Do you want Bruce Wayne to retire as Batman???

• 72 results
ratman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By ratman19

No. just like i dont want clark kent to retire, peter parker to retire,James howlett to retire,or wade wilson to retire.

Avatar image for marveldcman9999
MarvelDCMan9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know I'm kind of sick of this whole "Batman will never retire" bull shit, haven't you guys ever watched Batman Beyond or read The Dark Knight Returns?

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a fan, but I can't imagine why he should vs any other hero that doesn't really age. If it's set in the future, like batman beyond, it's a different ballgame. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you'd single him out when nobody else really does. If anything he's about the last to retire. He's nuts, playing batman is all he really seems to care about. I think batman beyond pegged him. He'd push the gig past his prime, maybe till some debilitating injury, or a wakeup call about how his age is catching up, then live vicariously through a new robin or batman. He's never going to be happy and retire on the beach and enjoy his fortune

But your question is do we want him to retire? To what end, a replacement? His non-masked identity seems secondary, in his wacky mind, batman's his real identity. Batman lurks in the shadows, plays the quiet game, ninja kind of style and all. A replacement wouldn't have much opportunity to bring much else to that formula. A wacky loud junk talking ninja type? His badguys are the ones that bring the charisma. So i wouldn't see any need to retire him for someone new. Just mho

chrisj_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mtrakos said:

Batman is the person. Bruce is the "face" Why Batman Beyond bothered me I guess. I could never see him stepping aside, he will die in that cowl. It would be kinda cool to see him eventually break and go to the lazarus pit.

He actually did at one point in the cartoon. Didn't like it because it wasn't natural.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No. I think Bruce should always be Batman in the present.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dick Grayson should stay nightwing and leave the batman-ing to Bruce

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

User Lists: 1

In DCnU no. In DCU not quite yet...

I would have loved to see DC writers understand the writing of an epic and take a queue from the history of writing and what an epic is.

Basically an Epic is a three-fold cyclical story

Part 1.1 through 1.3: Green Lantern - Alan Scott could be considered the first King of Gotham. He came up and became Gotham's hero, but then the monster defeated Alan Scott via he not being able to keep up with the crime

Part 2.1 through 2.2: Batman - Bruce Wayne rises to power rescuing Gotham from Crime only to be faced with even stronger monsters.

This is almost where we are in DCU and 2.3 would have happened if Darkseid had killed Bruce for real or Bruce retired to a large degree after his return...which he sorta did and the next and last part of the epic (even though technically epics can keep going)... In 3.1 You'd have had the Rise of Red Robin or Dick Grayson... either would have been good for the final part of the epic.

I know some of you are then asking... how does Terry McGuiness fit into this then since you are saying the 3rd part is the finale. Well Terry would be the beginning of a new epic or part 2 of even larger epic... Part 1 of this massive Epic would be the 1900-2050 Normal DCU Part 2 would be 2050-??? The Beyond Era... Part 3 3100?-???? The Legion Era... Of course you could also change this to Normal Era, Legion Era, and 1,000,000 Era.

That would be too hard for them to think of though >.>

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No comics are and should be the neverending story of these characters. They were there for generations before us and they should be there for the generations after us.

If you come to the point where you don't like it not moving on then it's most likely time for you to move on.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I'd only be ok with Bruce retiring for good if all of comics decided to stick to a certain continuity and march forward with time. Frankly, if the editors/writers had the balls to do that, I'd be behind them 100%. Seeing as no one is ever going to make that tough choice, we might as well get comfortable with Bruce.

However, that doesn't mean the movies couldn't do that - move beyond Bruce. I'd be fine if they did that now actually, but you know the rabid fanbase would never allow it. So as a result, we might as well settle back and enjoy the regurgitated product we get (à la The Amazing Spider-Man).

Breadspread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Recent Dick Grayson stories have been really good and I don't mind Dick as a fill-in from time to time, but Batman will always be Bruce Wayne.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

There is also another thing that I wanted to bring up...

I don't mind universes moving on with time...in fact I prefer that in a lot of ways, and I don't mind reboots to a certain degree, but not new52's garbage mind you...

What I have proposed before and which the idea has occurred in DC before... just not well executed is that you divide up your line up so you have comics in all parts of the timeline so that as time moves on the characters grow and evolve but also keep updated... and there is still much room to expand on.

Barbara Gordon's Batgirl history is largely untold in any era. Dick Grayson's Robin is untold in the modern and New52 era. Batman's first 10 or so years in the modern era haven't been told nor has his pre-batman time... Same with Superman. And then you also have many more worlds and histories to explore like Krypton, New Genesis, Rann, Thanagar, Oa, and Sinestro's homeworld. Not to mention the times of the Old Gods and the time before the Guardians that we now know of... There is an abundant amount of stuff to explore. It's just a matter of them not doing it well or at all.

The 2 times I know of that they split up the present day from the past is Legend of the Dark Knight originally and Action Comics in the new52 is supposed to be that way... I guess so is Demon Knights... though that only matters if you follow JLD for the most part... though some things have turned up in other books from Demon Knights... like the Black Diamond that Catwoman stole which was originally from hell...

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed Dick Grayson Batman. He was fun and relatable. Bruce Wayne always seems so uptight and moody. I personally feel that they should've kept Dick as Batman. It would've allowed for more variety in the stories. Because I feel like we're retreading the same road with the current batman stories.

wolverine1610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see him retire and let someone else be batman, maybe dick again

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By RustyRoy
dmreyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seeing as they rebooted Batman and condensed his history to 5 years, he's not going to retire anytime soon. Even in pre52 he never felt "old". He may have been between 35-40 years old but he was playing at the top of his game. Maybe not realistic for "most" people...but then again you can write it off for the simple reason that Batman got a shovel lodged into his chest before falling into a Lazarus Pit in "Birth of the Demon", thus "de-aging" him.

ssbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmic_hobo: i am with you bro i want bruce gone i mean dont get me wrong i love bruce and all but yea change would be fun but i dont think we can retire him though i think he would die before that but i am sure someone could come up with a good enough reason for him to i would love to see dick as batman again i really enjoyed it and i think it should have continued to be honest well we can hope

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

The only worthy batman is damian. Other than him, no !

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No it wuld ruin the personality of the Bat

PCN24454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What would be the point of training all of these Robins and Batgirls if they wouldn't replace him eventually.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@cosmic_hobo: Same here. Dick and Damian as the dynamic duo could have went on forever as far as I was concerned.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want Batman to retire and DC to invent new heroes ...