#1 Edited by Smart_Dork_Dude (2519 posts) - - Show Bio

Contrary to popular belief, but costumed crime fighters existed before Superman was first published. They weren't called superheroes, as that term was not coined yet, but they were instead called a few names. Crime fighters, mystery men, masked adventurers, the list goes on. Some even had what could be considered superpowers, though they were either magical or explained that they had trained to achieve them.

However Superman is the one that broke the mold and established the superhero. The clearly superhuman feats, the bright colorful costume, it all came from Superman.

However this leads me to the Pulp heroes, as they are called now. The original costumed crime fighters such as The Shadow

The Spider

The Green Hornet

And Lone Ranger and Zorro

Today the spirit of these characters live on. They live on in one of the more popular characters in comics............... Batman

Batman shares the same spirit with the pulp heroes of old. He wears dark colors like the Shadow, The Spider, and Zorro. Also like Zorro has a hideout under his home and like both The Shadow and Zorro passes himself off as an unassuming wealthy man. Like The Green Hornet and Lone Ranger he has an equally iconic crime fighting partner. Batman also uses gadgets, in a similar manner to Green Hornet who utilizes a gas gun. He also has an iconic mode of transportation very much like Lone Ranger, Zorro, and Green Hornet as well. Also his colorful rogues gallery is in fact almost entirely lifted from many Pulp heroes who also had unusual and sometimes downright vile enemies. In fact the very first Batman story published was a total replica of a Shadow story!

Batman also works in a more grounded reality, without the need for the supernatural or fantastic, something that many Pulp heroes are set in. Sure, they have SOME elements of the fantastical, but for Batman these small amounts work as well. So is Batman the last true Pulp hero or not?

#2 Posted by _Gaff_ (2376 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he is the last. This guy had a good run, until the new 52 turned him into an ancient supernatural being.

#3 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (27351 posts) - - Show Bio

Daredevil was also until Waid changed all that. But the original pulp heroes you mentioned are still alive and well under Dynamite these days.

#4 Edited by Smart_Dork_Dude (2519 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

He was based on them.

Saddly with times popularity give him pointless powers... oh sorry i mean "skills".

#6 Posted by Mitrageist (7160 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure he still counts as one. I've read very few pulp comics but they seem to have a fairly different feel than Batman. And he's far more gadget/training-centric than they seem to be.

#7 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16861 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is a superhero. And he came around shortly after Superman. Just because he does not have powers does not mean he is not a superhero. He wears a costume, he has feats and skills that are pretty much impossible to do in real life. Plus he came around when the term was coined.

#8 Posted by RustyRoy (9230 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is a superhero. And he came around shortly after Superman. Just because he does not have powers does not mean he is not a superhero. He wears a costume, he has feats and skills that are pretty much impossible to do in real life. Plus he came around when the term was coined.

I think he started out as a pulp hero, he was even based on Zorro and had many similarities with the above mentioned heroes but with time he became less pulp and more like a superhero.

@mitran said:

I'm not sure he still counts as one. I've read very few pulp comics but they seem to have a fairly different feel than Batman. And he's far more gadget/training-centric than they seem to be.

Wasn't there a Noir style Batman book by Azz a few years back?

#9 Posted by Mitrageist (7160 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@mitran said:

Wasn't there a Noir style Batman book by Azz a few years back?

Yes, but I'd call that more of a throwback to his roots. Batman can be a pulp hero, but far more often than not he isn't.

#10 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16861 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy: Maybe. But he has changed so much since he started. I mean he carried a gun and killed people too. Look at where he is now.

#11 Posted by RustyRoy (9230 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy: Maybe. But he has changed so much since he started. I mean he carried a gun and killed people too. Look at where he is now.

I agree that he changed but he did start out as a pulp hero, but yeah with time he became more than that.

#12 Posted by RustyRoy (9230 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

Yes, but I'd call that more of a throwback to his roots. Batman can be a pulp hero, but far more often than not he isn't.

Agreed.

#13 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (16861 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

I agree that he changed but he did start out as a pulp hero, but yeah with time he became more than that.

Hmm I guess he did.

#14 Posted by Alexander505 (2138 posts) - - Show Bio

Depend by what kind of Batman we talking about. For example the Batman Burton is a pulp hero, and the same thing we can say about the Batman TAS. The current Batman isn't a pulp hero anymore, but a superhero.