike strength..."

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By reignmaker

Black Panther beats pretty much ANY street-level superhero...according to the Comic Vine battle forums.

-_-

tchalla3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By tchalla3000

A lot of people say Batman needs prep time, but the fact of the matter is he does that every time he meets a new enemy. He never dives in head first, but assesses the situation and test the opponent first to see what they are capable of. Durability really means nothing when Black Panther has never beat Killmonger. With that said the fight would be 7-3 Black Panther thanks to his new updates. Before his "King of The Dead" enhancements, it probably would have been a stalemate.

RockyIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RockyIII

@k4tzm4n said:

@RockyIII said:

Technically, no. He tied with Captain America, lost to Wolverine, and now I think he'd lose in a very close fight against Black Panther. Batman vs. Me? Batman ends that 10/10 times with one move! haha.

Hah! I bet.

The fan boy in me feels a little hurt that Batman hasn't won one yet, but I do enjoy this feature a lot, keep up the great work.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dondave

Correct assessment

natewhite192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By natewhite192

i cant really say im a fan of these segments, the problem is with comparing batman to MARVEL characters is that a majority of them are overpowered, captain america is trained in most styles of combat, so`s wolverine and so`s black panther, and on top of that they are all "genius`s," and then they get a power added on as well. then there is BP`s amour, how the hell can it withstand blows from the hulk and lighting strikes and probly god knows what else, it`s not really grounded in reality what so ever, batman on the other hand is more grounded with reality (not much more, but enough,) BP having his super amour is just lazy writing for humans being able to survive being hit by the hulk, batman though while in his normal gear doesnt have super resistances, when he gets hit of superhumans it usually means hes broke a bone or 2, marvel give there human characters gimmicky amour so the writers can keep there human character alive

kuma_far

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kuma_far

This is a well thought argument, Black Panther surely mops the floor with Batman

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mega_spidey01

black panther would win due to the power upgrades.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@natewhite192 said:

i cant really say im a fan of these segments, the problem is with comparing batman to MARVEL characters is that a majority of them are overpowered, captain america is trained in most styles of combat, so`s wolverine and so`s black panther, and on top of that they are all "genius`s," and then they get a power added on as well. then there is BP`s amour, how the hell can it withstand blows from the hulk and lighting strikes and probly god knows what else, it`s not really grounded in reality what so ever, batman on the other hand is more grounded with reality (not much more, but enough,) BP having his super amour is just lazy writing for humans being able to survive being hit by the hulk, batman though while in his normal gear doesnt have super resistances, when he gets hit of superhumans it usually means hes broke a bone or 2, marvel give there human characters gimmicky amour so the writers can keep there human character alive

Sorry to hear that, but a few points (just about the feature, I don't mean to be rude but I'm not interested in a conversation about which company is more 'realistic'): 
-This isn't limited to Marvel characters. The only rule is they have to be non-DC and street level. 
-Captain America was the first choice because that was the most obvious.  Not seeing how that's unfair since I declared it to be a tie. Secondly, I wanted to get Wolverine out of the way because that's something I received numerous requests for in PMs. Last of all, Black Panther was selected by the community. I had a poll for the next character and he took a majority over the likes of Daredevil and the Ninja Turtles. 
-So, just because he doesn't have a good track record at the moment doesn't mean there won't be matches where he narrowly wins or flat-out wrecks. This segment is still young and there's still a lot to see :D  

@RockyIII said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@RockyIII said:

Technically, no. He tied with Captain America, lost to Wolverine, and now I think he'd lose in a very close fight against Black Panther. Batman vs. Me? Batman ends that 10/10 times with one move! haha.

Hah! I bet.

The fan boy in me feels a little hurt that Batman hasn't won one yet, but I do enjoy this feature a lot, keep up the great work.

Hey now, Batman gave T'Challa a run for his money here! :) 

@dondave said:
Correct assessment

Thank you. 
@kuma_far said:

This is a well thought argument, Black Panther surely mops the floor with Batman

Thanks.
new_onslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By new_onslaught

Why everyone forgets that Batman can call his Batplane for an airstrike?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@new_onslaught said:

Why everyone forgets that Batman can call his Batplane for an airstrike?

Because they're not in Gotham and that's total overkill in this situation -- not to mention Batman's in character (meaning his morals apply).
MaxSchreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45  Edited By MaxSchreck

Can somebody tell me what Black Panthers standart equippment is ?I doub Panther would use all the gadgets that are listed in the equipment section of the article . Wasn`t this fight supposed to be a random encounter without prep ? If it isn`t a Batman fan could simply argue that Batman would bring battle armor like the one he used in Dark Knight Returns . ,

jorgeareizaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jorgeareizaga

Black Panter is thrash and Batman is his and our God

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@MaxSchreck said:

Can somebody tell me what Black Panthers standart equippment is ?I doub Panther would use all the gadgets that are listed in the equipment section of the article . Wasn`t this fight supposed to be a random encounter without prep ? If it isn`t a Batman fan could simply argue that Batman would bring battle armor like the one he used in Dark Knight Returns . ,

What I listed in the feature is his standard equipment (see New Avengers #1).  Sure, a fan could argue that for Batman but it would make no sense because that isn't his standard gear.
Darkus_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Darkus_99

No one can beat Batman! He's the BEST! And he can defeat anyone. Even if he fails in the 1st battle, he'll win the next or the final!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Meh, I'd give it to Batman.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers