#1 Edited by Thequanglewanglequee (21 posts) - - Show Bio

I was wondering if batman death in the family is worth reading. Would you consider it to be well written, and does it show age?

#2 Edited by Bogey (929 posts) - - Show Bio

Iran is still a demonized country so it's well written. The artwork is where it's at though. My gramps drew the crap out of it.

#3 Posted by RustyRoy (9207 posts) - - Show Bio

Its an average book, not well written. The only reason why its popular is Robin is killed by votes.

#4 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (5550 posts) - - Show Bio

I was kind of underwhelmed by it, as I'd heard so often it was brilliant. It's not bad though.

#5 Posted by AweSam (7060 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: I stopped listening to people after I read Knightfall.

It's an okay story and the art isn't really bad. The writing isn't bad. I liked it.

#6 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (4918 posts) - - Show Bio

I still want to read it.

#7 Posted by RustyRoy (9207 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (4918 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy: I want to read the story on how Jason died, heard it was a good arc.

#9 Posted by RustyRoy (9207 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by wyjim (37 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't even think it's essential reading anymore. People who don't really even read Batman comics know that a Robin died way back in the day, and Batman suffered emotionally for it. It's a lot of ridiculousness to read for a shock that's already known. It was a letdown for me.

I'd rather recommend Robin: Year One that came out in the early 2000s. It follows Dick Grayson as Robin and has some elements and situations that better mirror and tell a Robin in peril and a Batman distraught and questioning taking a young ward into crimefighting a lot better than Death in the Family did, in my opinion.

#11 Posted by Jayc1324 (5225 posts) - - Show Bio

I find it to be a good book. It doesn't feel like it was written for the purpose of killing robin, even thought the title suggests that. It actually has a good story that just happens to end with robins death. I would get it, and it's a classic

#12 Posted by Al_capOWN (512 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this the one from New 52? Or was there another death in family pre52?

#13 Posted by pretur22 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

@al_capown: pre 52, the one from 52 is death of the the family.

#14 Posted by TDK_1997 (13684 posts) - - Show Bio

It's an essential reading.Was it good?Not much.It's an average book and it has fans but you shouldn't expect anything special.

#15 Posted by impossibilly (876 posts) - - Show Bio

@bogey said:

Iran is still a demonized country so it's well written. The artwork is where it's at though. My gramps drew the crap out of it.

Wait, your grandfather is Jim Aparo?

#16 Edited by Bogey (929 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by impossibilly (876 posts) - - Show Bio

@bogey: Your grandfather is my all-time favorite Batman artist.